Over 60s training.

129,481 to 129,500 of 134,575 messages
20/05/2013 at 21:03

Empty
nothing worse than a few tight bits - particularly around the waistline  !! 

Mick6
sounds very nice - smelling the flowers as you run. Liliac is nowhere near flowering here yet although that may have had something to do with my vigorous pruning last year!!
It was my second week of 50+ miles and so I  felt a bit fragile today hence the reduced pace though in truth the VO2 max calculation say I should be running more miles at that pace - but it just feels too slow and the HR indicates it is!!

Diana
well done on helping set up the Parkrun. Sounds like a good course on a dry day!!
Good time for your trial run as well.
Congratulations on the 50 days of 5K or more - how many miles did you finally cover?

20/05/2013 at 21:04

Columba 
My long run = 2,000 calories!!!!
trouble is one eats to replace the energy lost !!

20/05/2013 at 21:28

Great run Tracey - you must be pleased with that.

Diana - nice 5km too - congrats on running 50 days in a row.

Mick - can't say we have much lilac growing in Auckland - not sure about other places in NZ.

Torque Steer - I was feeling very fragile yesterday too, and not so great this morning either. Lower back a bit sore and left hamstring. Trouble is you never know, if you do a little bit more hoping to get things going a bit, you can undo all the good you have done, but if you keep doing the same, you get the same.

I still felt alright on my normal Cornwall Parkm 6km last night, nice to be running on the grass. Might have a rest day today or just a walk.

20/05/2013 at 22:23

TS, I checked, and I did 359k over the 50 days, which is 223 miles. I managed 130 miles in March and 127 last month. 89 so far this month. No runs much more than 6 miles, and a fair few not much over the 5k. I've not aproached your 50 mile weeks, but a few 30+

Hope both you & NZC feel less fragile after an easier day or two.

21/05/2013 at 09:37
Good morning,

I have had a busy last few days.

NZC
Your sharp turns and mud didn't add up to be able to do a fast 5k. But you gave it all your legs would allow you too and I KNOW that when the marathon is completely out of your legs your speed will return.

Mick6
Your runs always sound like they are done in very attractive scenery. You are set up well for a 10k race, you have the pace and the endurance required. I wish you all the best.

BTW my sister in law has Lymes disease from sheep ticks.

Empty
The M25 has a lot to answer for. You sound as if you had fun catching up with your family that you don't get too see very often. Some encouraging 1 mile reps and an impressive long run too. Which club are you thinking of joining you. Will there be anybody else that will leave the joggers too?

Columba
Well done on your 10 mile reach, especially as you didn't know it was going to be an official race. You had a tasty reward!

Tracey
Another good race from you.

TS
Your training is going very well, even though your legs were not happy after the last 16 miler. It goes with the territory of training for a marathon!!!!

aws
Good to see more sub 13 min miles.

Diana
I am in awe of you running every day for 50 days. You have certainly scored well with your challenge and continuing to do so.

JJ
I hope you have had a good time with g children, or was it g child?

To add to the comments about over 70's who are running or not running now. TS gave his point of view and in principal I think he was talking mainly about men. Back in the days when the present 70 yr old ladies were 20--30 yrs old, there weren't many ladies running then. It just wasn't done. They weren't allowed to run in marathons. So this is one explanation why there aren't many O70 ladies running now.

Stewart is 60 yrs today, we are going to Cornwall with the whole family at the weekend and staying in a large Duchy ofCornwall cottage. Hoping for warmer weather but I don't think this will happen. We are staying en route with friends who live in Burnham on Sea. I have never been there before.

The younger lady dr I saw, was not young, just younger than the one I had seen earlier in the week, who is partly retired. She was not the sort to be impressed with elite runners!! She was sort of told but her repose was very patronising.
Edited: 21/05/2013 at 09:40
21/05/2013 at 11:59

good morning

a NRM - running tonight, and it could be long!!

