Overdone it?

5,301 to 5,320 of 15,521 messages
29/03/2014 at 20:09

Had some spare time this afternoon to read around the forum a bit.

Some quite amusing taper madness going on and some interesting discussion re Mara pacing. Must admit i'm a bit unsure of where i stand on that and am pretty glad i'll have a pacer to hang on to.

How are you doing, SG ? Are you running at the moment ? I do recall a while back you seemed on a bit of a downer.

Edited: 29/03/2014 at 20:10
29/03/2014 at 20:11

That's mean SG. I wasn't well.

Bet I could win it this year if you like?

Edited: 29/03/2014 at 20:11
29/03/2014 at 20:14

Mace- if you stumbled across wentys thread in the spring marathon section, then its not taper madness per se, its just full of general running madness!!

29/03/2014 at 20:26

Lit, cheeky. Of course you could probably win it this year, but getting as fast as you can while you can is a much bigger prize.

Mace, I'm alright old son, cracking on nicely, but 12 years after the first race, there is always a chance I've seen my peak level. However, I'll work hard with my coaches advice to make that not the case.

Have been a bit busy with travels and other bits in life that need attention, but I'm sure i'll post regularly again at some stage. Every so often you need to escape the forums for a bit I think.

Edited: 29/03/2014 at 20:28
29/03/2014 at 20:55

DT - to be fair it's all over the show and i'd imagine most, definitely including me, will go through some aspect of taper madness. But i wouldn't disagree that there's a fair share of running madness in that thread.

SG - you're young enough to have more peaks ahead. Don't let your CHIMP get the better of you.

Edited: 29/03/2014 at 20:56
29/03/2014 at 22:02

Wise words from mace there, SG. After all, he's quite old, yet still nearly as fast as me over 5k. 

29/03/2014 at 22:27

Ouch !!

Last time i felt pain like that was when i edged your HM pb

30/03/2014 at 13:07
Nice and easy 14.5 m round the canals for me this morning before the sun got his hat on.

Farewell Jantastic. (Phew)
Edited: 30/03/2014 at 13:10
30/03/2014 at 16:15

Well yesterdays attempt at doing this chuffing timed run was a bit of a disaster...I went to the wrong park , so couldn't do the time trial thing. However, the park I did go to had a sort of running track type thing around the perimeter which was 2000m long, with 50m markers and more importantly was (vehicle) traffic free, but loads of human traffic.

So I decided to include the park as part of my hot slow run today, and do 3 miles at HMP as I thought that would be 'in the spirit' of the bloody thing. Anyway I undercooked the first mile, overdid the second one and got it pretty much spot on for the final mile to come within 7 seconds of my predicted time. Have we won?  

30/03/2014 at 17:50
We are in second Tommy.
30/03/2014 at 18:25

Brief return home between Coniston and Cornwall.  Tempted by the 14 mile race round Coniston Water yesterday but opted for a 12 mile hike over all the major fells in the Coniston group instead.  Finished in about 8 hours .  Recovery walk up Pike o' Blisco this morning.

literatin wrote (see)
... SG said to do a parkrun if I felt like it this close to marathon day. I wore a yellow vest, and I ran it in 18:37.

Stonking run, lit!  This site needs one of those "I bow down before your awesomeness" smilies.

30/03/2014 at 19:00

Hahahaha, someone has posted a video of the parkrun. I was wearing shorts, honest!

30/03/2014 at 19:12
Short shorts. Reminded me of being a teenager trying to pause the video during Basic Instinct.
30/03/2014 at 19:14

30/03/2014 at 20:53

A 10year old kid did 20.07, and that's only a wava of 78%? My goodness.

Sounds pretty darn tidy to me.

Reminds me of having to battle to beat a 14year old at Gosport a few years back. And I was running a 1hr 19!

30/03/2014 at 22:14

Bloody hell, Lit! Stunning effort - though I'm not sure you're allowed to take a minute and a half off your 5k PB in a fortnight when you've been running for several years!

Just back from a weekend away at Rutland Water. Glorious day yesterday, and included a run round the Hambleton Peninsula ( http://connect.garmin.com/activity/470487714 ) which included the first few km with my wife (first time we've managed to run together) and we then hired some bikes in the afternoon, cycling from the north shore of the lake to the south and back. So plenty of exercise which will hopefully offset some of the food and drink chucked down our necks! Steady-ish 5 miler after we got back today.

Skinny - Yes, had to change the underscores to dashes as it wouldn't let me update the profile with the underscores - so Lit's half right.

Muddy - Goods news re: parkrun & UKA. Lit's handicap is going to leap dramatically when the updates are applied!

Good to hear all's well, Tommy.

Any clues as to what your next race / distance might be, SG, or are you keeping your cards characteristically close to your chest?

Pleased to hear the hip's about there, Lou. Good timing.

Sounds a pleasant weekend for you too, Pete.

Bloody impressive weight loss, Mace! Have you been asked if you're ill yet? Won't be long. 

31/03/2014 at 10:07
PeteHew wrote (see)

Brief return home between Coniston and Cornwall.  Tempted by the 14 mile race round Coniston Water yesterday but opted for a 12 mile hike over all the major fells in the Coniston group instead.  Finished in about 8 hours .  Recovery walk up Pike o' Blisco this morning.

Beautiful walk that Pete - up Old Man first? My daughter worked at a hotel in Coniston last summer - The Crown?

Believe it or not I was supposed to be running the Coniston 14 last March but it got called off due to about two feet of snow - weather a bit different this year!

31/03/2014 at 10:13
http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/673230/gallery/capture_62.png?width=350

Edited: 31/03/2014 at 10:14
31/03/2014 at 10:16

Updated for Lit and Mace slowly disappearing, Lit's yellow streak around parkrun and her obscene new WAVA (which of course is bollocks anyway!).

31/03/2014 at 10:18
Stevie G wrote (see)

Heck of a good time there, and this little gaggle of pbs you've hit, 2x5K and HM, mean that you'll be going into the marathon both in top shape physically, and mentally.

Which equally applies to Mace - looking forward to the weekend - hope you are hiding this week in an oxygen tank with a mask on.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.