Over 60s training.

128,861 to 128,880 of 133,486 messages
29/03/2013 at 11:44

Morning all
 TS-Excellent mile reps A+ for them,Your trainging seems to be going so well long may it continue.

Good article there,some good points.Not being a expert but there are a lot of athletes doing high mileage but i guess just not as talented.

Mick6 --Cracking training you are doing,looks good for your races to come.

Ceal- My shoulder seems to be easing a bit thanks,hope your injury clears up prontoish (is that another word ive made up)

Columba-Decent pyramid training there i think they are real good workouts.

JJ-With you at the moment as i am in the shamble club as well,

29/03/2013 at 15:35
Did 10 miles this afternoon on 1:44:25

Average pace 10:26
10:57
10:28
10:24
10:26
10:35
10:17
10:20
10:21
10:21
10:12
29/03/2013 at 15:54

TS, interesting article. I remember you saying you used to run a bit with Charlie Spedding? Someone at my club was commenting on how few young runners you see at local senior races compared to the over 30s and the likes of us real old geezers, although the events for under-16s etc seem to be well-supported. Great mile intervals by the way - it's all coming along nicely.

busbar, pleased the injury's improving.

I did the Elswick Good Friday Relays this morning, for the fourth year in a row. I did 14:00 for the 2.2 miles so an average of 6:21 m/m. That's about the same as a couple of years ago so no complaints. It was hot and sunny that day, which must have helped compared to the cold conditions today. Still balmy compared to cross-country last Saturday though!

It's the North Tyneside 10K on Sunday so I'll see what sort of 10K form I'm in.

29/03/2013 at 16:02
Graham - speedy young man
29/03/2013 at 16:07

Tracey, thanks. Can't run nearly as far as you though. It'd kill me 

29/03/2013 at 16:25
Graham - you just run slower to run further
29/03/2013 at 18:01

Sorry to hear about your club member, Tracey. Very steady 10 miles from you. Hope rest & icing etc. allows Bernard to race ok after all.

Have a great time in London, Columba. Shame about the Manet, but I wouldn't want to wait ages in the cold either.

Keeping up the daily running with the shorter fill-in runs of a couple of miles. Now up to 116 for the month, and will go out with the club this evening. I don't think I'll be at all quick, as it has been a busy day of preparation for tomorrow's party. Cake is now iced and just about complete (allotment complete with icing cauliflowers, cabbages, leeks and a pumpkin!)

29/03/2013 at 19:17

Stiff legs so taking a rest day.

Busbar
It's nice to have good company.

TS
Nice mile intervals. Too quick for me at 67.

Tracey
Good solid run there.

Graham
Is Sunday's course worth a PB attempt? The speed is clearly there.

Diana
Don't want to be greedy so can Ijust  have the icing please.
JJ

29/03/2013 at 19:19
Diana - think JJ's got a sweet tooth
29/03/2013 at 19:20
I hope the weather warms up a bit for Brighton marathon.
29/03/2013 at 20:04

TS,
Very nice miles, well done.

Graham,
that sub 20 5k must be on the cards for this season

A very easy 7k recovery for me today as I have a LSR scheduled for tomorrow to complete my week and the month.

29/03/2013 at 20:06

JJ, my best time on Sunday's course is 42m 38s, which is 30s off my PB. I set that a few weeks after that 42m 38m run. This was two years ago. It's a possibility but I'd need to run out of my skin. There are a couple of short steep hills which soon pull your average pace down a bit. I'm pencilling in the same race as my PB for a more serious attempt in May.

Mick, I'd need to maintain that pace, or very near to it, for another 0.9 miles. Not impossible under ideal conditions perhaps.

Edited: 29/03/2013 at 20:08
29/03/2013 at 21:06

NRD.

Diana, that cake sounds wonderful, - reminds me of some cakes that a friend of my M-i-L used to make for our two eldest children in their early years. We had a rabbit, complete with marzipan carrots and lettuce leaves, an entirely recognisable Porsche car (she borrowed a toy car to copy) and a gymkhana. When we moved too far away for her to deliver cakes, the children had to put up with my much more amateurish efforts.

29/03/2013 at 21:06

Graham-Well done, super pace you ran and igree with mick a sub 20 is on the cards.
All the best for your 10k race.

29/03/2013 at 22:21

TS
Thanks for that 80s link. I wasn't a runner in those days but I was interested in all aspects of sport and the article is as I remember it. A few years ago I had a dinner conversation with a guy who ran in the 80s. He regularly raced 10 miles in 52 minutes and wasn't fast enough to get into his club's team. Nowadays he would win races with that sort of pace.
JJ

30/03/2013 at 09:18

good morning

NRD today -as a rest I am going to decorate a very large staircase

Tracey 
amazingly consistent running - you are  looking good for your marathon

Graham
excellent racing - really good pace.
is the relay stillheld around the Denton Burn/ Silver Lonnen area or has it moved?
The third mile at that pace may be a bit challenging!!
Good luck for hte 10K - your legs will be ready for it after that

Yes I used to see Charlie spedding, Kevin Forster and a few others out for their "easy" long run on a Sunday after their hard long session on a Saturday. I would be running at 6:30 -7m/m pace and could just keep up with them for some miles. They would happily chat about their training and I would listen as it saved my breath a bit but they would also be interested in what I was doing, targets etc  All nice guys.

Diana
enjoy the party - and ending your streak!! of course you could always continue it through April ...................................

Busbar
shamble is better than bench polishing
If I had done another mile rep it might have deserved an A- but I chickened out!!
I think one point of the article was how the concentration of talent and competition in clubs helped improve preformances. As JJ said 52 mins for 10 miles was not good enough to get in the team at most clubs!!!!

30/03/2013 at 13:00

Hi there

Tracey sorry to here about your friend

Diana - agree with JJ icing, please best part of cake unless it has buttercream in it and then it will be a close call

Graham you have fast legs. Good luck tomorrow

Been a busy week internet failed  yesterday work is a bit  mmmmmmm can't talk about it here think people are a bit worried with new manager  he starts next week I hope he can see what a great asset we night workers are

other news i'm going to quit the gym -

Its not as bad as that I'm going to join another that's opening a mile further down the road than my current one which is one of them urrmmm chain ones this new one seems like what I call a proper gym they have one in Romford and another opening soon in Brentwood and Lakeside later (it'll be a mile from work as well) the blurb on the Romford site mentions Athletics track now need to check if  it matches my perception of an athletics track we will see Going to try arrange a visit to Romford to have a look

30/03/2013 at 15:27

Icing makes my teeth ache. You can have my icing, I'll have your cake. Especially if there's a layer of marzipan under the icing.

Ran just under 9 miles this morning. Off to London tomorrow, hope to get at least one run in while there.

30/03/2013 at 15:28

Oops - hope Aws didn't have his eye on that TOTP

30/03/2013 at 16:35

TS,
When I ran in the 80s I found that it was much more informal than today. Our training was what ever we felt like that day, tempos were high on the list. Races were rarely the correct distance and it would take forever to get the results out and only winners would get a medal.
The quality did seem higher as the majority of people in races were there to race rather than participate.

Pammie,
Good luck with the new gym.

18.1k today with a strong 4k at 8min miles at 12k. This gives me 67k for the week, just over 40 miles and 160 miles for the month of March.

Mick

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.