Over 60s training.

129,201 to 129,220 of 133,716 messages
28/04/2013 at 08:15

Good morning, 

beautiful sunshine returns complete with frost.

Columba

I will try and analyse, for you,  myself with respect to racing and my competitiveness.

yes, I am very competitive! Yes, I hate racing.

i enjoy being competitive, it is what gets me out of bed each morning, it gives me challenges, which without the competitive spirit might well be unobtainable.

i don't like to lose! No way. However, I am not a bad loser, but I don't like the feeling of actually losing or the thought of losing. 

That out the way leaves  my dislike of Racing. Racing, for me, physically HURTS from the start of the race until I cross the line and of course for a couple minutes afterwards! WHY, should I enjoy physical pain. 

To sum up------I enjoy the result of my racing, not the execution of----

Your week sounded a busy one. How is your swimming coming along? 

Mick6

the drift was on the uphill return home, yes, high for me, but it was less so than on all previous runs. 

when one is typing a post there is a word at the bottom of the box that says path. I don't remember it being there in the past. I have had a real struggle writing this post due to my ipad which behaves perfectly when writing an mail but is not liking RW at the moment. 

aws
28/04/2013 at 10:40

Columba - Precipitation Postponed Pacey Perambulation.

Oh btw Good morning all.

al

aws
28/04/2013 at 10:59

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/79486/gallery/p1020011.1tmp.jpg?width=350

The day before yesterday

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/79486/gallery/p1020019tmp.jpg?width=350

Today

28/04/2013 at 11:47

good morning

Tracey
well done - very consistent pacing in your 5K - must be more to come when you fully recover from your marathon

Pammie
too cold for walking oop north!!!

JJ
that is my actual speed of connection - I am only 1 mile from the exchange and 100 yards from the junction box!!

Columba
I wouldn't rely upon this site too much. The small type in the reply box is but one example of the lack of maintenance on the website
Nice to get a pleasant surprise from your pyramid session particularly in unhelpful conditions

Ceal
that's better
Like you racing always hurts - sometimes it is almost an enjoyable pain

Sunshine here but a fierce westerly wind took any heat away and had me please that I put a long sleeved tee on but unhappy that I had not put a thermal on - bloomin' cold!
I chickened out of the moorland route in case I had back problems and stayed closer to home with an 11.06 mile loop in 64:57 (8:35m/m) 

01m 9:32
02m 8:55
03m 8:36
04m 8:30
05m 8:01 bit of downhill
06m 8:19
07m 8:21
08m 8:31 back into head wind
09m 8:38
10m 8:34 Hipps Hill
11m 8:27

Just eased my back into it and was pain free after a mile or so. Running was a bit laboured as my legs are still paint bound although I spent much of yesterday sitting on my bum painting skirtings and staircase strings

My new HR monitor from Garmin arrived yesterday - when I was out - so a trip to the sorting office is required to pick it up. My guess is that I was at about 132 for the run today - never really breathing hard at any stage though the last mile into the wind was a bit tough 

Edited: 28/04/2013 at 11:48
28/04/2013 at 11:54

Mick6
for a fast 5K it's not so much the amount of miles but the quality of the miles that brings results as it is going to be mainly anaerobic work - the stuff that hurts!!!

My 5K improvement in times such as it is is down to the mile reps I run as much as anything else - of course general aerobic conditioning helps to bring on muscle development but 5K's are all about getting rid of excess lactate efficiently - enjoy!!

28/04/2013 at 11:58

thought for today

As I was lying in bed pondering the problems of the world, I rapidly realized that I don't really give a monkey's.

It's the tortoise life for me!

1. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

2. A whale swims all day, only eats fish, drinks water, and is fat.

3. A rabbit runs and hops and only lives 10 years.

4. A tortoise doesn't run and does nothing, yet it lives for 450 years.

And you tell me to exercise?? I don't think so.

I'm retired.

Go around me.

aws
28/04/2013 at 12:05

TS - Ah, but can we get round you?

BTW, what small type in the reply box? Mine's back to normal.

al

28/04/2013 at 12:51

aws,
thanks for the sign of spring, we still have a couple of weeks to go before we see any flowers.
Small type has disappear for me too.

ceal,
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I was always good at exams and see races very much in that light. Painful, yes, but if I prepare right I should get the result I want. My mantra at the start is "You have done the training now perform"

TS,
My target race is a 10k in 4 weeks, my first 5k is prepartion for that. I agree long intervals and tempos are key. I find that I need the mileage as well. If I do not have sufficent mileage, I either get injured or cannot get good results from the longer intervals. In a 10k the big issue for me is fading around 7k and then trying to come back in the last k.

A rest day for me or I should say a cross training day cleaning up all the trees and branches that fell during the winter.

Mick

28/04/2013 at 19:01

Still cool today so I left a run for tomorrow!

Ceal
I meant to comment on greengages. They are one of my favourite fruits but a real rarity nowadsays. If you get some good ones I'd like an invite to the greengage party.

Apples and pears are still in very tight bud.

Mick
I would certainly expet a 22 minute run on thta training.

Tracey
Remember the 5k PB clearly but couldn't remember the time. If you want a challenge a new PB would be a good one. The training would be harder than for a marathon if you do it properly.

Pammie
Can't argue with the logic.

aws
Tulips are very difficult to exhibit in shows. Pic 1 is  showbench standard  but they can go to pic 2 in an hour so if the judge is behind schedule you can easily lose out.

