P + D training for VLM 2013

3,621 to 3,640 of 5,754 messages
23/03/2013 at 21:06

Thats it...you may as well defer !!

23/03/2013 at 21:08

Yeah, and it's all your fault: look what you said:

Night Nurse wrote (see)

Lit those cold baths must work, think about it, it just icing but a bigger area. May be wise to leave the MP run though I agree,

23/03/2013 at 21:11
I'm deferring if Lit is!
23/03/2013 at 21:13

You're on, Mark, let's just spend all day in the pub watching the others on telly.

23/03/2013 at 21:31
Sounds good I'm sick of running anyway
23/03/2013 at 22:16
HeOw - the amount of running I do with parkrun varies according to what I'm supposed to do. Sometimes I run there and back and do parkrun at GA pace. Sometimes get public transport there and back, sometimes run one way. I don't think I've raced a parkrun for about 6 months as I've always been marathon training. I should have raced today but the weather wasn't exactly conducive and besides I ran 11 miles last night.

Lit - I'm not sure I can class what I did last week as 18 with 14@MP.

Best of luck to all the racers tomorrow.
24/03/2013 at 08:01
Good luck to everyone racing and long running today.

Just got out of bed after snoozing my alarm for an hour and a half heading out for 20 miles this morning.

4 weeks to go!
24/03/2013 at 09:20
After spending the last 3 days shi**ing myself, I am up and about to also make up for lost time with a 20 miler. I have worked my route out to go passed every public convenience that I can think of!
24/03/2013 at 09:35

LOL Chris   good luck

22 planned for me today. Wind has improved on yesterday. Bright, sunny, still a bit windy and freeeezing (-8 this morning)   brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Al runs: impressive 10k debut

NN: excellent solo effort. You put me to shame. After they cancelled my race last Sunday I lost my mojo to attempt a 10k on me own . I hate them anyway - they HURT!

Lit: I'm probably fcked as well - have done very few of the scheduled MP sessions due to shite weather ... why is it that on the day of a race or an important workout there is always ice or snow in winter ??  Not sure I'm going to bother with a spring mara again. Autumn racing is so much nicer coz you have the lovely summer mornings for training

24/03/2013 at 09:50

Re. the missed mp run, I'm trying to work out when to do it in the programme. I don't want to sacrifice my last proper long run next Sunday and had wanted to do 22 rather than the 20 in the schedule. Maybe put some mp miles (but maybe not 14) in there? Or I could do it the week after, so 2 weeks to race day, when there's a 17 scheduled anyway - would that be too close to the marathon?

Good luck to everyone racing today! Or indeed running at all. I'm off to climb ropes for 5 hours and already feel knackered just thinking about it.

24/03/2013 at 09:52

PS: chick, totally agree about the autumn mara if I can ever be arsed to do another one. Also my job's way more flexible with timing in summer, which makes it even more thick of me to have decided to train all winter instead.

24/03/2013 at 10:21

Lit- I have been scuppered with my 18/14mp run, but I was thinking of going 20 with 12 next week and 17 with 8-10 the following week to compensate.

Good luck Chris

Hope Wilmslow is a good run for you all.

Nothing for me yesterday but 4 hours digging out drive. Treating it as x training.

HeOw - You know how it is overhere then, I am on the side of hope mountain by Cymau and I reckon we have got it pretty bad compared to most. Walked down to the village yesterday and they only had a foot or so, but to get to the road I was upto my thighs. Sick of it now.

24/03/2013 at 12:02
For those that haven't done the long MP run I'd do it next week, I think it's more important than a 20/22 mile LR.

I wouldn't do it 2 weeks from the race because its too close, I think it's planned 5 weeks out from the race for a reason.

It's getting close to the point now where the risks of doing a hard run will outweigh the benefits.

Just my opinion of course you'll know yourselfs how long it takes to recover.
24/03/2013 at 12:51

Had a 10k mud bath at Richmond along the tow path yesterday for my scheduled race.  Slow time of 39 41, but that included a tumble, running into heacy sleet and was very much 'off road'. Came 7th out of 600 or so. 

