Over 60s training.

141 to 160 of 133,871 messages
24/03/2003 at 09:10
Not much to say about the 1/2m. It went very well right from the start which is always a relief. It's a flat course so you can get into a nice rhythm that doesn't get broken up by ups and downs. The discomfort came from the heat and a skinned toe, not from the leg muscles. Also ran quite a long distance in company with 3 very attractive young ladies so I couldn't let myself down by dropping back! Ridiculous at my age! Incidently, my time was a pb by 7 secs! Half a second a mile faster!
JJ
JJ
24/03/2003 at 09:12
One more post. My time converts to an age weighted 1-27-30. Have you come across these age weighting tables?
More at a later stage.
JJ
24/03/2003 at 09:46
JJ It was enjoyable at the time, just afterwards that it wasn't.

Keep chasing the young ladies, I say! At least it wasn't half a second slower!

I have no idea what age weighted tables are. But 1-27 sounds extremely impressive. Tell me more, I like the sound of them.
24/03/2003 at 15:42
Ceal
They are a method by which you can recaculate your time so as to show what you would have done in your peak years between 18 and 24.
www.nationalmastersnews.com will sell you a copy but I feel sure we can work something out. You can e-mail me a fax number and I'll send you an abbreviated table or just post your age and I'll post the relevant multiples.
JJ
24/03/2003 at 16:57
JJ age 62yrs 63 in June. Fax no. 01604 402221 This fax number will be disabled sometime tomorrow evening, when we are having broadband installed. to save some funds we are getting rid of our second phone line, which is used for fax mainly.

Thanks Johnny.
24/03/2003 at 20:22
Ceal.
I've only just picked up your message. The relevant docs. are at work . I will fax you from the office tomorrow a.m.

Erratum. For 24 read 34.
25/03/2003 at 10:00
JJ
You just caught me with the fax as I was going out of the door for my recovery run. So I have delayed to take a look. I received a one page fax, is that correct, only you spoke of conversion tables, plural.
Have I done this right? I have just converted my half time of 1:53 to that of 1:27, which sounds stunning. Pity I did not run when i was aged 20 and thereabouts. Too busy having a good time! although I have not looked to see what time youngsters are doing at that distance. club runners I mean.

However, this does not halt the challenge to become a fast successful mature runner.
25/03/2003 at 10:00
I forgot to say thankyou. JJ
25/03/2003 at 13:39
Ceal.
Yes, you have it all - one small table. There are full and complex tables available from the website if you want them.

1hr 53 = 113mins x .7842 = 88.61mins =
1hr 28mins 36secs. Fast lady!

It is ,of course, only a statistical average based on thousands of US race results and is therefore a guide only. However, it has some basis in fact and shows roughly what level you would have been. It's certainly a bit of a morale booster.
JJ
25/03/2003 at 13:58
Ceal. Yet more.
I know one top club athlete (female) who did 1-23 for a 1/2m on Sunday. she was runner-up in the ladies' race. Top internationals run 5 - 10 mins. faster. e.g. first lady in the Hastings 1/2m was a Kenyan in 72mins.
Incidently, my best 1/2m, on Sunday, converts to 1hr.27-31 which is way off top class club men who would do 65 -70mins.
Not that it bothers me. I'm competitive at over-60 and that's the real world.
JJ
26/03/2003 at 18:59
Hi everybody.
I survived the 30k (Yes, L.I. that's 18.67M). Averaged just under 8.5 m.m. (2hrs 38mins) which was faster than my target - so the Cornish cliff have not claimed me and I am still on course for the FLM!
Hey Ceal, I like this business of tapering. I think I will give up running and take up tapering - sounds a lot less energetic. And you 47 miles sounds far to energetic. Don't overdo it, please - just remmber your age.
And JJ, I also like the sound of age-weighted tables. I presume they mean that you can have a better time without actually running any faster. Do I assume that, at 62, I simple multiply my Half M time by a factor of .7842? Does that apply to all distances? And am I only .7842 of my former self in all other departments as well?

Speak to you all soon. Keep running
26/03/2003 at 19:01
Hey, lots of typographical errors (or spelling mistakes) Sorry.
26/03/2003 at 23:50
P.
If you can e-mail me or post a fax number on here I'll send a copy of the table.
Excellent running by the way. I'm surrounded by fast ladies.
JJ
26/03/2003 at 23:53
P Sorry. i didn't answer your question. No, the .7842 applies only to 1/2 marathons for women 60 - 64.
JJ
27/03/2003 at 08:35
Hi Pussy, well done. I am glad that I do not have to carry out my plans to send dout your sheep in search of you in the cornish hills. In fact more than well done, you must be very encouraged by the time you did. How did you feel afterwards?

How does one run a marathon. I presume from what I have heard that one cannot get up to pace for a few miles because of the sheer numbers of people. therefore how does one keep a constant planned pace. Also how do you make up any time lost at the beginning of the race. Or what? That question is for Johnny as well.
27/03/2003 at 08:43
As for myself this week, I did a 6 mile recovery run on tuesday, just kept it fairly steady/slow. thoroughly enjoyable in the wonderful weather we are having. Yesterday I went to the gym and trained on the treadmill. After 10 minutes warm up I ran 8k in 40 minutes, so felt quite pleased with that. Including the cool down I ran 10k. Today is Pilates and tomorrow the low gradient hill running at the gym. All fairly mundane stuff. Am trying this week to give legs a rest from the pounding of tarmac. Sunday will be messed up, Mothers Day, so no 16 miles this week. Mon Tue Wed no running as looking after my beautiful grand daughters.
27/03/2003 at 08:43
Lincoln Imp where are you this week? what are you up to? OK I hope?
27/03/2003 at 10:59
Morning Ceal.
It's actually not quite as bad as you think, unless you are going for a really fast time. The first thing to remember is to try and ignore the grouping of starters into projected race times. Line up early and get as near to the front as is sensible without being obvious. I know this is wrong but it is done so that slow runners don't hold up faster runners and I am sure that I've never done that. The other point is that the congestion forces you to start much more sensibly than otherwise you might. It's so easy to get carried away and start too fast. The marathon is so long that you are going to slow down at some stage. If you are forced to take it easy at the start you get the time back by being able to press on for a lot longer.
I hope that all makes sense.
JJ
27/03/2003 at 13:22
JJ thanks, yes that does make some sense. Another question, my blood sugar levels drop really easily, do you eat anything on the way along. I have tried the gels, twice, I guess I need to give them another go. I did not like the taste of them, I did not like the texture of them and finally I did not like the stickieness of them, ie I got the stuff all over my fingers and else where. In one word UCK. Over to you.
27/03/2003 at 13:23
Want to see a piccie of me?
www.asiorders.com.
hastings half
bib no.1163
enlarge.
I'm not elbowing that chap in the stomach. I'm about to fall over.
JJ
141 to 160 of 133,871 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.