P + D training for VLM 2013

2,401 to 2,420 of 5,754 messages
21/02/2013 at 10:14

Chris, 15W and Ten, I tend to only run the recovery runs on the treadmill because I know I will run it slow and it is a recovery on the legs from tarmac and concrete.  I normally do tempo/vo2 outside and on country roads round here so there are less disturbances from traffic, pavements, things parked where they shouldn't be etc.  When it is dark though I have to go round town and I find the sessions are probably of a poorer quality because of those things.  Also the country roads I use for those types of run are nice and flat compared to town so much easier to keep the paces consistent.

21/02/2013 at 10:19
15 haven't you recently just got a puppy?! Or this the same one?

I hate the treadmill so any run on there sounds like hell to me.

I did the vo2 session in a local park this week, it was perfect for doing fast intervals, I think the hard bit when you are doing lots of miles is finding new places to run to keep it interesting.

NN - well done on the podium finish! I missed that!
21/02/2013 at 10:39

Gosh a lot of chat on here already this morning. I've been too busy running to post

NN - well done on the prize, I don't really see you as an old biddie!

First lot of intervals out of the way yesterday. 5x 800m with 400 m rest.  Managed to keep all the intervals between 7:10 - 7:20 pace which is faster than my most recent 5k (a while ago but the heart rate stayed perfectly in the correct zone so very pleased.  They were tough, but manageable.

21/02/2013 at 11:20

mark - this is same puppy. We chose puppy back in January - but puppy stays with his mother till it's 8 weeks old; which is this sunday.

I might have to do my vo2 outside after talking to you lots!

21/02/2013 at 12:27
JF50 wrote (see)

I tend to only run the recovery runs on the treadmill because I know I will run it slow...

This is spot on.  Easy to trance and listen to podcasts, and for some reason it never feels anywhere near as slow as it would outdoors.

21/02/2013 at 12:45

This fast is getting faster in more ways than one..Godd running to all.

NN - Podiuming already! Congrats

just under 12 in just over 7.30mm last night and no hangover from Sunday. VO2 bits tonight will be done with the club on the track as best I can. The spreadsheet I am following says 9 with 6 x 800 as does my digi book. Another toe nail is hanging on by its fingertips...

21/02/2013 at 13:14

NN: congrats on coming 3rd - nice surprise

Well done all of you getting their intervals out of the way. My first lot is next week. 1200s

The tit talk made me giggle

15West wrote (see)

Chris - I think that is expected. Talking of VO2 reps - I am in two minds whether to run the reps part (or even the whole run) on a treadmill, or try and run it outside. Outside obviously has benefits in that it's harder, need more control, outside conditions etc., but treadmill has advantage of being more accurate with pace/distance.

What do people think?

I always think treadmill running is cheating ...  dunno, but the machine kind of dictates the pace for you. All you gotta do is stay on . I'm also worried about not hitting the correct pace because gym treadmills are notorious for being not properly calibrated. So you think you are going much faster than you actually are. That would kill me and my OCD .

Mennania: now I'm having a disturbing picture of a desperate toenail with tiny hands and fingers in my mind

Recovery day for me (and boy do I need it). Double day - 6am, 4pm but as usually I'm making up my own schedule and do 5 / 5. It fits better with my lunch break.

21/02/2013 at 14:26
Chick - my friends treadmill was calibrated to cock, she was doing recovery pace but treadmill had her doing a 10k PB! I hate em but see their uses and some shit hot Old School female marathoner (forgotten her name but it was mentioned on Chester thread last year) did nearly all her workouts on one as she lived in Sweden and weather too cold to train for spring marathon. Didn't stop her being a world best! One thing about them though is I need to know I can run 5k pace outside - doing it on treadmill is easier, so for me, the road for the V02 intervals. I just think some runners don't feel they are truly running unless it's outdoors.

Craig - god help you when I meet your wife, I have the verbal shites, you'll be suicidal.

Recovery day for me, nose is dripping a bit but feel fine. Weird.
21/02/2013 at 15:38
I'd be ok doing my 20 tomorrow...? It's best day for me to be honest. If I don't do it tomorrow morning, I'd have to get up 5am Sunday. In fed up of training dictating my life to that level...! My legs have been fine after Sunday's race, I'm not injury prone. Tell me it's ok FELLOW P&D obsessed runners...!
21/02/2013 at 15:42

it's ok.

