Over 60s training.

128,961 to 128,980 of 133,984 messages
07/04/2013 at 15:21
Braintree 5 race this morning pace a club mate round in 52:31. Aiming for 10:30 pace and achieved it Jane is still smiling
07/04/2013 at 19:56

Tracey
well done - excellent pacing!!

I did some decorating instead.

Folk may notice that I have HR data!! An email awaited my return from Garmin detailing how to re set the HRM

Please try resetting the HRM devices by:

1. Remove the battery compartment cover.

2. Remove the battery and replace upside down and allow to sit upside down for 30 seconds.

3. Remove the battery and replace right side up.

4. Replace battery compartment cover.

Please then try pairing your device in the main menu while wearing this accessory.

It worked!!!!

Edited: 07/04/2013 at 19:57
08/04/2013 at 07:18
Good morning,

I hope you all had a good weekend.

TS
The 2 day rest from running revved you well. The typo should read as served! But thought I would leave it. The race was nicely done with your HR up there well into the Lactate zone and very steady. Then you had decorating to do followed by a 15 mile run the next day, spending 2 hours 15 mins and not forgetting the additional 10 secs on your feet. All good stuff. Sorry to hear that you had to put up with just a sauna rather than the real thing in the hands of a Swedish masseuse!

Tracey
I am sure that Jane must have been thrilled to have such an experienced pacer to take her around the race course.

JJ
How many flowers were there at the show. I see you have not lost any of your green fingers.

Impey
New running routes are always stimulating and motivating.

Columba
I can well imagine the difficulties of running through the crowds along the South Bank, it sounds like running the London Marathon! Betsy is also smitten with tractors.

NZC
Fresh is the name of the game, you have plenty of miles in your deposit savings account, so no need to be concerned about not too many long runs. Did you watch any of the Triathon held in Auckland yesterday. Or we you taking your manna nap?!?!
08/04/2013 at 07:26
I forgot to mention myself, I have been very busy, cooking and eating with child minding thrown in together with the occasional bounce. Then yesterday because it was warm and sunny at midday, I set out for a run. It was the first for over 3 months, apart from the abandoned one in Jan when I was on holiday. It seemed to go ok. I could feel my Achilles pulling when running uphill but on the whole there hasn't so far been too much of a reaction. I wore shorts and no gloves! The wind was still very cold even though the sunshine was warm.

I ran off road for around 19 mins, it was about 9.39 min milling, with a high HR, I think it was an average of 139. I know that at the end of the run my HR was in the 150's. I find it very strange that when one is not fit that one is unaware that one's HR is high but when one is fit to get the HR up to the same figure one has to work very hard to achieve the same figure.

What a wonderful result from our Davis Club players.
Edited: 08/04/2013 at 07:28
08/04/2013 at 07:40
JJ - wonderful result at your local flower show

Ceal - how are your grand kids? Your run was very promising Keep bouncing thou
08/04/2013 at 07:58
Tracey
Thanks, I have only seen Betsy so far, the others are coming later in the week. Betsy was in good form thanks, she is getting more and more chatty with an expanding vocabulary which includes the word circle when she sees one! She was a bit confused that she had 2 Granny's looking after her so decided to keep calling to Grandpa who was working in the dinning room, which comes out as Pompa.
08/04/2013 at 09:28

good morning

nice surprise to see Ceal posting about a run!!
I hope it was on even ground and the frost was not still in the surface??
Yup - HR is just where it always is after a long layoff despite bouncing!!
Fingeres crossed there is no reaction in the achilles

Did you have the soup spoons out???

Your story of g'daughter reminded me that Matilda came last week all prepared with a design for an Easter cake that she wanted to make with G'ma.
all went well until decorating it. Matilda wanted some soil for the flowers to be mounted on. G'ma said "you can't put soil on a cake, it's dirty"
Matilda replied with all the world weary gravity that a six year old can bring to explaining things to oldsters "G'ma you don't understand, it's a technical term for dry material that looks like soil. I think we'll use grated chocolate" - and she did!!

08/04/2013 at 09:35

Ceal
pity about the masseuse!!
As I said I was quite pleased with the Parkrun result but yesterday.....................

Anyway up recovery run this morning.
6.3 miles in 53:40 (8:50m/m) and avHR130 (65%WHR) and a max of 140

1m 9:46 av120 max 134 difficult getting going
2m 8:29 av124 max 134
3m 8:41 av129 max 137
4m 8:26 av130 max138
5m 9:01 av135 max140 Hipps Hill
6m 8:44 av133 max136
.3m 2:32 av135 max138

HR shows no sign of the tiredness so aerobic devlolpment coming along quite nicely - just need the legs to catch up!!!

08/04/2013 at 10:34

TS, looking very good after your good park run followed by a 15-miler. And then another 6 miles this morning. I'm feeling a bit sick as I've left it just too late to get a ticket for the match against Lisbon on Thursday. It's on the telly but not the same. Wasn't expecting a sell-out, at least so soon.

ceal, it must have been a great feeling to be out running again but I bet you were very nervous about feeling anything. You haven't mentioned a reaction so fingers crossed.

08/04/2013 at 11:11

Graham
thanks - it's a good block of training when viewed like that.

