P + D training for VLM 2013

2,301 to 2,320 of 5,754 messages
19/02/2013 at 15:18

Ok cool thanks Craig. Seems like the best bet to do it this way round. I'll let you know tomorrow how I get on.

19/02/2013 at 16:13

aargh - this is moving too fast for me again

Just a quick skim over the past couple of pages.

Missed HeOw's brilliant brilliant half at the weekend . Huge well done. You deffo smash 3:45. I reckon low 3:40s for sure. I ran 3:38 off a 1:38 half. As I said, if I can do it anyone can. You are younger and keener than me

Sorry to hear Pottermiss and 15w are unwell . Get well soon, guys.

3 mile recovery last night, 9 miles with strides this morning. Cold, wet, sleet, snow, I'm really getting sick of this.

19/02/2013 at 16:16

Quick skim over the last page and thanks guys for the Garmin info, I haven't used it for intervals before, well not to alert me, so will set mine up for tomorrow morning's first VO2 max run of the schedule.

19/02/2013 at 16:22

With regards to inputting the times on Garmin - I have the 405 and I've put them in both ways round at various times and it only bleeps at me when I'm too fast or too slow regardless.

19/02/2013 at 16:25

I have the 310XT, it must a certain model then as I have to put it in slow then fast, otherwise its a nightmare.

19/02/2013 at 16:53

IMHO today's session was one of the most intimidating in the program . This final LT session was 11m with 7m at threshold pace. I really didn't know if I could do it because I missed the previous LT session, so the most I had done was 5m at LT pace. I couldn't blame the weather if anything went wrong today, so it was best to just go for it.

It must have been the nerves, because I needed a loo break in the second mile – hence the slower time – before I started the threshold running. During the run I debated whether to include the hill at 4.5 miles, which I could avoid – but I didn't want HeOw shouting at me again to man-up , so I took the harder route. It was my slowest LT mile, but not by too much, and I'm pleased with how it went overall. A tough, yet enjoyable session.

Detail for the stats whores (that's me and Night Nurse ).....

My HMP is 8:46 and 15K pace is 8:16 – I aim for the latter, since I'm at the slower end of the running field. LT Heart Rate range 158-174bpm.  Mile splits were:

9:57/11:05/8:18/8:22/8:27/8:11/8:14/8:13/8:24/9:59/9:13 [avg. 8:57]

Average Heart Rate readings:

???/144/152/153/158/158/159/157/160/151/150bpm (first mile reading was nonsense max 206bpm – ) True max 168bpm.

Average pace for the LT miles was 8:19. I'll take that, thank you very much!  The heart rate readings suggest I could go faster, but it ceratinly didn't feel like I could.

I'm still debating whether to extend the forthcoming 20m run to 21 or 22 miles. I'd like to give it a go, but am conscious that I will be racing the Silverstone Half-Marathon the following week. Do you guys think it would be too much, or is a week plenty of time to recover from the LSR?

19/02/2013 at 17:06

AMAZING run, Tenjiso! Can't believe you called NN a whore, though.

I don't think 21 miles is VERY different from 20 miles... might be a nice compromise?

19/02/2013 at 18:49
Hi Ten,

Your primary goal is VLM. Thus you won't be able to do the normal taper before your half. Besides I did a pb on the 10th Feb with zero taper and doing a 21 miler the week before.

Best R
19/02/2013 at 19:19

Man, I have had a rough afternoon. All feverish etc...and all on my ownsome so no one to feel sorry for me except myself. Feeling a bit more human this evening.

19/02/2013 at 19:22

Actually, Ten, come to think of it:

a) I did an unscheduled 21-miler on Sunday and have a HM this Sunday, so we're all at it. Though I am taking it easy this week after today. SR, did you just do the whole schedule as normal  the week before your pb?

b) P&D say to leave 4 days between a long run and a tune-up race, so a week should be fine.

19/02/2013 at 19:23

15West, but we've all been feeling sorry for you virtually...

19/02/2013 at 20:07

We've all been there 15w, one too many over a weekend etc. mind you probably not when we've been marathon training

19/02/2013 at 20:09

Skim read for me - Nice tempo Ten.

Binned run today as am on sick bench with a ulcerated throat - hope it just sods off quick. Will do 10 in morning if feeling more like it

Get well soon 15w and pottermiss

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 20:10
19/02/2013 at 20:20

Thanks all...yes, maybe one too many - but to be honest feels like some sort've virus. I expect the beer didn't help though.

Ulcerated throat?! That doesn't sound very nice....

19/02/2013 at 20:21

15West, my offer of virtual sympathy was based on the assumption that it was a virus rather than just being self-inflicted.

Hope you feel better soon, Mennania.

19/02/2013 at 20:28
Hard work keeping up, for all on the sickness bench fingers crossed its not for long.
Some great LT runs done and people pushing the speed sessions. Two runs for me today first 7 miles at dark o'clock in fog and black ice so this was done at a steady pace. Second session was at work at lunch time 7 miles with 7 half mile intervals done at 5:24 pace with easy half miles at 8:20 pace in between, could have done more and a little faster so that's a good sign at this stage
19/02/2013 at 20:34

I love stats too Ten!  Well done great run - I think you will do far faster marathon than you think.  

15W - you feeling any better this evening?  I do find if I burn candle both ends in training (i.e get pissed and then do heavy training) it wastes me.  **sips wine carefree** - hopefully you are just a bit worn out and feel better after a decent sleep tonight.

Chick - thank you!  Still buzzing from it!  I know the pace isn't what some dudes do on here but to me, it was a turning point, I actually had a good confident strong race.  So heres to the rest of training and hopefully will see the benefits of the work I am putting it.  

Mennania - oh no - have you been swallowing razor blades again...?  You bloody Welsh. 

7 miles recovery at 9:35m/m for me tonight.  Felt good.  So, probably could have gone faster on Sunday... 

Going to enter Liverpool Half I think. 

19/02/2013 at 20:47

Still at work, 0-1 down, can see a few that could do with reading P&D!

Sick bench hopefully only temporary but between us I guess a few injuries/illnesses are bound to happen.

Will be running my first VO2 of the programme tomorrow, freezing fog out there at the moment so hope that clears and the roads are in good nick.  Whatever the conditions I don't think they will be at NP pace

19/02/2013 at 21:04
Hope everyone on the sick bed gets better soon. At least you get it out the way now so youll have less likelihood of being Ill for the big day.

Just got back from a 9 mile GA run with company averaging 7 min pace and it felt great. Chatted all the way through and it sailed by. Reminded me why I enjoy running. Still having a bit of a crisis of confidence and considering ditching the sub 3 target and just running to enjoy it.

And Heow - less of the welsh bashing! We've still got the rugby to come! Ha.
Edited: 19/02/2013 at 21:07
19/02/2013 at 21:14
9 mile GA for me, averaged around 7:40, quite a hilly route, felt very easy, added a few strides, not sure if I'm doing them correct as I've never done them before. But a nice early evening run in the countryside with the dog, 14 tomorrow.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.