Over 60s training.

129,981 to 130,000 of 134,001 messages
01/07/2013 at 21:27

...and a couple of pics

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/runhr_6.jpg?width=350

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/runmap.jpg?width=350

The lower chart is the course I ran but colour coded to show what HR zone I was in. As you can see I was in the red zone for over 50% of the course so pleased with the effort I put in.

No more races for a while, I want to concentrate on mileage and speed work.

01/07/2013 at 22:57

Mick - a very good time, and a very good age grading.

Not sure about fitness. However, I do seem to have lost a few pounds recently, - not many, but maybe enough to make me run a few seconds per mile faster! Legs have been aching today.

A dog running in front of a peleton, - that would indeed have been carnage, doesn't bear thinking about.

Impey - the fall might have given you a bit of an adrenaline boost, - though as it was a race, you probably already had all the adrenaline you needed.

02/07/2013 at 07:45
Good morning,

Mick6
A well fought race, you certainly couldn't have given the race any more of yourself. For sure the humidity would have raised your heart rate somewhat. Good placing too.

Columba
Losing some weight has to be good!

Impey
At least you are being checked regularly for the pressures on your eyes and help is then given to you immediately, if needed.

I had an excellent day out with Graham and Margaret. The weather was kind to us. We travelled to Sheffield Park on the Bluebell Railway and then made our way up a grassy hill to the National Trust Gardens. There was a very tranquil atmosphere in the gardens which we were able to absorb and enjoy.
02/07/2013 at 07:49
I have the latest news from Chouette. She is to start radiotherapy next Tuesday followed by, possible, some chemo. She will be monitored regularly by scans. A taxi will be sent to take her to the hospital in Dijon and someone can accompany her. She sounds very positive that there will be a good outcome because the tumour was caught early.
02/07/2013 at 11:57

Great that she's positive. Give her my love. That treatment probably won't be much fun, - though I understand that chemo nowadays has less severe side effects than used to be the case.

02/07/2013 at 20:30

Encouraging news about Chouette.

Mick
Not a bad run at all. Useful age grading as well. You made good use of the competition!

Columba
There's a table to show speed gained over 10k per lb of weight lost. Someone may have it. The gain is very substantial.

Impey
I haven't yet finished with running but if it came to a choice I would keep gardening.
I'm taking a running sabbatical.
JJ

02/07/2013 at 20:31

Just to prove I haven't yet finished with running I'm about to trawl the internet for some new trail shoes.
JJ

02/07/2013 at 21:31

6.19 miles done with the running club; part on road, part off road including lots of hills and up to a triangulation point. For once, I was not right at the back for the whole time (though was, for most of it).

Off to London tomorrow; may not be posting while there.

02/07/2013 at 21:34

Oh dam!

I just lost a long post! Just when I want to go out for a run.

JJ - those shoes might be just what you need to get you out the door

Mick - great report - tough race with all that competition but you rose to the occassion - good work. 

I don't know what my best age-grade is. Do you mean for Cornwall Park run or just in general.

Graham - nice time for your multi terrain course - you must be annoyed with the 2nd over 60 placing when you were clearly 1st!

Ceal - nice for you to meet up with Graham and his wife - sounded lovely.

Didn't run yesterday - went to lunch with our son instead.

I'll finish now so I don't lose this too!

aws
03/07/2013 at 07:57

Good morning

You don't want to know about this

6.04M; 1:21:58.9; 13:35/M; 14°C

or rather, I don't want to tell you about it. I just lost the plot completely, or was it just the legs? It was really hard going and just to add insult to injury a young slip of a girl ran past me on the other side of the road making it look so easy as she disappeared towards the rising sun. She didn't though because it wasn't,but if it had been she would've. Oh shut up, Alan.

al

Edited: 03/07/2013 at 07:58
03/07/2013 at 19:56
Good evening

COR I am exhausted from watching the Murray match.

Nobody's around since aws posting this morning.

We are nearly at the 130,000'th post.
03/07/2013 at 20:00

Very quiet around here.

NZC,
I was wondering about in general.

aws,
I have, long ago, reached the point where I just enjoy the sight of them passing rather than the thought of  'can I catch them', far too depressing.

A nice couple of days of easy running, 10k each day.
The first day was recovery pace the second was easy with a pick up at the end. They were both on the same course so it is interesting to see the different HR zones as I progressed the course.
The first one is recovery and the second the easy with a pickup at the end.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/runmap1.jpg?width=350

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/runmap2.jpg?width=350

03/07/2013 at 20:02

Hi ceal,
You were not there when I started typing.

I have a physio session tomorrow, really just a chat as I want to find out why my calf muscles are getting so tight and making my heels sore. I am not really injured just still troubled with sore heels.

03/07/2013 at 22:04

A bit slow on here!

Went to see new granddaughter today plus two dog walks and some gardening.

Murray made hard work of his victory.
JJ

03/07/2013 at 22:14

Good evening

Not seen much tennis so was worried I'd put the marker on Murray, certainly took us to the edge.

I tried my threshold run tonight round an undulating local route, which I'd last run as an easy run on Sunday. Easy 1st mile followed by 4 at threshold and then warm down mile'ish. Threshold miles at about 148 hr compared to ave 140 for easy runs, threshold miles averaged 8.33 so happy with those.

Mike T

Edited: 03/07/2013 at 22:18
04/07/2013 at 11:57
Good morning,

JJ
I think that the Spanish guy made it very hard work for Murray. It seemed to take him 2 sets to read his game. The new grand daughter, is this another one or the one born a couple of months or so ago. Is Mrs JJ still in Oxfordshire?

Empty,
It is looking good. You were a good boy and kept your HR very steady at 148/9 for the threshold part of your run.

Mick6
I hope you had an informative and productive session at your Physio. Your charts are very colourful!

Weather is making a change again, set out for my walk in cool temps with drizzle and I finished it in bright sunshine. I am noticing with interest the wild orchids growing along the side of my trail. I didnt't realise that they were orchids until Graham made me aware of the fact.

I walked just over 5 undulating trail miles, the 5 miles having been a walked in 72 mins.
Edited: 04/07/2013 at 11:58
04/07/2013 at 13:12

Good Morning,
We have a heat advisory today so I am in for a warm one. I was planning a speed session but I think that is not such a good idea.

ceal,
You are obviously enjoying your walks, maybe a little more time to see what is around you rather than concentrating on your running.

I was just checking the formal results from the weekends race and noticed that I had been well beaten by both a lady in her 60s and a man in his 70s. I clearly have work to do.
Another pic for my collection but this time my feet are off the ground.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/canadaday2013-2.jpg?width=350

04/07/2013 at 18:21
Who is going to get the 130,000th post??
04/07/2013 at 18:48

so that will be me then  - the winner takes it all

04/07/2013 at 18:52

not long back from a fabulous holiday - Cuba is a lovely place and Havana is an amazing city. I could happily spend a lot more time there but it will have to be soon before the Americans get in and ruin it - it's bad enough with Canadians using it as their local tourist destination!!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.