Over 60s training.

137,581 to 137,600 of 137,678 messages
01/08/2016 at 11:11

TS: You were right, dad!

01/08/2016 at 19:48

It would not be too difficult to guess that this is a 60+ thread, everybody seems to be nursing something. Despite that the collective spirit is so positive, although we have lost a few in the last year or so.

Graham, 

Good to see you moving back up the AG again.

You may want to try crtl a followed by crtl c every now and then, when typing a long post. All you have to do if you lose it is a ctrl v and it will reappear. 

My running is going well but any speed work has been severely limited by the constant hot weather. It has been going on for weeks.

My youngest has finally moved out. We loaded all her stuff into a uhaul which I drove down to Toronto this weekend. A lot of heavy lifting and many hours of driving,  but nothing complained this morning so I did an easy 5 miler with the last 500m comfortably under 8 min mIles despite the heat.

Mick

02/08/2016 at 15:10
TS
I think you will have been getting rather wet in London today. It started to rain yesterday, late afternoon, and is still raining at 3.00pm today. But we did need the rain. You seem to me to be putting in some respectable paced miles despite not being at your potential best at present. If your body/back can take it you will if your spirit has anything to do with the end result. I am surprised to hear that you have one of the flattest park races in the country. Here is East a Grinstead where it is certainly hilly but not as hilly as where you live, there is NO flat area anywhere.

Mick
You are having a much hotter summer than I remember you having last year. How many are left living in your house now, including your dogs? All you gym work has provided you with all the appropriate muscles for all that baggage etc moving/carrying.

WD60
I am so sorry to hear of your re-emergence of pain again. Have you researched fibromyalgia and gut bacteria? Here is one link, but there are many, many more

http://bodyecology.com/articles/the-hidden-cause-of-fibromyalgia-a-natural-treatment-for-pain

Columba
I keep meaning to say that I think that if OA is the main cause of your knee problem that on getting up in the morning, the discomfort/pain is worse than it is as the day passes by.m

John
Naughty boy, pushing your Achilles!!! I have raced along Portsmouth lakeside a good few times. Always good for a PB if there is no wind involved!

We had another singing experience at Brighton Pavillion Gardens on Sunday, lovely weather made for a very successful performance.

Last week I had my belated birthday present from Stewart in the form of the first of 2 half day lessons on creating a large (115 X 90c) mosaic picture for our garden. I hsve done some smaller work before but never for outside. I think I have decided on the subject and it will be called The Jewel Garden. Another lesson on Thursday then I am on my own! An exciting, but rather scary project ahead.

Tomorrow I will be looking after young Betsy (aged 5 yrs) from 8.30 am -- 6.30 pm. She is a perfect darling but very hard work she never stops. She also suffers from ADHD which is part of the condition of her hypochondroplasia so by the time I get home tomorrow evening I will be all in!!!

I did run on Saturday and Monday, both around 3.9 miles.
Edited: 02/08/2016 at 16:15
02/08/2016 at 22:51

John B - I envy you all those parkruns; my nearest is getting on for 40 miles away.

TS - rueful smile at the Adizeros in their box. I have 2 pairs of Adizeros, and haven't worn either for quite a while. Laughed at your idea for an Olympics competition. No. I don't ice the knee routinely, though I have done on occasion when that was what it seemed to be demanding. It was niggling a bit today and I wondered whether I should or should not do the planned 2 and 3/4 miles, but in the end did and it seems none the worse. 4:1 run/walk; all done round the lake, which is flat, which may account for the fact that I ran faster than I have done for a while (though actually not fast at all). Ibuprofen gel and a knee support were involved.

Ceal, I can't say I've noticed that it's worse in the morning than at any other times.
I wondered whether Betsy was subject to ADHD, as you've mentioned often that she's extremely active. You will indeed be very tired. Is she at school yet, and if so is she getting any special help?

03/08/2016 at 09:15
John
If you pick this up today, I am in Worthing if you fancy a chat and a cuppa.
03/08/2016 at 10:57

Hi Ceal

That would be nice - but I'm just off to Reading (I get to go to all the cool places!) to an exam board (and cool events!).

Al the best!

