Over 60s training.

128,641 to 128,660 of 133,488 messages
14/03/2013 at 10:50
Both my nose and eyes stream when I run in cold weather.

Mick6
What I meant by fit didn't refer to just running. I was putting the word into a fuller context. Thus including your fitness gained in the gym etc. very very many runners (me included) are only running fit.

Yesterday I competed a 30 mins new kettlebell routine, followed by 23 mins weights on upper body then 10 mins standing abs and a full cool down and stretch, this one always highlights how inflexible I am.

Today I followed a 30 mins abs work out today. By the last 10 mins this felt tough. Then I did a Pilates stretch cool down, I was hopeless at this and I used to regularly do Pilates. I finished with my usual stretch routine.
14/03/2013 at 11:45

good morning

eye strain still with us - I posted a note on the FAults page but nothing has happened.

Busbar
gave up on work - sounds a nice way to go 
NZC treatment for her shoulder sounded a bit drastic!!
When my physio was working on my knee a while back she provoked a reaction in the shoulder - it's all about nerve connectivity. I wonder if your shoulder has anything to do with your leg problem - a referal of nerves??? Is the timing similar?

NZC
my pleasure - it's always good to see how folk get such good performances - I might be able to pinch an idea or two
Do you know what your resting and maximum HR are?

Mick6
tough target for your 5K - I shall watch with interest!!!

Columba
tissues sound very posh - afraid I long ago perfected the art of the one fingered nostril clear out on the run !!
I had a very bad sinusitus a few years ago and the doc said that it could linger on despite antibiotics and nasal spray at the time - and it has.
There is a girl in my g'daughter's class who is allergic to cold and has to stay in during weather like this otherwise she goes into shock

Diana
very steady run despite undulations - good going

Ceal
you are turning into a proper gym bunny!!
Reminds me that I have been a bit deliquent in some of my exercises 

Another glorious but cold, sunny morning -7C overnight and a light sprinkling of new snow made everything shiny - so shiny I could scarcely see running into the low angle sun

7.1 miles done in 59:35 (8:24m/m) in what I thought was steady aerobic pace but Garmin told me avHR 177 and a max of 220 so I have lost all faith in its HR capabilities!!

1m 8:18
2m 8:21
3m 8:15
4m 8:32
5m 8:29 
6m 8:36
7m 8:14
.1m 0:48

This is about my flatest route having only 80m of climb overall despite Hipps Hill being in miles 6 and 7 and I felt I was moving quite economically - it would have been nice to have the evidence to back up the impression

Edited: 14/03/2013 at 11:48
14/03/2013 at 11:56

...........oh - on my not so regular weigh in I found I had grovelled under 13.5 stones this morning immediately after the run and before breakfast.
It just shows what clean living can do for one - only real ale, wholemeal bread, porridge fruit and champagne from now on

14/03/2013 at 14:53

TS-You looked quiet trim when i last saw you at hyde park,you certainly can still run quick theres no doubt about that.For myself i have put on about 10lbs with being out.

Managed to cajole myself out today about 12-30pm after seeing ts post,inspired me to do something.Ran 6.60 av pace 9.05. the first 3 miles of this run are very undulating so i was in oxygen debt for a bit of time.Think the hr readings are rubbish but we will see.

mile 1--9.20--avhr 144 max hr228
mile2--8.47--avhr  127 maxhr 144
mile3-10.27-avhr   129 maxhr139
mile4-8.30--avhr   134 maxhr 136
mile5-8.15--avhr   135 maxhr 138
mile6-9.19-avhr    137 maxhr 139
0.60--5.32-avhr    140 maxhr 143

Ceal-That some training your doing.

14/03/2013 at 15:08

My right eye waters in the cold far more than the left, no idea why! I used to suffer from sinusitis quite regularly, but since taking up running, it has only happened once. I certainly seemd to get rid of a huge amount of gunk over the first year, or even more. An unexpected benefit for me!

