Overdone it?

5,221 to 5,240 of 15,436 messages
26/03/2014 at 19:58
I did this last year then after my hand accident I obviously couldn't do any. First attempt was when my physio ended and I managed a whopping 2 !!! My forearm was ridiculously withered at that time.

Taper madness kicking in a bit with a daily check of the Brighton forecast for 6th April. Infact I checked twice today and at the last count it was almost perfect with a 4-6 mph WNW, 14 degrees C, no rain.
26/03/2014 at 20:48
DT - was your mp prediction based on a recent effort ? Might be some adjustments to make after all this training.
26/03/2014 at 21:03
Mace - did you get up to 100 after 6 weeks? Do you think it helped your running?
26/03/2014 at 23:47

Lit- just checking!

Skinny, give them a go, you might find press ups are suddenly easy. I' all have a crack on the weekend, see what I still have in me.

Muddy, original 3.05 est was based on a couple of 1.27 halfs and then anticipated progress through the schedule. I genuinely guessed by this stage I'd be at 1.25 level but it just not come, unless of course taper performs some magic beyond all reason!

27/03/2014 at 06:00
Skinny - most was 116 in one hit but I could do 30ish when I started. I had to repeat a few weeks though so it probably took me 9 weeks or so. Not sure if it helped running but it's a core exercise so I guess so. I'm doing the challenge again now but struggling a bit more this time, I guess due to the Mara training and a couple of sessions at the gym plus Pilates .

DT - you had a disappointing half recently didn't you ? That must have thrown a spanner in the works psychologically but I'd be amazed if you haven't come on doing P&D. Are you using heart rate in your MP runs or is it the perceived effort that is giving you doubt ? MP should feel much easier on the day
Edited: 27/03/2014 at 06:04
27/03/2014 at 09:27
mace wrote (see)
Taper madness kicking in a bit with a daily check of the Brighton forecast for 6th April. Infact I checked twice today and at the last count it was almost perfect with a 4-6 mph WNW, 14 degrees C, no rain.

And just to prove how pointless it is to check the weather forecast more than 2 hours in advance, today we have the following for Brighton 6th April between 6am - noon ....

10-14mph SSE

8deg C

5.4mm rain

Couldn't really be much different to yesterday

Edited: 27/03/2014 at 09:28
27/03/2014 at 09:29

6 April last year was cold and windy in the morning, but lovely and calm and sunny in the afternoon, if that helps.

27/03/2014 at 09:30

Ha !!  That helps enormously

27/03/2014 at 09:38

Probably as good a guide as any forecast this far out, Lit!

An old pal/acquaintance of mine identifies general trends far better than the pros most of the time - he identified well in advance the warm spell a couple of weeks ago followed by this current colder snap.

Here's his take (written about a fortnight ago) on the coming days/weeks.

"March 29th to April 6th: Further "spring-like" intervals are possible in central and eastern areas, but a mixed period is expected. The west in particular should have occasional rain or showers, while eastern areas, although not entirely settled may continue to be bright at times with fewer showers. Temperatures should be close to or somewhat above normal with, on the whole, milder nights.

April 7th to 11th: Complex low pressure could make this the most unsettled and dullest time window, although rainfall may be rather "Hit and miss". Nevertheless some locally heavy rain is possible that may transfer to more southern parts later. A cold wind may develop with time bringing a marked drop in temperature, to perhaps make it feel rather raw later particularly in the north and east."

27/03/2014 at 09:39

Oh, 3 x 1m this morning.

I wanted to do an MP session instead ( more taper madness !! )

EDIT : Cold winds only from the 7th eh Bob. Can i have his name and address so i can sue if they come a day earlier 

Edited: 27/03/2014 at 09:41
27/03/2014 at 09:48

He'd say himself that he identifies general trends rather than the daily details...so no. 

Can sometimes be one or two days out either way as there's so many variables, but he's not often wrong about the general patterns nowadays.

27/03/2014 at 09:59

mace, yes, bad half has led to some knock in confidence. I do keep forgetting the magic of race day as well!

It said on the radio today that we are apparently going to have the hottest summer since 1903, kicking in at the end of April. Bearing in mind these same clowns also said we were going to have the worst winter in history, im not inclined to load up on sun cream just yet.

27/03/2014 at 10:19

Terry's rather less extreme early thoughts on summer, were for at least one rather wet month, but a very warm August.

He was spot on last summer with its cool, damp start followed by the heatwave from early July.

27/03/2014 at 12:07
mace wrote (see)
Skinny - most was 116 in one hit but I could do 30ish when I started. I had to repeat a few weeks though so it probably took me 9 weeks or so. Not sure if it helped running but it's a core exercise so I guess so. I'm doing the challenge again now but struggling a bit more this time, I guess due to the Mara training and a couple of sessions at the gym plus Pilates . 

Hard for me not to take this seriously when both you and Lit have done it and survived a marathon campaign.

It is always my shoulders and arms that seem to stop me doing more though rather than my core - perhaps though that is because my core is not doing enough work helping them out?

Anyway 1.5 hours of strengthening exercises last night including 20 minutes weights and 12 mins doing the Core H routine. Plus 16 press ups. Also got my wife to take a photo of me at start of 6 weeks, I would imagine in 6 weeks time there will be another photo and I will look exactly the same but hopefully the photo thing will give me some extra motivation.

Physio this morning and she thinks my bone lump is starting to spread and flatten out which is a sign the healing process is underway.

When I asked her what happened once I was healed I was pleased that she didn't bullsh1t but told me she hadn't dealt with one of these before and that she would have to do some research on elite physio recommendations for how to come back from an injury like mine. Obviously it would have been better still if she said she'd dealt with loads of these and given me a plan but I like her and think she will do the research - in the meantime I'll probably start doing my own.

27/03/2014 at 13:07
Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)
Also got my wife to take a photo of me at start of 6 weeks, I would imagine in 6 weeks time there will be another photo and I will look exactly the same but hopefully the photo thing will give me some extra motivation.

I believe the trick is to stand with really bad posture in the 'before' photo and try and stick your tummy out.

It would be your core holding you up in a plank rather than arms, but for push-ups you should expect your arms and shoulders to give up first. But you should definitely be engaging your core (and perhaps your glutes too) to make sure that your back is supported and not arched.

27/03/2014 at 13:50

Thanks - pretty happy they are engaged to right level - my push up posture is far better than my day to day posture. Planks are covered in Core H routine.

Also the 'before' photo should be done as far away from exercise as possible whereas the 'after' should be done after working your body to near exhaustion

27/03/2014 at 13:55

Hope you're going to show us yer' guns once the 6 weeks is up, Skinny. 

27/03/2014 at 13:57

I believe for the 'after' shot it's also customary to cover yourself in fake tan using a paint roller, to make the muscle definition stand out more.

27/03/2014 at 13:57

Abs - olutely! 

But the after photo will have to be A LOT more impressive than the before photo for that to happen!

27/03/2014 at 14:19

its also very important for the after photo to remove any torso hair and to stand at a partiular angle in artificial light. The before ought to have been done in 100% natural daylight.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.