Over 60s training.

136,861 to 136,880 of 137,335 messages
08/02/2016 at 16:26
Alsoran
I have just opened up the blog and can see immediately that your daughter is a highly intelligent and educated lady. You must be proud to be her Dad.
08/02/2016 at 20:46

Ceal, thank you for your reply. But please don't think I'm looking for sympathy or anything! Honestly, I'm not - and anyway, canny people would say sceptically "that's just his side of the story..." and all that. No, it simply arose because of that huge blog on running that I'd found today. I suddenly thought of my daughter's strange blogging habit - all these longish posts, yet hardly anyone has ever made a comment! Must feel like writing to thin air...  And as I've often thought about these things of the past recently I just wrote about it here on impulse - pretty usual for me!

I replied twice to her blog. One comment, where I must have somehow given away my probable identity, was immediately deleted by her. I fooled her with the second though: a comment on the poem 'Enoch Arden' (summer, 2013). She obviously thought it was someone else because she gave me a civil reply

As for feeling any pride in her - NO! I'm afraid not, I just can't, no matter what high minded stuff she writes. Her absolutely horrible letter to me in 1994, when I'd tried to get in touch with her at university, and in which, among many other awful things she ended by calling me an ogre and an "evil b--------d", and in which she commanded me never to dare try to contact her or her sister ever again, was all just too hurtful to get past. 

As for my youngest daughter (at that time), I literally know nothing. She doesn't blog or write on the internet so no trace of her can be found. I have a feeling that my eldest got it into her head that I favoured her little sister - something which was completely untrue!! - I loved them both equally and am not just saying that. So this unwarranted jealousy (if my guess is right) must be part of the cause of her life long bitterness towards me, that and having been thoroughly brainwashed (or something!) into turning against me, by her mother. And what a good job of that she made. I don't really know what I feel any more, but I know I don't hate anybody - neither my ex-wife nor my eldest daughter. I just feel very, very sorry about it all, and always will.

I've been happily married (again) since 1982, and we have a daughter of 27. She seems to have no interest in ever trying to contact her much older half-sisters, saying she wouldn't know what to say to them. Also, her interests are very different. So that is that. I wouldn't try to get her to do that if she has no desire to.

I did take some exercise later today, but  only walked just over 4 miles, i.e. into town and back. Better than nothing

08/02/2016 at 20:53
Alsorun
I am very pleased to hear that your second life is a happy one

Walking is good exercise. 4 miles walking is a long way!!! Harder than running that distance.
08/02/2016 at 21:13

Alsoran, that is such a sad story, I hardly know what to say. Such harsh feelings within families are really distressing. As you say, not only do you feel very sorry about it but you always will. I can pray for you, and I will (undoubtedly so will Aws, if he happens to look in on this thread) but it doesn't sound as though that rift is likely to be healed this side of eternity. I'm so glad you have your 27-year-old daughter whom you have a good relationship with. 

Canute also contributes to the Over-50s thread on the Fetcheveryone website, and is full of interesting and well-thought-out information. Always worth reading. 

Welshpoppy - yes, thank you, I did Liswerry (even blogged about it on Fetch, - much more about me than about the race, though). 8 miles, all flat, all on road, 1 hour 34 mins. It was wet and windy (so what else is new?). It was chip-timed, so I started off right at the back, having nothing to lose thereby, and succeeded in overtaking a few, - there were 8 behind me at the end. I met LazyDaisy from Fetch there; we have met before, and were glad to see each other as otherwise we'd both have been there on our own. Had a cup of tea together before we went on our way. Well done for 5 miles on a treadmill; that is truly heroic.

WD60 - sorry to hear about the diagnosis and the need for steroids, - but I note you're determined to make a come-back! And although TS thinks it "unlikely I will ever run again" I also note you haven't actually given up but are still run-walking!  

Went swimming today. The weather was absolutely awful, - so glad I hadn't planned a run!

08/02/2016 at 21:31

Ceal, yes I would agree. Walking 4 miles seems so much further than just running it!

Columba, thank you. Yes, I get on absolutely fine with my third daughter, though the music and books she likes I can't stand and vice versa....haha! Just sorry she lives so far away in Manchester. And would love if she got a proper job - but she did Psychology - maybe not such a good idea these days. If she'd done Computer Science at uni, as some of her friends did, she'd likely have a well-paid job by now.

Poor you with your awful weather. Come north, come and live in Scotland.... and learn to love Nicola....!

09/02/2016 at 08:21
I have heard from JJ, he is fine and I have copied and pasted some of his email for you to read.

" I'm afraid I have so much going on that I'm taking a sabbatical from running so that I can cope properly with the rest of life. I haven't said goodbye because I intend at some stage to make a reappearance but it's taking longer than I expected. I still can't resist building in some sort running exercises into the twice-daily dog walks. We still have house jobs being done and we're up to 6 grandchildren now. MrsJJ has hit 70 and the celebrations still seem to be on-going. I also have to get the garden really up to scratch because we are having it open to the public twice this summer for charity.
You can see that something has to give and temporarily it's the Running

Regards to one and all and I've not forgotten anyone. Keep them posting and I will catch up at some stage"
09/02/2016 at 08:37
For those of you who may remember me mentioning our friend Simon who ended his life in October, last year, at Dignitas. There is a programme on BBC2, 9.00 pm tomorrow evening (weds), on Assisted Dying. It is called Simon's Story. It will present both sides of the argument. It will be hard for us to watch but we will do so.
09/02/2016 at 09:50

good morning

guess what?? After a night of total deluge it has actually stopped raining

Folks generally
don't misunderstand me so well  What I actually said was 
"It is unlikely I will ever run again, having not done so for 18 months, at anything like the standard I once did, even age adjusted"

It is a qualitative not quantitative statement.

