Overdone it?

981 to 1,000 of 8,493 messages
13/09/2013 at 11:57

Just at normal easy pace, but actually easy this time rather than a bit too fast by mistake. Or at least not taking-the-piss fast.

13/09/2013 at 12:03

Heh. Reading between the lines paints a nice picture of some of the conversations that go on between you lot with the feedback you get back from training runs!

13/09/2013 at 12:24

Bob - not at all. I'm just aware that I will only have myself to blame if I'm knackered after Sunday's run. 

13/09/2013 at 12:24

Nothing but praise if you hit the paces - kind/encouraging words if you don't manage the paces at all - cautionary words with a slightly sinister undertone if you go faster than the paces (particularly early in a 12 week training block) - slightly sarcastic in a you should know better style if you beat the pace on first interval and then miss on the later intervals (you soon learn not to do this though!).

The final one feels like the ultimate sin although I've never reported back with a 'couldn't be arsed to run tonight' or ' did a couple of miles and then had a walk and a couple of ciggies' - perhaps I should try it and see what happens.  

13/09/2013 at 12:38

Bob - My wife has run for quite a few years (much longer than I overall), but this has been broken up by periods of pregancy and lazyness. Our kids are too young to be left alone so rarely get the chance to train together.  We have occasionally called in the services of grandparants and gone for a long run together and even hired a babysitter so we could both do a race.  On the whole its good but I think the logistics will be tricky when we are both trying to knock out 50mpw of marathon training next year.

Going back to 'Steady Pace' McMillian puts mine at 6:45-7:00, which is broadly HMP-MP.  To fast to be running 15 miles so I suspect definitions may vary.

13/09/2013 at 13:52

The variation in terms is probably partly because McMillan doesn't name his training paces after race paces. Still wouldn't want to run for 90 mins at MP though, which is what the slower & longer end of his 'steady state run' would be. The little definition you get if you click on it reckons this should be 'easy to medium' effort. Though he may also have a different definition of 'easy' to me too!

13/09/2013 at 16:09

Lit/Skinny - Good stuff. 

Lit - Agreed about McMillan's 'Steady' pace. I can see that it would be Easy to Medium effort over 25 mins at one end of the range, but 90 mins at the other end of the range most certainly would not!

Lou - Yes, good luck with that! Will involve some late nights and early mornings pounding out the miles I would think. It's a hard enough balance for us at the moment with me getting back up towards 20 miles per week, and my wife's 10-15! The light nights and hot afternoons of the summer have meant I got out of the habit of running from work at lunchtimes. Think I'll have to revert to that a couple of times per week to keep things going as my mileage (hopefully) begins to nudge back up to pre-injury levels.

Edited: 13/09/2013 at 16:10
14/09/2013 at 18:46

Skinny - good luck in the GNR tomorrow

14/09/2013 at 18:57

Yeah, good luck Skinny with sticking to the sensible pacing plan. 

14/09/2013 at 23:37

Thanks both - off to bed now - had a bit of a sh1t day incl not doing my pre race day run with strides - hopefully as its not a race that won't make too much of a difference.

Weather forecast looks like a cracker!!

15/09/2013 at 06:44
Good luck Skinny
15/09/2013 at 08:49

Have a good one Skinny. 

15/09/2013 at 08:51

I know he's not wearing the banana suit... but that's what I'm picturing.

15/09/2013 at 09:16

Good luck and don't forget your wellies.

15/09/2013 at 15:35

Wind assisted 1:32:30 - had a bit of a stressful pre race but kept paces sensibleish - lots to tell but off to my dad's for his 80th so will have to wait till tomorrow.

Cheers, Skinny

15/09/2013 at 15:41

Haha, 'sensibleish'. 

15/09/2013 at 21:47

Nice work, Skinny. Particularly if you ran it as 'easily' as you were meant to. 

Hope the 80th bash was also a success.

Look forward to the race report.

Bit under the weather myself, and fell short of my target of getting under 20:00 at Rushcliffe yesterday - 20:11. More details on the MG thread. More positively, the tendon has come through the rigours yesterday and another 5 miles or so today unscathed, so optimistic I can crank the mileage up another notch this week.

P.S. How was the 16 miler, Lit?

Edited: 15/09/2013 at 21:48
15/09/2013 at 22:13

Under the weather in more ways than one, presumably, as it was quite windy this morning.

16 miler was fine, though I got a horrific stitch at about 14.5 miles and had to stop and stretch properly before last mile. Half a mile of agonising side pain did make the overall average pace for the run come out looking sensible, though, at 8:05. I saw quite a few other runners out I recognised from local clubs, including yours, Bob, probably also training for Robin Hood. Also, oddly, some man was following me for a good few miles in the middle. Odd just because he stayed about 15 paces behind but there'd been no turning just before he appeared so he must have caught up but didn't overtake, then there was no obvious turning off at the point where I lost him. Perhaps he was just using my metronomic pacing as a tempo run or something.

16/09/2013 at 08:24

Sounds like he was admiring the view, Lit

Good knews on the tendon, Bob

Well done Skinny, look forward to your report

51M week including 3x2 (90secs) @ hmp Tuesday, 10 with 6@MP Friday, and 15 LSR yesterday.

16/09/2013 at 09:29

Good LSRs Lit and Mace and nice new parkrun PB Bob - seems you don't need to train at all to keep getting better!

Right my GNR report is split between pre race fiasco and race frustration.

Race starts at 10.40 and takes me 1.20 to get from Carlisle to Newcastle. So ate my monster bowl of porridge at 7.30 and set off at 7.40 arriving bang on schedule at 9am.

Walked across park to start arriving at 9.30am and looked for toilets for final pre race evacuation - joined a very long queue at 9.45am. I knew they closed the running 'pens' off at 10.30 so did wonder at this point how fast the queue would move. To cut a long story short I got more and more anxious until at 10.25 I heard the announcement that they were about to close the pens. So at number 6 in the queue for the 3 portaloos I gave up and headed to the pen wondering whether my bowels would accept my decision once the race started!

Got down the bank and there was a queue to get in so I decided they would obviously keep the pens open till we were all in. WRONG!!! Cue a bit of a panic (it reminded me of the Hillsborough disaster) as runners tried desperately to squeeze through railings to get in to the pen (we were trying to get in to C pen - once the gates close you have to go right to the back which is pen K with about 5000 runners in each pen = run ruined) - it is hard to see what I could have done differently to not end up in this position.

Anyway some people managed to get in before security charged in and tied the gap together and ushered us to the back - bearing in mind I needed to get back for my dad's 80th I got very annoyed with steward so he told me if I wanted to do the race I should shut up - I shut up.

Now knowing I had to go to the back of the race and wouldn't get to the start line for about 45 mins I decided to head back to the portaloos so I could at least race in comfort - good decision!! There is no way that would have waited till South Shields

As I started trudging to the back I noticed a crowd of runners collected beside the back of pen D - the barriers were open and as the D runners moved forward - we were able to push in - YAY I'm in the race and only got 20000 runners in front of me not 50000

10 minutes later I'm at the start line, a quick slap of Christine Ohuruoghu's hand and I'm off.

Edited: 16/09/2013 at 09:30
981 to 1,000 of 8,493 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.