Over 60s training.

130,221 to 130,240 of 134,358 messages
29/07/2013 at 11:33

Morning all

Diana d-well done for sorting out scanner problems,had a race like that once where I was doing finish duties and was lucky not to get over run so to speak.

nzc-You certainly run on all terrains and don't dip out of anything,

Pammie-Just keep it going

JJ-Looks very nice there,glad you enjoyed it

Empty-Nice run again its going well

Graham-Hope your friends calf injury gets better.i cant imagine running across Australia with something like that.Good luck for your race tonight

Got my calf strapped up yesterday and done a run of about 11miles and it was slight pain but not to bad.Guess its not the right thing to do but don't feel to bad today so I am hopeful I can just carry on.

29/07/2013 at 21:24

Did an easy run/walk this morning with the doodle then gardened all day including some heavy digging. Stopped briefly to get a perfect blood pressure check done at the GP's. I feel pleasantly tired.

Empty
You're clearly improving very quickly.

Graham
41 miles a day with a potential weakness is a very big ask.

Busbar
Make sure you recover properly.
JJ

30/07/2013 at 06:08

JJ - you're doing it - think you'll sleep well tonight!

busbar - hope you haven't over done it - good luck.

Had a run on the bushtracks with Mae - nice and easy.

30/07/2013 at 09:58

Well, after my slight disappointment with the 5000m recently I had a much better time on the track yesterday in the 3000m. No pressure beating a PB as I didn't have one for that distance and, initially, no target time either. Then sub-12 minutes came to mind and there was no going back. 

The runner who just beat me over 1500m was organising last night, not running, but he spoke to me as he arrived and said I was going well. That gave me a boost. Originally the women were going to run with the 60+ men but they ran by themselves, leaving two races for 60+ men and for those under 60. The first time I've raced entirely with my own age-group and above.

I'd been talking to a bloke who'd just turned 60 and was running 19:30 5Ks and less, so I knew I wouldn't be seeing him for dust and sure enough he was well ahead quite quickly. I was in 3rd place but not too far behind the 2nd. I kept him in sight for 4 laps and then passed him. People were shoutng "Come on Harry", so I was pretty sure he was Harry Matthews, a very well-known runner in the NE. He's 66 I later found out.

I looked back a couple of times but seemed to have established a lead over him so pressed on hard to finish in 11:50:09. Very pleased with that. It looks like being my last track race of the season unless I do a 10,000m in September. Apparently the 5000m is for M65 and above.

30/07/2013 at 11:18

Graham-Brilliant time by you not to many guys your  age would beat that I can assure you.The 10,000 would be be a whole new experience if you ran it,why not give it a go as you are in fine form.

30/07/2013 at 12:04

busbar, yes, I'm tempted but 25 laps doesn't sound like too much fun!! As you say though, a new experience and I'll probably give it a go. Good run from you yesterday - hope your calf is behaving itself afterwards.

30/07/2013 at 12:17
Hi,
Sorry I have been missing. Have been busy which included the family coming for the day on Saturday, we had a great day. I needed lots of recovery afterwards after all the food prep etc! Stewart went off to Malaysia yesterday, on business. We have solid rain today, good for the garden and was a new experience for me to walk 50 mins in the pouring rain!

NZC
You mad, mad lady, 2 races on one day! What a shame about your old club, I hope that it is resurrected with success again.

Graham
Very well raced, that was a good sub 12 min 3000. Your name must be getting to be recognised and feared in your area! I only raced one 10,000 on the track, that was in Italy and it was hot. I think the conditions have a lot to do with how it goes. I wouldn't mind doing one more, but only one!

busbar
Your calf muscle is being very naughty, the strapping seems to have helped. I would imagine that your calf won't be so strong as the other and may contribute towards your slower times.

JJ
What a romantic looking location for the cottage you stayed in. Wonderful.

Pammie
Keep going and going -------------

Diana
You did well the other day to overcome the technical problems. The present rain, which I think you have having too in your neck of the woods will be very welcome on your allotment. All our veg and fruit is doing very well this year. But not our courgettes, I blame the seeds as it was the same last year with same packet of seeds.
Edited: 30/07/2013 at 12:19
30/07/2013 at 13:33

Great 3000, Graham!

We do have the rain ceal, and it has finally filled the butt at home, which OH has rigged to overflow via hose to the pond, which is now finally getting topped up. I used the same packet of seeds as last year for my yellow courgettes. Last year they barely germinated, and this year we can hardly eat & give them away fast enough!

Cottage and location look lovely JJ.

Take care busbar!

