Over 60s training.

129,281 to 129,300 of 133,764 messages
aws
03/05/2013 at 15:21

Ceal - I am so sorry. I saw your long spiel earlier and didn't bother to read it then as I had to go out directly after. Now I've read it I am aghast to see that you may be about to quit running altogether. I hope that doesn't happen knowing how abstinence has affected me when I haven't run for some time for any reason. You have been an inspiration to me especially knowing that you only started serious running a short time before I started, albeit not so avidly as you did. Your achievements have been simply amazing and you have become wellknown in certain circles and I am sure that many people look up to you and are uplifted by your demonstration of what can be accomplished by putting your mind (and body of course) to it with determination. And determination is something you haven't lacked. Your whole approach has been admirable and your focus something to be aimed at for any aspiring youngster or not so youngster coming into the sport.

May a mere nobody have the privilege of congratulating you most heartily?

al

03/05/2013 at 16:45

Tracey, Graham and Busbar thanks.

aws that must be the nicest post that I have ever received on any RW thread. Thank you  X 

never say never, but it does seem unlikely. It's too long to be out of running at my age to return again at the standard that I would be happy with.

03/05/2013 at 17:44

Lovely day and the garden looks quite colourful. Quads hurt after yesterday's run so that's eight tight muscles.

Ceal
Bad news indeed but don't make any predictions just yet about the future. The time to do that is when the problem has been resolved and you can take stock at a less emotional time. When you are in a position to think about restarting or giving up there are some points worth considering.
The first is that there is no reason why you should stop running. You may need to re-adjust your targets and training methods but you will get bqck to top class W70 running. All that will happen is that it will take a bit longer. No-one can train at 70+ like they did at 60+ but that doesn't stop you being a top class 70+ runner.
The second point is that you are a very experienced runner. There is little or no info about proper training for people of 70+ and it would be a great pity if that experience is lost to the sport.
The third point  is that you will have to do something if you want to stay looking 55 years old so it may as well be running.

aws
Are you sure it's not a pic of the Mississippi?
JJ

04/05/2013 at 00:14

Ceal - fat and unfit you will never be! I'm quite sure you will find some other way to remain fit while your knee heals.

When I joined this thread you were just on your way to - Helsinki, I think it was - where you set a new world record. You have been inspirational then and ever since.

And thank you for your interest and comments on swimming front crawl. I think you're probably right about stiff ankles.

04/05/2013 at 00:54

ceal,
I am sorry to hear that you have another injury but I am not too surprised to hear that you are considering giving up on running. It seems over the last year that you appeared to have lost the heart for competitive running.
It is a great shame as I think there are still lots of mountains out there for you to conquer and new standards to set for women's running.
At my gym I am frequently ask by women who are just getting invovled in a running programme, questions about how they should train. They often limit themselves with comments like "I couldn't possibly run that fast".
I often use you as an example saying that I know a 70 year old woman that beats me over 5k with no problem, so why can't you.
I hope you reconsider when you don't hurt anymore.

An easy 9k for me today, along the river trail, at an average pace of 5:26 per k. I ran with a new running partner so lots of chatting and getting to know you. We are building a good retired group of runners at the gym, always someone to run with.

aws
04/05/2013 at 07:50

Good morning

7.15M; 1:34:02.5; 13:10/M; 9°C

It was consistent, that's all.

Ceal - I'd have thought you'd have a lockerful of nice comments.

al

04/05/2013 at 19:31

aws,
You ran for 15 mins longer than me today, well done.

It is all very quiet again, it must be all this good weather, gorgeous day here as I ran a shortish LSR around my neighbourhood as we have a son and girlfriend visiting.

04/05/2013 at 23:07

Tired of pyramids; did intervals instead. 2.5 minutes fast, 2 minutes walk. Five of them. Nearly all .25 of a mile, or very close. Fastest was 9.48mm, slowest was 10.14mm.

05/05/2013 at 08:59

Good morning,

JJ

wise words, thanks, 

Columba

when a knee is involved it is difficult to find an excise which doesn't involve it. I was not given the go ahead to swim. I knew breast stroke would be a no no, crawl I front crawl as yet. Good work with your 400 m intervals.