Diana
that was an impressive total -  you were nearly 50% over the average daily target so some runs were quite a bit longer
It should do wonders for your basic fitness as well.

NZC
we are a fragile pair !!
Legs and body are ok generally apart from the right knee which I jarred a bit going down a kerb and has decide to stiffen up and all the other long term aches and pain which I just ignore!! 
Grass running would be nice for a change but I will wait until it has dried out a bit after a deluge at the weekend

Ceal
Yeas that age demographic certainly influences current stats.
In fact the whole base for women's running was a lot smaller than for men's even then.
It is probably reversed nowadays - all I see are women running!!

Congrats to Stewart and I hope you have a wonderful, if tiring, holiday with all the g'kids around. You will need to act of the injured athlete and be waited on hand and foot!!

21/05/2013 at 16:45

Diana,
Well done on the 50 days, not sure my old body could hack that.

Ceal,
Thank you and yes I am very lucky to have lots of really attractive running routes but I do have to drive to them, on my bonnie of course.

TS,
50 mile weeks will certainly start to drain the battery which will make your speed work all that tougher but well done to two in the bag.

A comfortable 5k for me today with a couple of pickups at 10k race pace.

09:15 AM Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Gym5.1k, 14c, cloud, 2 pickups at 10k pace, felt ok.
Run tagged as Fartlek
Total Run Duration = 28:08, Run Length = 5.1 Kms or 3.1 Miles

Selected Lap Detail
Lap Duration Kms Miles Per Km Per Mile AWHR   MWHR Cadence Slength(m)
04     03:35   0.77  0.48    04:41   07:32     76.2%   81.8%    90.0        1.19
06     02:17   0.49  0.30    04:41   07:33     80.4%   84.6%     90.0       1.18

Totals and averages for selected Laps
Lap Duration Kms Miles Per Km Per Mile AWHR  MWHR   Cadence Slength(m)
02   05:52     01.3  00.8    04:41    07:32     77.9%  84.6%     90.0         1.18

21/05/2013 at 18:07

mIck6
tapering nicely 

Strangely I did my mile intervals last week right in the midst of big miles and they felt ok

Mention of back pain reminded me of this article back pain - interesting development in treatment. Now who said -" treat the whole body, not just the symptoms" ??

K2
21/05/2013 at 18:29

Hello!
Remember me?  Though given that this is the Over 60s thread maybe I shouldn't be asking that. 

I can't remember the last time I posted. Our computer died suddenly a few months ago and so now we have a lovely new one which I'm still finding my way around. I don't think I'll even attempt to read back!  I hope you're all relatively well and running fairly ok.

I'm getting back into running and have been doing a bit of cycling as well.  One of my "possibles" is the Action 100 Bristol-London ride (acually 117 miles) at the end of August. K3 and K5 have done it and said what a great event it is. I'll inly do it if I can do it within about 10 or 11 hours and without damaging myself, other than being very tired.

I did the Self Transcendence 2 mile race last week and was delighted with my medal rate of one per mile. One for 7th lady and one for 1st FV60. K3 got the men's versions. I'd post alink to pics but I don't think there are any as it was horrible weather, which also meant it was alow turnout. I leave you to put two and two together with my medal comment. 

Any going to LFOTM next week? I may go over but haven't decided yet.

xxx

21/05/2013 at 20:39

'evening all.

Hectic weekend with the grandchilds. Just about recovered from Saturday which included a whole afternoon in a huge park playing hide and seek, tree climbing and lots of football. Couldn't move properly until today.

Columba
I've been evaluating 70+ training from two main directions. The first is by observing race results and secondly by talking to as many M70s as I can find. Without exception the first complaint is the problem of recovery. Most guys will admit that a 10 mile race and even a quick 10k will leave them with sore legs  for a week or more. The logical progression from that point is that a hard training run will prevent further training for two or three days. So the requirement is to get the balance of two types of training. You can do several short faster runs a week or a lesser number of longer runs. This also combined with a steepening drop in maximum heart rate due to the ageing process. You can't hope to continue anywhere near levels achieved in earlier years. At some point in the 70s the drop in performance is likely to be quite severe and that seems to be what makes M70s retire in droves.