TS
Excellent 11 miles but in 64:57!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent "thought for today" too.
JJ

28/04/2013 at 19:21

Interesting note from Ceal on competitiveness and motivation. I always want to do the best I can in races so unless I can race to the best of my ability I prefer not to bother.
I attempt every race at what I consider to be the maximum I can sustain for the distance. In simple terms that means being a lot out of breath all the time for up to 10k, quite a lot out of breath for 10 miles and 1/2m, just a little bit out of breath over 26.2 miles. When racing I concentrate on nothing else but how my legs feel and what my breathing pattern is like. At any distance I'm right on the limit for the last couple of miles. All racing hurts.  Short distances hurt from start to finish. Longer distances hurt on a steadily increasing scale.

I often wonder if the ability to sustainhigh levels of discomfort can be developed or whether you have to be genetically programmed for it.
JJ

28/04/2013 at 19:43

Today was mean to be a rest day. But my friend Debbie wanted to do the 6 mile off-road club run, so I want along for support It too us 1:12, 12 min pace. Going to go next week and do 8 miles.

28/04/2013 at 19:46

Monday - 4 miles

Tuesday - shredding

Thursday - club 5k

Saturday - parkrun 5k

Sunday - 6 miles off-road

29/04/2013 at 06:55

Good morning, 

TS

a remarkable steady long run, hope there is no negative effect from it this morning, when do you get to see Jules? My s-i-l ran Manchester marathon yesterday in 3:51, which was a good time since work got in the way of his training and he had only managed 2 long runs of around 15 miles, he said he bonked at mile 20 and walked for a mile to recover then picked up the pace. He drove home to S London went straight on the Internet and entered the Welsh Marathon in July. Manchester is the flattest marathon in the UK and the Welsh one which is in Tenby this year must be rather hilly to say the least. Wonderful scenery but--------. He must be mad. All his training is done in S London, no hills to be seen there!

Tracey

you had a good weeks training last week.

JJ

my greengage tree is a young one, last year I had 2 fruits of it and didn't share them with anybody. However, this year looks very promising it is smothered with delicate white froth. We covered it with fleece on Sat night to protect against the frost. So you might be lucky!

Well my running has gone onto the back burner. I did a lot of weeding last week on my knees, LOTS. I am now suffering the consequences. I think I have managed to inflame my IT band. My knee is slightly swollen and walking not comfortable at all, let alone running. I only ran 11 miles last week. If I go missing I will be sulking behind a celandine weed. I am pondering TS's thought for the day! 

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 06:59
29/04/2013 at 07:22

I am not sulking yet------

is anybody watching "The Politicians Husband" on BBC 2, I think it's on a Thursday pm at 9.00. It's gripping. I am biased as David Tennant is the male star and he is my favourite actor and he also flies my kite! 

aws
29/04/2013 at 07:57

Good morning

5.08M; 1:06:06.8; 12:59/M 8°C

Garmin diddled me this morning as I finished the run I saw 12:59 and when I pressed the stop button it flipped over to 13:00, so I'm reporting it as I saw it.

JJ - Those tulips must a bit flighty, they're back to pic 1 this morning. I'm not surprised they're difficult to show, I've always thought them unsuitable as cut flowers, they just don't seem to last long.

al

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 08:03
29/04/2013 at 09:43

good morning

aws
quite right too!! Next time press faster
still small type here

JJ
good spot!! 64:57 = 94:57!! As I can't go back and edit it now it will be stuck there for posterity. I can almost remember when a time like that for the distance was quite normal
You need to get out there sharpish otherwise you will be complaining it is too hot for running

Ceal
ouch - the celandine must be pretty big in your garden!!It's a dangerous world out there, everything seems to conspire against running.
SinL did very well to finish on that sort of training - as for Wales...........
As I said it was my easier route yesterday - lots of nice flat stuff but still quite pleasing.

Same weather as yesterday welcomed me as I stepped outside but at least I was better prepared with my merino top on. Wind still sharp and cold - and strong!!

6.34 miles done in 52:25 (8:35m/m) which coincidently was exactly the same pace as yesterday's run

1m 8:46
2m 8:03
3m 8:39
4m 9:04 - got stuck, unusually, crossing a road
5m 8:33
6m 8:39 Hipps Hill
.3m 2:40

Miles 2- 5 were run on the nicely dry and newly mown grasss of the Stray, just need a roller over it for it to be  a perfect running surface

29/04/2013 at 09:50

Ceal
I was supposed to see Jules on Friday but realised I am away for a couple of days so it is postponed until the following week
My back was much the same this morning, painful until I got going. Now if only I could run all day......................................

I did watch The Politician's Husband. Spent much of the time trying to work out who the various characters were based upon in real life - came to the conclusion that it could be anyone - they are all ambitious, lying, conniving, cheating barstewards

29/04/2013 at 09:54

re gardens developments
The first white tips have just appeared on the magnolia tree which has quite a sheltered location surrounded by hedges. However the aubretia is in full, vibrant flower all over the patio walls and in the cracks where it has self seeded to an ever greater extent!!
It must like these sunny, dry, cold conditions

29/04/2013 at 09:55

whoops - sorry aws

29/04/2013 at 09:59

Morning all
               My turn to sulk as i have now torn my left calf muscle yesterday,exactly the same as i done to my right some ten weeks ago.So i guess it's another x amount of weeks out.Well that's life.

TS--Good running going on by you and a nice exercise post

Ceal-Hope your injury heals pretty rapid,going to watch the 1st vets track race meeting tonight,may see john b if he's there.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.