Thanks TS. I was pleased as I felt I was runnning slowly (which of course I was relative to some!) but it was a lot brisker than it had felt.

There are wierd connections in the body. When it was suspected that OH had ruptured his spleen (which he had) it was initially suspected because of shoulder pain, which was followed by a drop in blood pressure.

We have lovely sunshine again, and ate breakfast in the conservatory. OH has just taken grandson off to Beaulieu Motor Museum, so I will be able to do my daily run. Just a short easy one today.

14/03/2013 at 16:52

DD - now you mention it, I realise that my right eye waters more than my left, as well.

Ceal - in what ways might one not be fit, if one was nevertheless running fit?

Busbar - even in oxygen debt you're still pretty fast!

Been for another swimming lesson. Must be improving, as it didn't make me feel as tired as previously (legs moving more efficiently?) - still can't co-ordinate legs and arms though; legs flounder when arms come into play.

14/03/2013 at 17:30

TS,
It is a shame you cannot see your HR profile, I find it so important at this stage of your training cycle. Another good session.
My first 5k race is on a flat and fast course so yes it is a tough target but it is within reach. It should be a PB as a 65+ !!!

ceal,
Thank you , yes I feel I have made huge progress in general fitness since of retiring, especially in upper body strength and core flexibility. It has come with a downside, increase in body weight, which has impacted my running. This training cycle will be interesting to see if the added strength can offset the increase weight.
You are always a great role model when it comes to other exercises. You are always exploring ways of making all of you work as it should and I have copied that in my approach to general fitness.

Diana, Columba,
Sensitivity to cold is very common here, especially runny nose. We get extreme temperatures so I guess it brings it out more but a lot of people will have to use inhalers before they exercise in cold weather.

We had a serious change in weather here, -9c, very windy and a layer of new snow, so the speed session got cancelled, very wimpy I know. We decided still to go out in it rather than do yet another treadmill session so just 7.5k, easy with my lowest HR for a while, 59% WHR.

Mick

14/03/2013 at 20:51

MIck6
sounds a good reason ot cancel the speed session!!!
It would have been good to get some HR  feedback - it felt about avHR 132 and a max of 142 - the first mile was av 120 but after that the data was screwed.

Busbar
Can't be bad to inspire someone to run 6+ miles
Good pace from you after such a long break.
It's my well cut clothes - they had a lot of bulges!!!

Columba
one could be a fast runner but hopeless at say sit ups, lifting weights or fit to play explosive sports such as rugby or football
Swimming sounds positive!!

aws
15/03/2013 at 08:07

Good morning

6.06M; 1:19:29.5; 13:07/M; 3°C

Average.

The font is quite large through my magnifying glass and the built-in magnifier function works quite well but everything goes dotty. (Sorry, not feeling geeky this morning)

al

15/03/2013 at 09:13

I much prefer "everything goes dotty" to clever-sounding talk about pixels!

Mick - good going, 7.5k outdoors in -9 degrees! It has turned much milder overnight here, and is raining.

TS - I see your point about being possibly fit to run but hopeless at lifting weights or playing rugby. But when  a doctor or physio says "you're very fit", they don't seem to mean generally; they probably mean cardio-vascularly.

15/03/2013 at 10:22

good morning

aws
good average!!

Columba
yes I would agree that is what most medics would call fit along with other vague generalisations like BMI which really mean nothing!!

It was supposed to be milder here as well and certainly all the white stuff had disappeared to be replaced by a grey, moist morning so I was tempted out without gloves and just a tee over my thermal - a mistake as the wind increased and it was bloomin' cold!!

Anywayup it was mile intervals with 400m jog recoveries after 1.2 miles of warm up and the aforesaid keen breeze to welcome me in the slight uphill section of my course.

