Over 60s training.

129,081 to 129,100 of 132,593 messages
aws
18/04/2013 at 15:27

Mick6 - thanks. Glad it hasn't yet made its way to the attic.

I have just today received an email from one of my nephews saying they've found one of my paintings in his (recently departed) Mum's attic and do I want it back? He hasn't said what it's a painting of. It can't be much if he and his siblings don't want it.

al

18/04/2013 at 19:20

Very heavy showers today. I don't need cold showers.

aws
Remind the nephew that the painting will be worth a fortune in the years to come.

Tracey
Overall the splits are very consistent.
JJ

18/04/2013 at 22:49

Aws - maybe they do want it but are giving you first refusal since you are its creator?

Did another pyramid session today; 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 (minutes). Looking at the minute-miling times and comparing them with the 6 earlier pyramids I've done since the beginning of February, I am pleased to see that I seem to be getting faster. Not by much, but it's consistent over all the splits. 

19/04/2013 at 06:50
Good morning,

Columba
Getting faster is the name of the game.

aws
Thanks for your kind comments.

JJ
Same heavy rain here. Very April showers.

Mick6
Lazy is the last term I would use to describe you!

Not a lot gone on here. Where is everybody?

I went to the Physio yesterday. Met a friend for lunch and drove for 2 hours.

My shoulders were well pummelled and feel rather sore today as does my head for whatever reason.

Are any of you going to try for tickets for the Anniversary Games in July. We are, I am expecting an online melt down.
aws
19/04/2013 at 07:19

Good Morning

3.53M; 46:30.3; 13:11/M; 8°C

Columba - This was truly an RSR (Rain Shortened Run). It started to rain as soon as I went out and I made up my mind that I wouldn't continue if the rain didn't stop and it didn't so I didn't, hence RSR. Actually the rain did ease off after I changed my route but then I was committed and I didn't change again. I didn't get any faster though as you can see.

I've asked if any of them want the painting but haven't yet had a reply.

al

19/04/2013 at 11:23

Columba, nice pyramid session last night. Good feeling to know you're getting quicker.

Not much going on with me. I went for an 8-miler on Tuesday which turned out to be one of my worst runs ever. I was content from the start with a comfortable pace but just felt really tired and stopped several times for a rest. No obvious signs then or since of an infection coming on. I decided to have a couple of days off and do feel a bit of energy coming back. I did a gym session yesterday and felt fine.

I'm planning to do a park run tomorrow. Depending on form, I'd like to have a go at a PB but the run earlier in the week wasn't a good sign.

Our camellia, which usually flowers in mid-April, is still in bud and showing little colour in those to suggest anything appearing soon. It's more like mid-March with plants but at least the warmer weather's here at last, even up north.

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 11:24
19/04/2013 at 11:54

Not much going on here, just finished feeding the dogs and myself and I am watching a deer walk across my back garden as I type this.

Graham,
I too have those awful off days, not very often but I think most people get them. It is when you get them consecutively that it becomes a problem.

Columba,
Well done, your consistency is paying off.

A recovery 5k for me yesterday, followed by a gym session as usual. Planning on an easy 10k for today and the temperature is supposed to be going up to 22c. It should put pay to the last of the snow.

19/04/2013 at 12:40

Mick 6 - your weather goes from one extreme to the other! - I suppose that's what comes of being in the middle of a continental mass?

Eldest Son is coming for the weekend, so I probably won't be on the internet much. Is ages since he's been back home.

19/04/2013 at 12:46
Graham
If it is of any consolation I have had days that sound just like one your have had and took a couple of days rest and then went on to race a pb a day or so later.

Columba
Enjoy your son's company.

Mick6
22 c in the same week as an Ice storm sounds bizarre,

I think I have a head cold, so am not running today in the hope that the rest will knock it well and truly on the head.

Where has Pammie disappeared to.
19/04/2013 at 17:56

ceal, Pammie has been on Twitter in the last couple of days.

I've just worked out or looked up a couple of facts which have surprised me.