Mick
Interesting stats on the drop in numbers in each age group. It ties in with what I've posted above.

TS
Don't know if it will help b ut your 16 mile pace was roughly the same as my 18 milers when I ran 3:53 for a marathon. The difference is that you still have a long time to train whereas mine were a in a 16 week programme.

Ceal
Please give Stewart my best wishes. He will now have to admit to being over 40.

Tracey
Useful 10 miler. Good result.
JJ

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 20:41
aws
21/05/2013 at 20:52
Edited: 22/05/2013 at 07:56
21/05/2013 at 21:47

Amazing Aws! Looks like the same person, but you the younger of the two pics!

But that's just what happened. My Mum died at 57 and Dad at 72, and he thought he had a good "innings" Life was hard then.

JJ - glad you survived the hide and seek - sounds like you had a lovely time. 

Regarding the over 70 or even over 60 grades, I think there is also a difference in those that have always run, and those that took up running when older.

K2 - nice to see you back. Looks like you have been trying your hand at everything!

Ceal - happy birthday to Stewart.

I look differently on the aging thing. I started running when I was 10, and finished 2nd in the first unoffical NZ Women's xcountry in 1962. The winner - Milly (Mildred) Sampson. She was my hero. I was 12 and she was over 30 - I thought that was ancient! She would be now be 80? She stopped running years ago.

She is listed in the progression of the world's women's marathon times. She lived just up the road from me.

I've run when very few women ran, competed in the '80s when the standards were very high, and I'm still here.

As a kid it was "go Peter Snell", then it was "John Walker" then "run Forest run".

I've  got no records but have lasted the distance. Most good runners don't seem to keep racing into their old age, I guess because they've already achieved their goals.

I got a comment from one of the Rotorua marathon organisers when I became a survivor - 15 Rotorua marathons, that not one of the  Rotorua marathon men winners was a survivor and only myself and Bernie Portenski who had been first women home in the event had become survivors.

We all have different aims and goals in life. I was always the runner in the family, and I guess I will always try to keep running if not racing for as long as I can.

Now I'd better "touch wood".

21/05/2013 at 22:45

NXC - I'd be interested to know the results of your thinking re those who have always run, and those who took it up when older.

K2 - welcome back! Indeed, how could we forget you? (Personally, I think of you every time i fasten my Garmin onto my wrist).

Aws - that likeness is amazing.

X-C with the running club tonight. We were told we'd only be doing 4 miles, in view of the fact that a lot of us had done the hilly 10-miler on Sunday, and many would also be doing a 5k tomorrow.

However, in the event we did over 6.

I have a lilac bush but it's not in flower yet.

22/05/2013 at 07:28
Good morning,

NZC
Thanks for your post above, I found it EXTREMELY interesting. Your experience is similar to a runner here, Pam Jones, except she is O75, and still doing well. So you have a way to go yet!!! Running is in your body.

Columba
That sounded a bit mean of them!!

aws
Both you and your Dad have the same front teeth.

JJ
Do I understand that things were a it hectic with the g- children.

K2
I will be away for the May LFOM. I thought, originally, that you planned to come for the June one. Sounds as if you are doing well.

Thanks for the good wishes for Stewart, I have passed them on.

I am now off of read TS's back pain page,
22/05/2013 at 07:32
TS
Yes I had read about the use of anti biotics in chronic back pain but not in such detail. So thanks for that.
K2
22/05/2013 at 08:23

ceal
The possible visit this month is a spur-of-the-moment thing, due to things at work.  Have a good weekend.

