Over 60s training.

128,921 to 128,940 of 134,575 messages
03/04/2013 at 18:24

Bitterly cold today. I feel old.
Ran for the sixth time in ten days and took the same hilly 3.7 mile route as 48 hours ago. In spite of the cold it was 3 minutes faster than the previous effort First run that's felt like a proper training run.

Ceal
Forecast 7C  on Saturday and much less wind. I think it's called a heatwave.

Tracey
Hope you get the Garmin situation sorted before the race.
JJ

03/04/2013 at 18:26

Tracey
Heard today that the next Beachy Head marathon is over half full already so if you're up for it you need to get an entry in fairly soon.
JJ

03/04/2013 at 18:41

ceal,
Snow in April !!!
The snow is nearly all gone here apart from my back garden where we still can't see the grass.

Tracey,
I brought a garmin refurbished 405 and have been very pleased with it, no issues apart from the usual one about the bezel. Garmin have disconitnued manufacture of the 410 and if you can find one they are a very good deal.
I brought new one last weekend for my daughter for a 100 pounds.

Legs are feeling a little tired and stiff so another 10k recovery run today with a avg WHR of 59%.

Mick

03/04/2013 at 19:45
JJ'S - don't worry Bernard and I entered Beachy as soon as on-line entries opened last year
03/04/2013 at 21:39

I think today was one of those rare days (and they are rare, believe me) when the weather here was better than in the south. There's still a cold wind but the sun shone all day for a change and it felt quite good in any sheltered spot.

So it was nice to do a track session for the first time in many months where it didn't feel freezing cold. My legs were still feeling the two races over the weekend so I took it a bit easier than usual, not that there was much choice. 5 x 400 with 60 secs intervals, then 4 minutes jog, followed by the same again.

Times 1:34, 1:33, 1:34, 1:35, 1:34 followed by 1:35, 1:33, 1:33, 1:32, 1:33.

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 21:40
03/04/2013 at 21:49

Graham - very nice running - bet you look good too!

Tracey - hope you get your garmin sorted.

Ceal - I just entered the marathon - it is 4th May. The only reason I did is that it will be my 15th Rotorua and if I finish it makes me a survivor. Not expecting anything, but just hoping to finish.

Can't blame you not wanting to run when the conditions are so awful, can't believe how you guys battle with such tough conditions.

I had one little run in Melbourne - only about 4km that I did in the afternoon - it was extremely hot with a really hot wind. Those sorts of conditions aren't nice either.

Torque Steer - Bruce Springsteen was great - allowed so many to touch him and threw  himself backwards into the standing audience to be manhandled back to the stage. I thought that was very brave for a person in their sixties! Jimmy Cliff was awesome too - seemed to be very proud of his athletic ability - high kicking etc, I thought if he wasn't a singer, he would have been an athlete!

I have a nice 9km with my friends yesterday, followed by our usual cafe session. 

Not feeling at all like going out this morning - think I will wait a little longer.

03/04/2013 at 22:12

Tracey
You were right to get the entries in early. How's Bernard's injury.

NZC
No worries. You've got a month to get fit for the marathon 
JJ

03/04/2013 at 23:28
JJ - Bernard hasn't run since last Wednesday so doesn't know.
03/04/2013 at 23:30
Graham - I can only dream of intervals like yours
04/04/2013 at 08:45
Morning all, yes it is me

This year has been a bit of a ********bleep ***********. After a great Christmas where Liz was able to join us for Xmas dinner she unfortunately developed another bed sore which broke down very quickly and resulted in her being admitted to the local hospital for a week in March. We are back to square one with Liz confined to bed, unfortunately she is suffering significant pain this time. This set back hit us hard as we had just started to dream of a holiday - staring to get back on an even keel now.
04/04/2013 at 08:52
Running wise it's been a nothing year as well. After stopping running innJanuary when the snow came to avoid picking up another season destroying injury in January I have suffered a series of niggling injuries and then just couldn't get out the door in March. So managed a 100 miles in three months which was my monthly target for this year.

A Massage later, to check all bits in right place and working, I have now run 5 times since the 28th, only 5 miles a time but it's a start.
04/04/2013 at 08:57
Finished decorating the house, just the loft to organise now.

Most important task now is to get the gardens sorted out so hopefully Liz can start to feel a real attachment to the house. Hoping to work on front garden first as it's a sun trap in the mornings when Liz will be up (when she is allowed). Idea to creat a small seating area for her and a carer with the rest planted out, I will need some help from a landscape gardner/designer despite it just being a small space.
04/04/2013 at 08:59
I have been keeping upto date with the thread and there is just too much to comment on except

TS a marathon, really !! Looks like the training is building up well.

Mike T
04/04/2013 at 09:30

Sounds as though the year to date has been tough Empty - hope that things start to pick up again for you & Liz.

Hope the plans for the new Westie work out Mick.

Bad luck on the garmin Tracey - hope you can get a replacement.

Stonking 400s, Graham!

There was a bitterly cold wind for our training session last night. Some shelter from the trees in places did help, but still very cold. We did mile reps, and my group did 3 (plus warm-up and cool-down) I was pleased with 8:25, 8:12 and 8:23. First and third rep had a bit of a rise to finish. If I could just repeat that without recoveries, I'd get a new 5k PB! Something to work towards.

Off to pack & get ready - have a good week-end all.

04/04/2013 at 10:02

Empty-Think its about time you had some luck,hope things go better for you

Diana d--Yes they were good reps alright,dont worry about recoveries to much if you just
increase the speed of the reps slowly then you can start to shorten recoveries.

Graham-Your certainly giving those 400s a bashing,time to step up to some 1k reps or 800s .Just to give you a little bit more pain.

04/04/2013 at 14:58
JJ
Roll on Saturday!

Graham
A great set, again, of 400's. especially on race legs.

NZC
I saw Bruce Springstein about 15 yrs ago. He does put on a good evenings show doesn't he?

Empty
It is always full on in your camp. Take it easy with the running, be kind to yourself, no need to hurry back, more important to stay with it this time around by not getting any more niggles! Easier said than done, I know. I hope you find a garden designer to help make the garden good for Liz to enjoy. You are expecting some summer are you?!?!?!

Diana
Hats off to you for what must have been very unpleasant running conditions last pm, due to the cold.

I have lots of entertaining to be done over the next week. Betsy and her other granny are coming tomorrow for the day. Dinner party for 8 on Sat, then next week my daughter and other g children are coming for a day or three. Lots of cooking to be done, have started today!

It has snowed all day here, but it is not really settling properly, it is the wet stuff. It is also very cold still. So as I said above roll up warmer weather.
04/04/2013 at 15:28
Ceal - hope your food meets your older granddaughters high standards
aws
04/04/2013 at 15:31
http://alanshelley.co.uk/99063.jpg

Troutbeck

(I may have posted a similar view some time ago)

Angela says it needs some birds in it but it's miles too late, it's long gone. It needs a signature as well.

Edited: 04/04/2013 at 15:44
04/04/2013 at 16:44

Mike, good to hear from you again even if you don't bring particularly good news. It sounds like you may be past the worst now though with a bit of luck. It's a great idea to create a nice area where Liz can sit and enjoy the sun and the garden plants. I can imagine that will mean such a lot to her after being confined indoors for so long.

04/04/2013 at 18:47

MT,
It souds like things have been tough for you both. How is new house working out?

Graham,
I would like my 400s to come out like yours when I take it easy.

Another easy 10k today. I ran on my river trail for the first time this year, only a small amount of snow left in the sheltered spots. 
It has been very windy here as well and I think I am suffering a bit with allergies as I am  sniffing a lot.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.