03/08/2016 at 12:29

good morning

John
don't worry - I used to nag Ceal as well but now that she has graduated to singing, a subject about which I know nothing, and have even less talent for, the opportunities have slipped by!!
Enjoy Reading - I used to visit the less salubrious end of the town - London Road, when carrying out a major retail park redevelopment there.
There was a very efficient bus service tot he railway station. it was the first time I had been on a bus for easily 20 years and I was astonished to find that all the stops were announced in advance and that I could even get a text message to alert me to the time of the next bus - progress eh!!!

MIck
good deed done
Are you now empty nesters - until they all come back?!
Nice reward by way of a run for your virtuous moving efforts

Columba
I have an old pair of Adizeros which I wear around the garden - they are nice and cool on hot days although vibrant orange is perhaps the best colour of choice for one of a "mature" vintage so I am banned from crossing the gates in them
Good going around the lake - being flat may help in keeping the joint aligned and settled

Ceal
mosaics now!! Is it a horizontal or vertical picture?
reminds me we are off to Crete in September - there are some good mosaics there

I missed the heavy rain yesterday in London and instead had humid, fetid overcast condition as I pounded the mean streets. Pleased to get on the train in the evening and head back north.
The Parkrun is held around part of the Stray, the 200 acre area of grass parkland near the centre of town and which is remarkably flat over much of its area

Enjoy your day with Betsy -running may be a good activity with her!!

Thank you for your kind comments - some big if's in there though!!

Went out early this morning to get the London air out of my lungs and found that it was raining lightly with a warm, fresh breeze blowing (it's now a gale!!)
So nice to feel rain on one's skin when it is warm and I moved quite quickly for me for 50 mins with 1 min walk start covering 5.4 miles (9:20m/m) with avHR 132 and a max of 152

9:51  117  131
8:37  127  138
9:12  131  137
8:52  132  138
10:21 142  152  Hipps Hill
3:00  140  142

Couple of 8's crept in there for no noticeable effort
If I take the 1 min walk out of mile 1 that could be another one - desperate or what?

03/08/2016 at 17:19

ceal,
Definitely empty nesters now apart from the one westie. This is the first time in my adult life that I have not had kids around but I do not think I will have any trouble adjusting. Enjoy your grandmother duties.

TS,
I am impressed with your running despite your moans and humble assertions you still seem to find a turn of speed and endurance.

You inspired me to try harder but it had to be indoors due to the heat. With these high temperatures all I do is survive running outside.

My objective today was to run a bit faster without getting my average WHR % too high.

09:14 AM Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Treadmill5k, felt v good, 1% grad.

Run Duration = 29:54,  Run Length = 5.1 Kms or 3.1 Miles

Average Run Pace = 05:55 per Km or 09:31 per Mile, Age grade =  58.3 %

Average Run WHR = 72.1 %,  Max Run WHR = 84.2 %

Average Run Cadence = 89.2, Average stride length = 0.9 m

Lap  Duration   Kms  Miles    Per Km   Per Mile   AWHR   MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)

01     06:29     1.0        0.6      06:29      10:26      56.8%     64.0%      88.0       0.88

02     05:47     1.0        0.6      05:47      09:19      68.3%     73.4%      90.0       0.96

03     05:55     1.0        0.6      05:55      09:31      74.1%     77.7%      90.0       0.94

04     05:35     1.0        0.6      05:35      09:00      78.4%     80.6%      89.0       1.01

05     05:50     1.0        0.6      05:50      09:23      82.0%     84.2%      89.0       0.96

06     00:17     0.1        0.0      05:34      08:57      83.5%     84.2%      88.0       1.02

Pleased with that as I had lots in the tank and could have run much faster but would have red lined.

My endurance seems to have improved significantly. Here is a comparison of my WHR for the same run on a treadmill at the beginning of the year. The pace was very similar.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/276722/gallery/compare_12.jpg?width=350

Red is today's run.

04/08/2016 at 07:32

Ceal: hope you had an enjoyable day with family in Worthing. I hear it was very windy (just by ay of a change!).

TS & Mick: good, solid running. I like the way that Mick was inspired by TS. All motivation is good motivation!

Reading (the town, not the activity undertaken by looking at the printed word)  is less inspiring and an exam board less inspiring still.

But I returned home just in time to go and watch a local cross country event. I hardly ever watch local races as I'm either in them or injured and feeling sorry for myself. But on this occasion I was supporting my training partner and anyway wanted some fresh air.

