Overdone it?

1,021 to 1,040 of 7,704 messages
17/09/2013 at 12:15

You know, I don't think I've ever actually met anyone called Ian. There were two in the top 10 of the Wilne 10k though, including the winner. If it's windy like today it'll hit the half marathon at around mile 4 and from miles 10-13, and you will have to settle for a marginal PB with dodgy pacing and perhaps some vomiting at the end.

17/09/2013 at 13:03

Tommy - take care with the hip

Skinny - great report. I think i'd only do something like that for the craic as i imagine it's a nightmare getting a clear run.

Lit - i mentioned the wind potential for my upcoming half a couple of pages or so back, but i'd just like to reiterate as you raised the subject.

Something that has always struck me about Farah is the amount of time he spends watching his fellow runners and how much mental energy that maybe uses. I can understand this more with the shorter distances but he seemed to be spending a ridiculous amount of time watching Bekele at the GNR whereas Haille and Bekele seemed much more content just running their own races.

Edited: 17/09/2013 at 13:04
17/09/2013 at 13:35

Vomiting would at least demonstrate that you'd tried, Lit.

As for Ians you should work here. Then you'd meet loads. We've got Ians coming out of our ears. We even had 3 of them round a 4 strong island of desks at one point. When a new starter took up the vacant 4th desk, he became an honorary Ian to some of us. One of my very early bosses was also an Ian. He was king of the world weary one liner. 'We're too busy doing the job to do the job properly,' and 'there's no such thing as milestones - only millstones' were 2 of my favourites. Most thought him a miserable bugger, but I liked him.

Erm...back on topic, I don't think any of the above Ians are currently runners, though one of them used to be a triathlete apparently. Speaking of triathletes, found out that one of my wife's friends became an age group World Champion at the ITU event in London at the weekend. Won her age category by over 5 minutes, and was quicker than the winners of the all other age groups as well. Can only assume that the Elites were doing a different course as on paper she was quicker than all of them too. 

Possibly some 400m repeats for me tonight ahead of my 1500m race next weekend. The wind is supposed to drop out by this evening, so might hot foot it down to the the rowing lake before it gets dark and do them there.

Interesting point about Farah, Mace. Possibly something he'll learn as he gets used to running the longer races?

Edited: 17/09/2013 at 13:36
17/09/2013 at 13:44

False alarm, I thought of an Ian at work. Not a direct colleague though. Everyone else where I work is called Kathryn, Katherine, Kathrin or Catherine. Only one of them is a runner though.

17/09/2013 at 13:50
Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Vomiting would at least demonstrate that you'd tried, Lit.

Didn't think of that, Bob. I was imagining the vomit being pink-glove induced.

17/09/2013 at 14:09

I did not choose to have pink gloves (actually they are black with a pink windproof mitten thing on). Lidl lied to me. When they said 'unisex running gloves & compression socks; choice of pink or yellow' what they meant was choice of normal size for people with dainty girl hands and feet (pink) or giant size (yellow). I have not worn the socks yet.

17/09/2013 at 23:22

Nice photos Skinny - I was pleased to see a few photos of you looking at your watch, I have quite a lot of those myself, glad I'm not the only one. BTW - you don't seem to be wearing 'racing' running shoes? Bet that would knock some time off.

Bob - seems it is over distance then. I think next time I do a parkrun I'll head back to Mansfield, pretty boring course (round some footy pitches) but pretty flat and usually a few quick guys from Mansfield Harriers there.

Hip felt better today, so planned 3 miler turned into just over 4 miles and hip felt fine. Hopefully it will feel the same in the morning, more physio on Thursday.

Edit: I know a few Ians, my boss is an Ian and so is one of our Directors. Neither of them are runners.

Edited: 17/09/2013 at 23:24
18/09/2013 at 00:21

My USA trip is now almost at an end and the Philadelphia half went well. 1:39:07 so a missed PR (americanism) by 21 seconds!!

First 10k in 45 minutes, felt okay if a little jaded from excessive pancakes and a delicious mega burger the day before. The wheels fell off in the second half and it delta struggle to get round. My other excuse is it was 12 degrees to start and 22 degrees to finish. However, my 10 mile pb went (74:43)  

Nice course, garmin couldn't handle the skyscrapers though. My second mile was apparently 5:57 which is nonsense. 

Think I came 1394 out of 24498 which shows the difference in quality between USA and uk. Skinny - your modest 1:32 would have been top 600 or so. But your pb would have got you much higher. 

Andrew Lemoncello was top Brit in 10th overall (64:50). I saw him doing strides in the warm up. Now its clear how fast these guys move and make it look easy miles. The winner and second place guys did it in under an hour. 

Skinny - after your GNR experience, does Ian have a pb which he may never beat?

i know one Ian. His claim to fame is he won a family holiday to Kazakhstan. Nice place  apparently. 

18/09/2013 at 09:07
Tommy2D wrote (see)

Nice photos Skinny - I was pleased to see a few photos of you looking at your watch, I have quite a lot of those myself, glad I'm not the only one. BTW - you don't seem to be wearing 'racing' running shoes? Bet that would knock some time off.

Re watch - yeah I was probably thinking - 'sh1t, still going too fast!'
Re 'racing' running shoes - I presumed they were just for proper runners? So I'm now curious as to how many of us on here have a separate pair of race shoes? Why do they knock time off and would you not have to train a little bit in them too and would that not make you more likely to get injured? (and it's not like that is not a constant battle for me already)

18/09/2013 at 09:12
Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)

My USA trip is now almost at an end and the Philadelphia half went well. 1:39:07 so a missed PR (americanism) by 21 seconds!!

