P + D training for VLM 2013

4,601 to 4,620 of 5,754 messages
15/04/2013 at 15:31

Lit - amazed you do all this mileage on a low carb diet - but I guess you're just used to it. I'm with Chris - with all this running I couldn't do without carbs, although I do like the sound of feeling light and bouncy....

15/04/2013 at 15:45

Well, I do eat carbs, just not in the same quantities as some other runners, and more from fruit and pulses (and oats, rye and brown rice, if having grains) than traditional runner stodge. I didn't start running 30+ miles a week until after I stopped eating bread and found I had stupid amounts of spare energy.

15/04/2013 at 16:12
I eat vast quantities of bananas. Not sure if it hlps though.
15/04/2013 at 16:14

I have a pathological fear of bananas.

15/04/2013 at 16:16

I've just ate one

15/04/2013 at 16:17

I just had the choice between a banana and some cheesecake. The cheesecake won

15/04/2013 at 16:18

You made the right choice, Chick.

15/04/2013 at 16:19

Chick, I didn't have cheesecake, otherwise I would have ate both

15/04/2013 at 16:28
NN, oh love, i am gutted for you if you don't make VLM - any chance you would consider doing Manchester instead?

AG - you really are going to smash sub 4, i did a 3:54 at Chester off back off 46:12 10k and that was on nothing like the training I have done with P&D. If you are well on the day and weather is right, stick to 9m/m and if you have anything left, go for it.
15/04/2013 at 16:34

Had a massage and didnt cause any pain at the time but my right calf is now constantly twinging on the verge of cramping. Hope it goes soon.

First defence gives me a nose bleed.

Wife has a full on cold.Oxygen tent sounds like a good idea HeOw.

Just eat what I feel like, but dont have a sweet tooth so pretty easy really. The fearsome banana would win hands down here

15/04/2013 at 16:34

forgot to hug you (((NN)))     really sorry to hear foot still isn't right.

15/04/2013 at 17:57

Feeling better today, which means it definitely wasn't flu. Still had fever/nausea this morning but seems to be going now. 3 days without running in a row, first time I've done that since July! Will try the 6 mile recovery tomorrow and take it from there.

NN, sorry to hear your foot is still playing up.

Re McMillan predictor - it has me on for 2:59:23 off my 10k time which I hope isn't too optimistic...

Carbs this week - will probably cut down marginally before Wednesday then go karb krazy. My girlfriend has just made me some healthy oat and fruit flapjacks, which is nice considering it looks like she is now coming down with what I had...

15/04/2013 at 18:05

Heow, I did check out the date of mancester but its the week after and I would have lost 4 weeks training by then, I can cope with 2.5 weeks as its the taper anyway, any longer and the fitness would be rubbish, if it had been 3/4 weeks later , yes I would have  gone for that as I could have done a couple decent weeks training.

I have strapped on some KT tape anyone used it? any good ?

I am doing Abingdon in October anyway I know thats a long way off but I wouldnt have to start from scratch again....so would just work on maintaining what I have done.

Men was the calf twinging before the massage ? hope it settles for you.

JF50 yes still going on Thurs, will be there about 1.30  what time are you going ?

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 18:07
15/04/2013 at 18:11
Will start to Carb load on Thursday after my run, I did two days of no carbs last week just do it wasn't a big shock to the system and feel much better this time round. 1 litre of Beet root juice down the hatch as well today

NN hope your able to make the start line.
15/04/2013 at 18:12

NN, you'd better make the bloody start line, there's already far too many blokes on this thread and not enough laydeez.

15/04/2013 at 19:09
NN - sorry to hear that foot still not improving, but totally understand why you don't wish to risk it.

I'm not keen on carb depletion so will just carb load starting Thursday. Personally I quite like maple syrup pancakes.

Lit - I've also lost loads of weight (not quite as much as you tho') and now I try to limit the carbs just like you cos terrified of putting it all back on if I don't.

AG - it certainly sounds like you could go faster but I understand where you are coming from. I'm intending to do a similar thing cos it's more important to me to do sub 4 hour than 3:55 say.
15/04/2013 at 19:12
Lit - that's cos not many of us ladies have the time or inclination to put in the effort. It always amazes me how I always have a high age group place at parkrun but am miles down the gender list. I presume it's because most women in my age group have better things to do on a Saturday morning ... Like my sister who goes to football and ballet.
15/04/2013 at 20:52

Shocking scenes at Boston. My boss was due to cross the finish line right at the time of the explosion. I had been tracking him on line and then his name dissapeared. So no confirmation that he has finished and is in one piece. Really hoping he's ok, and that there are no fatalaties. So sad to be watching this. Lets just pray that everyone has made it home safely. 

15/04/2013 at 20:55

NN yes still Thursday.  Will be there probably 11ish but a few things I want to do so will still be there at 1.30.  Anywhere in particular to meet, or shall I just PM my mobile to you?

5 miles recovery tonight, helped me make up my mind on shoes to wear on Sunday.

Bad news coming out of the Boston Marathon, explosion near the finish line

15/04/2013 at 21:13

Oh dear god. How awful. Any news about your boss yet Chris?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.