P + D training for VLM 2013

3,921 to 3,940 of 5,754 messages
29/03/2013 at 20:01

You are right HeOw, VO2 not so important to marathon training as the long runs and the lactate threshold runs.

Good running everyone. SR and Men - impressive stuff.

29/03/2013 at 20:28
Hi peeps to much work and life getting in the way, HeOw ((((hug)))) hope your feeling more like yourself soon.
Ten keep well mate.

There has been some great running going on nice to see the half marathons didn't take to much out of you. I can see lots of PB's coming up nearly taper time.

felt a little out of sorts after last weekend but still did all the sessions and by Thursday I was running smooth again, think it was the cold getting into the old body but finished my MLR and a nice tempo session at 6:11 pace looking forward to this weekends last long run of 22 miles and then start to taper a bit
29/03/2013 at 22:04
Well I also did 22 miles this morning with av 9:15/ mile at average HR 158. So pleased with that and I could even have gone further. It's the first time I've ever felt like that.

Ten - I hope you've had chicken pox!

Craig - well done on the PB

Chick - that's a fantastic pace
29/03/2013 at 23:00

Just quick catch up I am meant to be working...just wanted to see who is lucky enough to now be officially tapering, by getting that last LR done today

Super long runs MEN and SR...

Wow you too FIONA great pace looking good for sub 3.50 at least

CHICK well done a 22 at recovery hr ave at 8.40s is pretty impressive you must be feeling very confident. And while I am thinking about it, do you wear the Kinvaras for full marathon ?..I have done most of my running in them lately and everything seems fine, are they ok for racing full marathon distance ?

Well my A plan went out the window today spent the day with Grand kids who didn't go till 5 so all I had time was a quick 6 mile recovery before work.

Hope to set plan B in operation tomorrow, fingers cross for decent 5-6 hour sleep after my night shift then get a 20-21 in before coming back to work, at least the clocks go forward so an hour less to work

Plan C is 20 when I get up sunday before my 3rd night shift.

Plan D (yes I have a plan D) is an 18 on Tues...wont do the full 20 as advised this unwise...so hopefully I wont have to resort to plan D

Edited: 29/03/2013 at 23:39
30/03/2013 at 06:57

Thanks NP - glad you got through the energy slump.

Fiona - that sound like a fantastic run, well done!!  I had chicken pox as a kid   I had it on holiday one year, and had mumps on holiday another year.  It seems I've passed the shit luck with timing on to my own kids 

NN - I really don't know how you do it!  You could write a book on how to maintain a flexible running schedule.

30/03/2013 at 07:58
Ten - well look at it this way, you could have avoided it on holiday as a child and be really devastated now!
30/03/2013 at 08:20

Hello all. 8 miles with some sprints this morning, then taking daughter swimming and then the two of us are heading south for easter and the remainder of next week to visit family. My runs will be along the SE coast of kent for 1st week of taper.

30/03/2013 at 08:39

Morning all, long shift at work today, so will try to let other people do the stress stuff and relax.  Some great last long runs, Fiona, Men, Chick and SR.  NP good to see you back and hope the off few days have left you now.

Enjoy the warm south 15W!

My last long one tomorrow, 22 miles.

30/03/2013 at 09:21
Well done on the long runs done so far, it looks like most of us are ignoring the plan and adding an extra couple of miles this weekend!

Just looking at the next couple of weeks and they look so easy compared to what we've been doing lately.

Good luck this weekend!
30/03/2013 at 09:38

Fiona: GREAT confidence booster for you. Well done

Men: another impressive run from you. Imagine running faster in training than you did at VLM last year ... wow!!

NN: I do all my running in Kinvaras except tempo work.  I use Fastwitches for that. But I couldn't do more than about 10k in the Fastwitches because my feet are a bit dodgy. Used to be a gymnast in my youth and hurt both feet trampolining way back when. They never really got back to normal
If you did a few long runs in your Kinvaras with no issues you'll be fine during the race.

30/03/2013 at 09:48

Thanks JF50 - I think weather better in Manchester to be honest.

30/03/2013 at 10:35

chickadee, identical trainers to me, I do all my training in Fastwitches and all my races in Kinvara 3s.  Great shoes, never had an issue.  You can pick up the Fastwitches quite cheap also.

30/03/2013 at 12:04

Men great running well on for tha PB

15West enjoy your trip down south.

JF50 snap last 22 tomorrow

NN hope you plan B

Fiona well done on your 22 mile run and everything pointing towards a PB

Ten keep well.

Hill run done this morning 8 miles lots of snow still at the top, last 22 tomorrow have a great weekend everyone.

30/03/2013 at 13:45
We are nearly there everyone.

Had an amazing 23 miler this morning in sunny (and less cold) conditions. Intention was to run easy and stay out for 3 hours. But I ended up doing the 23 at sub 7 pace, and it felt easy ish throughout. Massive confidence boost. Am now looking forward to eating more and running less for the next few weeks. Fingers crossed on staying injury free.

Hope everyone has a fantastic Easter and makes the most of the milder (ish) weather.
30/03/2013 at 14:29

Fiona - thanks. I like the positive spin 

NP - good run.  The snow round here has pretty much gone.  The was one patch of sheet ice on the parkrun this morning, but other than that it was great weather for running.

Chris - well done - looks like you are well prepared going into your taper!

This morning I ran the parkrun 5k as a tune-up race.  I had predicted 23:59 (for Jantastic) based on my recent HM result - my PB was 24:24.  I left my garmin set to miles, because I'm used to targeting 7:43 pace during my threshold runs.  They had a 24:00 pacer, which was handy, though I knew he was going faster than that pace after the first mile.  My mile splits (according to garmin) were:

7:41/7:25/7:28

Official time:  23:32   PB by 52 seconds! 

My results are all getting nicely lined-up now.  Only the marathon remains that is out of kilter, and I have two weeks left to try to rectify that!  Positive vibes.... positive vibes...... breathe..... breathe.

I followed the parkrun with another six miles, and ran two of the miles at marathon pace.  I thought this was within the spirit of the schedule 

30/03/2013 at 15:48

Massive PB Ten. You should be chuffed. The training has clearly had a great benefit for your speed and endurance. Great stuff. Everything is now crossed for the taper period!

30/03/2013 at 16:02

Great PB Ten, all the other distances getting lined up so just the M to include now, the schedule seems to have worked well to now, no need to doubt the final bit.

Great running Chris, as you say a great confidence booster.

NP enjoy your last big one.

30/03/2013 at 16:04

Congrats to Ten and Craig on the PBs and well done to everyone who's done long runs, though I do think it is a bit sneaky getting them in before Sunday so you can gloat about tapering while SOME of us have still got to do them.

Chris, would you really eat more while running less? Only I was just thinking I'd have to stop eating my body weight in flapjacks once I cut back on the training.

30/03/2013 at 16:09

Thanks guys.  I was having doubts about whether to run 16m tomorrow with only two weeks to go, thinking it sounded a bit long compared to other schedules.  However, this is a reminder that P&D are the experts - not me.  Faith is rekindled and I'll be out there early tomorrow, whatever the weather.

Enjoy your last run before the taper peeps!

30/03/2013 at 16:23
Lit - I was thinking the same thing about the eating. I'll be like the side of a house I I eat the same and run less
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.