Over 60s training.

129,581 to 129,600 of 133,894 messages
30/05/2013 at 17:32

Mick, low moaning is endurable I suppose!

Hope the back improves soon, TS. I could never find good prices on rail tickets when travelling for work, despite rumours from colleagues that they existed. I flew to Manchester as it was cheaper than the train, and enabled me to do a pretty full day at the office without staying over.

Astounding performance from a V75! I imagine he won his age category.

We did a bit of a tempo run last night, but not as sustained as recommended by JJ. Rather a damp affair, but it kept the midges at bay, so fine by me. I have got to 125 miles so far this month, and tonmorrow's run is almost certain to be 6 miles, so I may well break my monthly mileage record again, as my highest to date is 130.

30/05/2013 at 17:46

Carp weather again today.

Diana
He certainly won his age category even though he was in the M70 group.

Mileage PBs are very acceptable. Well worth a tuna sandwich.
JJ

Edited: 30/05/2013 at 17:47
30/05/2013 at 18:09

Diana
make sure tomorrow's run is over 6 miles 
Physio appointment made - see what her magic hands can do!!
At least I will arrive for the meeting with all my Minutes read and actions prepared - a four hour journey is good preparation time when there are no train changes to go through.

I may well be bidding for a tuna sandwich as the monthly count currently stands at 173 miles.........................

The back lawn looks like it has been snowing. The apple tree has had so much blossom on it, never seen so much before, and it is slowly dropping. Only trouble is that there have been so few bees around that it may not have ben pollinated yet!!

Edited: 30/05/2013 at 18:09
30/05/2013 at 19:51

TS
I share your concern about apple blossom and the lack of bees.

I'm sure her magic hands will be a big help. 'Nuff said really.
JJ

30/05/2013 at 20:14

Diana,
Well done on your monthly mileage, you are going to beat me. I had a couple of taper weeks this month so I will come in around 210 kms no where near enough to challenge TS.

Hill run done last night but it was very humid even if the temperature was only 23c. This morning it was a recovery run in the same sort of conditions so my HR was up a bit even though I was slow.

My over 60 regular running partner also raced this weekend, he did the 5k. He was placed third but when he checked the pictures the winner in his age group 60-64 looked 30 at the oldest. He pointed this out to the time keepers and within 24 hours he was bumped up to second. Now I have a problem as I only came third. I did beat him a couple of weeks ago when we ran the same distance but you are only as good as your last race.
Not that I am competitive but just wait until our next race.

30/05/2013 at 21:11

Aws - which estuary?

TS - a cricket ball? - Wouldn't a tennis ball be sufficient?

I've seen a few bees around, - and hover-flies and butterflies - though not as many as usual at this time of year (in particular, have seen no red-tailed bees, which are usually the earliest to appear) - so am hopeful that some pollination has taken place.

Went swimming. Not a lesson this time, as it's half-term. Lessons resume next week.

30/05/2013 at 21:31

Mick6
good camera work!!  I always think I could pass for 10 years older at least at the end of race photos.
yhou need to scan yhou rrace photos as well - or have you already done that??
Better put some miles in tomorrow or Diana may overtake you as well  

Columba
we had a flurry of orange tip and small whites a few days ago but nothing since.
Tennis balls are for wimps !! Actually instead of a cricket ball and its raised seam I use an alabaster ball - in fact I have just used it and can testify to its unique properties for inflicting pain

30/05/2013 at 22:41

TS,
Here I am.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/nc2013-1.jpg?width=350

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/nc2013-2.jpg?width=350

aws
31/05/2013 at 07:45

Good morning

nrd

Mick6 - those pics look just like the first I ever saw of you. Are you sure you're not recycling them?

Columba - The one in my head

TS - why mess about with balls when you could be using: https://www.thestick.com/ like what I do.

al

31/05/2013 at 11:52

TS - that makes me a wimp, then. 

Sunshine and blue skies today. Spent some time chasing a massive wasp out of the house. S'pose it's a queen, and she's now gone to start off a nest conveniently near my plum-tree, so her offspring can feast on them in the autumn.