The thing that I most noticed was the huge difference in the 'quality' (by which I simply mean speed) of the field. The front runner simply sped off into the distance and then simply  increased his lead so that at the finish he was literally out of sight of the rest of the field.  I think I found the reason. Whereas I recognise all the vests of the local club runners his was different and bore the name: 'Scotland'. So I think he might have been a cut above the locals - and a long way from home.

The oldies at the back were equally inspiring - I felt quite ashamed standing there 'injured' as a variety of competitors hobbled, limped and stumbled past me.

There was also a pre-season football match going on. My goodness the footballers - youngish lads - came in all shapes and sizes and many seemed to relish the opportunity for a quite smoke at half-time. I was less inspired by the sight.

So - moral of the story: we can take our inspiration from a number of sources!

04/08/2016 at 11:57

good morning

Mick
I don't moan - just give the readers the facts
The rest is self deprecation - I am stronger, faster, fitter and, as of today 10lb less in weight, but I still have a long way to go on all fronts

You too are showing a great improvement and that graph is a perfect illustration of the improvement. Nice to hear that there was plenty left at the end as well - it is something that I have been consciously trying to maintain - restrained training so that one day's session does not compromise the next day's.

John
....... and some runners look so slow until one realises that they are running as fast, or faster, than one ever could!!
When I wsa watchiung teh local 10K last Sunday a friend went past me and shouted out - "you should be in here" I replied "still injured". He in turn said "B*llocks, I've seen you out running!" before he went round the tight corner I was standing at. Made me feel very guilty!

Another pleasant, warm breezy morning with light rain in places as I broke my normal iron discipline and ran for distance instead of time - ok it was only 1 min 14 sec over my allocated 55 min but it enabled me to do 6 miles - so 9:22m/m pace not pushing it. HRM gave me an avHR of 190 and a max of 266 so I suspect the readings were a bit off!!

9:11
9:14
9:07
9:22
9:30
9:48

Hipps Hill split over the last two miles makes the figures look a lot better with no 10's in sight.
I would guess my avHR was a bit less than yesterday's at 130 as I wasn't pushing it at all - mind, it was far enough when I finished!!

04/08/2016 at 21:41

TS - I'm impressed by your weight loss!
6 miles... So actually you could have done that 10k - but perhaps you're avoiding races for the time being as they might provoke you into pushing yourself too far or too fast?

Knee was feeling fine today, and I ran/walked 3 miles, and it still feels fine. Wasn't quite flat, but no steep hills.

05/08/2016 at 10:38

good morning

Columba
good news about the knee - no reaction to your run/walk. Try and keep on the flatter parts in you can for a while to avoid undue strain on the joint

No I couldn't have raced the 10K then- I went out on the morning of the race and ran 4.2 miles and that was my limit. But 2 weeks on I can nearly do the distance
You are quite right anyway - I wouldn't put myself in a race when I couldn't be  competitive - not with others, but with myself!!

I am still, as John would say, "a big unit". However the muscle/fat ratio is changing for the better

Good programme on last night about Mo Farah - 120-130 miles/week of focused training at his peak - and the coaches trying to get him to dial it back!!

MIck 
I noticed that  your fastest split coincided with your longest stride length. Was that deliberate or did the increase in pace result in over striding?

Another lovely morning here for running.
Took it nice and steady for 50 min and 5.25 miles (9:30m/m) HR monitor played up again after 2 miles 

10:19  117  131
08:54  132  139
09:28
09:28
10:03  nearly got under 10 for Hipps Hill
01:50

That's 3 days of 5 miles/day so quite pleased with the steady effort 

05/08/2016 at 10:50

A beautiful day!

No running for me but a hard little walk up (and down x 5) of a very steep path which zig-zags up the side of a local hill. This is a good little workout but a tad embarrassing when you go past the dog-walkers for the nth time. I get funny looks.

Not sure it's the optimal exercise for someone with a dodgy Achilles but I'll see how it responds.

No Parkrun tomorrow but I'll cycle there to watch.

TS - you are hitting some really consistent training norms. Impressive! 

Locally the train strike grinds on and things will get very bad tomorrow with huge numbers converging on Brighton for the annual 'Pride' event. Predict very bad crowding problems at the station.

Just like policeman are getting younger, I'm beginning to note that the football season starts earlier each year - tomorrow in the case of the Championship.

And of course the Olympics................

05/08/2016 at 10:57

Ceal

thanks for the link about fibromyalgia - I couldn't get it to work but I did google it.

