P + D training for VLM 2013

2,421 to 2,440 of 5,754 messages
21/02/2013 at 20:19

Ten - yep, that's the one who I meant!  So, treadmill works then - like I said, I think people tend to run outside for the love of running, treadmill is just there as a necessity, my friend uses hers when it is too hot to run outside (she lives in Perth) and I will utilise gym one in the summer if same happens here but how often do we have a bloody summer...?! 

Thanks NP - I may do 22 if I feel good...! Channel my inner fire"fighter".  

I have set up my first JustGiving page up today - what a fooking faff that was.  I am raising funds for Cystic Fibrosis Adult Centre in Wythenshawe Hospital, I was asked by a fellow Helsby RC runner if I would take her place (she is a physio and does a lot of work for them) as she is injured, I felt I should, it takes nothing really to do yer bit for Charidee.  If anyone wants to donate...  here's my link!  (shameless!) 

http://www.justgiving.com/Helen-Owens

Edited: 21/02/2013 at 20:20
21/02/2013 at 20:32

Well, if it's good enough for NP it's certainly good enough for me! Think my VO2 reps will be on a treadmill tomorrow (might run 4 miles outside beforehand).

Ahhh...HeOw = Helen Owens    makes note in stalker notebook

Edited: 21/02/2013 at 20:34
21/02/2013 at 21:51

Ha, 15West, you're a total amateur stalker compared to me and NN, we knew that already!

I do my speedwork outside as I'm lucky enough to live near lots of waterways with flat, straight paths alongside. I was totally unenthusiastic about running this evening, as I'd been at work for 10 hours and it was bloody cold on my cycle home. But it was actually gorgeous outside doing a nice easy pace. In the off-road bit everything was totally still and deserted, and I didn't see anyone except a heron.

And HeOw - oh, go on then, just because we finally got to see a picture. *gets stalker scrapbook out*

21/02/2013 at 22:07

Literatin - is that "Katie" you who has donated?  If so, thank you so so much!  If not, you mingebag... 

Edit:  15West - thank you also!  Helping fellow Mancs!  You are both superstars. Very touched. 

Edited: 21/02/2013 at 22:14
21/02/2013 at 22:15

Might have been... though I might just be saying that to avoid looking like a mingebag.

21/02/2013 at 23:31
Surrey Runner, can 9 miles ever be classified as a "warm up"? I know everyone on this thread is well hard but even so...

Did 12 miles MLR tonight. The cold wasn't so bad after all and I think the wind was behind me for once.
22/02/2013 at 08:25

Morning all, shifted Saturday again to this morning.  Saturdays are a problem for me, often a working day and when I get a free one we try to make the most of it, though shopping at Bluewater tomorrow may not seem like that!

Out of the door at 5.20am for my 8 miler with 8x100m strides, still bloomin cold here but nice and dry.  Did the strides at about mile 6 when I was in an industrial estate with a nice straight, flat bit of road, 4 street lights for each and jog back, amused a couple of people out of one of the units having a fag!

Recovery week this one so just a short 14 mile run for Sunday, bliss.

22/02/2013 at 08:36
I'm coughing again - where's the flaming justice...!!? Just going to have to drop the 10 with 6 at LT.(which I was planning to anyway) and do recovery pace. I don't feel ill, just sniffly and dry cough, not hacking like last time.

JF50 - nowt more better than feeling smug having done your workout at crack of dawn, but also getting fresh air into your lungs whilst people watch killing theirs off. I hate smoking, I'm an ex smoker - the worst kind...

Go Caz, well done on 12 miler.
22/02/2013 at 09:51

HeOw, I thought you were going to do 20 today?  Probably not a good idea if coughing, so you probably right to take it easier.  I do love how 10 miles is considered an "easy" run when in the midst of the schedules - most people never run that far per week!

Ten, I know what you mean about the weather, 12m MLR was great until I turned into the wind - my nose and top lip were numb for a few miles

Go Caz, well done on completing it too. 

NP, Every time I see you splits they amaze me! I'd love to be able to run as fast as you over just a mile, never mind the distance you cover.