1m 7:08 avhr 142 maxhr 151
2m 7:03 avhr 144 maxhr 154
3m 6:59 avhr 146 maxhr 154

quite enough!! I found myself sitting back on my hips in third one and had to make a conscious effort to "run tall" particularly into the wind. 
still quite pleased with results as it was not nice conditions and my legs were a bit tired after a fairly hard week so far

1.3 miles home at a very gentle pace

HR results were good avHr about 74-78% WHR with maxs in the 82-84% range so nicely pushing lactate threshold levels almost throughout.
Garmin behaved perfectly apart from me being unable to get it off the HR display and onto the stopwatch and I had to rely upon the beep and my telecoms box marker to tell me when each mile was complete!!

Garmin have said they are sending another strap............................. 

Edited: 15/03/2013 at 10:27
15/03/2013 at 11:00

T-S-Not surprised your happy with that workout,increasing pace and a good hr reading.
as well as a short recovery.A nice 6 to end as well.

Went swimming again this morning,very sedate pace but quite enjoyed it.

Have a good weekend all,and st patricks day i am not irish but may as well celebrate it

15/03/2013 at 11:16
I've done the following long runs for Brighton.

12, 14, 15, 17, 12 off-road, 13.1 came down with a cold, 13.1, 18 & 18

Think of not doing the last one as a 20 miler as didn't last year and was fine except for cramp. Have now managed to sort out cramp in my last 2 marathon, Beachy one of them and my worse for cramp.
15/03/2013 at 11:19
Good morning,

Mick6
I am not surprised that you cancelled the speed session. Thanks for your compliment to me. Not that everything is working as it should for me at the moment! I went to the Osteo yesterday and he spent time trying to pull my if toe out of its socket, or that is what it felt like! He is trying to mobilise my metatarsal joint.

busbar
Some good sedate swimming going on by you.

TS
Excellent session, I can see you worked hard. HR just where it should be for the effort. It's all coming together, week by week.

I have just finished a 55 min all body continuous kettlebell routine. It was more endurance based than strength. I used a heavier weight than usual. I most certainly noticed the difference after about 30 mins. It was only a 4k bell. Obviously I used one much heavier for the strength work which has little interval rests. I had to take a 30 sec break near the end of the routine, and the last ab exercise I gave up on, my abs were still tired from yesterday's effort.

Did anybody watch the trip down the Zambezi river by the Red Nose crew. They must be mad, totally. Hats off to them I say, but it could all have gone wrong.
15/03/2013 at 11:21
Tracey
Lots of good long runs there. If you think you can manage without the 20 mile, then do so. I would concentrate on a few shorter runs where you run just a bit faster than you would be doing so in the marathon. More like half mara pace. Just an idea.
15/03/2013 at 11:21
Yesterday's 18 miles
3:22:03
Average pace 11.13
10:57
10:48
10:55
10:52
11:07
10:53
10:53
11:25
11:14
11:20
11:33
11:24
11:00
11:15
11:06
12:03 -
11:13
11:54 - was tired now.

The other slower miles are hills.
15/03/2013 at 11:25
Ceal - was thinking of run 16 miles next week. As its out and back I could decided on how I feel in the early miles. I know that some runners say you should run more than a certain time on your long run.
15/03/2013 at 11:27
My last 2 long runs have been on tired legs
aws
15/03/2013 at 11:30

Sorry, you've just missed a totpic, it was empty when I started.

al

Edited: 15/03/2013 at 11:31
15/03/2013 at 12:48

Busbar
Thanks - however I did say that I was "quite pleased" not "happy" 
Did you enjoy your trip to Ireland - I seem to recall you were off over there when you last posted a while back?
How are your legs today after thrashing them yesterday??

Tracey
excellent!!!!
How long is it until your marathon. You probably need 3 weeks from your last big long run to start tapering to maximise energy reserves

Ceal
sounds painful - the toe manipulation I mean!!
Could your toe be impacting upon your ankle at all?
the kettlebell routine sounds just awesome!!
Thanks - yes a week of good sessions so far, probably the first like that, just need to round it off with a long (for me!) run on Sunday but there is a black tie dinner to overcome on Saturday night!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.