P + D training for VLM 2013

2,061 to 2,080 of 5,754 messages
13/02/2013 at 15:36
jf50 wrote

I know getting up at 5am is fairly mad, but so glad I have got my 14mile MLR out of the way this morning, cold but dry.

The problem for me with early mornings is that even on my nights off I am rarely asleep before 1-1.30am so even 8-9 am feels far to early to be running ...my body clock is wrecked !! I do take a week off work leading up to the VLM

Edited: 13/02/2013 at 15:38
13/02/2013 at 16:40

NN yes I can see your problem, I think I was just lucky this morning getting out in the dry when everybody else has been hit by that front coming across the country and even worse most of us are on fairly hefty MLRs

13/02/2013 at 16:44

Hi JF50, as a fellow early starter don't forget how many times you've struggled through the cold, dark rain only for the sun to come up into a clear blue sky at 7am   

13/02/2013 at 17:28

I struggle with early morning runs in the winter - all credit to some of you early risers.

13/02/2013 at 17:56
HeOw wrote (see)

NoPain - are you sure you ain't a Transformer? 

Wasn't it Ron Hill OR was it Hal Higdon who advocates the 100 mile long run rule? 

Not sure what you mean by that HeOw?

Well done to everyone who got out in the cold/rain/wind slush or snow and did MLR's Don't you just love our weather also extra well done to the Dark O'clock peeps.

15 miles done here in the warm rainlol

Guys and dolls if this is your first VLM on here the RW forums and on Fetch there is a runners supportes group. RW is at mile 15/16/ and Fetch mile 13 and 22. if you put your name down you will be put in to a group near the 21st April. Not only will they support you on the day but will supply gels/drinks for the past 3 years you have been able to drop drinks or gels off at the expo on the RW stand. I highly recommend that next month you join one or both, it's fantastic support given free from runners and will also give you an extra lift and something to look forward to.

Also the Fetch guys and RW peeps meet up in Chandos' which is behind Trafalgar square for drinks, again I would recommend this.

13/02/2013 at 18:00

NP I think transformers are robots..in disguise !!..

NP is Chandos..before or after ?

13/02/2013 at 18:22
Lol NN after it's nice to refuel and have a few beers
13/02/2013 at 18:24
Also for the first time VLM peeps all underground transport is free to runners all day of the marathon.
13/02/2013 at 18:28

Oh I shall have to get on the train home after..never mind..have one or two for me NP

13/02/2013 at 19:11
Me and my OH fly over on the Friday do the expo and normally fly home on the Wednesday, this year we are flying out to Grand Cayman on the Wednesday for two weeks on the beach what a way to recover
13/02/2013 at 19:44

Will somebody please contact P&D and tell them that a VO2Max session has no place in a "recovery" week 

I've completed this session today, and I do not feel "recovered".  In fact, I now need even more recovery than before.

NP - perhaps you should contact them on our behalf, since you clearly have a better understanding of the true definition (i.e. two weeks on a beach)?

Edited: 13/02/2013 at 19:44
13/02/2013 at 20:41

I'm another one who should have got up early and didn't, so am just back from a cold, wet, slushy 15-mile MLR in 2:08. Tried to leave work discreetly in neon yellow jacket and purple trainers, then ran 7 miles by myself, 6 with the club, and the last two the long way home. As fate would have it, at 15 miles I wasn't at my front door, but rather outside the nearby Chinese takeaway. So I went in, ordered some food for 20 minutes' time, and by the time I'd been home, changed into warm dry clothes and had a stretch, my dinner was ready. Excellent.

Glad to see that pilates now has the non-twatty NN seal of approval.

13/02/2013 at 21:33

NP - I remember reading (I think it was Ron Hill) that he said to do a marathon at your best, you need to run 5 x 20 milers (100 miles)...  So, you are another Ron Hill! 

