Over 60s training.

129,921 to 129,940 of 134,580 messages
aws
25/06/2013 at 16:26

Columba - I too wondered about the bare feet. tmi

al

25/06/2013 at 19:04

Hello,

Just been reading about news of Chouette's operation.  I do hope she does recover well from the hospital stay and that the biopsy results are good to show that what has been done made it a complete success.

I remember very well Chouette when meeting her in 2009 where around 14 of us got together for the Serpies 5k.  Still have the picture in my mind of her overtaking me in that race halfway round !

Please convey my good wishes to her too.

Ceal,
I see you are continuing with the  fast pace  in walking. When do you think you'll be able to return to some running ?

I haven't been on much of late, to be frank about it I have not been too good.  Found out that when I had that trouble with sleeping it was due to a form of depression.  So the upshot is my doctor has put me on some ADs and I now begin to feel the benefit, I sleep better, eat better and feel positivity coming back.

Still running ,though down to 2 sessions a week and a 5k parkrun each Saturday. I sure don't want to give up on running .

25/06/2013 at 20:33

Impey, good to hear you're feeling more your old self. Sounds like you've got a good doctor there. Running has to be a good thing both physically and mentally when you enjoy it so much.

25/06/2013 at 22:09

Visit to a local garden tonight owned by a Sir and Lady. Probably the best designed garden I've ever seen.

Ceal
I think you can safely wish Chouette our best wishes from everyone on here.

Impey
Hope the recovery continues. There's a lot of evidence to suggest that running is a good antidote to depression.
JJ

K2
25/06/2013 at 22:15

Columba, aws
Didn't look at their feet. 

Impey
Good to hear that the medication is helping.

25/06/2013 at 23:05

Impey, - oh dear; depression, not good at all. Lots of evidence that running - or any "vigorous exercise" - wards off depression.

6.61 miles X-C with the running club. Included lumps, bumps, tussocks, clumps of reeds, just-ploughed fields, squelchy muddy-water-over-the-shoes bits, and an almost vertical climb to a triangulation point from where there were wonderful views all around.

26/06/2013 at 02:26

Sounds like a great run Columba - you are a great adventurer!

Impey - glad to hear you are feeling good again and still running.

Ceal - poor Chouette - hope she is going to be o'kay.

Your walking is very fast. I'm a stroller!

Aws - beautiful painting.

I put in a bit of effort yesterday, warmed up and ran 2km as fast as I could then ran home - short and sweet, but I have a 4km xcountry race on Saturday, so thought I'd better give myself a bit of a hurry up!

Ran 9km with my mates this morning. 

aws
26/06/2013 at 07:55

Good morning

6.03M; 1:16:47.6; 12:44/M; 12°C

Keep on keeping on, I guess.

K2 - So you didn't see the whole picture!

al

26/06/2013 at 14:32
Hello

Columba
Loved the description of your club run last night!

JJ
Perhaps the Sir and Lady had plenty of money to throw at their garden design. A garden question for you from me. A pidgeon has very kindly dropped a poppy seed in exactly the right place in our cottage flower bed. The beautiful flowers are pink with black markings. The flowers are now seed pods. My question is should I be taking off the seed heads so that I get a 2nd flush of blooms later in the summer or do I leave them on to ensure some seeds bring new plants next year?

Impey,
I am sorry to hear of your depression, but it is good to hear that you are getting help. How is your Mum? I remember how hard I found things when life for my Mum became more difficult for her. I won't be running for a while yet, thank you for asking. X

NZC
Sounds to me that your motivation is returning!! All the best for your x country race. I can do strolling too, but am trying to walk fast to keep a minuscule amount of fitness going. Actually I am finding that walking briskly is quite tiring and it makes my low back/hips ache in a way that running doesn't.

Mick6
I have just watched a young female Canadian tennis player play very well on centre court Wimbledon, and knock out one of the seeds. She is quite pretty too. Her name is Eugine Bouchard.

There has been a spate of injuries at Wimbledon, they are dropping like fles. Such a shame.
Edited: 26/06/2013 at 14:34
26/06/2013 at 19:16

Thanks everyone for your response to my post re depression.
Until I experienced the feelings that  came with the mind illness I never realised how people really suffered.  Of course, mine is relatively mild, but when you hear or read about those who have it so severe  and really go through the mill when it gets so bad they feel like ending it all ,I can sense  a little of their anguish !
Some days I did feel very down and despondent and lost interest in listening to music and reading, even gardening. All the time though I kept up some running but that itself would not have cleared the symptoms.

Never had this problem ever in my life before so how it  became manifested in me was quite a mystery.  Perhaps some anxiety there as I have worried at times about my mother but wouldn't have thought it would affect me that way.

Now I have said that, I shall stay positive and let the ADs (and running) do their job and restore the chemical balance in my brain. Cliche.....onward and UPward .