First 10k in 45 minutes, felt okay if a little jaded from excessive pancakes and a delicious mega burger the day before. The wheels fell off in the second half and it delta struggle to get round. My other excuse is it was 12 degrees to start and 22 degrees to finish. However, my 10 mile pb went (74:43)  

Nice course, garmin couldn't handle the skyscrapers though. My second mile was apparently 5:57 which is nonsense. 

Think I came 1394 out of 24498 which shows the difference in quality between USA and uk. Skinny - your modest 1:32 would have been top 600 or so. But your pb would have got you much higher. 

Andrew Lemoncello was top Brit in 10th overall (64:50). I saw him doing strides in the warm up. Now its clear how fast these guys move and make it look easy miles. The winner and second place guys did it in under an hour. 

Skinny - after your GNR experience, does Ian have a pb which he may never beat?

i know one Ian. His claim to fame is he won a family holiday to Kazakhstan. Nice place  apparently. 

That's some carb loading Richard  - sounds like you have had a great time - unlucky missing the PR but sounds like you will be in good shape for the GCR.

Ian does now have a PB that he will never beat (unless of course he starts training like I did in which case he might find that he is a much faster runner than he ever thought he was like I did)

Expecting a more detailed report on all your eating challenges when you get back.

Safe travels.

18/09/2013 at 09:16

Nice unofficial pb though Richard

+1 for not having racing shoes ; i've considered it but wouldn't know what to get and would be worried about picking up injuries

What do you run in, Skinny ? Asics GT1000 here

Edited: 18/09/2013 at 09:19
18/09/2013 at 09:23

Brooks Ghost 6 - colour scheme as below

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/673230/gallery/2275573-p-multiview.jpg?width=350

18/09/2013 at 09:35

I had the same thoughts as you Skinny with regards to racing shoes. However, I was told by a fairly decent runner that they make a difference even to mid-pack runners like me. It was also suggested by the presenters on the Marathon Talk podcast it was a good idea. I have a seperate pair of lightweight trainers...http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ADI4698/adidas-adizero-mana-7-racing-shoes/ 

that I run races in and that I do faster sessions in. They are quite a bit lighter than my normal trainers (260g vs ~330g).

I can't say for sure that physically they make a difference but for me they certainly help psychologically. My parkrun time improved by ~20 seconds over about 5 weeks when I changed shoes, but I wouldn't put this totally down to different shoes!

It did take me a little while to get used to them, I started off running ~3 miles and then built up from there and used them when I did the marathon.

It's probbaly a load of ball hocks and they don't make a significant difference to average runners but during the commentary of the GNR they were discussing Mo's shoes and apparently they think it could make ~90 seconds difference to his time.

18/09/2013 at 09:49

I like to wear Saucony Kinvaras which are not marketed as racing shoes though there is probably some crossover because they are very light (175g) and quite flat (4mm drop). They make me go faster because they are yellow:

http://i2.keller-sports.com/out/pictures/z1/saucony-progrid-kinvara-2-women-citron-grn-f-rscsa032-1_z1.jpg

18/09/2013 at 09:50

Okay - interesting stuff. So lets presume the only gain is because they are lighter. And lets also presume that my clothes weigh nothing. And lets presume that the gain is because my speed is limited by the total weight my legs are having to propel round the course.

My Brooks Ghost 6 weigh 303gs. I weigh 65317gs so with my Brooks on a total of 65620 gs.

This figure would become 65577gs with 'race' shoes on.

So in theory my time could be 99.93447% of my actual time. This would change my PB for a HM from 1:29:08 to 1:29:04 - how much would those 4 seconds cost?

So I'm thinking that there must be more to it than just weight if Mo's shoes can be saving him 90 seconds and he only takes an hour! That's a reduction of more like 2.4% rather than my calculated 0.06553%.

EDIT: Cross post with Lit - I didn't take into account the benfit of colour - also those shoes are giving me a migraine so I hope we get on to the next page of posts pretty quickly!

Edited: 18/09/2013 at 09:52
18/09/2013 at 09:52

Is that 303g per shoe or altogether Skinny?

18/09/2013 at 09:56

Oh I've no idea - if it is per shoe then that would double the time saving to 8 seconds and I could be borderline sub 1:29 - still not enough of a gain to merit the expense of another pair of shoes though.

18/09/2013 at 10:01

I think it is not just the weight in terms of how much you are carrying, but also how much your feet weigh, if that makes any sort of sense. That is, if you're picking up an extra 75g off the ground with each step (weight difference between my kinvaras and brooks defyance) that feels more different to just having an extra 75g round your middle somewhere.

Edit: do you really only have one pair of shoes? I have eight, plus a spare pair of defyance I haven't worn yet and some xc spikes.

Edited: 18/09/2013 at 10:02
18/09/2013 at 10:04

That makes sense - still a bit late to be buying new shoes now so I guess I'll just have to deal with this further handicap!

Quite nice to think though that when I stop getting faster I can just buy some racing shoes and knock 90 secs off my HM PB

Edit: Yes just one - when they get wet I store them in the boiler room so they are dry for my next run. (I do keep my previous pair too but stop using them for running once I have my new pair).

Edited: 18/09/2013 at 10:06
18/09/2013 at 10:05

Well, I'll always win in the shoe weight category of top trumps as I'm a size 5.

1,021 to 1,040 of 7,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.