Over 60s training.

128,601 to 128,620 of 133,912 messages
11/03/2013 at 16:04

Hi D

I wince at the mere thought.

My first ever half marathon was over similar terrain - Sussex Downland. I turned up in old Dunlop green flash trainers having not trained either off road or on hills. But I was fast over about 3 miles on flat pavements!

I had no idea of pacing, fluids (it was August I think) or the course we were running. I misjudged the distance and put in a final surge over the last mile - which was actually about 4 miles from the finish. Apart from the fact that I didn't tie my shoelaces together I guess I did just about everything wrong that I could!

By some miracle I finished in about 1:44 - and couldn't walk downstairs for about 3 days afterwards.

However I was hooked! Perhaps we are all just pain junkies?

11/03/2013 at 16:55

I know I should feel sympathetic towards you all as you face high winds and snow, but I am looking out of my window at a couple of feet of snow. It is warm 5c and I could be in shorts tomorrow but not quite there today.

NZC,
Impressive running. I have promised myself a return to NZ somewhere in the future.

TS,
Not bad for a hung over run. Never had a hangover but I know what a migraine feels like.

4x4s today. They went well but felt hard. My battery died in the middle so no data to post. My running buddy had me around 4:25 per km for the 4 mins. On average 10s per km quicker than this time last year.
Feeling pooped so skipped the gym today. 

This week should be around 40 miles with two speed sessions and one LSR. Next speed is Thursday so a couple of easy days to look forward to.

Mick

aws
11/03/2013 at 16:57

jb6 - Tying your shoelaces together can help you get downstairs quicker

al

11/03/2013 at 18:29
Mick6
-------but you get your roads cleared!! The roads around where I live are covered with snow and it is freezing. No gritting has taken place at all despite the fact that our road leads to one of the train car parks. But of course I do know that we have nothing to put up with compared to what you have to endure. Pity about the death of your battery today when doing your intervals.
11/03/2013 at 18:52

Hello

Columba is that how they decide on Moters Day - I never knew that

JJ i follow someone on Twitter from Tunbride Wells apparently in the local paper Robin Hood wasn't from Nottinham but from Tunbridge Wells and called William

Mick talking to a young lad at work yesterday he's moving to Canada next year for a year Vancouver. Talking about the weather he will face  Can't moan bout the old here. He does love the snow  though

11/03/2013 at 18:54

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21739820

11/03/2013 at 18:57

won't allow me to do links.  copy and paste

11/03/2013 at 18:59

Ceal Theres a lot of Fury on twitter tonight Southend is best avoided tonight roads like an ice rink

11/03/2013 at 19:25

Biting icy east wind with occasional blizzards to go with it,  could have wimped out but felt determined to do a bit. Car external temperature 0 deg centi.

Gateman wasn't on at the park entrance so was able to park free and instead of a mile outside near a roundabout.  This way I could run without having to use the muddy trails first. 

Well togged up, unsurprisingly it takes ages to warmup the muscles due to penetrating cold.  Ran a full circuit of the lakes and a little more to cover 4 miles.  Enough for me when its like this
11.59,  11.18,  10.51,  10.40.

11/03/2013 at 19:29

John b
Neville Ground is spot on.

Pammie
I'm Little John, also from T.Wells but my real name is Gladys.

Columba
She's certainly milking the sympathy vote.
JJ

11/03/2013 at 20:08

JJ - my maternal gdad came from Faversham Kent, can't remember if I've already told you that. He used to say we were related to Guy Fawkes. You wouldn't believe the shock I got when I decided to do some family history research and typed in the search engine Faversham Kent and it came up with "The gunpowder plot".

So I guess every story has a little bit of truth in it.

Columba - I always remember that ours is in May, because my Mum's birthday was in May, and she'd get her birthday present, followed shortly by her mother's day present.

It's the 2nd Sunday in May, and I had a look to see when other countries celebrate theirs. They said in Australia Chrysantemums are a popular gift as they are in NZ - never thought that much about them, but I guess they are naturally in season then and they say it ends in mum, so that's quite cute. And they last forever!

Mick and all, I think it is amazing that you guys can get your running done in the conditions that you have to face.

I'm feeling rather stuffed today, and the sun is shining down brightly - so I'm thinking a day in the garden, or maybe go out later.

12/03/2013 at 07:57
Well it has snowed all night and we will be going nowhere. Even opening our doors to the outside world was a struggle because of drifting snow. Roads like A23 and M23 which is about 6 miles from here has been grid locked all night long. Poor people in the cars.

I was meant to be going to a Turner exhibition today at Petworth House. That is a no goer! That is the 2nd exhibition I have recently had to miss.
12/03/2013 at 08:32

good morning

Ceal
welcome to the north
Shame you will miss the Turner exhibition today. Is it on for long? I saw the one in London many years ago and was bowled over by seeing so much of his work together - the true father of expressionism - or blind as a bat!!!
In reality it was more tiredness than drink - I had not got to bed until 0200 and was up again at 0700 and fizzy stuff always gives me a bad head

Impey
it was nice out there wasn't it??

Mick6
Three hard runs a week is pushing it a bit. I always class the long run as a hard one because of the recovery needed!!