Mick6

it has been difficult to maintain competitiveness with my running. I am too old to have a go at the O 70's world records again I will /would have to wait until 75 before having a go again. There is no one in the UK to chase. I was top of the rankings lastyear for all distances from 1500 up to 10k by quite a margin. In my vets track races I would often have to race as an O 50 or an O 60 and of course I wouldn't win!! I became disillusioned at racing against people who were up to 20+ years my junior.  It is difficult for me to lower my standards, I have only come 2nd in my age groups races about 4 times in this country since I started running snd racing, all the other times I came first. In International races I came 2nd 5 times, 3 of which, I made sure I came 1st next time around. The other 2 were when I was in my last year in my age group and the winner was new in her age group. 

However, that all said, I find no difficulties in being competitive with myself when I train. I the above holds some understanding!

it is a bank holiday this weekend, actually the weather here was rather cool and a it wet, but today will be brighter and warmer. 

aws

yes indeed I do have many complimentary posts to look back on but it would appear to me that yours came right from your heart.

Impey

i didn't comment on your changed sleeping pattern. I think I am the only one on this thread who can empathise with you. I have been an insomniac  for the past 20 years. Yes, I have been told that as one gets older one sleeps less. I do understand that but I don't think that statement should be applied to those of us who are athletes, unless of course one doesn't feel tired as a result of the sleepless nights. I DO feel tired when I sleep badly, and I am guessing that you do too or you wouldn't have mentioned it.  

i have been doing my duties for my knee, which including using my sons's ice machine yesterday which certainly helped with the swelling. I went for my 10 min walk, which was anything but comfortable but didn't seem to do anything negative as result. My back aches from lying on the sofa with my leg stretched out. But all things considered there is an improvement all round. However, there is one small area on the lower inside area of my knee which gives me a constant niggle. A sort of trapped nerve feeling, especially in bed at night. 

This site still sucks, there are others on the thread bug forum having the same problems with their iPads when posting on here. 

Edited: 05/05/2013 at 09:52
05/05/2013 at 12:19

Ceal - really sorry to hear about your injury. I'm sure if there is anything you can do to sort it you will! Good luck. I can tell you there was no shortage of 80 year olds at Rotorua this year.

We had a great family trip, My daughter, 3 gdaughters, my husband, son and Mae! It was interesting. Son put in a late entry the night before the marathon. He doesn't believe in training for them

Daughter supported my son, and husband supported me.

Rotorua is a lap of the lake, and is very hilly. The walkers and slow runners start at 8am and the rest of us start at 9.30am. 

I couldn't see any 4hr balloons at the start, so started behind the 3.45 ones. Kept them in my sight for about 16km. I felt o'kay till about 30km and the wheels started to fall off, but kept on keeping on and was very happy and surprised to see 4.03.32 on the clock when I finished. I was 2nd in the W60-64 age group and got my survivor's t/shirt.

They aren't easy, but always so good to get to the finish.

T

05/05/2013 at 12:49

NZC

MANY MANY CONGRATULATIONS. 

05/05/2013 at 13:17

Christine, that's a really good run to get so near 4 hours on a hilly course. The wheels couldn't have come off too badly. Well done on the 2nd place. Was there a prize?

ceal, having achieved what you have, I do see that motivation to carry on training hard isn't easy. I know you like running on the trail near your home. Would trail racing be a different way to go in future, just to do something new and a fresh challenge?

The Newcastle Park Run had over 500 runners yesterday! I don't think I'll ever go sub-20 there as I'd need conditions to be spot on and certainly no congestion. However, there's a vets 5000m track race near here in September I've got my eye on. 

05/05/2013 at 15:12

Graham,

i had if you remember ran a 10 k trail race here in E G. last nov time and indeed I enjoyed it. My worry at present is having not run for so long that I will find it very difficult to get back into it. Also, I know that knee bursitis can be quite persistent. But I will do all I can to get it better asap. 

NZC

how did your son do? What a good idea to start the walkers and slower runners some considerable time before the main pack. You must be feeling very chuffed right now, Proud too.

