Over 60s training.

1 to 20 of 134,186 messages
29/01/2003 at 14:38
LISTEN EVERYONE.
I want to be a very fast runner in the Over 60 age group. I would dearly like to make contact with anyone over 60 who runs substantially faster tahn my times posted below:

10k 47.25
10m 1hr. 21mins.
1/2m 1hr. 47mins.
If there's anyone out there that you know fits the description please ask them to contact this thread (or find me on the Mature Runners thread under General) so that we can compare notes.
Thanks in advance.
JJ
29/01/2003 at 14:46
My average training at the moment with FLM in mind is.

Sun. 13 - 15 miles
Mon. Rest
Tues. 6 - 7 miles steady.
Wed. 5 - 6 miles with very fast bits.
Thurs 3 miles recovery run
Fri. 10 miles steady
Sat. Rest
If I run any more than this I start suffering tiredness and the inevitable aches and pains begin.
JJ

29/01/2003 at 18:54
Do I gather that there are no Over 60s with a pc?
JJ
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
29/01/2003 at 18:58
Sorry JJ, I'm not there yet! And my times aren't any better than yours anyway
29/01/2003 at 18:59
I'm not over 60 but I would be thrilled to be able to do you times. Good luck and do you enter and win many vet championships?

Hope you find someone over 60 to compare notes with, I regularly meet a runner who is over 60 in my area and he is very knowledgeable and always get lots of good advice and encouragement from him. I think he is slower than you though.
29/01/2003 at 19:18
Jane M
Thanks for your interest. No I don't win any championships. That's why I need to speak to one or two over 60s who do.
JJ
30/01/2003 at 00:52
And you already know about me,JJ.
If I get to know of anybody else +60 will let thee know.

With your times there won't be many on rw threads who are faster than you I would imagine.
Brian.
30/01/2003 at 08:30
I'm very flattered by the votes of confidence - thanks.

But......the last 10 miler I ran there were 2 over 60s substantially faster than me. One of the miserable whippets was a full 6 minutes faster! I was too knackered to go and find him and in any case he'd probably gone for a training run.

Thanks again. Keep looking.
JJ
30/01/2003 at 08:32
JJ.Im not quite 60 well not untill march any way,I did the dartford 10 in 1 17 42,and tewkesbury half in 1 39 15,and my training is very similar to yours,but I do include quite a bit of hill work due to the fact that I live in a hilly part of s.e.london.
30/01/2003 at 09:49
JJ

I know you live somewhere on the south coast or thereabouts so why don't you:

1) Examine the Sussex GP website to find which clubs did best in the Over 60's categories
2) Go along to the club nearest you and remind any fellow oldies that your rugby playing past might intervene with their running future if they don't let on.

www.sussexgp.co.uk
30/01/2003 at 11:40
Superv. Them's good times.
Can you expand on the 'quite a bit' of hill work please? I live in a very hilly area as well.

sfhlegs. I like No.1. will follow that up. Like No 2 even better.

I keep getting little clues that it's speed training that's more important than straight mileage but then what's the risk of breakdown in older age from overwork?
JJ
30/01/2003 at 19:11
JJ
After your info about despite starting serious running late in life and still being able to improve race times I would like to add my interest for other over 60s to join this thread.

Its rather fascinating to find that one can speed up in time even when "old". Different for veterans who have been running for years and years as they no doubt suffer the disappointment of relative slowness. What I'm trying to say is has anyone else started late in life and able to substantially improve on their race times?
There must be more out there to answer this judging by the number of "oldies" entering races in 10ks or 26milers.
30/01/2003 at 19:40
Well done Brian. Keep pushing the message. I still think a lot of the trouble is that most over 60s have less access to a pc than the young ones ( that'll get 'em going).
Perhaps we should ask the youngsters to grab a granny or grandad and sit her him in front of this thread.
JJ
30/01/2003 at 23:29
JJ - I'm not yet 60, but when I am I'll be spending more time on the track than on the keyboard!
30/01/2003 at 23:31
You all run a bloody sight faster than me, and im 37
Keep it up and well done!
31/01/2003 at 00:25
JJ- To affirm what you say I often wonder if there are a very few over 60s runners have access or even are PC-orientated. That would then explain the dearth of older members having owt to do with rw threads!
31/01/2003 at 00:28
Just got the latest RW in the post this morning(on 30th!) and pleased to see useful articles allied to older runners. Generally this edition seems to be the best out for some time.
31/01/2003 at 08:07
JJ Im up for grabbing a grany,but not to sit in front of this thread,me thinks.
31/01/2003 at 18:19
Sorry guys, been out all day.

Lincoln Imp. The new RW has a lot of good stuff this month. A whole year's useful info. in one go. What'll they do next month? 65 pages of a Lycra-clad Sean Fishpond moderating in front of a pc.

Superv.
Find a granny with a lot of daughters. Could be more fun.

Went training this morning and felt worse than at any time in the past year. I've either upped the FLM training too much or I'm sickening for something.
Will await tomorrow with interest.
JJ
31/01/2003 at 21:49
There, it's that spotty tie JJ! I told you it was diseased, but I could tell you weren't taking me seriously. Tut, tut!

(No sneezing, now.)

p.s. hope you feel better tomorrow.
1 to 20 of 134,186 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.