Overdone it?

5,241 to 5,260 of 15,496 messages
27/03/2014 at 14:22

Can we see the 'before' photo now?

27/03/2014 at 14:23

Not now, not ever

27/03/2014 at 14:26

Some impressive press-upping going on here!  When I was less of a runner and more of a gym bunny I was up to about 50-60 to exhaustion, more like 30 at the moment.  (OK, yes, 31 this morning after I read Lit's post!)  I don't do them regularly at the moment, assuming that the rowing is doing a reasonable job of keeping my core in good shape, but might start doing them again if I can be persuaded that they're good for something other than getting good at press-ups.

Re: after-photo.  I worked out a while ago that it's the spotlights in the gym changing room which are particularly flattering to muscle tone.  That's my advice: spotlights in the ceiling!

27/03/2014 at 14:39

yep- i have spotlights in my kitchen ceiling. When i catch a glimpse of my reflection in the back door  under those im high fiving myself!

Mace- Forgot to answer your question earlier. I dont bother with hrm as when i have done, its cut me to bits and registered some fairly random readings, so its all done on perceived effort.

Edited: 27/03/2014 at 15:13
27/03/2014 at 20:05

Flying visit as it's our wedding anniversary today.

Cold, wet, miserable out there, and more of a cross wind than the 4mph Garmin are reporting!

Really didn't even want to get into it, and thought during the first rep as it began to piss down, 'feck this, I'll just run the 2 reps it'll take me to get back round the rowing lake to my car, and then bugger off home.'

Anyway, slowly eased my way into it, and didn't work out three bad in the end. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/468595521

27/03/2014 at 20:13

I'm confused. Where are the 3 mile warm-up, strides, and 1 mile cool down?

Well done, though.

27/03/2014 at 20:21
Good stuff Bob, bodes very well. I am itching to get out but have been left holding the baby.

I did 25 press ups and got very red in the face in the meantime.
27/03/2014 at 22:36

Good session bob, you look well placed for sub 40. 

I'll have a crack at press ups on Saturday as its my rest day

27/03/2014 at 23:18

Thanks, folks.

literatin wrote (see)

I'm confused. Where are the 3 mile warm-up, strides, and 1 mile cool down?

Well done, though.

Cool down's here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/468595534

Because the watch had been set up for 7 repeats of 1k and 75 secs recovery + cooldown, it ended the session & played me the cheesy tune when I lapped it at what I estimated as 1km on the final rep - just over 1km in the end, so the pace was another 3:56'er or thereabouts.

I also cocked up the start of the session, so had to restart (and later deleted) after the first part of my warm-up. Was probably more like 2 miles, and did include strides, dynamic stretches, a short section at MP/approaching tempo...and the obligatory wazz in a bush. Was intending the warm-up to be 2.25 miles initially, and have a proper section at tempo, but it was already getting dark (finished in the pitch black) and the weather was so awful I just wanted to get on with it. Probably explains why the first two reps were the worst though - fear not, there'll be a proper 2.5 to 3 mile warm-up at Lincoln with the strides at the end rather than half-arsedly crowbarred in as they were tonight. 

'Erm...well you did ask.  Night!

28/03/2014 at 05:56
Only you could provide such a concise reply

To be fair you did well to get out on your anniversary and then pop in here "briefly". Twice

Hope you both enjoyed

EDIT : .... great session !!!
Edited: 28/03/2014 at 05:57
28/03/2014 at 07:02
mace wrote (see)
Hope you both enjoyed 

Mace!!! Some things that go on on wedding anniversaries are private, you know!

28/03/2014 at 08:47
literatin wrote (see)
mace wrote (see)
Hope you both enjoyed 

I expect we'll get full details later today.

Martial arts instructors love press-ups - good for punching innit. Every session used to start with 3x30 press-ups, squats, star jumps and sit-ups.  I stopped doing them once I started marathon training and just concentrated on legs and core.  I'll have a go at the 100 challenge after Brighton.

I think they're harder for tall people, due to moments and levers and stuff.

28/03/2014 at 09:23
literatin wrote (see)
mace wrote (see)
Hope you both enjoyed 

I have an image of Mrs Bob lighting up whilst Bob grabs his Blackberry to bring us up to date with his warm up and cool down activities. Reading again though I think we just need to check which of the two activities this phrase was referring to:-

'I also cocked up the start of the session, so had to restart (and later deleted) after the first part of my warm-up.'

28/03/2014 at 09:24

What martial arts did you used to do Lou? The start of your martial arts session sounds a little like a whole session!

28/03/2014 at 09:30

I did tae kwon do for a few years and that was press ups galore. In fact to progress from white belt you had to be able to do 20 press ups on your knuckles!

Those and star jumps were done in 3 figures over most sessions.

28/03/2014 at 09:45

Haha, Skinny, you'd probably think the warm up for my trapeze/rope classes was a whole session too! Lots of stretching and stomach crunches.

28/03/2014 at 10:56

The warm up for my Pilates class last night was ....

3M cycle there

Sit in class for 15 minutes

Get told the class is cancelled and " sorry, we forgot to tell you all "

3.5M cycle home

28/03/2014 at 12:46
Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

What martial arts did you used to do Lou? The start of your martial arts session sounds a little like a whole session!

I've done a few over the years including judo, kung fu mma, but mostly kickboxing.   I was never particularly good at any of them to be honest.  Hopefully, I'll be better at running.  We would do various combinations of press-ups to make them harder - wide arms, close hands, linked together in twos or threes. The kung fu guy loved doing them on on knuckles, fingers, back of hand - all sorts of stuff.

28/03/2014 at 13:28

: wishing I'd just said flying visit because I'm busy last night! :

Did you get out in the end, Muddy?

That's a bit crap, Mace

Martial arts? I've got a black belt in Origami. ('Hilarious' 80s gag.)

The old PTT was grumbling a bit first thing this morning, but seems ok now - apart from that, I feel surprisingly good. Session was hard obviously, and I was glad to finish it, but wasn't out on my feet at any point, and definitely could have done another rep at that pace if required. A welcome confidence booster.

Where's Tommy? Just that he's headed out east presumably, but unusual for him not to have poked his head in even so. Hope all's well.

28/03/2014 at 13:39

'dynamic stretches, a short section at MP/approaching tempo...and the obligatory wazz in a bush'

- just realised this bit could also be misconstrued.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.