Overdone it?

5,201 to 5,220 of 9,621 messages
17/03/2014 at 21:37

Muddy - Regency is on the 6th - same day as Brighton. Some sharp corners and you should start near the front as it can be a bit congested round the golf course. 

17/03/2014 at 21:42

Lit - I never normally wear headphones but having raced this one before I knew it was quite tedious, so took them as I back up. I managed 3 laps without any music but needed a boost by lap 4 so turned it on. I found out that my friend who was running the marathon got bored and pulled out at the half marathon stage of this race.

Funster - Yes it was a finish photo. Just found a 10k in Cannon Hill Park, so may do this one.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=82119&ms=

17/03/2014 at 21:42

Bob - nice extrapolation and interpretation there, what could possibly go wrong? That sounds about right for Broxtowe park, will maybe give the Colwick 5k's a go.

Chris - Tut tut at the headphones , at least they're not the massive ones which go over your head which I saw someone wearing in a race last year. Nice photo!Sounds like a good idea to get a 10k done, that will give you a much better indicator as to potential HM time than a 5k will.

Lit - is it possible to enter the Beeston 5 mile race online or is it by post only? Although I won't be racing it, so might just see if there's any entries available on the night. 

Lou - how's the hip?

17/03/2014 at 21:44

Postal entries or on the night for an extra £2. The marshalling will, of course, be top quality. I'm torn between being tail bike and being the person who has to stand next to the canal with a life belt.

17/03/2014 at 21:54

Lou - Thanks mate. Those are some lovely looking race results, nice strong finish for Warwick too. I could not see the splits for Stratford. Do you take beetroot for running then? I recently read that the nitrates in the beetroot boost stamina and make your muscles more efficient. Last week I bought a carton of beetroot and a few shots, but not sure if I noticed any difference.

17/03/2014 at 21:59

Is lead bike taken? That always looks good fun, although a bit of pressure to not go the wrong way. Tail bike might be quite difficult, as it's hard to ride a bike really slowly I think. Life belt duty could be ok, as long as you don't actually need to rescue somebody.  

Is it likely to sell out?

17/03/2014 at 22:15

Erm, I'm not sure my bike goes very fast. It shouldn't sell out as we've applied for a bigger race limit this year (just because if you don't and then you let ONE extra person enter than you're not insured any more). But I can let you know in plenty of time anyway if it does likely to.

17/03/2014 at 22:34

Ok, thanks. Could you paint your bike yellow to make it faster?

I've just looked at the Notts AC 5 mile race, as one which I can actually race and it looks like it's 2 days before the decent 5k race at Newstead Abbey, which is a bit annoying.

17/03/2014 at 22:45

I might consider painting my wicker basket yellow.

17/03/2014 at 22:49
Long yellow pants should do it.
17/03/2014 at 23:00
Lou, I had a terrific beetroot crop last year, mainly because in despair at precious little else growing with the extended frost, I planted out far too much. I wasn't particularly imaginative with it though, just roasted it. If someone had told me 10 years ago I'd be into distance running and growing my own veg. I would have probably died laughing.

CJ - the cannon hill 10k looks ideal. I'll enter that; it may be a bit too late for the regency and the logistics will be a lot simpler.
17/03/2014 at 23:13
CJ - Entered the cannon hill park 10k.
DT, Lou - Thanks for the info but this one very close to home and is far too convenient to miss out on.
17/03/2014 at 23:18

cool I have entered the 10k and the Stratford half as well. You are welcome to a lift for the 10k if you need one.

17/03/2014 at 23:25
I think it's definitely my turn to drive.