31/05/2013 at 14:49

Off to London shortly. Staying overnight for a wedding tomorrow morning.
JJ

31/05/2013 at 15:44

Afternoon all

Bit behind the times but happy belated, belated birthday wishes to Stewart, congratulations to Mick and Tracey on their races and ouch to aws's misfortune (hope you are healing now Alan).

Bit jealous of the great mileage from TS, Diana and Mick. I managed a 101.5 (slow) miles this month, most miles since January 2012 now the trick will be to keep it going.

Did think of aws and JJ, in particular, this morning when a Prof. was on breakfast TV saying that we shouldn't be so bothered about maintaining historic spellings of words but go with common spellings - just had this vision of them both jumping up and down.

Last Friday I had my lactate threshold test which involved being strapped into a climbing harness and then climbing up onto one of the biggest treadmills I have ever seen my life and be attached to a safety rope; hope they do it for everyone and not just because they thought the poor old so & so might pass out !! Then had to run at given paces for 3 mins, stand astride the belt and have HRM recorded and blood taken. This was repeated until it became very hard as it wasn't a maximal test.

I'm waiting for the results from Uni and a phone call from Keith Anderson to give a coaches view as to what it means for my training at the moment. The immediate results I saw seemed to indicate I fell off the lactate cliff at 150 bpm in a big way. Interestingly that's about the bpm I ran VLM in in 2008 for my PB, don't think the pace was the same though

I also gave Keith some facts and figures to help with his feedback including targets, historic mileages and performances.

Mike T

31/05/2013 at 17:10

evening all

Empty
that sounds a very thorough test - and knackering one as well. Useful coorrelation with your previous data as well.
Mileage comes at a cost -  apain in the bum to be precise!!!

Mick6
that looks like an ol' wrinklie so you must be in the right age group !!
I did mean look at the photos of the runners that finished in front of you to see whether they passed the age test!!

Columba
Strangely it had no effect - mainly because the ITB is fine according to my physio. She thinks I have a nerve impingement coming from the knee and I now have a bruised bum where her elbow has been!!! 

JJ
enjoy the day!

Lovely day here - warm sun and no wind, almost felt like summer. I did a gentle 5.62 miles in 52 minutes (9:18m/m) with avHR123 before going to see the physio so that any symptoms were well manifested .I felt better running than sitting down!!!!

Edited: 31/05/2013 at 17:17
aws
31/05/2013 at 17:16

JJ - re Empty's post, you jump up and I'll jump down.

al

31/05/2013 at 18:03

MT,
2005-9 were big years for mileage and for PBs. I can remember you posting regular new PBs back then. I would be interested in seeing what your profile looks like when you finally get it back. Do you have an old one to compare it to.

TS,
I, of course, checked immediately he told me about the youngster claimining first place, but no, they all looked the part.
I remember having the same problem and then got called for jury duty and got stuck in a court room for a month. I sat on one of those little knobbly balls and just kept moving backwards and forwards, but it is very uncomfortable.

Another easy run today as the temp is now up to 29c and very humid. I managed a 5k along by the river in the shade of the trees.
A long run planned for tomorrow but it is supposed to cool over night.

aws,
Thank you for the compliment, I don't think I have changed much in 6 years either.
Check the lastest model Mizunos.

31/05/2013 at 22:17

I managed my 6+ miles today, so achieved a record month of 131.7 miles. I'll be volunteering rather than running at the parkrun tomorrow, and will be happy to be an onlooker.

Glorious day down here, and we had a pleasant evening in the conservatory, watching the birds fly by. We've now lost almost all the abundant apple blossom too, and did see some bees, so fingers crossed.

31/05/2013 at 22:17

Well spotted and well promoted Mick!

aws
01/06/2013 at 02:08

http://alanshelley.co.uk/99076GreatLangdale14x10.jpg

Great Langdale

Edited: 01/06/2013 at 02:11
01/06/2013 at 16:01

Ran Orion 5 mile off-road race in Epping Forest this morning.

50:57

Average pace 10:03

10:07

9:49

11:11 - biggest hill

9:40

K2
01/06/2013 at 18:52

Nice one, Tracey.

And aws.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.