1. I've done 850 miles with my current pair of shoes. They feel fine but maybe time for a new pair.

2. My last park run was back in September. Would have sworn it was much more recent than that. Doesn't time fly?

19/04/2013 at 21:16

Loadsa gardening today plus two dog walks.
Time for a bit of a run tomorrow.......................................possibly!

Columba
Nice to see the improvement.

Graham
It's more than time for those shoes to be replaced.
Rest is  a part of any training schedule.
I have 6 camellias of different varieties and none of them are in flower yet.
JJ

19/04/2013 at 22:03
I have 2 quite large camellia bushes in flower, but they are the early ones, I think they should, perhaps, have finished by now. But they are still in full bloom with many more buds to come into flower yet.
20/04/2013 at 07:15

good morning

Graham
like you Tuesday was a black day - I couldn't even handle the easy pace of the Hash - absolutely no energy and aches from knees and back.
Recovery was not helped by two long journeys in the next two days so I have not run since then either

Columba
you seem to enjoy your pyramid sessions - and nice to see an improvment in times as well

Mick6
disgraceful - try harder!!
22C - that is a change for you no mistake

Ceal
short and sweet - keep it going despite head cold

Here Mo Farrah quite an insightful article on Mo Farrah's training complete with kettlebells - now who uses those around here?
However it is the beauty of the photo of Levin. Rudd and Farrah running in full flow that drew me to it -  sheer poetry in motion.

Light frost here but I am going to essay a light run to see how things stand............

20/04/2013 at 08:13
Been having trouble getting pages to load on RW.
20/04/2013 at 08:27
TS
I hope your rested run goes well for you.

For some reason I felt just too tired to run yesterday plus the head cold which was affecting my sinus. I had many tasks to do, so got them out of the way so that I could make full use of the weekend.

Today, my head co,d has become catarrh based, sinus affected again.

Thanks for the guardian report on Mo. I found it extremely interesting.

we failed in our attempt to get tickets for the Anniversary games. All tickets were sold within the first 75 mins of being on sale.

Beautiful early sunshine today. Lots of gardening to be done, although, I don't relish bending over as all the gunge will block up my sinus even more.
Edited: 20/04/2013 at 08:28
20/04/2013 at 08:45
Ceal - I've been a good girl and only ran 1.75 miles with my friend Debbie. Her knee was hurting, so we called it a day. No parkrun today as am on my feet all day tomorrow at reclaim baggage at VLM.
20/04/2013 at 10:07

Tracey
good girl!!

Bit if a disaster out there - 1.5 miles enough to convince me that things aint right.

I blame Ceal for all this - everyting was fine until she got me to  look back at my training from when I was running properly - must have affected my mind - and body!!!

20/04/2013 at 10:33

TS, oh dear, what a shame when you were going so well. Hopefully it's only a temporary setback.

Tracey, there's a thread about how slow RW's become. Some folk were recommending using a piece of software called Adblock. I've installed it and things now load much quicker. It's available for Chrome and Firefox, and presumably for other browsers too. It's important to make sure you download it from an official site though, as always.

I'm just back from the park run and did manage a PB of 20m 27s, 10 seconds better than before. Conditions were pretty good and there was another large turnout. Nice to see, but it does mean there's congestion and for the first time I had to slow for a walk at the first gate. 

Edited: 20/04/2013 at 10:34
aws
20/04/2013 at 10:50
http://alanshelley.co.uk/99067.jpg

St Andrews 

Good morning

Edited: 20/04/2013 at 11:00
aws
20/04/2013 at 11:40

TS - I was looking at that picture of Farah, Rupp and Levins and thought it was amazing how they are exactly in step. Then I realised they aren't. Rupp is on the opposite stride to the others. What style they have! Their positions are so perfect you could lay them over each other and they'd fit pretty well exactly, but they're not posing, they're sprinting. Their toes point like ballet dancers and they most likely aren't thinking about that at all. Then I thought about the exact moment of the shot that caught them all in the air, and considered how interesting it would be to get the next shot with their front foot now on the ground and their back foot swinging through more or less lined up with it and arms mid-swing. They would look as though they're not moving at all.

al

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.