Can you make it tomorrow night ?
18/03/2014 at 10:13

Richard - The rough plan is to work down the distances on the track this summer, but starting with 5 mile / 5k on the roads, and then on to 3000m - 1500m - 800m. Though I would like to get an 800 in early as I've not run one yet. No flesh on the bones, but I've got an approximate idea of how the training will progress, after the Lincoln 10k, yes:

• A few weeks of mostly easy mileage to let the legs recover, but with some leg speed work progressing into hill sessions, and the odd race.
  • Cut the mileage a little and add back in 2 x VO2 max sessions/week - just inside 5k pace at the outset, but leading on to 3k pace.
  • Cut the mileage further and start adding fast paced lactic tolerance sessions with long recoveries.
  • Race regularly with just maintenance mileage and leg speed sessions in between.

Nice pics, Chris...does look very open there!

Tommy (Lou) - What could go wrong? I could be shit / not have made anything like the progress I'm hoping. McMillan does think I need to run 19:15 over 5k to go sub-40 over 10k however, so I need to be somewhere around there if I'm going to hit my major spring target with just 2 weeks to go from this weekend. Having said that, this is going to be a heavy mileage week - excuses in early. 

That annoyed me last year with the Notts 5 and Newstead 5k being so close together. I made the right choice though, was absolutely baking hot (80F+) for the Notts 5, but had cooled off a little, particularly under the wooded canopy at Newstead a couple of days later.

Speaking of beetroot, I recall now that I used beetroot juice for the Newstead race, and it was probably my stand out performance (track aside) until recently. Perhaps there is something in it!

11 miles @ smack on 8:00, the middle 7 of which was with the club, last night. Easy jog to and from pilates tonight - are you back in your regular slot, Lit?

Edited: 18/03/2014 at 10:14
18/03/2014 at 10:29

Yes, unless I get held up at work again. Though if you're back there probably won't be a gap in your class for me to fit into!

Apologies for my appalling spelling and grammar yesterday, by the way; must have been tired!

18/03/2014 at 11:00

The dreaded lurgy has been keeping a low profile for a couple of weeks but my resting heart rate never got back down to normal so I knew it was still lurking. It's now resurfaced as a nasty, chesty cough . Had M off and it's going to be T off as well, at least.  Want it to F off smartish! 

Putting a positive spin on things: if all my recent races were to some extent virus-affected, I'm looking forward to running some when I'm healthy .

How are your bugs, muddy and skinny?  Hope they don't linger too long. 

Good luck to everyone else in staying fit and avoiding ailments, especially those who have invested so much time and effort into marathon training.  Nutters!

18/03/2014 at 11:45

Pete - Bob's surmise the other day was accurate: I think Elvis has left the building. I had a decent sortie on Sunday night where aerobically I felt fantastic and not at all sluggish on very fresh legs. I will try to test things out further in the club session tonight and see how the recovery from that goes. I hope your lurgy does one as soon as possible. I was discussing with a mate about the possibility of it being related to over training - said mate is training for a swimming event and finds himself going down with viruses as the training kicks in. We concluded that we need to pay a lot of attention to rest and diet.

Lit - I never noticed nuffink.

Edited: 18/03/2014 at 11:51
18/03/2014 at 21:41

Pete - hope the lurgy doesn't hang around long.

Muddy - Glad you're better in advance of the HM on Sunday. You still aiming for 1:27 dead?

Bob - looks like a decent plan for the summer, although I notice the corn dolly 7 is missing from your schedule.

More running round the cricket pitch for me tonight, managed to avoid any dog interruptions this time but the bloody wind was a right pain.

18/03/2014 at 21:50

Off to Zurich (airport) tomorrow for Thursday meeting before flying back Friday.

Then got weekend in Wilmslow going to Lyme Park and probably Sunday shopping at Cheshire Oaks although I believe there is a HM there so may go and watch that instead and let the girls go shopping unrestricted by my boredom.

The worse the weather, the less dogs there tend to be Tommy - I don't think the dogs are that bothered by the weather, its the owners.

Good luck on Sunday Muddy - 1:27 and not a second less will be perfect for Jantastic remember! 

Good luck to anyone else racing too.

Cheers, Skinny

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.