Overdone it?

5,221 to 5,240 of 7,848 messages
18/03/2014 at 21:41

Pete - hope the lurgy doesn't hang around long.

Muddy - Glad you're better in advance of the HM on Sunday. You still aiming for 1:27 dead?

Bob - looks like a decent plan for the summer, although I notice the corn dolly 7 is missing from your schedule.

More running round the cricket pitch for me tonight, managed to avoid any dog interruptions this time but the bloody wind was a right pain.

18/03/2014 at 21:50

Off to Zurich (airport) tomorrow for Thursday meeting before flying back Friday.

Then got weekend in Wilmslow going to Lyme Park and probably Sunday shopping at Cheshire Oaks although I believe there is a HM there so may go and watch that instead and let the girls go shopping unrestricted by my boredom.

The worse the weather, the less dogs there tend to be Tommy - I don't think the dogs are that bothered by the weather, its the owners.

Good luck on Sunday Muddy - 1:27 and not a second less will be perfect for Jantastic remember! 

Good luck to anyone else racing too.

Cheers, Skinny

18/03/2014 at 22:01

Muddy, what half you doing??

I'm on my second cold in six weeks, the previous one lasting four weeks. I was once told that runners are far more likely to pick up bugs as they are out and about more and are breathing circa 10 times more than a non runner so highly enhanced chance of taking something in. 

18/03/2014 at 22:05

Have fun in Zurich Skinny - enjoy the rösti. If you do go to Cheshire Oaks there is an Asics store which has some cheap gear if you need anything?

18/03/2014 at 22:28
Tommy - I am wondering about that aim. It fits in with my 5km time. Maybe Skinny's prediction machine can help me out on the basis of tonight's club session. He got it right last time out from similar info ...

Apparently we were supposed to do 2 or 3 x 1.7m(with 3 mins recovery @ 5k pace). It turned out more like hmp for me as I took on 3 reps for an average of around 6:36 min/mile. It was very up and down with a total ascent of ~700 ft over those reps and a bit of wind to contend with, so quite a hard workout all told. I'd seen similar routines in some half marathon plans for taper week so decided to give it a good go rather than hold back.
18/03/2014 at 22:29
DT - Liverpool BTR.

I guess you don't buy the overtraining theory. When the little funster gets ill I am guaranteed to get it. The missus escapes most of the time. Only one of us is running 30+ miles per week
Edited: 18/03/2014 at 22:40
18/03/2014 at 22:47

Ah yes, sorry you did say that.

I have two, the youngest is currently streaming. Oddly I've been hit again and the wife's escaped! Yeah I'm quite sure its a mix of the exposure you get ie kids, big air con office, together with the battering we give our bodies. 

18/03/2014 at 22:48

I have not had a cold for at least 5 years. I also try to avoid spending any time near small children. I run 60+ miles a week.

18/03/2014 at 22:55
One of the ladies at the club was saying something similar. Something like 15 years of not getting ill ! I admit quite freely that my diet and rest(sleep) could be improved.
18/03/2014 at 22:56

I do eat quite a lot of broccoli. That might help.

18/03/2014 at 23:00

The first limb to getting multiple illness has to be the exposure. I had not been physically sick for something like 15 years. Within 12 months of my son starting pre school I had three vomiting bugs in 12 months.

Saying that though I started running to the level I'm running at now last May. This is my third cold in that 10 months. Prior to that I had gone two years. 

18/03/2014 at 23:02
Yes, I get plenty of that, as it's one of the few vegs the little funster eats. I think where things slip is the rushed lunches at work and grabbing a quick breakfast in the morning melee.
18/03/2014 at 23:10
DT - Yeah exactly the same happened to me, within weeks of him starting nursery. Then factor in time off work to handle the illness as they are excluded , and the strain of catching up with things, and then on top of that getting sick in the process. Lot of juggling required to fit in the running around that.
18/03/2014 at 23:21

When you put it like that, it makes me think there should be an element to the wava scoring that takes account of the age of your children also

19/03/2014 at 08:05
Daughter has a 40degree fever today and McF was up all night with a rasping cough. I'm going to Glasgow today and the plane will no doubt be full of germs.
...But I'm not I'll yet.
Muddy - another monster session with the club. Did anyone manage to do that at 5k pace? I would think threshold pace would be more appropriate, or hmp, like you, for hm prep.
I did 8 at my revised and hopefully realistic MP. I've been using a pace based my hm time until Sunday, but decided for the next couple of weeks to get used to my goal race pace. Hip was a little bit niggly from the start and its a bit sore today so I think I'll start winding down now see if it clears up.
Last night was the first trial of a phone app called runzi which records running cadence. It confirmed my counting with a fairly consistent 159-162. I think I'll reintroduce some drills etc post Mara to try to increase that a bit.
19/03/2014 at 08:25

Funster - another beast of a session for you, particularly if the recoveries were at 5k pace . Will be interesting to see how you get on at the weekend as your training tends to be more intervals/reps rather than longer tempo/threshold sessions which are part of more traditional HM training programs (from what I can remember of what you post training wise).

