Overdone it?

5,281 to 5,300 of 9,516 messages
20/03/2014 at 18:02

Pete - my sympathies, but at least it's clearing out. You'll have to keep me up to date with the north west england wind situation. 

20/03/2014 at 18:26

muddy: Only been out for a walk to the paper shop and back (about 0.8k) but it was pretty bracing!  Sunday's a while off yet and I've not found wind speed forecasts to be very accurate so fingers crossed for you.  Is the route flat?

20/03/2014 at 20:16
Pete - Yeah it's undulating the first half or so but not on a worrying scale, then flat all along the return to the city centre along the Mersey.
20/03/2014 at 21:25

My foot was giving me a bit of gyp this morning so I swapped my rest day from tomorrow. Plus I drove to the Wirral and back and stood in the rain next to the Mersey for a while today, so was a bit knacked by the time I got home and had my tea.

20/03/2014 at 22:38

Just the 3.7 miles mostly at recovery pace for me, with a few strides as a leg loosener in prep for a session of some sort on Saturday. Follows 7.5 last night with 2x2 @ LT off 3 mins. Average of 6:42 and all nicely in control apart from uphill sections into the bastarding wind. 3 mins was an unnecessarily lengthy recovery I think - 2 or perhaps 2 and a half would have been plenty.

Huge bowl of risotto followed by 2 chocolate brownies with cream for tea as the scales threatened to stick at 10st 13 this morning. 

The forecast wind for Saturday AM has moderated somewhat, but will make a late decision on parkrun I think. Alternative will be an extended tempo run somewhere around HMP. Either way, tomorrow will be a rest day.

What's your plans, Tommy - are you still heading east? Hope the foot's ok.

Get well soon, Pete!

20/03/2014 at 22:59

Looks that way Bob, probably in a week or so, having to jump through numerous hoops to allow us to undertake the work but I think we're getting close to being given the go ahead. Foot will be fine, it comes and goes but I just try and keep en eye on it and move rest days around accordingly, physio looked at it last year and said it was nothing to worry about. Decent looking session for you yesterday, looking promising for your assault on sub 40 in a couple of weeks, be a good sighter if you can get a parkrun in.

21/03/2014 at 01:01
Edited: 21/03/2014 at 05:55
21/03/2014 at 08:36

Whassat, Skinny?! Everything ok?

Cheers, Tommy. Looking a slightly more sensible cold and breezy first thing tomorrow now, rather than wet and windy.  

21/03/2014 at 09:16

That does seem like a good session the night before last Bob. Doing those longer reps at McMillan LT pace, is that intended to push your speed endurance out a bit ?

21/03/2014 at 09:32

I take it your aim, is to stay at or around 11 stone Bob? I am a reasonable amount shorter than you and cannot get myself consistently below the 11 mark. Though, thats probably because i live on a 'you deserve it, youve trained hard' eat and drink what you Want philosophy!!

21/03/2014 at 09:59

Funster - Yes, that's the idea. Still my least favourite sessions, but felt a block of them leading into my 10k 'A' race of the spring was important, and probably the most beneficial for me to focus on. I hoped the Steady/MP/Sub-LT runs and XC racing over the winter would stand me in better stead for these, and so it appears to be proving. Because of the illness, and the subsequent rash of 3 XC races in 8 days soon after, I only got one tempo progressing towards LT in before Rushcliffe, so I'm hopeful what I've done since will allow me to find the extra half minute or so I need at Lincoln. Good luck on Sunday if we don't cross paths again beforehand - go and smash 1:27, you're well capable.

DT - I initially tried to put weight back on after my illness, but I seem to be running well at around the 11 stone mark and feel great, so I'm now in no rush to put much back on for the moment, though I definitely don't want to go any lower. I'm probably about ideal for 10k racing at this weight, but feel I could do with being a bit sturdier for the middle-distance to come. I'm not really a gym type person however, so not quite sure how I'd go about putting those few pounds back on in the right places. Not much point putting it back on in body fat just for the sake of it!

21/03/2014 at 15:30

Bob - Thanks for the encouragement. I have a healthy level of apprehension, so we shall see. Hmm, that's not quite the stuff of death or glory is it ?

I see what you are trying to do - quite nicely timed for Lincoln then with a 3 week adaptation period. Did you get a hill phase included in the end too ? My three weeks of hills really did the business. In fact I don't think I ever really stopped with them after that - hills just became part of it all.

21/03/2014 at 16:07

Bobby, I don't weigh myself too often, as I think it can easily lead to an obsessive road to a worrying place, but.... I clocked myself at 11stone the other week.

Same height as you.

So you must be one skinny streak of......

Edited: 21/03/2014 at 16:08
21/03/2014 at 17:08

Bob - p.s. Good luck with the possible park run if the weather plays ball.

21/03/2014 at 17:22

Yeah, I don't think that would be unfair nowadays, SG. Quite a change from my porker days of the not so distant past. Found another beaut from my cricketing days recently, which is even more flattering as it makes me look like I'm severely balding!

http://oi57.tinypic.com/x211dc.jpg

I probably weigh myself a couple of times a week now, but it's now to regulate against further weight loss rather than gain.

Muddy - If you're not crapping yourself, you're not up for it! I'll be miserable company the night and morning before Lincoln in a couple of weeks. You'll be fine.

I started with some hills, but after one session of sprints and downhill strides, and a hilly tempo later that week, I judged between them they perhaps set off the niggle I recently complained of in my knee. Never amounted to much, but I decided to wait until the light nights and things to be a bit drier so I can attack the sessions on more forgiving ground on grassy trails. Although I've reduced my stride length on hills, increased the cadence, and I think my form overall is much improved these days, I suspect I was still crashing down on the pavements a bit too heavily. I'm still running hilly / undulating routes now, but just raising the efforts on the ups rather than really attacking them. You certainly seem to have kicked on (again) since you introduced them, so you're a good advert for getting back to them if I can do so without damaging myself!

21/03/2014 at 17:39

with those kind of close ups B-man, I can envisage an absolute stampede of ladies to this thread!

And well done on changing from a sport where you stand around a lot, to one which is pure fitness.

21/03/2014 at 18:00
Stevie G wrote (see)

So you must be one skinny streak of......

Though on the other hand, your BMI isn't that much lower than mine, and I'm not especially skinny. Though I may have lost another pound.

21/03/2014 at 18:05

I wonder if anyone 11stone at 6ft 1 can be anything but slim/athletic.

Any lurkers who have a different build with those exact measurements?

21/03/2014 at 18:15

I suppose if you weren't athletic you could be slim but with a bit of extra flab. Love  handles, maybe?

21/03/2014 at 18:20

most likely you'd be higher than 11stone!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.