22/05/2013 at 10:50
Am I going mad or what. Where have the photos of aws gone?
22/05/2013 at 11:36

good morning

aws
the picture of Dorain Grey - has vanished!!

NZC
fascinating background to your running - now you will have to keep it up to show the guys!! 
I believe that a lot of the top class male athletes from the 70-80's still run but that they don't compete in races any more. The triumphirate of Coe, Ovett and Cram certainly still run but aren't seen in races - not surprising really, I have enough difficulty motivating myself for races where  I get passed by fancy dress costumed runners so I imagine that if you have been at the very top the idea of competing when not at  your best is not too appealing.

K2
welcome back
as our resident expert on Adidas shoes- what is the current model that most closely resembles the original Adidas Adizero Adios (the orange and black one!!). The Adios 2 had a load more cushioning put in to it and now there are new models  all over the place!!

JJ
I know what those weekends can be like!!
thanks for the info about your training pace - I hope I am quicker than that which is why this race was appealing - it has given me time to properly build up and not be artificially compressed as I was starting from virtual scratch as far as running was concerned though I had spent a lot of timeo n body conditioning as my physio rebuilt me!!

Ceal
as Ihad a dodgy tooth/gum for quite a while it seemd relevant to me! In fact I have just had an injection of slow release anti bacterial gel put into the gum to properly clear it out to be repeated twice over 8 weeks. Didn't hurt - apart from in my wallet!!

Last night's run was shorte rthan aticipated at 4.4 miles but with some fairly brutal hills so I had a bitof puff left for 8.05 miles this morning in 66:04 (8:15m/m) with avHR 133 (68%WHR) and a max of 146

1m  8:45  122  133
2m  7:50  130  141
3m  8:14  131  140
4m  8:19  135  139
5m  8:18  136  141
6m  8:04  135  145
7m  8:22  140  144 Hipps Hill
8m  8:08  137  145

still some HR drift at this speed so more aerobic conditioning needs to be done.
Other than that it was quite a comfortable run on a pleasant, cool, still morning with clouds of cherry blossom drifting gently down as I ran along the paths lined with these trees.

sounds pretty good but I am suffering with a sore throat and I suspect it is from early pollen as the plants try and catch up on their growing season!!!

22/05/2013 at 11:37

maybe AWS was trying to bag the totp for his display of genetics

aws
22/05/2013 at 12:55

Good morning (I can say that because noon is at 1pm in BST)

7.18M; 1:33:22.8; 13:01/M; 10°C

Disaster struck this morning and I had the worst fall I've had whilst running. I was crossing over a side turning and I suddenly found myself face down on the tarmac and I heard my chin hit the ground. I have a vague recollection that my right heel touched the kerb slightly as I stepped down, but whatever it was I finished up with two slightly grazed knees, two badly grazed hands, and a slight graze to the upper lip. When I got up I was aware of a pain in my right chest which has only got worse during the morning and has the feel of a cracked rib. (If that's what it is, it's a case of forget it and soldier on, if my experience with two broken ribs after falling downstairs a few years ago is anyting to go by.) Typically I was about halfway round my route so there was no choice but to keep going and ended up doing the last bit nearly as fast as the first. The hand grazes wouldn't stop bleeding and blood dripped everywhere. Showering when I got in was an exercise in not covering the bathroom with blood, especially the shower curtain and the towels. Miraculously I managed it and eventually stopped the bleeding on the left hand with styptic pencil, ouch! There's a little piece of skin about the size of a capital O missing from the top of the little finger on my right hand and that wouldn't stop bleeding. I don't know for sure if it has even now as it's well and truly covered up, at least it's not leaking, but it was when, of course, we had to go supermarket shopping, didn't we? and blood got on the milk containers if nothing else. Also manoeuvring the trolley with the chest pain was no joke nor carrying the bags indoors when we got back, Angela can't carry heavy bags.

Enough of my woes. Anyone else had any fun?

al

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.