Lou - 8 at MP is a good session, hope the hip niggle clears up.

19/03/2014 at 09:18

Good to see some race entries going in. Just a shame i live so far from you lot and haven't a clue about the courses you're discussing I was thinking about Whitstable 10k which is 4 weeks after Brighton. Won't be a great deal of specific training for that, if any, but may be worth having a blast to eek out some of the marathon fitness.

Lou - Good session. Come on then, spill the beans .....

muddy - a good one from you as well, nice pace and a fair bit of climb. Good luck for your HM.

Skinny - Chesire Oaks eh ! I have been that far north before, nice place. We have friends in Halebank which is near Widnes. Anywhere near you ? Hope you're resting up well ( apart from the international jet setting, of course )

Final proper session here this morning was my 3rd BAC session which i set at 21mins @ MP, 4 x 5 mins at around HMP/Threshold ( off 2mins ) , then a final 21 mins of MP. 3 mins before and after the reps.

3.07M @ 6.51

3mins

3.1M @ ave 6:26 ( 4x5 mins off 2 mins )

3 mins

3.08M @ 6:50

Total 12.5M inc w/u, recoveries, c/d

Amazing how easy the first 2.5M of that last MP block felt after the reps. McMillan predicts 6:48 off my HM time and i'm having a bit of a battle with the CHIMP on this at the moment. He reckons McMillan is talking bollocks and i'll die on my arse

19/03/2014 at 09:30

I suppose the question is how accurate has McMillan been with previous half to full marathon conversions?

Lou - well done, and what mace said.

19/03/2014 at 09:41

Thanks for insisting Jackie share that stretch at the end with our subsequent class, Lit. Oooyah! 

Thread contributors and their families seem to be full of more bugs than a Microsoft beta-testing program at the moment. Don't think I'll stay long. Get well or stay well everyone!

For the record, when I started running, I had a chest infection that stopped me in my tracks within a few weeks of starting, but then had the longest stretch of unbroken good health I've probably had in my life in the 10 months between late December 2012 and late October 2013. Not been quite so lucky in the 5 months since, but the frequency of illness striking is still well down compared to the endless cycle of the little 'un shipping germs into the house over the last few years.

Enjoy Zurich, Skinny. Although watching the Wilmslow HM could feel a bit like torturing yourself, it still sounds preferable to shopping!

Concur with the others on that session, Muddy. Multiple hilly 1.7m reps @ 5k pace are completely bonkers! Looks like you (or your legs) moderated the pace to something a bit more sensible anyway. Hope it doesn't take anything out of you for Sunday. How are you this morning?

Good session, Lou - fingers crossed with the hip. As Mace implies - what's target pace then? 

Mace - Great session from you too. After a quick calc, I like the number that 6:48 spits out if you can get that chimp to pipe down.

Tommy - What was your session? Concur it was windy out there yesterday. Looking a bit wild for the end of the week and into Saturday morning too. May skip the parkrun and run an extended tempo after a lie in if prospects don't improve. I can't remember the last time I raced in even relatively calm conditions, getting pretty sick of it now - even Sunday's Relays, despite the unbroken sunshine, had a spirit sapping headwind on the exposed back section just as you were recovering from the hill climb. And yes, don't think I'll be racing the Corn Dolly this year! I might still be tempted to run it as a tempo if the rest of the family fancy a day out, but that might depend now. Developments are afoot...watch this space. 

19/03/2014 at 09:43

Mace - think of a time you would be truly delighted with (it shouldn't be too hard) and give yourself an extra 4 seconds a mile - a lot can go wrong over 26 miles and if a dream goal is within reach without being right at the limit why push the limit.

Widnes, Wilmslow and Cheshire Oaks are all about 2 and a half hours from me.

I will be in Tonbridge in April - anywhere near you?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.