Over 60s training.

128,741 to 128,760 of 133,789 messages
21/03/2013 at 20:04

Evening  Hello catch up time again had a quick read through

TS Banbury you hounding all the places I know  have family there Will you run there  that place has hills

NZC I remember a school trip to I think was the natural history museum in London. They had an earthquake room which simulated what an earthquake was like

I have been doing a bit of running bit late getting restarted had a confidence crisis but getting there now and some cycling

21/03/2013 at 20:22

In Oxford all day yesterday with grandchildren and went to a school concert to see the 9 y.o. perform.

aws
I have donned my pedantry hat and in respect of the "will you" "won't you" conundrum I would agree that they are both positive but there is an implied meaning in each that is different. "Will you" implies that you are expecting the person to say yes. "Won't you" implies that you aren't sure about the response but are begging the recipient to say yes.

Nice run btw (modern grammar).

Tracey
Versistent consistent miling. You must have judged the effort into the wind very accurately.

Pammie
I was wondering this afternoon where you had got to. No need for any crisis of confidence in relation to running. You've been there and done that many times.

Ceal
In real terms it doesn't matter whether the tear was verticle, horizontal or diagonal. If it's an achilles tendon tear it's always going to be a long healing process.
JJ

21/03/2013 at 20:23

Nice runs Torque Steer and Tracey.

Pammie - you not doing your marathon now? What happened?

We went to Wellington to see Taj Mahal and Joan Armatrading - she is just great. We had beautiful weather - unusual for Wellington where it is usually very windy. 

Had a nice 9km run around the waterfront - very nice.

21/03/2013 at 20:38

Impey - mackerel and beetroot - sounds incredibly healthy. Impressed at your local children, shouting out multiplication tables while they play!

Ceal - I shall be in London the week after Easter. Will bear the Manet in mind. Is it advisable to book in advance to avoid queuing for hours? (I queued for hours to get into Van Goch, and didn't even attempt Leonardo). 

Pammie - glad you're back, and glad you've overcome the confidence crisis.

Been swimming, - last lesson until mid-April. Got advice about breathing and positioning of head. Apparently I should breathe out through both mouth and nose, and breathe in through nose only. I did a lot of spluttering.

aws
21/03/2013 at 22:43

JJ - I was just doing a bit of point scoring. I do of course completely agree with your fuller assessment.

How about this then: valuable means worth a lot, invaluable means worth a lot. Compare. (Marks out of 10.)

al

22/03/2013 at 01:24
Aws

How about........inflamable and flamable too !
22/03/2013 at 07:41
Good morning,

NZC
I once had a young Austrialian lady living with us , many moons ago, and I was introduced to Joan Armatrading and grew to really enjoy her music and her singing. How old is she now?

Columba
I would suggest that you book tickets to see the Manet exhibition, it was very busy indeed. Yes, get rid of your breath ASAP by all exit holes when swimming as one always breaths in but one can't if one's lungs are still filled up!! You will master the breathing very soon and once you have you will not look back.

Pammie
Come on gal, get yourself going, before getting back to running becomes very hard indeed. You have a marathon to look forward to.

Tracey
Did 14 miles feel short in comparison with your valiant 18 milers? You put in some good energy yet again, especially as it was so windy.

Tony,
Did your old HRM pack up. Because if not, one can marry it up with your newer watch. More good miles from you.

JJ
I bet you were a proud grandad at the concert.

Manet was brilliant, I really enjoyed it even though it was rather busy, but the rooms at the RA are quite large and there was space in the middle of the room to escape to, but around the paintings one had to have elbows etc, a bit like the start of a race. I exaggerate, the viewers were very well behaved.

John B is driving over here today to bring my re bouncer. Apparently he has a new car which he wants to do a long journey with it.
aws
22/03/2013 at 07:42

Good morning

7M; 1:32:08.4; 13:13/M; 2°C

Extra mile and pleased I could maintain the pace.

Impey - good one.

al

22/03/2013 at 09:15
Wow aws that is a long run from you. Well done indeed.
22/03/2013 at 16:33

Hi there

NZC after my fall I did sort of get back but then had a confidence crisis but back again. Marathon is still on not till Oct, though I know it will still come

JJ I know  cheers

Ceal yes

Weather is foul here left bike at work this morn as me and friend went to have breakfast this morning after a few hours sleep walked back to pick bike up horrible wind and definitely something in the air

22/03/2013 at 16:39

Ceal - what about the "in through the nose only" bit?

