Overdone it?

4,861 to 4,880 of 6,022 messages
07/03/2014 at 13:30
Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)

Pete - yes, you did read correctly!  Not entirely convinced of my sanity but I did an ultra plus track plus 10k within 4 days of each other last year. The whole aim is to run on tired legs and mimic that mental distress in the last 6 miles of a marathon. 

This is the overdone thread and I hope to still be the right side of it on Monday!

One of my main aims in life is to avoid anything resembling the mental/physical distress after 20 miles in a marathon .  Whatever turns you on, though!

All that I can remember of lit's finishing video, is that she looked fast

07/03/2014 at 13:33
PeteHew wrote (see)

All that I can remember of lit's finishing video, is that she looked fast

Not forgetting fit

07/03/2014 at 13:34

Indeed not .

07/03/2014 at 13:57

Thanks for the table updates, Skinny. Good to hear you've got plans afoot to get you toeing the line at Wilmslow too.

Had lots of comments on last night's club run - not surprising as we were running through the city centre...pretty sure none of them were complimentary either.

Lit - Nice list of honours, but more impressive is having said you were knocking on the door of the top 1500 female runners in the country, have you seen the latest RB updates? A combination of your HM, plus a tweak to the calculations (my ranking has leapt too) means that you've leapfrogged 500 others, and are now knocking on the door of the top 1000! That's just showing off. And you do have a very high cadence - very noticeable on that vid. Increase your stride length whilst keeping the same cadence and you'd be very fast indeed. Wonder what would help with that? Bit of middle-distance training and racing perhaps...has anyone ever suggested that to you before? 

Tommy - James Blunt - loving that!  I did actually 'laugh out loud' - I refuse to use the acronym. I found a pic of you from last Sunday's 10k - can I post it?

Thanks, Richard. I am indeed still chuffed, and now have my Sweatshop vouchers*. Enjoy your weekend - sounds bonkers to me, but will be a great feeling at the end of it providing you pull through in on piece! And yes, apply to Nottingham. Come and enjoy the happy throng in the Queen of the East Midlands. Then Lit and I can fight over you as well as Tommy for your prospective club membership.

* Which Lit isn't having.

Good luck to the racers - Lit at the Inter Counties (still grumpy it's not being televised) and at Ashby on Sunday (don't race that!), Mace at Lydd and Richard with his double-header.

I've been trying to resist the temptation of going out and having a bash at a parkrun all week, as I had several PB/strong performances in shorter distances immediately off the back of 10k races last year. The forecast of a breezy morning is helping with that, so will probably take the opportunity of a lie in, and then headout for another LT session late morning instead. Will fit a race of some description in next week instead. Should be the Midland 12 Stage Relays, but not sure how the team is coming together for that, so have a fall back plan of either a simple parkrun, or more preferably a tear up over 800m at Saffron Lane if they'll accept a late entry.

07/03/2014 at 14:09
Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)
muddyfunster wrote (see)

I do when I am teaching the little funster how to play Poker.

Poker school for me tonight until the wee small hours accompanied by pizzas, Guinness and red wine. Tomorrow could be a long day!

I don't actually play poker very well but I want the little funster to make best use of his child trust fund when he turns 18.

07/03/2014 at 14:22

I have heard that artificially increasing your stride length is a bad idea. Probably what would help though is even more pilates and stretching, as my hip flexors are very tight.

07/03/2014 at 14:59

Absolutely. Not suggesting it's something that you should attempt artificially as you'll just over-stride.

Anything which improves your range of movement will improve it naturally however. Pilates and stretching will certainly help, and I'm sure I'm benefiting from both the former, and more recently something rather more diligent in my approach to the latter. Controlled, relaxed, fast paced running will also have the same effect. We all feel looser after a set of strides, no? QED.

07/03/2014 at 15:10

Go for 800m Bob. I did a 2:50 800m on Tuesday as a penultimate between 1,200, 800, 400, 400, 800, 1,200 track session. Averaged 1:28 for each 400m segment overall across all reps. 

This marathon lark is so much more difficult to train for!

Not only does Nottingham appeal job wise but my football team reside there as well plus it's an hour from home town on train.  

07/03/2014 at 15:44

Forgot you were a dirty Red. I've changed my mind, we don't need any more of your sort round here.  

I jest.

And bloody hell, good session. More evidence that there's still something under the bonnet there from your yoof' once you stop killing yourself with marathons!

07/03/2014 at 16:21

Bob. - Ha. Hopefully a soon to be premier league supporting dirty red! A play-off match against Derby will be a nice way to do it too. I take it County is your choice of weekend agony? 

Those sessions are hard work but the pain is short -lived. injury risk is higher but it's satisfying knowing can do a session like that (with 10k warm-up) and 2 mile warm down. 

In the yoof, used to jog 400 m in 1:28!! 

07/03/2014 at 16:37

I think there are a lot of people running in races this weekend but only two possible people racing.