Used the clubs 20 mile organised marathon training run this morning as my MP run from last week.  Did the 20 miles at 6.42 pace.  Not bad considering it was 0 degrees 12 mph wind and 171m of elevation gain.  Feeling more confident for London now.

Edited: 24/03/2013 at 12:54
24/03/2013 at 12:58

Hello all - just back from Wilmslow Half. Was cold out there, and the wind was a killer for last 5 or so miles of the race. Still, got a PB of 1.21.37 and feeling pretty pleased with myself.

Hope all your runs/races ok out there. Lit, why don't you do 22 next week and keep increasing pace until run at MP for last 8 or so miles.

24/03/2013 at 13:00

Last night I was doubting the wisdom of running 20m in the snow this close (3 weeks) to the marathon. I considered a number of options, such as running slower for less distance to have the time on my feet. This morning I got myself out the door at 7:15am with the promise to myself that I could cut the run short and finish off on the treadmill (e.g. run 12m outdoors and 8m on the treadmill). I thought that would make it easier on the knees.

The first mile was like an ice rink, before deeper snow along the trail made footing more secure. I was surprised how clear some of the country roads were once I got around five or six miles out of town, so I decided to carry on while the going was relatively good. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't as hard as I had been expecting. Needless to say I turned around to come back at ten miles 

I knew it was going to be tough in the last few miles, so I decided to run my MP+10% miles earlier in the run as best I could in the conditions. My target pace range is 10:48 to 9:54, and my actual splits were as follows:

10:52/10:47/10:32/10:52/10:34/10:19/10:19/10:11/10:48/10:25
10:11/9:50/9:48/10:05/9:59/9:59/9:53/10:18/10:42/10:39

The final few miles, and in particular mile nineteen, rank among the toughest of any of my training runs! The cold headwind added to the challenge coming up the incline. Still, it was job done! The Oakley 20 may well have been cancelled today, but I have earned that hoodie!

Another 52 miles in the bank this week, and now it's time to TAPER!!!!!!! 

24/03/2013 at 13:18
literatin wrote (see)

Yeah, and it's all your fault: look what you said:

Night Nurse wrote (see)

Lit those cold baths must work, think about it, it just icing but a bigger area. May be wise to leave the MP run though I agree,

I didnt mean skip it forever you were complaining of a niggle...Mens solution seems good, do 12 next week. I would think that a quality run would be better than a slow 22.

Edited: 24/03/2013 at 13:19
24/03/2013 at 13:57

Surrey Great time in tough conditions

15W The is an amazing PB, especially in that weather

Ten Very impressive 20 miles, especially knowing it was going to be tough at the end

I ran 13 with middle 10k as a "race", I knew it wasn't going to be good, and I was correct. I gave up mentally after four miles. Still it is now ticked in the box.

24/03/2013 at 15:08

15West fantastic PB and great running in these conditions well done mate.

Mark hope the 20 went ok.

Fiona well done on last nights 11 miles.

Chris hope your 20 went ok as well.

Chick -8 good luck with the long run bloody Baltic here as well.

Surry thats a fantastic 20 mile run at 6:42 pace looking good for well under 3hrs.

Ten great running in the conditions and well done up the hill at the end.

Scooby well done on the 13 miles with a 10k in the middle.

Just over 19 miles for me with 7 miles faster than MP,  was going to do 22 but the last 5 miles into the wind made my mind up for me, running at 7:40 to 7:50 pace felt like MP effort so turned for home and a hot shower.

24/03/2013 at 15:17

Excellent racing 15W and Surrey Runner .

Hope everyone survived their long runs today. Did 22.15 and it was hell. The feckin' wind picked up again and was almost as bad as yesterday. To sum it up it was 11 miles of hell and 11 that were just about bearable. I thought I would speed up on the tailwind sections but I had nothing left . Oh well, just one of them shit runs that we all have some time. At least it was time on legs and miles in the bank.

NP: well done for managing your long run with 7 miles faster than MP!

Ten: great long run from you as well

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.