Over 60s training.

128,941 to 128,960 of 134,161 messages
04/04/2013 at 19:31

Howling NE wind and bitterly cold with lots of intermittent snow showers. All in all it's been a carp day so in accordance with my new running policy I didn't run.

Flower show on Saturday. I've put on my Chairman's hat and decreed that it will go, even if there's only one entry. There won't be many flowers but there's flower arranging, cookery and kids' classes so there will be summat to look at.

Empty
Great to hear from you. Sorry it's been a carp year but hopefully Liz has turned a bit of a corner. Don't let the running add to the pressure. Run when you can and enjoy it until things settgle down properly.
Shame I don't live nearby. I would willingly design a garden for you. Mail me if you want some advice.

Diana
Very respectable mile reps. A 5k PB is certainly on the cards. Just being in a race and in better conditions will hand it to you on a plate.

Mick
Careful, you may get labelled as an old sniffer.
JJ

04/04/2013 at 19:32

Howling NE wind and bitterly cold with lots of intermittent snow showers. All in all it's been a carp day so in accordance with my new running policy I didn't run.

Flower show on Saturday. I've put on my Chairman's hat and decreed that it will go, even if there's only one entry. There won't be many flowers but there's flower arranging, cookery and kids' classes so there will be summat to look at.

Empty
Great to hear from you. Sorry it's been a carp year but hopefully Liz has turned a bit of a corner. Don't let the running add to the pressure. Run when you can and enjoy it until things settle down properly.
Shame I don't live nearby. I would willingly design a garden for you. Mail me if you want some advice.

Diana
Very respectable mile reps. A 5k PB is certainly on the cards. Just being in a race and in better conditions will hand it to you on a plate.

Mick
Careful, you may get labelled as an old sniffer.
JJ

aws
05/04/2013 at 07:49

Good morning

6.06M; 1:17:40.4; 12:49/M; 2.5°C

It snowed pretty well all day yesterday, but thankfully it didn't settle. Snow in April! I don't remember such a thing. June, yes, but not April.

JJ - you must have eaten something that's repeating on you.

al

Edited: 05/04/2013 at 07:49
05/04/2013 at 12:13

Cold, wet and windy this morning. I may run later if it stops precipitating.

aws
Don't know why the repeat happened. I reckon it's an age thing!
JJ

aws
05/04/2013 at 12:32

JJ - Maybe, except that you're still comparatively young and always will be so far as I'm concerned.

al

05/04/2013 at 17:12

Ran 4.5 miles this afternoon on a hilly circuit. it included two 13 minute miles because of long up hill stretches with short, sharp drops down the other side.

aws
Note the 13 minute miling.
JJ

05/04/2013 at 19:02

JJ,
Cold hilly miles count double.

Just a short one today, 5k along the river trail. Feeling stronger and more energetic so tomorrow's LSR should be on.

Our Spring weather is taken a turn back to winter tonight, -10c, but going back up to warm again during the day and then warm all week. Hopefully that is the end of it and I can start wearing shorts.

05/04/2013 at 19:33

JJ,

Good to see you are getting into the running again.  Looks as though you peeps down in the south-east have had it colder than us oop North  last couple of days or so.  

Ceal,

I can see that you will also soon be out running again too as we are promised warmer (well.er, less cold!) days ahead.  But of course you are busy entertaining visitors so cooking will keep you busy.   

Empty,

Sorry to hear you and Liz  have gone through a pretty bad patch.  Hope Lizzie will now see better days and good luck with the garden design plans.

Not been on here for a week or so but still doing runs.   Actually had an early morning run last Monday around the perimeter of a new housing estate not far from us.  There are quitte a few nice trails there and I enoyed the different scenery during the 7 mile outing, think I will do more a.m. runs as well as the p.m. park routes.
Five miles in RV park on Wednesday and a short 2.8 miles today.  Short because I want to do another 5k tomorrow be it slow or better 

06/04/2013 at 11:40

good morning

I am back from renewing my northern heritage - excellent time including walks on the beach in brilliant sunshine and ferocious NE wind straight off the sea bringing temperatures down to about -20C!!
Backdrop of the Cheviots clad in snow gleaming in the bright sun like some advancing glaciers!!
Found a nice Derby and Joan shelter on Alnmouth bay facing south and enjoyed near summertime temperatures whilst the wind roared around - bracing I think is the word.
Nice, slightly tired hotel but good food and staff made it a super stay. Didn't run at all but swam twice a day - 20 lengths each time, which sounds rather more impressive than it was, as the pol was only 12.5m long, followed by a sauna which was the closest I got to a Swedish masseuse

Mike
sorry to hear of Liz's continued misfortune. It impacts upon you as well and it must take its toll.
Your garden idea sounds excellent and some fragrant plants in the beds may add to the enjoyment for Liz - smell can be such a soothing sensation.

Graham
excellent intervals on tired legs - that will teach em!!!

NZC
sounds like a great concert. Some acts are great live and Springsteen certainly fits that category.

Impey
sounds like you have found some good new trails to run on - nice!!

Diana
you should be very pleased with those reps!!!

Mick6
n'er cast a clout till May is oot!!!

JJ
spring is delayed!! Strangely the daffs and othe spring flowers were further advanced oop north as they had not had as much snow and lots of sunshine so in shelterd spots the flowers were well advanced

Beautiful sunny morning here so I decided to do the Parkrun. near ideal conditions, dry underfoot on the grass and only a modest cold NE breeze to contend with on each lap of the 3 lap course. Legs felt a bit used after swimming but none of the stiffness associated with running.