Ha ha yes NN and chickadee, I did...  Here is the proof, it was bloody better paced than my fooking race!  Err, that will be cos I left my race on the road then.  If only I knew what I knew now!  Couple of stops for water and toilet but ran the lot of it.  Ha ha!  The week before I ran 24 miles too, with my friend, in sub zero temps, at 7pm at night.  Yes - I am insane.  I loved it though, I hate being boring now! 

HeOw's mad 26.2 on her tod 

8.35 easy miles (9:25m/m) with one of the ladies from club.  

13/02/2013 at 21:48

Oh NP did you mean the Transformer quip?!  Ha ha!  Transformers, like NN says, are robots in disguise!  You are a machine. 

13/02/2013 at 21:51
literatin wrote (see)

I'm another one who should have got up early and didn't, so am just back from a cold, wet, slushy 15-mile MLR in 2:08. Tried to leave work discreetly in neon yellow jacket and purple trainers, then ran 7 miles by myself, 6 with the club, and the last two the long way home. As fate would have it, at 15 miles I wasn't at my front door, but rather outside the nearby Chinese takeaway. So I went in, ordered some food for 20 minutes' time, and by the time I'd been home, changed into warm dry clothes and had a stretch, my dinner was ready. Excellent.

Glad to see that pilates now has the non-twatty NN seal of approval.

I love you. 

13/02/2013 at 22:02

I'm a VLM virgin as well.

HeOw, I'm the idiot that's doing London as a warmup for Edinburgh. Whether it's a good idea remains to be seen but I'm starting in the 3hr 40min pen so hopefully that combined with the congestion at London will mean that I take it nice and steady. That should (maybe) mean that I'm in a fit enough state to race Edinburgh. I thought it sounded like a mental plan but then I heard stories about mentalists that do 26.2 miles in training.

No Pain, I've already signed up to the runners group and my wife is going to be a supporter. Sounds like a good thing to do. Like you I'm making a weekend of it in London , but I'm not flying to the Cayman Islands . Sounds like a perfect way to chill after the marathon.

I'm a day behind this week so when I went out tonight I wasn't sure about whether to do yesterday's 6m recovery or just to do my 14m MLR. But as my legs were still a bit tired after Monday's 20m I quickly decided on just the 6. 

13/02/2013 at 22:05
Lit well done on the run in the slush.
HeOw and old machine that need to be oiled now and again
13/02/2013 at 22:36

Thinking back to my nightmare of a marathon in Chester last year, I ran it on the back of injury, 3 weeks of no running and my longest run during training was one 18 mile long run, wasn't going bad until around 21 miles, thought my days were ending, it was the longest 5 miles of my life, really miserable experience, crossed the line in 3:34, I could of given up running that day.

13/02/2013 at 22:51

Sounds bad Craig. Can't see it happening this time around mind.

Glad to hear everyone else has hate their 15 milers today. I have just got back from my 15 miler at 10 o clock at night. Had a few things that needed to be done after work around the house and soooooo nearly ditched the run. But I zipped up the man suit and got on with it. I think I was actually cursing Pfitz audibly for the first few miles - f**k you pfitz and your mid week long runs! Still 15 miserable miles in the bag. Done. Dusted. Ticked off!

Kudos to the early morning runners - I hate mornings so I'm sure there will be plenty of late night runs to squeeze in. Don't you just love marathon training.

Another VLM virgin. And a marathon virgin too.

P.S Literatin - I am so jealous of that Chinese right now. Think I'll have to give that a go next week! I am liking your style.

13/02/2013 at 22:58

I think most of us despise those last 5 miles Craig. I felt same at Chester too - that "hill" at Sandy Lane nearly finished me off, it just came on me at the wrong time.  You did great and you also learned a lot too.

Ziggy - I would do a marathon a few weeks before another but would run it at my recovery pace and am considering actually doing Chester before Snowdonia and pacing a friend.  Life isn't meant to be done by the book sometimes, so why not?  I ran my 26.2 in training because I really wasn't training for anything in particular, I wanted to see what it felt like to run a marathon on my own, it was a brilliant mental boost.  Only after I did that did I enter Manchester. Not the norm but then I have never been normal! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.