05/05/2013 at 18:20

NZC,
Well done, I constantly amazed how you and Tracey can turn out these marathons, well beyond my capability.

ceal,
You are something of a pioneer and there is not the density of competition that exists in the men's older AGs which you can target, so I can certainly understand your comments
You have said before that you got a lot of fulfilment from your achievements and I can see how it must be difficult to have to wait until 75 before you can start racking up new records.
I think running serves different purposes for us all. I personally get a lot from just training rather than the actual racing. I like setting myself some objective and constructively building my fitness to attack it. When it comes to racing I can usually get into or at least very close to the top 3 AG, but most of the joy comes from hitting the targets I had set.
I hope you work out a new scenario for your running and I wish you the very best with your recovery and lets hope it is quick and not like my prolonged struggle.

A rest day for me and then this week is a taper for my 5k on Saturday.
 Objective : 
         Maximum effort, 90%+ WHR for 50%+ of the time
         Sub 22:30 or close
         Top 3 in the 60 - 69 AG, May be tough as some fast 60 year olds will turn up

Training has gone well. The last 3 months looks like this.

Database Log
-----------------
Run Database Summary - Range 1
-----------------------------

First Run Date = Mon, Feb 04, 2013
Last WeekEnd Date = Sun, May 05, 2013
Number of runs = 77
Number of Weeks = 13, Total Distance = 801.5 Kms
Average Distance per week = 61.7 Kms
-------------------------------
TAG COUNT SUMMARY - Range 1
count = 021 Treadmill
count = 012 Easy
count = 014 Recovery
count = 010 LSR
count = 004 Fartlek
count = 003 Hills
count = 002 LongIntervals
count = 000 MixedIntervals
count = 003 Progressive
count = 000 Race
count = 004 ShortIntervals
count = 002 Tempo
count = 002 None
-------------------------------

Mick

05/05/2013 at 18:38

NChristine--Well done on your marathon time,a few days rest i suspect is on the menu.

Mick6-All you have to do now is go out and race it,you must be confident as your training has been good.

05/05/2013 at 19:02

NZC
Many congrats on pulling that one out of the bag. Not bad at all.

Ceal
You want a great vtrail race? Try the Eridge 10 in September.
One way of avoiding injury may be to move up to road and trail races that are a bit longer. More steady miles would be needed and a bit less of the short, very fast training that breaks things.

Mick
Everything points to a very quick 5k. Maybe I will open a book on your time.
JJ

05/05/2013 at 19:07

Mick6's 5k time. Place your estimate below.

JJ     22:17

Nearest estimate does NOT get a tuna sandwich. All losers will win a tuna sandwich.
Copy and paste the entire page to a new post. Enter your name and estimated time. Click submit.

05/05/2013 at 19:49

Evening all

Busbar/Ceal sorry to hear about your injuries, fingers crossed for a full recovery for both of you.

NZC terrific time for your marathon.

Graham good luck with your track racing.

I entered the ballot for VLM, must be mad.

frustrating few weeks as I managed to sink back under the black cloud but thankfully we both spotted signs early and I seem to have come out other side after just a couple  weeks. My two weeks leave over Easter seemed to be the trigger as we both became more aware of where we weren't with Liz's recovery.

Anyway managed 60 miles in April, had to take a week out with knee and hip pain - turns out to have been caused by shoes starting to break down, normally have two pairs on the go so this reduces impact of aging shoes. Possibly the extra 20lbs hasn't helped.

Start of May has been slow as had small op to remove a lump but managed 4 yesterday and 7 hilly miles today. Still finding it difficult as I haven't got the breathing sorted yet, it's taking a while to the asthma in its place.

Progress on our gardens have slowed but our gardener is in next week to set the railway sleepers in place, I'm adopting by labouring role. Unfortunately the decking may have to wait until next year as our boiler sprung a terminal leak - we knew it would need replacing but had hoped for a couple more years.

Mike T

05/05/2013 at 19:54

Oh no, sorry AWS I nicked the TOTP.

My father has surprised us again. Just before his 87th birthday he bought an exercise bike and now just after his birthday he joined the Internet age - there have been a few phone calls but he has done well in his first week and has signed up for a course as well.

Mike T

05/05/2013 at 20:33

NZC - congratulations on getting your surviers t-shirt

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.