P + D training for VLM 2013

3,641 to 3,660 of 5,754 messages
24/03/2013 at 15:39
Got a 1:21:49 in wilmslow, very happy with that considering the wind,, the run felt comfortable until around mile 8, found that hard, then picked it back up again, wasn't chasing a PB today, wind was too hard, very happy with my performance. Thanks goes to HeOw to coming over the border this morning to get me. 15W good run, it was tough wasn't it.
24/03/2013 at 15:42
15W - well done on the PB in those conditions.

Surrey and NP - excellent running in those conditions.

Ten - well done for even trying to get out.

We still have no snow so just Baltic and very windy. 20 miles done in 3:03 something. That was an average pace of 9:10/ mile with average HR 162. That pace is actually my pace for VLM. I've been doing all the long runs using HR so is no idea of pace until finished. It felt not too bad and I could have gone further especially if not so windy. HR range for run 153-170 so HR not even at the top end of range.
24/03/2013 at 16:15
Amazing times posted guys. Craig.15w and sr I think from reading back?

I forced myself off my sickbed/toilet for probably my worst run in a long time. 20 miles was shortened to 19 because it was so horrendous. Throw in a couple of toilet breaks and it really was a shit run - quite literally. Legs felt heavy and never warmed up. Whatever bug ive had has hit hard. Hoping that's the end of it though and will try to get a long 22 in next week to try and get the confidence back. I had a feeling I had peaked too soon.

NN - it's sounds like you had a tough day too. I think we can write it off as a bad day at the office - no need to panic just yet I hope?!

But gutted not to race a 10k today, but I really wasn't up to racing. And I'm struggling to find any 10ks within a reasonable distance next weekend. Am contemplating a 200 mile round trip just to crack a 10k pb so all this training isn't wasted!
24/03/2013 at 16:18
Brilliant running everyone today!

SR, with a 20 mile run like that you should be well on course for Sub 3.

15w, great time in the bad conditions, wonder if you could break 80mins on a good day?

Craig, Ten, NP and Fiona well done!

Forgot to say earlier I ran 20 miles in 2.37 the wind was horrible but 20 miles feels quite easy now which is a good sign.

Just looked back and my longest four runs are 20,20,22 and 22 so another 22 next week should round things off perfectly.
24/03/2013 at 16:30

Craig - well done, I came in 2 places behind you!

Well done everyone else also...some strong running going on some nasty conditions.

24/03/2013 at 16:33
Craig that's another great half marathon time well done looking good for sub 3hrs.
Fiona great 20 miles into the bank
Chris well done on the 19 miles you will feel a lot better when it's out of your system and we still have 4 weeks to go you will be fine.
Mark another 20 into the bank.
24/03/2013 at 16:41

Some great efforts today in godawful conditions.

SR - nice 20m time, no wonder you're feeling confident.

15W & Craig - congratulations on a great times in tough conditions at Wilmslow.

Scooby - it's the tough ones that make us stronger! Well done.

np - your decision making on the run is more sensible than mine! 

Chick - what I said to Scooby above!  The tailwind doesn't assist anything like the headwind hinders (fact).

Chris - I totally sympathise with running with tummy troubles!  My greatest ally has been Immodium.  

Mark - Great run.  I wish my 20m had felt easy!

My five longest runs were 20, 22, 20, 18, 20 - which add up to the magical 100m.  That's the most I've done in a marathon training campaign.

24/03/2013 at 16:49
Ten the plan for this weekend had been 15 including a half marathon and 6 recovery so 8 hill run and 19 is more but it also included the 7 miles faster than MP so it's ok. Will do 22 next weekend and the weekend after I have another half marathon planned which will be run at MP. That's spot on 5 runs up to 100 miles just keep the pace up for the next few weeks and you will fly round.
24/03/2013 at 17:07

Fiona - I meant to say that looks like a solid run in the middle of your HR range.  You must be feeling well confident after nailing 20m at MP!

np - I don't think I would dare run a half marathon race so close to the marathon.  I'm settling for a 5k parkrun   I have to hit 23:59, because it's my Jantastic target!

