Overdone it?

5,001 to 5,020 of 8,939 messages
11/03/2014 at 15:51
Inverted pyramid session with the club at the track tonight apparently. Will be a new
one for me. Ready for it, feeling sluggish. Rest days don't agree with me nowadays, and I've not run now since Sunday AM.

What's your session, Tommy? Can you not pre program into your watch?
11/03/2014 at 16:08
Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Post 5000

EDIT: Oh shit someone got there first!

ME ???

Medal ?

11/03/2014 at 16:17

- no chance!

Particularly now you have possession of my favourite gold cell.

Wonder if Muddy will be the next one to join the stampede over my HM time?

11/03/2014 at 16:25

Bob - Can't remember exactly - my book is at home, it involves a couple of sets of 2 miles at threshold followed by a combination of 200m and 400 reps with similar jog recoveries I think. Don't think my watch can program differing length reps and/or recoveries, not 100% sure though .

Inverted pyramids sound interesting, enjoy!

11/03/2014 at 16:41

Spoil sport

What watch have you got, Tommy ?

11/03/2014 at 16:51

It's a Garmin forerunner 210.

11/03/2014 at 17:01

hmm, i have the 305 which can take intervals and recoveries of varying times/distances. And i thought the only difference to the 210 was that it comes with an HR monitor but i may have that wrong ?

11/03/2014 at 17:13
Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Wonder if Muddy will be the next one to join the stampede over my HM time?

I am shooting for 1:27:00 Skinny -  6:38 min/mile pace, which at the moment feels  on the ambitious side. However that is what McMillan predicts from my 5k time of a couple of weeks ago. I suppose there is a some possibility of overshoot on that pace but equally could swing the other way a bit depending on the conditions. 

11/03/2014 at 17:55
literatin wrote (see)

True fact (allegedly): my friend used to live next door to Ron Hill.

mace wrote (see)

If Ron Hill was in a race i was entered in i'd wear all my Ron hill clobber and run with him. I wouldn't be able to resist and would bore the tits off him all race.

Pete - your action looks pretty damn cool and efficient to me.

Dr Ron used to represent Bolton United Harriers so was a big boyhood hero of mine.  I have a lot of his running gear and was wearing RONHILLTM* shorts for the race. Sadly, it was too warm for my RONHILLTM* bbh and my yellow and lime green shirts just aren't as fast as my non-RONHILLTM* orange one.  Thanks, mace.  I just need to become cool, efficient and fast!

* Other brands of running equipment are available.

Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

The true motivation behind his fabulous time all of a sudden becomes clear.

Yes indeed

Edited: 11/03/2014 at 18:04
11/03/2014 at 18:32
Yowser, Tommy. Tough sounding session. Are the 200s and 400s at recovery pace?! They would be for me! Perhaps I'm getting soft as I get a bit more running under my belt, and off the back of my comparatively low intensity winter, but I don't think I'd even attempt that.

Is it a Daniels session? Interested to hear the thinking behind it too if it's explained.

I guess you've got a more extensive endurance base than me, but I was good for nothing more than the jog home after my 2x2 miles at threshold on Saturday.
11/03/2014 at 22:15
Tommy - Probably too late now but I think you can only program that sort of thing via the training centre software on the 210. That's assuming the bloody thing will connect to the computer. But let's not go there again !

2 x 1.2 @ tempo with 2 mins recovery + 3 x 0.75 @ 5k with 90 seconds recovery for me tonight, with the obligatory WU and CD, during our club session. Felt very fast averaging 6:20 ish pace and all under control unlike the last time I did this session.
12/03/2014 at 00:07

Good session, Muddy.

Our inverted pyramid session was also good, but I think I've forsaken any right to question anyone else's sessions for a while. I remember now how easy it is to get sucked into these things in company:

• 4 x 2 mins off 45 seconds.
  • 1:30
  • 3 x 1 min off 20 seconds
  • 1:00
  • 2 x 30 secs, jog back
  • 1:00
  • 3 x 1 min off 20 seconds
  • 1:30
  • 4 x 2 mins off 45 seconds

And breathe. Garmin Connect has gone mental so it's hard to know precisely, but essentially was 23 mins of hard running with 13 mins of recovery and over 4 miles of volume at comfortably inside notional 3k pace - averaged around 5:45 by the look of it. Did enjoy it though, great to be on the track again and felt relatively comfortable throughout - particularly in comparison to one or two of the others!