NZC
thanks -  I can see the detail now. It looks like a perfect long, slow run - 18 miles at 9:15m/m pace ticks all the boxes for marathon preparation and gets the body used to burning fats as a fuel source. Your hilly bits will help with that as well!!!
I was surprised how urban much of the run was - I had the impression that you were running in the countryside!!!

Funny you should mention Guy Fawkes. In the pub last week we all sat around a long old oak table which bore a plaque saying it was taken from Scotton Hall the home of Guy Fawkes - Scotton is  a little village a few miles away from us and famous for its connection with Fawkes - the local pub there not surprisingly is called The Guy Fawkes

Looks like I will be looking for flour in the snow tonight !!!

Edited: 12/03/2013 at 08:33
12/03/2013 at 08:33

still small print on typing!!!!

12/03/2013 at 09:40

TS - better make it wholemeal flour, then.

12/03/2013 at 09:45

JB - I suspect we are all junkies, as you say. I get quite unsettled and aimless-feeling if I haven't run for a few days, or at least been for a fast walk.

Item of useless information follows, inspired by Pammie's question:

Mothering Sunday (the ancestor of Mother's Day) was fixed on the 4th Sunday in Lent in the Church of England, this being the day when girls "in service" were allowed to go home to visit their mothers, taking with them a cake which they had baked themselves, as evidence of what they'd been taught by the cook in the household where they were working. On their way home they would pick a bunch of wild spring flowers. Hence the tradition of giving Mum flowers or something sweet.

Or so I read somewhere, once.

12/03/2013 at 09:47

Sounds really grim in the sarf-east. I can't imagine the miseries of spending the night in a cold car. Here there's a sprinkling of snow, with the sun shining down on it very prettily.

12/03/2013 at 13:23
TS
The Turner exhibition at Petworth is showing his work done around Sussex. Yes his work is very dark. I was hoping the exhibition would be well lit because there are many paintings in the house but the lighting (for obvious reasons) is very dirgy. I think it is over very soon so will miss it altogether.

Pammie
Have you been doing any running towards your marathon, you don't mention that you have done so.

Columba
Thank you for the info on Mother's Day, I didn't know, but of course now I do, it makes perfect sense.

The sun has been out now for an hour or so and the temps rose enough to melt some of the snow on the roads, which spells disaster when it freezes again this evening. Fluffy, like Mick6's dogs,has to have a path dug for him. He had tried to go out but his little legs sunk down with his undercarriage holding him up!! He has since gone out further down the garden when it got warmer and came in with all his fur holding great lumps of snow, being a long haired cat, I guess this was unavoidable.
12/03/2013 at 16:23

TS,
I, too, consider a long run an intense workout so yes that is three a week. I have built up to this very gradually and have made sure that they are well spaced in the week. I make a special effort to recover using both electrolyte and protein drinks immediately after the workout. I have also taken to wearing compression socks after an intense workout which seems to help a lot, not sure why but it was suggested by my physio. I also make sure I do a black roller session at least once a week.
I run 6 days a week and have held my mileage over 40 miles a week for 5 weeks with no issues. I do gym work 5 days a week which includes at least 30 mins of stretching, although I have cut back on the weight work since my mileage has been higher.
Right now I feel stable, no excessive tiredness or soreness and feel I am ready to get the most out of the coming weeks, where I will be increasing my speed workout intensity.
I think I differ from you in that my easy days are very easy and comfortable runs with an average pace around 9 min miles and no hills.

ceal,
Yes you are right the road and pavement clearing here is spectacular. It is very rare for roads to be block and pavements are usually ploughed with 24 hours of a storm.
Although we have 2 feet of snow remaining all the pavements and roads are clear.
We are in a big melt at the moment and the snow is disappearing fast.
We have very different weather from Vancouver where it tends to rain a lot and they have much milder weather generally.

An easy recovery 9k for me today, with a comfortable 12k planned for tomorrow.

Edited: 12/03/2013 at 16:25
12/03/2013 at 18:26

Mick - well done on the 40 miles a week for 5 weeks!

Ceal - not nice to feel trapped and to miss out on things. Poor old Fluffy!

Torque Steer - thanks for the comment on my long run. It might look like an easy run on paper, but it was a big effort. All the runs I do with the Y are on urban streets. Not very interesting, but gets the job done. 

I used to do my long run with my Saturday morning group, and that was mainly done in the hills of the Waitakere ranges, but a few of the group had been training for Ironman, ocean swims etc and were weren't on the same page for running, so found it easier to go to the Y on Sunday and join a pack that I could fit into easily.

I ran O'Hagan's "5k" last night. I always thought it was a fast/short course, mainly because it turns and has lots of road crossings which are always taken at an angle, so if the course was not measured as the runners go it had to be short.

It was 25 degrees driving into town, so didn't do much of a warm up at all. I knew it was going to be a shock to the system as I haven't run anything fast for a while. Although I had my garmin on and could hear it beeping at the km marks, I didn't look, thought I'd run it like I usually do, and see what happened. I also wanted to see what my heart rate looked like.

1km 4.32.6

2km 4.44.4

3km 4.57.3

4km 4.51.9

5km 4.07.7 really .82km

So 4.82km 23.17 average pace 4.50 Average heartrate 174 temp 24degrees

I was so hot, I was still red when I got home!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.