It's just that the days when I memorably misquoted and said "darhling, I wouldn't even get out of bed for 5000 m seem a long time ago.

Alsoran
that is a a very sad story to hear and whilst time does heal hurt it is the opportunity lost that stays with one.

WD60
I hope you don't have to take a drugs test any time soon
I think, like me, that you are due for a trade in for a newer body model!

Welshpoppy
5 miles on the treddie is very impressive - and much better than outside in that weather.
mileage back up there so your progress has not been interrupted too much

Ceal
well done - and a very consistent set of results as well in such conditions as well. Its all about leg speed and maintaining it and you will be fine. Remember your opponents will not know what condition you are in and you can probably con them over the first lap and a bit if you get to the front with your elbows and then the race is only over 600m!!

Good news about JJ.  
I am currently drawing up plans for work on my house - looking at the stock market turmoil this morning it could be a good investment!!!!!!!!

09/02/2016 at 09:58

Gosh, J J must have wonderful house and a huge garden if it is the sort that one can open to the public! I had no idea. Thank you, ceal, for satisfying my curiosity about what had happened to him!

Edited: 09/02/2016 at 09:59
09/02/2016 at 09:59
TS
Don't broach on the stock exchange subject
09/02/2016 at 22:58

Ceal - thank you for the news of JJ, - send him a hug from me, and suggest he might post some photos of his garden on the thread (he has done that before). I'm glad he and Mrs. JJ are well. And the Doodle.

Long day today. Work in Aber, then ran for nearly an hour on the Uni's running track (it was very windy, but the rain held off for most of the time I was running) and a rather horrendous drive home through sleet and snow over the high ground, turned back to rain as I came down to lower levels.

09/02/2016 at 23:00

Alsoran - I sort-of lived in Scotland during part of the 60s, as I was at Edinburgh Uni then.

Bit mystified by your reference to Nicola...

10/02/2016 at 06:38

Columba: Great result at LLiswerry well done and great session yesterday.How are you feeling about your half?

Torque: Thanks yes that is the way I have looked at things all going well at the moment.I ran 5 mins faster for a challenging route yesterday but it was in daylight and that makes difference as body is more awake

Just getting ready for my run well I will do after my oats

10/02/2016 at 21:37

Not really thinking too hard about the half yet... I shan't attempt to beat the Lake Vyrnwy pb. Several other family members are doing it (not sure yet how many of them) and I'm thinking of it more as a family gathering than a race. It's a lovely race, though, really well supported, well marshalled etc.

4 miles done today at "easy pace". Weather conditions vastly improved, - no rain, no wind; sunshine; a bit cold.

10/02/2016 at 21:44

Non running post.I'm at my mum and dads as my mum only has  2/3 days to live.

10/02/2016 at 22:32
Tracey
My love to you and your family, thinking of you. X
10/02/2016 at 22:37

Tracey, I don't know you but what you say is extremely sad. I am very sorry for you at this awful time in your life.

Columba - it was just a silly joke! Nicola Sturgeon - First Minister of Scotland, SNP having a huge majority here! I thought most of the English got to know her name because the Tories used the threat again and again that if Labour won the election she'd have Ed Miliband in her pocket!  Have a look at http://www.sunnation.co.uk/why-its-tory-ed-miliband-deal-snp-nicola-sturgeon-general-election/ for example.

I ran my usual 4.42 miles again yesterday but took over two minutes longer. Actually thought I was doing quite well but my watch says otherwise. Though it's a one track road and there are good, normal roads for cars, they seem to keep using this little road although they don't need access, and zoom up and down it far more than they used to.  So I had to keep stopping and stand at the side, often in the mud, to let the pests past. That didn't do my running time any good.

10/02/2016 at 22:56

Tracey, my heart goes out to you. So sorry.

11/02/2016 at 10:47

Thank you for your kind words.

Alsorun, I'm 51 and have been on this thread since 2005 after running my first marathon.

11/02/2016 at 12:24

Tracey
sad news from you - take care of yourself and your family.

Alsoran
we haven't heard quite so much from the blessed NIcola and her associates about the robustness of the independent Scottish economy and Scottish oil since prices went below $30/barrel

Ceal
I haven't seen the programme yet but will catch up on it.

Columba
sounds like you are  enthusing the whole family into running and racing!

Welshpoppy
daylight makes such a difference!

I turned out for the usual early morning drag and for the second day running there was clear sky, light frost and early sun's rays already colouring the sky pink and blue - a perfect runner's day

I trudged on around my normal route and came to the start of my old 400m interval path. "why the hell not" thought I - "it's only pain"
So I eased into it on the slight downhill, sun now fully out, still air and that wonderful feeling of cold, fresh air slipping past one as the body responded. 86 seconds later all over and only slightly out of breath as I rammed the Mr Sensible hat back on and resumed the trudge back home.

I was caught up a short while later by one of the runners I see regularly who said "just wanted to say how marvelous it was to see you running again" as she went past, which was nice that she had caught me in that moment!!
Crocus in full bloom reminded me that max HR testing used to take place on this hill......................

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.