P + D training for VLM 2013

3,201 to 3,220 of 5,754 messages
13/03/2013 at 08:59

JUst popping in to say - I am now no longer a runner and am now a "spinner".  Running is for pussies.    

Chris - you'll be ok, just make sure you are sensible with recoveries etc and don't go mad with pace on the longer runs which don't have MRP mileage in them.  

Potter - you weren't running fast enough, obviously! 

I am aching all over from my circuits class and spinning session last night.  Jesus, I couldn't wait for the spinning to be over, it was like running a 10k!  I staggered out of the class, my legs were like jelly.  Off out in an hour to do my 12 miler OR if I feel ok and foot plays ball, will do the 11 with 7 at LT.  NOT looking forward to that.  Feel tired so will decide after mile 2-3 what session to do. 

13/03/2013 at 09:01

HeOw, when I had the achilles thing I did x-biking and have never sweated so much in my entire life.

13/03/2013 at 09:42

AG, congratulations!

HeOw, good luck with the run - it was frustrating enough missing two sessions on the weekend, so I don't know how you've coped with the foot problem!

Ten, thanks for the info on why it changes each week, I'd looked at the Sunday runs and couldn't see a link, hadn't thought about the Saturday ones!

JF50, I'm the same as you - up early this morning for 9m with 5x 1000m.

I do them on pace, so target was 6:20 min/mile and hit them spot on.  Times in Garmin are

3:51, 3:56, 3:56, 3:56, 3:57

First interval was about two-thirds downhill so although its faster the effort was lower - ran at 6:10 min/mile as that was the fastest speed in target range, so stopped the watch beeping at me.  The next three had a range of 0.16 second between them.  On the final one, I was one second off target pace with 0.05 mile to go and just couldn't recover it - which I'm taking as a good sign that the pace was spot on for the session as I dont think I could have gone any faster.

Feeling very smug at achieving the consistency, especially as previous weeks' intervals have been very haphazard. Even noticed that three of the five recovery periods were exactly the same time as I'd set them up as 0.38 miles so that each interval + recovery equalled one mile, so I wasn't monitoring the time for them. 

13/03/2013 at 10:09

Now that is what you call conistent Stu. Excellent stuff. Funny you also mention how last week's intervals were much tougher. I felt the same and reallly struggled even though they were 800's, wheres the 1ks seemed much better (dare I say easier) last night. Very strange.

13/03/2013 at 10:15

Vo2 max curse has struck again - I have done something to my low abdomen/groin/adductor - it popped up on last nights 14m run. Think a day or twos rest and rice is in order.

13/03/2013 at 10:17

Oh and Good work AG!!

13/03/2013 at 10:31
Nightmare.

This marathon training would be easy if we weren't all getting injured so much!
13/03/2013 at 10:43

Don't mention the 'I' word Mark!

woo hoo - I finally have an avatar too - only had to wait about a month!
13/03/2013 at 11:17

Hello all. 15mi for me today...but for some reason I find myself alone with a chew crazy puppy who about 15 minutes decided to do a big dump in the hallway. I might take him with me and dump him in the local river.

Good luck with that injury Mennania.

13/03/2013 at 11:24

now he's fallen asleep on my foot.

13/03/2013 at 11:29

That's handy.  it will make it easier for you to volley him into the river! 

13/03/2013 at 12:16

I'm a little late to the party but Congratulation AG! 

Nice intervals from lots of people. Stutyr - yours are ridiculously consistent. Bravo.

Looking good Chris!

Menn - hope that rest sees you right 

Can't say I feel like joining in with this talk of this week's VO2max feeling easy. Did my 5 x 1000m this morning and I actually felt like giving in around 200m into the second one. Legs still feeling really heavy since the half 10 days ago. I managed all 5 in the end but don't know how. Paces:

5:54, 5:46, 5:57, 5:52, 6:03 

So I'm pleased I got the session done but can't help feeling I'm on the brink of overtraining. Considering taking the next 2 days off as I really want to feel good for Sunday's 18 w 14MP. What to do: listen to my body or man up?

13/03/2013 at 12:34
Al, I would still do the runs but maybe run them slower than normal.

The 18 with 14@mp is going to be a tough session but if you can nail that whilst a bit fatigued you know that you're almost ready for the big day.

It's normal to be tired this close to the race but you'll know your body better than anyone, if you feel like you might be risking an injury a rest might not be a bad idea.
13/03/2013 at 12:58

I personally would do a bit of both Al. Maybe try the mid week MLR run (but at a slow pace if you are not up to it) and then maybe ditch the recovery runs if you are really feeling bad. The MP run is the big one.

13/03/2013 at 13:19

AR I agree that these VO2 runs are not easy, so satisfying when you finish them. I found the first one the toughest, middle 3 seemed ok and then the last one tough again. Tough call on the dropping runs, but the 14 at MP is definitely the concentration for the rest of the week

Good running Stutyr with yours, about 40 seconds faster miling than mine.

15W love the hard man soft man approach with the dog.

Men hope the ice sorts it.

Lit, next time perhaps I'll go for the next level, perhaps when I retire and have enough time, respect to all of you getting those miles in, probably another 2+ hours running a week over the lower level

13/03/2013 at 14:20

Thanks for your thoughts Mark, Chris, JF50. I've got a rest day tomorrow (55 schedule) so I'll see how I feel on Friday. The 18/14 session is a massive one for me as I need to get it done convincingly to give myself enough confidence to stick to the sub3 attempt. I've found all the MP stuff so far really tough and my heart rate has been beyond the limits, so I'm hoping I might see some improvement this time.

13/03/2013 at 15:20

My schedule is pretty mixed up this week.  I did 12m MLR today.  I actually overdressed for this one, because I didn't realise that it was relatively warm (compared to yesterday).  At least the buff was usefull to strap the unwanted gloves and cap to my arm   Felt a bit tired and can feel it in my quads today, so I suppose that's the VO2max session catching up with me.  Rest day tomorrow.

Al - I'm pretty convinced I'm not running my VO2max sessions fast enough and should have been feeling more like you!  I think the 18/14 MPR is the final really scary session, so I hope we both nail it this weekend.  I know what you mean about the MP runs feeling so tough.  However, I found the threshold pace runs up to 7m very tough - and yet still managed to hold a similar pace for the half-marathon, so I'm hoping for the same effect in the marathon!!!  I don't understand why the same pace in racing doesn't feel as hard as in training?? 

13/03/2013 at 15:30

Hi, I hope someone can help me before I go out.  I have 1200m repeats x 5 and in the book it says run them at 5K race pace.  How do you accurately know your 5K race pace. My latest race was a half marathon and I finished in 1:20:39, what am I to put in my Garmin for the 1200m intervals, I don't want to get it wrong and train to slow or too fast, any help would be appreciated.

13/03/2013 at 15:40

Hi Craig, I haven't raced a 5k either so I used www.mcmillanrunning.com, which gives me a pace of 6.09 and you 5.36. Your HM pace is my estimated 5k pace. 

13/03/2013 at 15:46

I was looking at that, just on the training paces section it says Stamina Paces - Tempo Intervals 5:47 - 6:01, I think I will go with the 5:36 though, thanks Lit.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.