Ceal,
Yes, I do remember the time when it was hard for you looking after your mum.
My mum will be 93 in November.  This week she had a visit from a nurse to assess how she coped with being on her own at home as scanning has revealed some memory loss. We shall see her tomorrow as per usual to do some cleaning and shopping and take her out to the coast maybe.

Running wise, there was the 5k parkrun last Saturday when I ran a slower time of 29.58.  I think possibly the meds may be slowing me down but I'd  prefer getting better completely than being concerned too much about race performance, for now at any rate !

Monday ran 5 miles.  Today ran 5.2 miles, mile times 11.55, 10.22, 10.21, 10.11, 10.20.  Being in afternoon when the sun came out it was a little too warm and rather close so the run wasn't a bad one methinks !

26/06/2013 at 21:21

Impey - I'd be very happy with times like those! - Never managed a 5k in less than 30 minutes.

I think, when a difficult situation goes on and on and on, even when in itself it doesn't seem too bad a situation, it can really grind you down.

Aws - forgot to say how much I liked the pic, - especially the little pale clouds drifting in front of the mountain (which looks to me very like a once-was volcano). I see no 13s again in your last run.

NZC - you seem to be running nearly every day!

26/06/2013 at 21:46

Visit from baby granddaughter today but MrsJJ had gone to Oxford for grandmother duties there so I had junior to myself.

Ceal
I don't know what specie of poppy it is but I don't think you will get a second flush of flowers anyway. Take a chance and leave only one or two seed heads to mature and it may also flower again. If it self pollinates you will get the same plant from the seeds but if it has been cross-pollinated you will get something different.

aws
13s seem to be a thing of the past!

Columba
I think you are turning into a traditional harrier.
JJ

K2
27/06/2013 at 11:30

ceal

Wishing you a fabulous birthday and a great year to follow! 

27/06/2013 at 12:12

Afternoon

Ceal A very happy Birthday today and  a fantastic year to follow

If you get in contact with Chouette send her my best and wish her well. I've sent her an email but  it may be a little while before she reads it

Not run since  Monday will be out for a little one later been busy  as we had our stocktake  yesterday so a  bit  zombified we have a busy week still so this will probably  be a  down week but hope over next 3 days get in at least 20 hopefully  one 30. sunday  may have to be a rest  day

27/06/2013 at 15:44

Happy birthday Ceal!

Harrier indeed! - I don't choose these X-C runs; I just go out with the club and do what they're doing, - but usually about 10 or 20 metres behind.

Been swimming. This was the last of the lessons until September (there is one next week, but I shall be away).

I've never suffered from depression - not clinical depression, that is - but have been close to three family members while they were going through it, and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

27/06/2013 at 16:16
Hello

Many thanks for Birthday good wishes. Another year bites the dust, too many are passing by far too quickly. The sun has been shining today which has helped me come to terms with the additional year which has been inflicted on me without my permission! I went for a 5 mile walk this morning, it was both warm and sunny. I have, at my request, been given a white paper kindle, which I know will be put to good use and has in fact already done so.

JJ
Thanks for the poppy advice. It is a very tall poppy and quite large foliage. I have removed, as you suggested, all but 2 of the seed heads.

Impey,
Are you both still doing some walking together? I hope you had a good day at the coast with your Mum and that the weather was kind to you all.

I had a surprise this afternoon, Chouette called me and chatted for about an hour. She will not know the outcome of the tumour for anything up to a month, but of course is hoping that it will not be that long. She sounded strong and very positive. She had been for a 40 min stroll by the river with friends. They are making sure that she is not on her own at all. All in all she is doing very well, all things considered. I will keep you all updated when I hear any more news.
Edited: 27/06/2013 at 16:18
aws
27/06/2013 at 17:31

Yeah, Happy Birthday Ceal, have lots more but stop counting if you haven't already. (There'll be enough other people to do that for you)

aws
27/06/2013 at 17:42

When I went to feed the fishes in the pond this morning there was something struggling in the water. When I rescued it I found it was a stag beetle and I took some photographs of it. I also looked it up on the internet and there I discovered that it's a protected species in this country, which I didn't know. The website asked for sightings to be recorded and gave an opportunity for photos to be uploaded to their extensive gallery, 963 now. I sent in 2 and was surprised to find them being exhibited immediately. This is the website http://www.ptes.org/moremammals/greatstaghunt/gallery.php but unfortunately you won't be able to identify mine as they're unreferenced so far as I can tell, so I'll post them on here in case you're interested.

aws
27/06/2013 at 17:53

http://www.alanshelley.co.uk/StagBeetle.1.jpg

aws
27/06/2013 at 17:54

http://www.alanshelley.co.uk/StagBeetle.2.jpg

Stag Beetle (2)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.