21/02/2013 at 15:44

Tis strange with treadmills that people don't see them as running, set up with a bit of gradient and at the right speeds you can still push your heart rate up, in fact using heart rate is perhaps the way of getting round the calibration problem, though of course if you know how you can calibrate them.

Nobody ever thinks a workout on a turbo is not cycling, a Concept 2 isn't rowing!

HeOw, lucky it's a recovery day or your nose would be running

21/02/2013 at 15:57

JF50: If you saw me on a Concept you'll never say I was rowing .

21/02/2013 at 16:02

Chick, I bet nobody tells you to get off it and find a proper boat

21/02/2013 at 16:36

Fiona...Tough but manageable.. perfect way to describe VO2 sessions, once they become unmanageable we are going too fast and wont handle subsequent sessions, that why I stayed away from club track session this week it always get so competitive and as hard as I try to do my own thing we always end up sprinting the last 200 with lungs burning and tasting blood then I feel sh** the next day.

Treadmills have there place and are grreat f there is no alternative and done on .5-1 %  incline makes up for lack of wind resistance, and as JF50 says just use the old heart rate monitor to judge effort if in doubt..but I do find it boring and miles see to take for ever to tick away

HeOw yes get out and do the 20..anything is better than a 5 am start..glad you were well enough to do the 12, you were obvioulsy just overtired from racing .

Rest day for me, no choice really, picked the youngest grandson up at 8 and got him till 6.30 then off to work..no one else and I mean no one else except him is allowed to stop me running..

21/02/2013 at 16:56

No running again for me today. Lower part of shins felt a bit tender again this morning, so i decided to take another day of rest (albeit i'm cycling to and from work as usual, but that's only 5 miles each way). I'm hoping that i'll be much better tomorrow and will have avoided causing further damage.

21/02/2013 at 18:13
Hi Chris,

Yes I did do the 800s after the 9 mile warm up. I thought everyone did?
I do the ga run on my normal route then run up and down a half mile straight near my house for the 800s.
Then do an extra half mile warm down and home.
21/02/2013 at 18:17

Bah. I'm still at work and I haven't been for my run yet and now it's DARK.  Think I will just go for a nice gentle 6-mile recovery run along the river with my torch.

AG, be careful; hope it's just a residual ache from the massage/physio.

21/02/2013 at 18:23

12m MLR done and dusted.  How cold was that frickin' wind?   I should have gone a bit slower in my earlier miles, but it was too damn cold to be going slow!  I hope the wind has gone before Saturday in time for my longest run of the schedule.

HeOw - you probably mean Ingrid Kristiansen (Norwegian) who set the (then) world record 2:21:06 in the 1985 London Marathon after doing most of her workouts on the treadmill. [Just call me "Statto"]

Mind you, it was only the London Marathon - which everybody knows is flatter than the flattest treadmill   Brighton, on the other hand.....

21/02/2013 at 19:50
SR- I just build the 800s into the middle of 9 miles overall. Otherwise I'd be looking at running 14 miles which would be too much for me doing a 'session'. I doubt id be able to do 6 or more 800s as fast as id want after running 9 miles first. Be interested to see what others do?
21/02/2013 at 19:57
Again lots of great running going on and lots of reading back, HeOw hope your feeling better and the 20 tomorrow goes as planned. liked the discussion on the Vo2 max/slow running on the treadmill. Where I live I need to run up and down hills for a few miles before I find somewhere flat so I like the dreadmill for both half mile intervals and tempo/LT runs. Today I did 7 miles at dark o'clock and then at lunch time at work I did a 7 mile run on the treadmill with it set at 1% incline with splits of 8:20 6:11 6:11 5:56 5:56 5:56 6:40.
I also think that it adds to confidence so why not use it? and if you know what that pace feels like on the road you should know what it feels like on the treadmill. That's my six pennies worth on the subject

Ten Statto nice MLR
Lit enjoy your run in the dark.
AG hope your shins feel better soon.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.