So good luck to Lit representing her adopted county in the XC* and also perhaps to Mace 'old-fat-boying' my HM time on Sunday.

To you other racers just doing it for the fun and the challenge hope you enjoy it and the weather is good.

Everybody else enjoy your weekend and hope your running is injury free.

*Lit - I think the inter counties is worthy of a brief race report just to let the rest of us know what it's like

07/03/2014 at 16:39

Yes, a long suffering Magpie.  Toss up between 90 minutes of sheer hell - (c) John Barnes, 1990 - and the 6 Nations from my sofa tomorrow afternoon. £23 and probable misery, or a fiver on beer and likely a very enjoyable afternoon indeed, Meadow Lane is not winning the argument as we stand.

Which is your home town BTW? If you had mentioned it previously, I've long since forgotten

And what were your recoveries on that session? You might well have jogged 400 in that pace in your younger days but it's still just short of 5k of volume, at 18:20 5k pace. I remain puzzled how you didn't break 20 minutes when you had a crack at parkrun last year!

07/03/2014 at 16:46

Bob - Bedford is the home town. Paula Radcliffe was a member of Bedford and County at the same time and look what she went on to achieve! If only women and beer didn't rear their ugly heads (metaphorically) at 16-17...

Recoveries - 2 minutes jog. It's ok running at that pace for 4 minutes but after that I was feeling heavy legged.  I think also mentally I struggle with running at sustained pace for any longer than necessary ie 5 minutes. 

Enjoy the Rugby. 

07/03/2014 at 17:00
Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)

Enjoy the Rugby. 

Ha!  

Aye, does sound like a psychological thing as much as anything, then. You need to find the other gears between steady and flat out! I'm sure they'd be there. Sure, you'll need some specific speed endurance work to really fine tune it, but sub-20 has to be within your capabilities at current fitness.

Bedford rings a bell actually, perhaps you did mention it before. I used to do quite a lot of work there for a client a few years ago. The town got quite a bad rap from the locals, but I actually quite liked it. Nice anecdote too - wish I'd got a marvellous talent I'd let get away that I could blame on beer and women. I think I turned to the beer because the women weren't interested and there was nothing else to do!

07/03/2014 at 17:20

Yep just to reiterate good luck to Lit and Richard, both doubling up this weekend, and trying to run more in a weekend than I do in 3 weeks  Good luck to Mace too, sensibly racing a half marathon on the right weekend this time. As ever, I am not worthy.

Everyone else, enjoy the blue skies.

07/03/2014 at 17:28

Bob - Thought you'd like the van man story. It's not the first time I've been called that, the last time was on the tram a couple of years ago on a Saturday night from a bloke who'd obviously had at least one over the eight who kept asking me to sing him a song! I've not seen the photo, I can't imagine it's very flattering?! But yeah post it, then everyone can see how much I don't look like James Blunt. Have fun down mardy lane tomorrow if you go, I have the joys of watching stags Vs Newport. I bet you have a blast at a parkrun...

Richard - Good luck with the back-to-back races, with a fair old drive in the middle. Also, good luck with the job hunt, sure you'd like it in Nottingham if you did move here, as you Florist fans sing 'Oh Nottingham is full of fun...' Edinburgh target is TBC, Daniels/McMillan suggest 1:31--1:32 off my most recent times but will see how the next 11 weeks of training goes. Sure we'll be around a similar time to one another, will be good to run together. One of my colleagues from the Edinburgh office is also running it and he's a similar sort of pace, so could be a decent group of us.

Mace - Good luck for the HM, don't be shit! Are you sure it's this weekend ?

Lit - Hope it goes well representing Notts, is it a lovely green vest? Enjoy Ashby-de-la-Zouch, if possible.

Pete - yep all the best places for me ! Ellesmere Port next week, can hardly wait. Then maybe back to the desert if they sort things out.

Skinny - sounding more promising regarding to Wilmslow, as SG says, you always seem to pull something out of the back even with sub-optimal training.   

Lou/Funster/Chris - Enjoy training!

07/03/2014 at 17:30

p.s. good luck keeping your house in tonights poker session too Skinny

07/03/2014 at 19:35

Bob - This any interest to you?

http://www.107derbyscouts.org.uk/V100/wri2014.php

I reckon it will be flat, might be affected by the wind, just down the road from Wilne. I'd be tempted but I'm out doing a massive walk in the peak district on Sunday (and eating a big roast dinner).  

07/03/2014 at 21:29

Richard - training must be going well if you have to go to such an effort to mimic distress on a long run. I'm feeling a bit more sanguine about Brighton. Disappointed that training hasn't gone according to plan, but managing to get a few miles in. No idea what pace I'll aim for on the day though.

Tommy/James - you're beautiful. 

Good luck racers, poker players and everyone else.

08/03/2014 at 12:46
Hope the racers have more luck than the poker players!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.