P + D training for VLM 2013

2,181 to 2,200 of 5,754 messages
17/02/2013 at 15:07

Men fabulous !!!! raise a glass to P&D from all of us !! 

17/02/2013 at 15:15

Nice one Mennania! Congratulations! 

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 15:16
17/02/2013 at 16:02

I managed a 1:20 at Wrexham Half, 4 minutes off personal best and 3rd in age category, so I have been told.  I was gunning for around 82 but got in with a fast bunch, just so close to going under 80, not sure on official time but I suspect its seconds.

17/02/2013 at 16:11
NN - Well done on the pb!

Men - Brilliant time, that should give you a lot of confidence for a sub 3 attempt.

Craig - awesome time! I think you could end up being the quickest person on this thread in London. I think 2.50/2.55 should be your target
17/02/2013 at 16:21

Craig brilliant !!

17/02/2013 at 16:31

Great time Craig!  Well done.

17/02/2013 at 16:36

A-MA-ZING racing  craig, Mennania and NN . Well done, I'm so chuffed for you guys. NN junior took a massive chunk of his PB. I'd be happy, no let me correct that, I'd be ecstatic if I ran a 1:33 HM!!

Lit: great 21 - and so fast too!!

mark: nice 16! Very jealous of the weather over in the UK. We had one whole degree (yes, it was +1) . Mind you, compared to the -5 and windchill of the week it felt a bit springlike. The snowdrops have come out.

I wish I was racing now ...  I have a race next Sunday but was going to use it to do my 17 with 12 @ MP (it's a 20k race, so 12 and a bit miles) which is just too perfect to miss. Besides, who wants to race 20k?? It's a stupid distance - almost a half marathon but not quite so a PB would always fell shallow.

17/02/2013 at 16:37

BOOOOOM! Well done NN, Men and Craig. All great results!

Not as interesting as racing but...I did my 16M w 12MP today. Decided to just hit my pace and to ignore heart rate for once. Averaged 6.47 for the pace section, which felt very tough from about the 5th mile in but pleased I stuck with it. Unfortunately all this was done at around 86% HRR, which is colouring outside the lines somewhat.

For those interested in beetroot juice: as an experiment I dosed up on beet-it shots yesterday and this morning and I'm pretty sure it affected me, and not in the way I expected. Basically my heart rate was higher than usual as soon as I started the MP section (86% after 2 miles) and then stayed more or less level for the whole 12 miles. Normally I see it drift upwards considerably. Not sure if this is good or bad but potentially encouraging for endurance?

Anyway, well done on the PBs today guys. Anyone racing next weekend?

17/02/2013 at 16:40

1:41:13 for me!  Gun time 1:41:26 but I am taking Garmin as my time as I was not on the front line of runners!  Saw Mennania and spoke to him twice, didn't see Craig but he beeped at me on final mile.  

Wrexham Half Garmin stats

Will post more re race later when kids in bed.  Well done everyone today.

NN cracking time for hilly course!  I got a 10 mile PB in my half today - 1:16:50!  P&D is doing it's stuff.

17/02/2013 at 16:43

Wow, that's incredible, Craig! Well done! Anyone hang around and yell swearwords at HeOw as she crossed the line?

And Al, yes, me! I am doing the Tunbridge Wells half next weekend but although I think I'm in good PB shape, I'm not convinced this is the right race for it, as the course seems to involve hills with actual names.

17/02/2013 at 16:44

Ooh, and HeOw has finally turned up! Have to admit I webstalked you on the race website to find out the result, but wasn't going to spoil it by posting your time before you did.

17/02/2013 at 16:52

Yayyyyyyyy HeOw see we knew you could do it ...have faith  in your fairy god mother.. oh do me a favour and pace me round my half in 2 weeks!!

Lit you aren't the only stalker..I wasn't going to admit it   but seeing as you have..I too had a sneaky peek....

17/02/2013 at 16:52

Hey - some great times achieved today -- well done to all of you.

My run went ok despite hangover...infact think it probably did me some good. My 16 tomorrow will be a work day, but my work is not busy at all at moment as we are still kind've between projects...plus, my boss is off all week!

17/02/2013 at 16:54

Well done HeOw! Solid pacing too.

Lit - I did Tunbridge Wells a couple of years ago. It was a good race, well-organised, country lanes, friendly etc. But it tipped it down and there was flooding in places. And yes I remember the hills... if you can PB there it would be a good sign. I also accidentally swore at Dame Kelly Holmes - she was congratulating people on the finish line and I was bent over panting and saying f&*k when she gave me my medal...

17/02/2013 at 17:18
Well done everyone on all the great PBs today. Really impressive and certainly well deserved! I did 14 miles today with a few at MP. However the bug I've had since Friday has not completely gone. I thought I would have to 'do a Paula' at one point which made it hard to concentrate on pace! For that reason, I'm glad I decided not to race. I did some of the VLM route and was reminded how tedious and grim parts of it are. But then again, that is without the supporters...
17/02/2013 at 17:18
Well done NN, Men, Craig and HeOw on the race times today . All very impressive.

Lit - well done on the 21 miles . I think gels get easier the more you use them but if you get them on your hands they are sticky for the rest of the race!

Not as impressive as you lot, I did 16 miles with 12 at MP. Very pleased as kept HR completely within target range and managed average pace 8:47 which is a good 20 secs faster per mile than my target so things are looking promising for sub 4. I'm not sure how long I could have held that but it wasn't absolutely hideous. It wasn't a completely flat route either.
17/02/2013 at 17:20
Ten - good run

15W - sounds like a not bad run . The hangover can't have been quite as bad as anticipated.

Al - well done on the mp, not sure what the pace says about the beet shots. Did you find them palatable?
17/02/2013 at 17:25

Al, are you from down that way? I don't live anywhere near Tunbridge Wells but my parents do, which makes it a nice weekend visit + race. Have you ever done the Hastings half and, if so, how do the hills compare? I did that one last year and did manage a PB, though my quads ached for days afterwards from hammering down the hills.

17/02/2013 at 17:26

Thanks all - I think we are all proof that this plan truly works.  If you look at elevation splits, you can see why my middle miles are faster and my last two a bit slower, it went slightly downhill for middle ones and slightly up for the final ones - I don't think I could have paced it any better.  I do think had this been Goal A, I would have pushed it a bit more and got a 1:40 but I had in my head to just calm down a bit as I really need to truly focus on Manchester now I have got this out of the way. I am pleased with 3 min PB and I have took my HM time down from1:57:58 in Sept 2011 to 1:41:13 in Feb 2013.  Chuffed!  I did a sprint finish which is first time ever!  I just felt so fit all around, I have been worrying that all these 9:30m/m I am putting in would be detrimental and admit my confidence level was low about it but now I know - easy running with tempos (and intervals soon) are the way to go. 

Fiona J - well done, sounds like a great run for you.  Go Caz, you too. 

Literatin - brilliant!  Love your stalking abilities! 

NN - yes you are my fairy godmother and just realised, need to message you back... 

17/02/2013 at 17:26

...and Fiona, I think 16 with 12 at MP is more impressive than a 21 mile LSR because of the pacing discipline involved. I did end up having to lick my hands and wipe them on my tights but will get more of those gels now I know I can take them.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.