Shame about the tickets - I guess everyone went out after the match yesterday and bought them on the wave of euphoria after that late, late goal.
Long time since I have seen a player (or a manager!!!) so pleased to score, genuinely pleased not relieved, and a nice touch when Cisse went back to the crowd after the final whistle and presented his shirt to a youngster where he had celebrated with them.

Ceal
yes excellent result in the Davis Cup - I had feared, or expected, the worst when they went two games down on day one.

08/04/2013 at 11:25
TS
Yes me too. I thought it was all over after the first 2 singles matches. I think that Graham has summed up your last 3 days training well.

Graham
Yes, it was good to be outside again running. Yes I was nervous because I still have the lump on the side of my Achilles and have been told that I may may well always have it. It does soften during the day then gets hard again overnight when the circulation is reduced due to inactivity. Bad luck about the footie ticket or the lack of.

Remind me what sort of pace you will most likely be doing in Australia?
08/04/2013 at 12:00

ceal, I'll be doing about 40 mph pace in the motorhome! Mark runs anything between 9 and 13 minute miles. I'm the only driver until the last couple of days of my two weeks so will have little chance of running with him before then. I'd have to run out and then back to the motorhome, which obviously restricts me a bit. In any case, I suspect I'll have my hands full, being the only person with Mark most of the time.

TS, yes, I thought that late win would result in a rush for tickets. I had the match on the radio and traumatised the cat by yelling at the top of my voice when the goal went in.

08/04/2013 at 19:23

TS,

A most hectic time for you around the weekend then!  Don't know how you cram it all in, climbing ladders and decorating, even swimming, and the high quality of running

Seems you have a similar squeezed in start in your park run as we do. Despite 3 other venues for 5k fans to pick from on  Saturday a.m. Hallam still had 367 lining up so several seconds were lost before crossing start line.

Excellent age percentage for you with that parkrun time.  Wish I could get near 25 never mind 22

Graham,

Geordies should escape the drop if they can keep this up.  Hope Lisbon will bring success !

Ceal,
Glad you managed to break the spell and get a run in.  Hope your achilles gives no more trouble for you.

Edited: 08/04/2013 at 19:26
08/04/2013 at 19:34

The parkrun time was my best this year, albeit only by seconds but still....
First in 70/74 out of 2.  Age % 63.7    position 277 out of 367.

Had in mind to just keep below the 30 min mark as I still need to start on intervals first before I can chop much more off.

Today saw me on a more rugged route via undulating x-c trail followed by a mile long climb behind the ski-slope before descending on loose stony pot-holed downwards with scree at bottom portion followed by an easier flattish finish for the last mile and half.
Therefore times look unconvincing!  12.55, 11.31, 12.28, 10.54, 10.59.  5 miles in all.   Must say I needed hillwork  so it was good to feel the struggle

08/04/2013 at 19:36

Doh!  Forgot....29.27 was 5k time.

08/04/2013 at 19:37

Lunch in London yesterday with elder son and his other half who are expecting their first child in October. That will be our fifth grandchild but never mind, it's only money. Lunch was here http://www.trinityrestaurant.co.uk/index.php/about-us  If anyone's interested it was the Sunday lunch menu only.

MrsJJ has come down with a severe bug so I've not had time to take off my Nurse JJ uniform and get out for a plod. Tomorrow maybe.

NZC
JJ's tuna is special. The little blue bits give it an added dimension.
You will be OK in the marathon so long as you start sensibly.

Ceal
With my Chairman's hat on I sent out a letter explaining the winter had made everything late or dead so would everyone try their hardest to enter at least one item. The response was excellent. We had about two thirds of the normal exhibits. Quality was not exciting but it looked OK.

Any reaction to the outside run?

Tracey
Thanks.
Good pace judgement this morning.

TS
My marathon post should be encourageing. I ran it on the basis of several fast 1/2m races and two 18 mile runs. That's hardly proper preparation but I was only trying to beat 4 hours.

Edited: 08/04/2013 at 19:38
08/04/2013 at 19:59

JJ - I'll try to put my sensible hat on then. That was a great marathon time you did, and it seems you got it just right.

Ceal - good to see you out there trying your legs again.

Torque Steer - now I think you are just showing off Nice set of training put together - well done. And all the stuff around the house - good work.

Impey - nice result from you too, and a good hard 5 miler too.

Graham - how many days does he think it is going to take him? Do you do massage too? And are you are good cook?

I ran 6km in Cornwall Park last night. Very nice, we have just put our clocks back, so a nice cool evening.

08/04/2013 at 21:35

Ceal - great that you got out for a run!

The lump on the Achilles, - what is it a lump of? - What sort of tissue, I mean?

TS - LOL at Matilda's patient technical explanation to her grandmother!

Been swimming.

aws
09/04/2013 at 07:28

Good morning

5.08M; 1:06:26.4; 13:04/M; 4°C

Started off slow, the next mile went even slower, then they speeded up mile on mile to the end, and it started to rain.

al

aws
09/04/2013 at 07:40

NZC - I know the sun goes the wrong way round down there but I never thought of you putting your clocks back when we put ours forward, but I suppose it makes sense. We say Spring forward, Fall back, but it seems to me that Spring back, Fall forward doesn't have the same feel to it. Maybe you say something else?

al

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.