3.1 miles in 22:21 (7:20m/m) with avHR150 (81%WHR) and a max of 160(88%WHR)

1m 7:13 av144 max 160
2m 7:30 av152 max 155
3m 7:26 av153 max 155
.1m 0:11 av155 max 155

Garmin measured the course, which had been changed a bit to avoid the massed crocus ranks, a but short but they had remeasured the course before the off with a wheel so maybe it was ok.

Improvement of just over 60 seconds on July's time so quite pleased with that 

Edited: 06/04/2013 at 11:41
06/04/2013 at 17:22

TS,
Great time, I can see why you were pleased with that, so would I. A little quick on the first mile but you still did not red line so a very promising place to be in your training cycle.

Impey,
Keep cranking out those miles, they all count. To what I am not sure but it sure feels good to get them done.

16k easy for me today to finish off the week. Another 40 miler in the bag despite feeling tired this week after my 4 x1k efforts. Felt good on my long run so I seemed to have recovered. Rest day tomorrow so should be raring to go on Monday.

Mick

aws
06/04/2013 at 17:55

JJ - 13min miling! You'll be eating your own tuna sandwich next

al

06/04/2013 at 18:36
Evening all

A better day at last

Tomorrow I'm helping pace a lady from my club round Braintree 5 There's no chance of me doing a pb, plus is a week before Brighton marathon So a nice 5 miles at 10:30 pace
06/04/2013 at 20:07

LOcal Spring Flower Show today. 8 first prizes and some seconds and thirds.

aws
Being totally unselfish I would not deprive you guys of the tuna sandwich opportunity.

TS
Very good 5k. Don't know how relevant it is but that's the sort of times I was running in Hyde Park when I managed 3:53 for 26.2  and I'm no marathon runner.

Tracey
Very public spirited of you. Just enjoy it.

Impey
Great to know you're still getting in the miles.

Mick
It was cold as well so could I make it treble miles?
JJ

06/04/2013 at 23:22

Got back from London today. Managed two runs. 

1. an 8-miler from my son's flat in Camberwell-ish, where I was staying, to Vauxhall Bridge, across the river, along to Waterloo bridge, cross the river again and back on the other side to Vauxhall Bridge and then back to son's flat. I really quite enjoyed it, in spite of being held up at traffic lights and having to thread my way through queues and queues of people along South Bank, as they waited for entry to various tourist destinations, and in spite of the eye-watering, nose-streaming cold wind.

2. A much shorter run in Burgess Park, only a short distance from son's flat. More eye-watering and nose-streaming.

Nice to run on flattish ground for a change. Can keep a steadier pace going.

Also went to three exhibitions, had a really excellent Malaysian meal with all but one of my children (the one not there had come with me to one of the exhibitions, however, so I managed to see them all) and spent several hours with Elder Daughter and Little Grand-daughter, so it was a really good visit.  Little Alice is acquiring a few single words. One of them is "tractor", - not too many of those to be seen in London streets.

06/04/2013 at 23:25

Impey - glad you've rejoined us.

Mike - that sounds like a lovely idea for Liz in the garden.

07/04/2013 at 04:49

Columba - sounds like a great visit. I love running around London. I had a great time visiting my son when he lived there.

JJ - have you enquired whether anyone likes tuna Well done on the prize haul.

Mike - you are wonderful looking after your wife so well - good on you. Sorry that you haven't been able to run much.

Mick - congrats on another 40 mile week - good going!

Torque Ster - nice running - that's set a tough bar for the rest of us!

Ceal - you certainly don't have much down-time, you are always so busy.

Tracey - good luck with the marathon.

I went and ran 27km with the Y this morning. Not easy, and not sure I could have gone any further. Always a worry when there aren't too many weeks left to the marathon.

Next week is 32km, so I'll see how I go then, and then it is cut back time - not sure what I'm cutting back from, but I will be fresh!

Managed to stuff up my timing of the run, but leader said running time was 2.34 - I was in the 5.45km pace group. Crazy when I usually only run 6.30km pace average when I'm running by myself. I came home and had a bit of a nana nap - pretty stuffed.

07/04/2013 at 13:16

good day

Columba
nice way to get round tourist spots iin London - good running too.

Jj
that's what I'm worried about !!!

Mick6
thanks - the start is pretty congested - 250 runners and there is only a 2m wide path unless one wants to take to the grass down a slight bank so I had to crank it up to maintain position at the start and then hang on!!

Time gave me an age grade of 76.44% so a birthday does help - and sets a new target for next time!!

NZC
I should think you will get under that particular bar no problem
You were running at 9:11m/m pace so very good going - I know exactly how you felt at the end - see below

07/04/2013 at 13:26

Legs were a bit stiff from combined race yesterday and extensive use of ladders as I decorated the main entrance hall - 50 large panels of white separated by dark wood so it was all up and down numerous times.

15.02 miles done and not a step more in 2:15:10 (9:02m/m) and avhr 130 (65%WHR) and a max of 142

mile             time          avhr           maxhr

1                    9:08           124             130
2                    8:46           128             152
3                    9:32           135             137
4                    9:18           133             136
5                    8:37           129             139
6                    8:40           125             132
7                    9:00           127             140
8                    9:00           132             140
9                    8:47           128             132
10                  8:29           125             130
11                  8:27           123             127
12                  8:37           121             130
13                  10:20         129       &nbs

Edited: 07/04/2013 at 13:27
07/04/2013 at 13:31

13                  10:20         129             140
14                  10:00         123             129
15                  9:26           125             131

don't know what &nbs refers to!!

Usual moorland route and going quite well until the very steep knackering hill at mile 12-13 killed me off - after that it was just an exercise in stupidity!!
I shall be glad when decorating is over.
Think it is time for a grandpa nap

07/04/2013 at 15:19
TS - well done grandpa Hope you had a nice sleep x
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.