Overdone it?

5,301 to 5,320 of 7,807 messages
21/03/2014 at 18:15

I suppose if you weren't athletic you could be slim but with a bit of extra flab. Love  handles, maybe?

21/03/2014 at 18:20

most likely you'd be higher than 11stone!

21/03/2014 at 18:28

Yeah, but I was thinking all the muscle weight (compact, therefore slimmer) could be converted to a saggy little paunch and some back fat and you'd still sneak in at 11st.

21/03/2014 at 18:32
Stevie G wrote (see)

I wonder if anyone 11stone at 6ft 1 can be anything but slim/athletic.

Any lurkers who have a different build with those exact measurements?

Only in heels.

21/03/2014 at 18:39

no no Lit...I'm what 11stone at 6ft 1 is...ie not much muscle, barely any fat.

Any additional muscle or fat will see them over 11stone.

21/03/2014 at 18:44

Bob, I think he's calling you scrawny!

21/03/2014 at 19:02

For me to take the build of you lads I'd need to be about 10 stone 10. I've not seen that on the scales since 1998!!

21/03/2014 at 20:22
Stevie G wrote (see)

with those kind of close ups B-man, I can envisage an absolute stampede of ladies to this thread!

And well done on changing from a sport where you stand around a lot, to one which is pure fitness.

The irony is, part of the initial motivation for the running was to improve fitness for the cricket, which is now being cast aside.

literatin wrote (see)

Bob, I think he's calling you scrawny!

I'd prefer to think of it as lithe...

...but scrawny would probably be more accurate. 

Edited: 21/03/2014 at 20:23
21/03/2014 at 20:44
Back in my twenties I think I was a little under 11 stone an 6'1". Very little fat or muscle, but I wouldn't have described myself as athletic.
Nowadays I probably fit the ideal of masculinity that Lit's describing. Slim, but with a bit of backfat and love handles. And tip the scales at about 11 7.
22/03/2014 at 07:58

Rip it up at parkrun today Bob, hope the wind doesnt piss you about too much.

Good luck at Liverpool HM tomorrow funster, 1;27 flat please!

Think Richard is casually running a marathon this weekend? Hope it goes well if so.

Think that's all the racers this weekend, good luck to anyone I've missed.

22/03/2014 at 07:58
Doesn't sound like a conversation I should get involved in......

(Embarrassed smiley)
22/03/2014 at 11:16

Decided to squeeze Leam parkrun in as part of a 12 miler. Was considering Coventry, which is a much quicker course, but that would have been a 15 mile round trip, which I though might be a bit much.

Despite the first uphill half feeling worse than I ever remember it being I managed a new pb and creep under the magic 20 minute mark. Time on my watch was 19.50. 

Pleased with that, not least because it will the first update to my stats in the Overdone it? League tables.

Good luck to all the other racers - be warned it's bit windy.

22/03/2014 at 11:32

Stooopid cocking wind.

Coming off a fairly heavy training week, but nevertheless feel I'm running well at the moment, and realistically needed a big PB to instil some confidence that sub-40 is on at Lincoln.

Got to the park a bit earlier than normal, but only had time for a 2 mile warm up rather than the 2.5 that served me so well at the Rushcliffe 10k. Was pleased to see a familiar face on the start line though. He's been a regular sight in front of me both at parkrun and the 10k over recent times, and I'd got half a plan that he could prove a useful hare if he was there. Was even more pleased when he commented with a glint in his eye on the run director's reminder that it's a run not a race. Good - he's running it hard, I'll try to keep him in view.

I already knew that the wind on the back section was going to be a problem as I'd deliberately warmed up there to take a view on it, but before getting there, got into my running well. 5:49 pace on the first glance at the Garmin, and 5:58 half a mile or so in, and feeling comfortable enough. That's when both the inclines and the prevailing wind hit you however, so the plan to bank a 6:05 first mile was scuppered, and I'd faded out to 6:11.

It never really felt like it was helping, but thereafter the wind wasn't straight in your face at least, and I was again 5:5x pace for mile 2 initially, before it dropped off to 6:08. Still on track.

However, perhaps I'd gassed myself with the early pace, but the wind and inclines really took their toll in Mile 3. Was labouring along at 6:43 pace the first time I checked, and despite digging in I really couldn't get it much below 6:35 until we turned out of the wind. I was reeling my hare and the group he'd been running in at this stage, however, which wasn't doing much for my time, but did console me that I wasn't alone in finding that section tough.

Used the first of the downhills once out of the wind to kick on and get the legs moving again, and average pace for the mile began to drop 6:25...6:20, finally clocking in at 6:16 as I moved past my hare and the one other remaining member of the group he'd been running with by which point I'm trying to wind up my sprint finish a bit earlier than normal. A desperately painful 5:19 pace for the bits (again 0.16 miles per my watch) and over the line in 19:28 unofficially.

20 second PB, but have to say I was hoping for more, I felt that at least 19:20 was on the cards, and perhaps would have been in more favourable conditions. I did beat my hare over the line however - first time I've done that - and he did me by a minute at the 10k, so perhaps that tells a story. Have to admit as well that I am competitive to a fault, and 19:28 would have sounded a lot nicer without some rotter running 19:12 there last week! 

22/03/2014 at 11:37

X-post, Lou. Congrats on cracking the 20. A great mental as much as physical to break through in my opinion. Particularly impressive off your mara training and injury niggles. 

22/03/2014 at 12:16
Tommy - thanks, though I think our jantastic ship has sailed.

Well in Lou and Bob, impressive in the wind. No excuses for me now if you can improve in those conditions !
22/03/2014 at 12:28
Nice one Bob. It's never enough is it. Blame the wind.
But I would say 9:28 is more than enough for sub 40.
22/03/2014 at 12:47

Impressive park runs gents. Well done. 

Yes Tommy, running a marathon tomorrow up in the Lochs. Forgot everything but trainers so new running stuff for tomorrow. Hoping to do under 4 hours but weather and hangover dependent.  Girlfriend is at hairdressers for 3 hours, Forest are on tv,  Glasgow is full of pubs =recipe for a relaxing afternoon.

good luck Muddy tomorrow. I have heard it can be a testing last 3 miles into a generally prevailing westerly wind

skinny - enjoy the shops. Shame about your HM but you will be back, stronger for the rest. 

BTW, the table is out of date for my age (43) and weight (68kg). Hopefully soon I will provide a meaningful update!

22/03/2014 at 12:56

It was windy last week too, Bob. 

22/03/2014 at 12:59

Anyway, well done to Lou and Bob on the sizeable new PBs. Lou - I've no sympathy with a 15-mile round trip as mine is a 13-mile round trip on a bicycle (I do not drive). Bob, from the opening of your post it sounded like it was going to be a massive disaster, so it was a pleasant surprise to read the rest and it turned out to be an impressive PB. Throughout the report you were mentioning paces that were too fast not to be a PB, so I was expecting some sort of horrific crawl in the last mile! Don't forget, too, that some of us had not run a sub 20 minute 5k before running a sub 40 10k.

22/03/2014 at 13:21
Thanks Richard and good luck with your marathon. Think the winds will be stronger up there! The forecast showed a big arrow heading over the Irish Sea pointing at the last four miles
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.