Not sure whether it relates to polymyalgia but I am seeing a consultant next week as my GP is concerned that I am experiencing the levels of pain that I am in 6 months after diagnosis and the start of steroids.

I ran a couple of miles on Tuesday and 2.67 in 28 minutes yesterday - luckily my legs don't hurt at all and the pain in the shoulders is less when I am walking/running 

05/08/2016 at 17:05

TS,
As my pace increases from that shown I do not expect to see much increase in cadence, it will all come from increased stride length. I am not overstriding at 1.01m. A long way to go yet,

The hot and humid weather here is continuing. Snow is beginning to sound like a really attractive alternate. I will never complain about the cold again. As I left on my 4 miler this morning the temperature was 27c with a humidity around 80% but as the sun rose it got a lot worse. I guess I am adjusted to it as I did add a set of strides at the end instead of rushing into the air conditioned gym.

People at the gym keep mentioning mad dogs and Englishmen for some reason.

Mick

06/08/2016 at 20:41

That made me laugh, Mick, as I ran in the middle of the day today and was murmuring "Mad dogs and Englishmen" to myself as I went. In my case it was only in the low 20s, but still I'd have done better to go early. 3.3 miles run/walk, knee niggled but not too much.

06/08/2016 at 21:14

Columba, 

I did just that  today. 7:30 for a easy 10k with the temperature a comfortable 23c. I spent the rest of the morning taking my bonnie to bits to see if I can find out what is upsetting it. Now I have to figure out how to put it back together, never as easy.

MrsMick6 has taken delivery of her new red Mini Cooper S convertible finally so maybe she will let me drive that if I cannot get the bonnie to work.

Now I have to try and figure how why the pool has gone cloudy despite all the chemicals being balanced.

A man's work is never done.

Mick

07/08/2016 at 11:02

good morning

Columba
knee naggles under control continues to sound like good news

MIck
it's when one is left with one nut/bolt/screw left over that the problems really arise
You are right about a man;'s work is never done - mainly because we don't finish it!!

as an early riser, and equally early runner, I appreciate the relative coolth of the morning for running although it was very warm overnight here and in the low 20's C when I went out in blustery, warm wind.

61 min for 6.5 miles (9:23m/m) avHR 227 so I guess my HRM needs anew battery - or more

9:48
8:42
9:15
9:36
9:58  Hipps Hill
9:04
4:43
okish. Best news was the calorie count 1103 calories expended. One of the advantages of heaving my big unit around is that I burn more calories per mile doing it.
Not quite as many as those riders in the Olympics yesterday who were burning 8,000 calories on some intimidating hills. Bit rough on those who cycled for 6 hours only to crash with less than 10K to go.

Frightening swim by Adam Peatty in the 100m breastroke - certainly for his opponents in the final!!

Edited: 07/08/2016 at 11:04
07/08/2016 at 13:35

TS  - I'm also enjoying the Olympics especially the cycling. As someone who tootles up tiny little hills - and then tootles down them not much faster - I thought the road race course was terrifying.

No running for me but I've noticed that I'm not noticing my Achilles (this makes no sense but I just know that everyone on the thread knows what I mean!) when I walk: so it's on the mend. Now the challenge is not to run on it for another week or so and I've got to the point where I'm going to listen to my body.

However, I've put in a couple of decent bikes rides over past couple of days.

07/08/2016 at 16:53

WD60, good luck with your consultant appointment and getting to the bottom of your problem.

John, yes, stay strong and rest....you know it makes sense.

TS, steady progress from you again and good calories burned. One problem I don't have of course....

Mick, thanks for the tip. I knew about copy and paste of course but hadn't come across Ctrl + A. I'm always impressed by the way you tackle jobs yourself rather than paying someone to take away the hassle. You certainly have a climate which on the whole doesn't make running easy. Very unusually it was 29 degrees here in Newcastle three weeks ago. I did my usual 5.4 mile route. It felt twice that and I had to keep stopping to recover. 

I did another park run yesterday, the undulating one in Gateshead. Just can't break that 23 minute barrier yet and I finished in 23:06. Enjoyed it though.

Then this morning I ran 10.4 miles on one of my regular training routes. The first time since February that I've run more than 8 miles. It showed and the pace was very slow. Just pleased to do it though and miles in my legs is what's needed.

Edited: 07/08/2016 at 16:54
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.