Puzzled as to what exactly John B is bringing you in his car.

Thanks for Manet advice.

Another question (I'm sure Ceal will have the answer). After I've been running, especially if it was long or hard, my right knee aches on the inside. It never hurts while I'm running. This has been the case for years, and I've ignored it since it isn't very bad and, as I say, does not occur while running. However, I've been doing some of those exercises which involve standing on the edge of a box or step, so that one foot is aligned with the edge and the other overhangs the edge; then lowering the overhanging foot to the ground by bending the knee, then raising it again. When the knee doing the bending is the left knee, I stay reasonably steady; when it's the right knee, I wobble. I did it in front of a mirror and sure enough the left knee "tracks" forward and back but the right knee wavers from side to side. 

And my question is: what do I do about it?

22/03/2013 at 17:19
Columba
I would tend to disagree about only breathing in through one's nose. The mouth is much easier and bigger to breath in through. Some swims wear nose clips and they most certainly breath in through their mouth. I always used to teach more emphasis on breathing out, do this when ones head/ face is either on or under the water, throughout both mouth and nose. More air will exit though the mouth. Then when the face is turned to the side and nose and mouth are in the small trough just breath in, I am not sure i ever taught which orifice to breath in from., it will just happen if you have let all your breath out. If you don't breath in then you will stop swimming when an oxygen debt has occurred!!!

I will have to think about your other question, but I would hazard a guess that any balancing exercises would be good. It would seem that there is a muscle imbalance in your R leg. This could be a weak muscle or it could be a tight muscle or both. Maybe, lunges would help.

Perhaps TS will be able to shed some light on this problem . I wonder if he has been to Banbury and back as planned. I hope he didn't encounter any snow problems en route.

My Physio recommended that I do some non impact strengthening work for my achilles on a trampett/rebounder and John B very kindly drove an hour or more to bring me his to borrow. I didn't even know he had one. He had a training run here on my trail and I rewarded him with a pleasant lunch.
Edited: 22/03/2013 at 17:21
22/03/2013 at 17:52

Well, it's the last cross-country race of the season tomorrow. A challenging course but one I always look forward to. While I'm grateful for small mercies in that we seem to have escaped the snow, it's going to be bitterly cold. Barely above freezing and with a strong easterly wind. The start/finish area is exposed at the top of a hill. Doesn't sound too inviting does it? 

I sometimes wonder about the pros and cons of weather forecasts. They're generally so accurate these days, often a week or so ahead. That's good for making plans but it also removes all hope that an improvement is just round the corner in the next day or two. At least in the NE it's going to stay like this until Easter weekend at the earliest.

I suppose all you can do is to promise yourself to appreciate and make the most of the nicer days we do have. And be grateful not to be flooded out like some are in the SW yet again.

Climate change? You can flipping keep it!

22/03/2013 at 18:18
Graham - it's 3 weeks to my marathon on Sunday.
22/03/2013 at 18:31

Tracey, it has to be better by then, surely? Could be too hot on the day, knowing our mad climate!

22/03/2013 at 19:30

Bitterly cold wind today. It caused face-ache when doodle walking.

aws
Valuable means "of high value". Invaluable means too valuable to put a price on so it's also of high value and is therefore more or less a synonym not an opposite.

Impey
Inflammable comes from the verb "to inflame" - set fire to. Flammable comes from the noun "flame". Two different sources with the same meaning.

Pedant or what?

Feeding time. Back later.
JJ

22/03/2013 at 19:53
Anybody watching/listening to the Madness concert on BBC4. I used to be a big fan. It's brilliant to hear them again.
aws
22/03/2013 at 20:51
http://alanshelley.co.uk/99059.jpg

wow a totpic at last

Fuschia

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 20:57
aws
22/03/2013 at 21:03

JJ - I like it ( and agree of course) . My point was that at first glance they sound like opposites ( how's that for mixed metaphors or summat?) as coherent and incoherent.

al

22/03/2013 at 22:01

Ceal
Madness is good value. Not quite bStatus Quo level but they'll do.
Miranda tries to do everything properly and almost always succeeds. She's about to audition for a part in a film of Swallows and Amazons.

aws
Very precise painting. Alan Shelley is an unusual name for a fuchsia variety. Looks more like Mrs. Popple.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.