Over training?

3 messages
15/05/2011 at 11:11
I'm doing my second 10K at beginning of june (i did my first last october at age 52 and ended up with achilles tendonitis so had 3 month off after that!!), since new year been getting back into it and now with 3 weeks to go I've just completed week 9 of a 12 week programme.

I did the first one in 60 mins & 19 secs, would love to get under the hour (or even a bit better this time)

Trouble is whenever I'm training (3 days per week plus a game of tennis) my legs feel so heavy and whilst I get through my session and seem to be averaging about 6 min / Km I wonder if I'm over doing it. The training plan peaks this week before dropping for the last two weeks.

My question is will I lose too much condition by having three relatively easy weeks or should I just slow down a bit?
cougie    pirate
15/05/2011 at 11:22
Your training is at the pace you want to race at ? So how many miles is each session ?
Seems to me that you're doing races all week in training - so obviously you will get tired. I'd slow down two of your runs and then throw in some speedwork on just one session.

A few easy weeks sounds justbwhat you need. You will do better if you have fresh legs - that's what you need most.
15/05/2011 at 12:00
Cheers, That's what I was thinking. for some reason I seem to struggle to run at a slower pace, almost feels that I have only one pace.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.