24/03/2013 at 17:13
Well done to 15 and Craig - no PB for me, in comparison to Wrexham, today was tough. 1:43:10 and it hurt final few miles, I lost couple mins to wind but pleased enough, this week been a hard training week and I tapered for Wrexham. I am wondering whether my toothache and swollen gum (am in agony) would have contributed towards feeling not on par?

15/Craig, what does your Garmin tell you re elevation. It has mine down as very flat but my friends is totally different. Hers has nearly 300ft extra over the course and it isnt in those "spikes" that Garmin can sometimes do.

Mark great run and funny how 20 miles can feel easy!

Chris, sorry to hear you struggled, it happens to everyone at some point and well done for making 19 miles, hope you are better soon. The tough runs are what wew remember when going gets tough on race day,

Fiona, it looks like you need to up your marathon race pace!!
24/03/2013 at 17:21

HeOw - great time at the end of a tough week -  I can't imagine that toothache would have helped!

24/03/2013 at 17:24

Thanks Ten!  

Going to go out for recovery run later, make my mileage up to 17 with 13 at HMRP (and a few slower ones...)   Does that mean I still have to do the 18 with 14 at MRP, P&D  boffins?! 

24/03/2013 at 17:29
Night Nurse wrote (see)

I didnt mean skip it forever you were complaining of a niggle...Mens solution seems good, do 12 next week. I would think that a quality run would be better than a slow 22.

Yeah, I know, I wasn't going to skip it forever either, but the weather just didn't co-operate this week. I think I will take on board one or more of the excellent suggestions above and try and fit it into next week's long run, perhaps stick at 20 and run it progressively with a longer-than-usual stretch at mp.

HeOw, if I have to do it you do too! Actually though it is probably true that as well as being a hard workout, it's also kind of a dress rehearsal for the real marathon, and you won't be running that at half-marathon pace. So it is a different run.

Also, massive congratulations to everyone who raced today! And to 15W for the new PB. And also well done to everyone who got out on their long run in less-than-ideal conditions. I kind of ducked out on mine yesterday, but the snow has partially melted now so I am thinking of going out for 10-15 now, while I've still got some energy left (in my legs. My arms are like jelly after spending all day up ropes).

24/03/2013 at 17:46

Literatin - I am going to slot the 14 at MRP into my 20 miler either next weekend or weekend after.  I will juggle my runs around this week and may drop the Salford 10k, I know tune up races are important but I cannot really justify leaving my husband, who will be recovering from surgery on the Thursday to fuck off to Manchester AGAIN to do a 10k.  So, I may do the 20 at MRP next weekend and do the tune up race weekend after. I felt todays race was my 11 with 7 at LT pace (although I did more at LT pace!) as I totally messed that up last week by doing circuits etc night before and that had annoyed me big time.  So, nothing lost today really!  Are you going to go out now?!

24/03/2013 at 17:50

I've just made the mistake of looking at the weekly weather forecast.  Depressing   Possibility of more heavy snow at Easter.

You can tell I'm tapering as I've already started obsessing about the weather 

24/03/2013 at 17:51

HeOw - my garmin has +78m/-61m elevation, so that's 139m altogether, or 456ft.

24/03/2013 at 17:58

Mine is wrong then.  My friends has same as yours.  Feel better now! 

24/03/2013 at 17:58
HeOw wrote (see)

Are you going to go out now?!

Yep, just got my running gear on and it's still light... Legs are a bit bruised from the workshop though. That'll teach me. Okay, I'll do the 14 mp in this weekend's long run if you and Men are too (though maybe only 12 or something).

24/03/2013 at 18:07

Yes we will do it togeva... 

Ten - I checked long term weather forecast already for Manchester...

24/03/2013 at 18:17

15 West, whats was your name, I thought you were ahead of me?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.