Overdone it?

461 to 480 of 7,721 messages
23/07/2013 at 16:39

i'd say lay down 6months with no hint of an injury before you even think about one. And even then after you've had a  few years of draining your potential at other times.

23/07/2013 at 16:43

Good goals Skinny.

I would love to do a GFA time (3:15 I think) and I believe its possible for me to achieve with good training and luck, as is a sub 1:30 half. However, as nice as it would be, a sub 40 10k and sub 20 5k feel too far out of my comfort zone and I know I would probably get injured trying to achieve them.

I learnt from the postings of dear old Tom Chinery

23/07/2013 at 16:45

AGREE (Coach)

Enough of this silly talk. The 'plan' stretches to mid November THIS YEAR.

Fast 10k 4th September

Local HM 6th October

Local and fast 10 miler mid November.

Then review.

Edited: 23/07/2013 at 16:46
23/07/2013 at 17:05

Richard, surely sub 20 5k should be pretty manageable for someone who could do a sub 1:30 half? Or at least not a million miles away from their comfort zone.

23/07/2013 at 17:26

Hmm - interestingly the RW Race Pace Calculator gives a 19:34 from a 1:30 HM so think Lit is right. Of course the calculators are always based on you having done the correct training for the distance and you may be right (as was my downfall) that the shorter reps may lead to injury.

23/07/2013 at 17:28

I was just thinking would definitely be easier than sub 40 10k.

24/07/2013 at 12:24
literatin wrote (see)

Richard, surely sub 20 5k should be pretty manageable for someone who could do a sub 1:30 half? Or at least not a million miles away from their comfort zone.

I have kept away from the faster interval stuff and concentrated on longer reps and tempo stuff. The shorter reps (12 x 400m or 10 x 600m for e.g.) always leave me crippled for days afterwards and then I miss out on running for 2 - 3 days. I know I should do some, at a lower intensity perhaps.

24/07/2013 at 13:37

Richard - Not sure it's essential to go as low as 400m / 600m reps for a sub-20 5k. I've got within striking distance of it (42yo - started running Nov '12) off the back of a mixture of quality runs that have only consisted of tempos and longer intervals - Mile, 1k and 800m - only 3 sessions of the 800s so far in fact. I recorded 19:25 in a 3 Mile MT race last month, so very hopeful of dipping under 20:00 at my next 5k - Friday night as it happens.

I did finally have a crack at 400m reps on Sunday as I'm lining up a track 3000m, but any training benefit of those obviously won't be realised in time for Friday's 5k.

P.S. Been meaning to pop by with a well done on the 10k PB, Skinny. Clearly not a true reflection of where you'd be at full fitness at this stage, but a good stepping stone back to that point. Hope the groin continues to hold up.

WJH
24/07/2013 at 13:55

Same goes from me too...well done on the recent 10k Skinny - looks like you haven't lost as much fitnes as you feared! Things look promising for the coming months as long as you can stay clear of injury! PS - a sub 3 hour marathon is also a very long term target of mine...although accept that in reality with my ability level that it may never happen! However, having such long term ambitions is what keeps many of us going! 

WJH
24/07/2013 at 16:03

Thanks Bob and WJH

Yep the possible but unlikely long term goals is what its all about - but you need the short term achievable stepping stone goals too or it would just be too far away (or settle for the feel good factor that running gives you but I'm a little too competitive still to accept that as my sole reason for getting up at 6am)!

24/07/2013 at 17:32

Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)

literatin wrote (see)

I have kept away from the faster interval stuff and concentrated on longer reps and tempo stuff. The shorter reps (12 x 400m or 10 x 600m for e.g.) always leave me crippled for days afterwards and then I miss out on running for 2 - 3 days. I know I should do some, at a lower intensity perhaps.

Richard, it depends the intensity/pace you're doing them at. If you do them flat out, I'm not surprised they leave you monstered, If you do them at 3k/5k pace, they might come out better.

Edited: 24/07/2013 at 17:33
25/07/2013 at 14:19

Stevie - I thought I was doing them at my 3/5k pace, so it maybe that my pacing is all to pot! However, the pacing was based on a 3k time trial at the club. (12:10 in total - so 6:30 pace.

I manage the session okay although the last couple of reps are always a mental struggle. Its the days after that I feel monstered and even recovery runs are a real challenge.

I did a 5 mile 'tempo' session last night split into 8 x 1k intervals at an average of 4:15 per k and 60 seconds rest. Head felt in right place throughout and legs feel ready to go today for a brief easy run, and yet the session was longer and the pace 20 seconds slower than 3/5k pace (plus the heat/humidity impact).

26/07/2013 at 06:26
Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)

literatin wrote (see)

If you struggle with it the reduce the volume rather than the intensity. 400 intervals are intended to improve vo2 max  and technique. You need to maintain the intensity to get the training benefit.

29/07/2013 at 08:54

Last week 35 miles total including one quality run 2M WU, 1M Steady, 6M MP, 1M WD.

6 miles in 6:45,6:47,6:51, 6:48, 6:46, 6:52 (pace zone 6:50 - 6:55) so I would seem to have recovered my pace.

In fact the 10 mile total run beat my 10 mile PB which is well out of date.

10 weeks till HM and coach now setting the weeks out again.

Cheers, Skinny

01/08/2013 at 07:21

8 miles running and 36 miles on the bike last week for me. The calf is improving but still not quite right.  

Interclub 10k tonight, which I'll run at an easy pace to get a few points (and free food). 

01/08/2013 at 07:23

I 've also increased the frequency of my strenght training sessions to about 3 per week.

Getting Hench for my holidays.

02/08/2013 at 10:01

Hi Lou - was off work yesterday so no time to post on here!

Went raspberry picking so I hope raspberries are good for running coz currently wading through 4 tubs of them

Hope the 10k went okay. How was the 8 miles split? I find when I'm injured the idea of going out for 2 miles just doesn't warrant getting my kit on so tend to do nothing or 3 to 5; but probably better doing less and more often.

We are going on a family holiday to a cottage in Lytham for a few days at end of August/start of September and my daughter's boyfriend is coming with us. He's very hench - I'm not; did toy with the idea of trying to do some weights for a month so that if it was hot I wouldn't look so puny when we both stripped off but couldn't be arsed! I'll just challenge him to a 5 mile 'sprint' along the beach and that will reassert my position as dominant male of the pack! 

02/08/2013 at 10:21
Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

He's very hench - I'm not; did toy with the idea of trying to do some weights for a month so that if it was hot I wouldn't look so puny when we both stripped off but couldn't be arsed! 

That's just not good enough, Skinny. You could have done half of Insanity in that time!

02/08/2013 at 10:26

Yeah but I'd have been gutted if it had p*ssed it down for four days. At least this way we will either get hot weather or I get to be pleased I didn't waste a month of effort trying to be hench.

02/08/2013 at 10:42

Lou's been doing strength training sessions. Bet he's getting pretty hench.

(actually Lou, your post made me feel guilty and I had to go and do some pull-ups)

Edited: 02/08/2013 at 10:44
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.