Over 60s training.

128,821 to 128,840 of 134,597 messages
27/03/2013 at 12:36

Well I did it! - Hardly a run but my first venture outside with that intention. The hardest part was getting up the gumption to go out the front door.

A few stretches then (1 min run and 1 min walk) x 10 and few more stretches followed by a cup of tea.

The first minute run I felt totally uncoordinated and by the 7th I'd slowed to a very gentle jog but it's a start. 

27/03/2013 at 12:49

Pete, well done. I think we're all finding it hard to get out in this weather. What you did today was exactly how I began five years ago. Very sensible to start easily, at any age, and I'm sure you'll gradually increase the amount you run compared to walking. There's no great rush to get there. Staying motivated and free of injury are important.

27/03/2013 at 14:36
Looks like Bernard's, my husband for Pete. He pulled his right hamstring last Thursday, not as bad as I did before Beachy. He went out today and only managed a mile His not a happy bunny today His trained very hard with lots of long runs and a sub 4 hrs was on the cards. It's not worth starting and not finishing the marathon.
27/03/2013 at 16:50

Pete
excellent - good start.
You are better off doing the stretches after the run rather than befoer when the mucles have had a chance to warm up - less likelihood of injury.
whereabouts in the country are you?

27/03/2013 at 16:52

Tracey
Bad news - poor Bernard. Is it two weeks+ to the race? He might just make it if it's not too bad a pull

27/03/2013 at 17:13

Tracey, really sorry to hear that. As TS says, maybe there's still hope. What an easy thing this running would be without injury problems.

I had a meeting with Run Geordie Run this afternoon and getting really involved in the nitty-gritty of planning the run. I kept looking at him and thinking, this guy's going to run 41 miles a day across Australia before too long. Incredible.

Edited: 27/03/2013 at 17:14
27/03/2013 at 17:54

Hi Pete,
Well done on getting out there. 
I am 66 and having been running since High School so I think my body has now got the hang of it.

Tracey,
He may recover quickly you never know, but it must be very disappointing.

Very pleasant weather here, sunshine and everything. The snow is disappearing very quickly but there is a lot of it that needs to disappear.
I could well be getting my Bonnie back on the road this weekend, we just need a bit of rain to wash all the salt off the roads.

I managed an easy 7 miler today, nothing very interesting.

Where's MT?

27/03/2013 at 19:09
Bernard's friend son a PE teacher has a detached hamstring and is awaiting a operation
27/03/2013 at 19:38

No running today. Been to darkest Essex to play with grandaughter all day. Stuck in M25 jam for an hour on the way back.

Ceal
Try visualising me looking tyred.

TS
I am retyred.

(Bad puns finished)

aws
The curate's egg was entirely OK for breakfast.

Columba
Cakes are more important than timekeepers. We all have watches but we can't all make cakes.

Slowpete
A good way to start. Warmup the muscles before stretching. Better still, leave if until after the run.

Tracey
Comiserations to Bernard. Can he get some professional help to see if a a quick fix is likely?

JJ

Edited: 27/03/2013 at 19:39
27/03/2013 at 19:42

Torque Steer wrote (see)

You are better off doing the stretches after the run rather than befoer when the mucles have had a chance to warm up - less likelihood of injury.
whereabouts in the country are you?

I'm in Reading, Berkshire

On the subject of stretches - before is about loosening and warming up whereas after is about recovery and pulling the muscles back into shape by restoring the normal length of the muscle. 

I know that there is a theory that pre-excercise stretching is not that beneficial but I suspect that starting cold definitely isn't wise.

Edited: 27/03/2013 at 19:43
27/03/2013 at 19:44

Hmmm! 

My answer all ended up in the quote but never mind.

27/03/2013 at 20:56

JJ
I would tread lightly with puns like that

Pete
another southerner
I am in the far north - Harrogate, N. Yorks
yes that's fine for a pre run routine - I content myself with a few trips up and down the many stairs in my house!!! 
Post run stretching actually increases muscle and tendon length and suppleness - however the permanence of this is the subject of even greater debate than pre exercise stretching!
However I have a prescribed routine of stretches and strenghening exercises from my physio to offset various old injuries and imbalances and which have most probably saved me from permanently sitting on the sidelines and enabled me to come back to running a few months ago.

A good physio who knows running is an invaluable find!!!!

27/03/2013 at 21:37

TS
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

27/03/2013 at 22:01

"Active stretching" is supposed to be good for pre-run, isn't it? Walking lunges, high knees and such-like.

Tracey - poor Bernard, he must be in despair. But as has been suggested, maybe he will be mended enough to race when the time comes.

Bought new Saucony Phoenix which will be a replacement for the current Saucony Phoenix when they wear out; but they still have some wear in them at present.

Also got my hair cut, by the hairdresser who had left to have a sex-change op and wasn't going to come back as he felt it would be better to make a new start in a new town. He (or rather, now, she) explained to me that her return was a bit experimental, to see if she "freaked people out", - if not, she will stay. She's a really excellent cutter, so I have no intention of being freaked out. 

TS - agreed, this tiny print is a real pain. How many of us have got it?

aws
27/03/2013 at 23:37

Columba - He may have had the equipment altered but it doesn't change the inner workings, the memories, or to hazard a guess, the underlying attitude, and especially not the DNA. 

I think we all have the fine print problem.

al

aws
27/03/2013 at 23:39

TS - I trust you will lose sleep over the totp, but there will another one along directly. Unfortunately, unlike buses, you never get two together.

al

aws
27/03/2013 at 23:40

See what I mean?....

aws
27/03/2013 at 23:40

http://alanshelley.co.uk/99062.jpg

This is perhaps a little more topical.

Edited: 27/03/2013 at 23:45
28/03/2013 at 08:23
COR lots of pages to read back and to promptly forget!!

Pete
The first step you took out of the back door was the biggest one. Well done. I often jog slowly for around 5 mins max and then do dynamic stretches before I run properly. If you google the words you will find plenty of web sites with examples of dynamic stretches.

One reason for ot doing static stretches before running, is that stretching the muscles that way can actually makes ones run slower.

Tracey
I am so very sorry to hear of Bernard's present predicament. He has worked so hard. It's not fair is it. By the way I can't download Jilllan M's ripped only her shredded.

JJ
I know you have been re-tyred for a while now, so I am unable to visualise what you suggest! Today looks to be a lovely day for a run.

Columba
Have a lovely Easter, I think you are visiting your g daughter sometime over this period. Will you be able to enjoy a flat run?

TS
You thirsty, never!!! I hope you have not had more snow overnight,

busbar
How is your frozen shoulder?

Mick6
You sound as if your spring is arriving much earlier than ours is. Enjoy you first trip this year on your Bonnie. Plus running in warmer temps must be very appealing for you.

Where is NZC I wonder?

I did some kettle bell training yesterday. (8 x 1 min each exercise) X 3. Today will be abs and rebounding.

We are going on the Bluebell Railway tomorrow with friends. The new section on the line opened last weekend. It goes to Sheffield Park, which is where we are hoping to go and for sunshine like today, but of course we will be well wrapped up.

Have a great weekend everybody. Lots of training from those who can.
Edited: 28/03/2013 at 10:34
28/03/2013 at 10:38
The sun has already done an exit.

I had an amusing email from my daughter about something my middle g daughter (11 yrs) was heard to say, it went like this----

I heard Scarlet boasting about the meal we had at your house the other week, she said "we had soup to start and we weren't even in a restaurant"!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.