800m reps last night, which were toughon an undulating gravel trail. It was very warm & humid too, before the weather broke. We just did 4, all at about 4:00 - 4:15

30/07/2013 at 18:44

JJ - your holiday area looks idyllic.

Graham - many congratulations! You must be so pleased with yourself!

I find the prospect of your Australian adventure quite unnerving.

NZC - well done on the cup; they should have renamed the race "Queen of the Mountain" in your honour.  

Aws - lovely "light" study. I love stained glass windows, and particularly the effect you sometimes get when the sun is shining brightly through them and making glowing patterns on a marble floor.

No running done for several days, as I have a cold. My nose, however, is running magnificently.

30/07/2013 at 19:09
Columba
You are the 2nd person I have heard of with a streaming cold at the moment. I hope you recover well enough to enjoy the visit from your son and family.
30/07/2013 at 21:14

Felt like a run this morning but it was raining heavily so I resisted the temptation.

Graham
Very good 3k result. You should be getting close to 40 minutes for 10k on the track with a bit of competition and good conditions.

Ceal
Your namesakes appeared with each fishing boat when it returned from a trip.

Columba
The holiday place can't be too far from you.
JJ

30/07/2013 at 23:36

Graham,
Great time, no wonder you are pleased.
I too find your Aussie adventure a little unnerving, 41 miles a day is scarey.

NZC,
I used to think Tracey was the toughest member of the thread but I think you may have displaced her. 
Where is she, on holiday somewhere?

Busbar,
I share your frustration with injuries but patience is what is required at our age.

Still getting out there in the heat and humid but the running is slow. I am also heavy into DIY which leaves me ready for bed well tired.

aws
31/07/2013 at 07:39

Good morning

0518; 6.04M; 1:19:14.0; 13:08/M; 16°C

Graham - You've got guts contemplating 41miles a day. And for how long? I can't even do 41miles in a week just at present.

al

31/07/2013 at 09:18

Mick6-Your right of course and I have decided to not to risk any more damage so will have break from running till its better.So back to the swimming pool for however long it takes.Also would cycling on the static gym bikes hurt or help?

31/07/2013 at 10:30

Graham - great time for the 3000m, if you've never run 10,000m on the track, it will be a great experience. 

Busbar - good luck with the recovery.

Columba - get well soon.

I ran 9 kms with my friend this morning - usual Wednesday run.

31/07/2013 at 12:31

Busbar,
I have done a bit of my own research on which of the gym machines I felt gave me the best workout to maintain my fitness while recovering from a running injury. I based my findings on being able to maintain my HR at a comparable running effort.
I found the stationary bikes a bit too easy and if I tried to get my HR up, my legs would give out too early.
I found the steppers and ellipticals would aggrevate my achilles after a short while but even so it was hard to get my HR up and maintain it.
The best by far was the rowing machine. My HR would be much higher than the other machines and I could maintain it for longer but not as long as when I am running.
I have mine own pool, which is conveinent but I had to work too hard to get my HR up and could not last long.
I would recommend the rower as long as it does not irritate your calf.

Off to the gym and a pleasant run along the river, I want to see if I can spot the Osprey, as he is supposed to be still around.

31/07/2013 at 12:51

Mick6-Thanks for that and have a good workout.

31/07/2013 at 13:56

aws, don't forget it's Mark Allison doing the 41 miles a day, not me. I'll just be tracking him in the motorhome for a couple of weeks. Not that it's going to be a holiday, especially as he intends to start each day at 6 o'clock (although I know that's not early for you ). He plans to keep it up for 70 days (with four or five rest days) to reach Sydney on Christmas Eve. He certainly has got guts and it's going be very tough mentally as well as physically.

31/07/2013 at 17:25

Mick, I literally bumped in to Tracey at the Olympic stadium on July 21st, and she posted on another thread on 29th, having done a tough 10 mile race.

aws, I don't think I've ever managed 41 miles in a week. 30+ is rare, and seldom achieved.

Take care busbar, and get well soon Columba.

Three (nearly 4) year old grandson got his 5 metre swimming badge today - very proud of him!

31/07/2013 at 18:55

JJ,

Good to see you had a nice relaxing time at the cottage by the sea.  Did you take doodle with you?  Sounds a great place to get away from mobile phones and pcs .

Graham,

Hope your friend Mark can master  the formidable 41 miles per day.  Quite a challenge down under!

Busbar,
Careful with that calf muscle niggle.  Perhaps some time without running will help.
Not that I follow my own advice, I have a slight groin niggle, not the first time it's happened.  Foolish or not, I am still running but with caution.

Columba,
Tell that cold to run away .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.