P + D training for VLM 2013

261 to 280 of 5,754 messages
11/11/2012 at 21:04

Ran 12.5miles today at a very easy pace, I stopped the clock at 1:41 which includes stopping multiple times waiting for a green man to cross roads.  Felt like I could run that pace for a long time so quietly confident of a decent time ahead of my half marathon on Saturday.

33.5miles (0-5-6-0-5-5-12.5) for me this week which is my highest weekly mileage to date.Still building up to the mid 40's before hitting P+D 18/55 in December! 

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 08:52
12/11/2012 at 09:43

Keir - thanks, so it's basically about keeping and exaggerating form at speed but not running flat out

Also ran - thabkyou, that's done the job, all seems to be working ok now

15.8M yesterday am @ 9:07 @ 70% max. Felt very solid which i suspect is the benefit of doing 2 mid-week 10milers (Tues/Fri) and HR only starting to edge towards 75% in the last couple of miles, though they were uphill.

Week total 52.9M  my first 50

12/11/2012 at 10:48

Haven't checked here for a few days - loads of good running and training chat!

I took in the first 7 miles of VLM route as part of my 20M LR yesterday. Much more undulating than I'd expected. Also there was a killer hill just before Greenwich Park but luckily that's not part of the course...

My recurring ITB pain is back today, think it might be from the downhill sections - most of my training is on the flat.Time for the foam roller and boring glute strengthening exercises...

Incidentally - what do people think of the lack of emphasis on hill training in P&D? The last schedule I did had a hill repeat session most weeks.I think P&D say you should more or less mimick the terrain of your marathon in training.

12/11/2012 at 11:02

Al: Ditto! Have you tried an IT band compression strap? It doesn't really resolve the problem but it reduces the friction allowing you to train without the pain. I spent yesterday evening laying on my bed watching MOTD and doing my rehab exercises.

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 11:02
12/11/2012 at 11:51

Welcome Ziggy and Pottermiss

Nice running Ship-star

Well done Mace - good total and a great run at low HR. Strides are good - short enough to be alactic, so you don't 'spoil' the aerobic build-up (Lydiard)

Al take care.  I must admit that I'm going to add hill work this time - my Hadd HR training tends to make me stick to the flat in search of constant HR/pace improvement, and I found that at the end of the last mara it wasn't my heart/lungs that was the issue - I need bigger legs. So hills it is...

---

Knee still an issue, so am taking a couple of more days off...

12/11/2012 at 13:10

Tek - how long did you take off after Frankfurt and what mileage have you done since ? You have loads more experience than me so i'm sure you know what you're doing but i was surprised how much my half took out of me, i'd absolutely be looking at 2 weeks off after a full

Is your HR back to normal yet ?

Hope a few more days sees you right.

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 13:11
12/11/2012 at 13:44

mace I'm on the P&D recovery plan -p.178 - so 5 weeks of 15/24/31/36/41.  HR still elevated (but that's ok, HR training means you just run more slowly until your body's 'ready').  I took 3 days off, but maybe it should have been more...

12/11/2012 at 17:12

Re the hills I am guessing that all the training the authors did was in perfect locations which isn't what most of us have to train with. I could have a nice flat area to train if I didn't mind doing repeats along the high street but once away from there it is lots of either long slow inclines or short sharp ones.  Trail running through the winter has drawbacks with mud etc. so I think most people have to adapt the plans slightly for their area.

By adding another day and starting to take my long run to 13+ I have hit the 40+ a week now so sort of on schedule for the 18/55 plan, with inclines

12/11/2012 at 20:20

Hi all,

Planning to do the P+D for Vlm, not sure of what mileage but will probably need to be closer to the 70 than the 55. Enjoying reading the posts of peoples experience and hopefully put some of my own up soon.

12/11/2012 at 21:57

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/clubhouse/rw-forum-six/231845.html

Just seeing if there is any interest in these parts. Think it over - can you mentor? do you want to a mentor?

What does anyone think, maybe you are getting enough support here anyway?

Than you for listening.

13/11/2012 at 01:16

Another nice 11.2 miles in 1.43 ...really enjoying these longer 70% runs feels so easy at this pace now

I have no choice and have to run hills where I live but try to keep HR down and am finding it easier to avoid it drifting over 71-72% when running them and its great to see it drop to mid 60s when running down them and on to the flat again.

VLM isnt a hilly route so I don think there is need for hill training as such...I did Snowdonia marathon a few years ago and did lots of training for that over Dartmoor looking for the biggest longest hills I could and boy am I glad I did ..I did Snowdonia in just under 4.30 loved it and would like to do it again .

13/11/2012 at 09:13

The last time I followed P&D (2007) I tended to do the medium long and long runs on hilly-ish routes, but then again I live in Bristol and so flat running routes are few and far between!  More seriously, I think doing steady running on the hills does really help with leg strength, especially if (like me) you don't do leg weights.

13/11/2012 at 11:52
Joolska wrote (see)

The last time I followed P&D (2007) I tended to do the medium long and long runs on hilly-ish routes, but then again I live in Bristol and so flat running routes are few and far between!  More seriously, I think doing steady running on the hills does really help with leg strength, especially if (like me) you don't do leg weights.

I agree - turning to XC on the "off" season is really helping my strength, which is a definite weakness in my case!

14/11/2012 at 12:57

That's my book finally been delivered. I'm looking forward to reading it but think I've already decided that I'm going to do the "Up to 55 Miles Plan".

55 miles is more than I've ever done in a week but I'm been slowly upping my mileage in preparation. 33 last week & 23 so far this week.

14/11/2012 at 14:05

sounds good, Ziggy. I'm sure P&D will have you run a great marathon. Your 5 and 10k times suggest there's quite a bit of talent

14/11/2012 at 18:52
chickadeee wrote (see)

sounds good, Ziggy. I'm sure P&D will have you run a great marathon. Your 5 and 10k times suggest there's quite a bit of talent

Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't say I have 'talent' but since the Edinburgh Marathon I've enjoyed focussing on 5ks and my PB has improved quite a bit.

It'll be interesting to see how much it has helped on the longer runs but I am worried that I haven't done anywhere near enough miles.

16/11/2012 at 12:18

Started my HR training today, just been for a 5 mile run at 140bpm found it bloody hard to run at that pace, it felt really slow. It took 48 mins.

Just guessed my MHR rate as i'm not doing it on the track till tonight, once i've got my real MHR how long should i run at this -50 for before i do some different sessions ?

16/11/2012 at 14:22

ashman - presuming you're going to use an 18 week schedule, you've got about 4 weeks before P&D tell you what to do.  So in this "base building" stage I'd just run a mixture of runs at either 75%max or 70%max (and make those limits a ceiling rather than an average).  The more miles you do at a deeply aerobic pace, the better...

16/11/2012 at 15:16

Cheers Teknik thanks for the advice !

16/11/2012 at 21:22

11.5 miles in 1.45 all well under 70% tonight..I really had to fight with my competitive nature when a rather large chap mid 20s with wobbly lurrrrve handles puffed and panted past me (obviously running at 110% ) I wanted to shout out "I am a granny running at my lowest possible heatrate you arent THAT good MR "

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.