Lit, do you cycle far in your commute?  Just concidentally, I saw a few of my colleagues cycling on the way in this morning and I was glad I'd stopped doing it as I don't think I could do it on top of the P&D training.

22/02/2013 at 10:01

Well done to everyone on the icy cold 12-milers. I'm annoyed about the cold because there's only a bloody forecast for snow this weekend. Should have gone for Brighton half last weekend rather than Tunbridge Wells this Sunday.

Stutyr, no, it's only about a mile and a half up the road. I'm not a 'proper' cyclist, I have a 3-speed with a big wicker basket! But I don't drive, so e.g. I have to cycle the 5.5 miles to get to my weekly pilates twatfest. I don't do massive long bike rides on top of the P&D though.

22/02/2013 at 10:06

HeOw - take it easy. Ok to run with a cough as long as stays above chest.

Surely this is the last blast of cold of the winter....surely....

I cycle into work - when I bother going in anyway! Only live 4 miles away though so a good distance; and I actually think it helps with recovery a bit as gets blood circulating round those legs. Cycling home after a tough lunchtime session not easy though.

Got my 6x800 VO2 intervals today...still undecided where to do them. I will start running outside and if coast is clear on part of my route I'll attempt them outside, otherwise I'll head to gym and do them there. I work opposite a gym which I am a member of; but mainly just use it for its changing rooms and shower.

22/02/2013 at 10:27
Yeah stutyr, kind of realised doing 20 would not be a good idea, will get up Sunday morning - I'll have to be back by 10am so 6pm is ok to get up. Gives me more rest after Wrexham too.

Literatin - do you have a little Terrier like 15W to put in da basket of ya rock n roll bicycle...?
22/02/2013 at 10:56

Flexible planning HeOw, just a bugger having to get up on a Sunday at 6am.

Lit I'm loving the basket on the bike image, sort of country feel to it, are you married to the local vicar?

15w agree, I thought it was the law that when it starts to get lighter they have to turn the heating up at the same time!

22/02/2013 at 11:36

I'm another one hoping that this is the last of the coldest weather. I had ditched the tights for the last week or so, but had to admit defeat and pull them back on for last nights recovery run - 8 miles at 8.min pace (just because I love a bit of symetary!).

I've got a stag do this weekend that I could do without so I'll be forcing myself to get out for 12 miles before i leave tonight. I might have to forgo Saturday's planned 8 mile GA, but hope I'll be in a good enough state to do a 20 miler on Sunday night when I get back. Its annoying having life getting in the way of marathon training!

22/02/2013 at 11:41

my legs feeling pretty fresh today, hopefully the couple of days off should have helped. i'll try my med long run later, although probably not all 14 miles of it. i plan to take it very easy and see if i can do about 10 of it, then see how i feel. a light recovery jog on grass tomorrow (perhaps 4-5 of the planned 6) then hopefully make my 16mi long run on Sunday. If all goes well i won't have lost that much running this week, and should be back on track by the start of next week.

22/02/2013 at 11:50

Pushed for time this morning, so I did a quick 4m recovery on the treadmill.

Tomorrow morning's forecast is more cold wind and... snow..... again   I should buy some hand warmers, because that's where I suffer the most on these runs - even with two pairs of gloves!

22/02/2013 at 12:02
Chris, if I was going on a stag night I wouldn't be running for about a week afterwards, certainly not the next day anyway!

I was hoping I could ditch the lycra pants too but I think I might even need to race in them this weekend which will look embarrassing on the race photos.
22/02/2013 at 12:23

Yeah, I'll probably be racing in tights too... and maybe even a long-sleeved top under my unflattering club vest. I'm just hoping the roads won't be icy.

And I am not married to any vicars at all, nor do I have a dog to put in my basket (yet). But if I did it'd look like this.

22/02/2013 at 12:40

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/306733/gallery/vwb.jpg?width=350

22/02/2013 at 12:50

I was thinking of something more like this:

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/699204/gallery/stock-photo-woman-next-to-her-bicycle-with-her-dog-in-the-basket-91971188.jpg?width=350

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.