Guess my legs will tell me in the morning whether that was actually inside 3k pace or not - they'll be trashed if so! (And I'll have screwed any hope of running well in Brum on Sunday.  )

Edited: 12/03/2014 at 00:07
12/03/2014 at 07:49
Good stuff Bob and muddy.

I was supposed to do 11 w 5x1200 @ 5k today but binned that thinking it more than a bit risky and did 11 w 5@MP instead.
12/03/2014 at 08:11

That sounds fast Bob, I'm sure all the xc will have toughened you up and you'll be right as rain for Sunday. Whereabouts in Birmingham is it ?

Mace  - is that 11 first then trying to hit 5k pace ? Or including those reps in the middle section of the 11 ? In either case... flippin'eck.

12/03/2014 at 08:23
muddy - 11 total including wu reps/recoveries cd
12/03/2014 at 08:25
I may do it Saturday if I don't race a 10k
12/03/2014 at 08:51

Looks like some good sessions Bob, Funster and Mace.

Mace - I think you did right to avoid doing reps yesterday after a hard HM effort on Sunday.

Muddy - I've never used that training centre software, just had a quick play on it and seems like I might be able to program something like that in. Cheers. 

Bob - Good work, I think I'd need that on a bit of paper if I was going to do that one! How are the legs?

Bob -Yes it's a Daniels session, fresh out of the 3rd edition which includes a half marathon training plan for the first time. However , I got mixed up, the session didn't involve any threshold work  followed by reps, that's next week (or later this week if you're doing 3 quality sessions a week, which I'm not. Long run is classed as a Q session so I'm doing 2 Q sessions per week). It turned out to be 4 sets of 200 R (200 jog) + 200 R (400 jog) + 400 R (200 jog). Each set is 800m of quality and the number of sets you do is based on your weekly mileage. R pace is determined by current VDOT. Doesn't explain the rationale behind the combined session particularly just that he's developed a plan combing elements of a 10K plan (the R work) and a marathon training plan (the threshold work).

Managed to find an almost perfect place to do these sort of reps, the park about a mile away from my house, has a pretty flat loop on tarmac, which is ~420m long. The trace of my garmin looks like I've been running round a track. I've lived here for 3 years or so and always thought the park was just football pitches at one end and a kids playground plus a skate park at the other, but this loop sits between the two. Only problem is, it's a popular place for people to take their dogs after work so had a couple of close encounters, which meant a couple of the reps were off target a bit but never mind.

12/03/2014 at 09:39

Mace - Agree with Tommy - sounds sensible to have subbed the 5k pace reps for 5@MP today given Sunday's exertions. Nicely done. Which 10k are you looking at?

Sutton Park is the venue for the relays on Sunday, Muddy. Kicks off at 12pm - 8 x 3 mile legs and 5 x 5.4 mile legs I understand, so quite a long afternoon with 46 miles to be covered in total! Not sure what I'll be running yet. Hoping for a single 3 mile leg to have a proper blast, but we're potentially one or two short of a full team, so a couple of us may need to double up, or I might get shunted on to one of the longer legs. Told the skipper what my preference was, but said I was happy to do whatever within reason to make things easier for him.

Tommy - Aye, fortunately somebody did have our session written down! The club organises these sessions by having someone who is not running that week both devise and lead them. Works well.

Your session looks a bit more manageable than as first described! Sounds like you've stumbled on a nice loop there, daft mutt interference notwithstanding!

Legs feel surprisingly ok this morning. My calf muscles know they've had a workout, and the hammies feel slightly tight, but other than that all seems fine touch wood. Could still change tomorrow of course. Looking forward to a nice and easy 3 or 4 this evening.

12/03/2014 at 10:01

Are you not doing pilates any more, Bob? I was stuck in the office, so went to your class instead of mine yesterday,  and I hate to say it, but it seemed a bit... easier.

12/03/2014 at 10:18

You didn't hate saying that at all, Lit - admit it, you loved it!

Still doing pilates, but skipped this one when booking the current block as my wife was in Birmingham yesterday and not sure whether she'd be back in time to take over the nipper's bedtime duties. I also wanted to get a track session in at some point, and as that doesn't start until 8pm, made sense to combine the two this week. Doing the rest of this block though apart from the Tuesday before Lincoln when I don't want to throw any potential spanners in the works. E.G. Felt slightly tight in the upper arms and shoulders during my running for the rest of last week after attacking the press ups with a bit too much enthusiasm at Tuesday's pilates!

Edited: 12/03/2014 at 10:18
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.