P + D training for VLM 2013

5,621 to 5,640 of 5,754 messages
03/05/2013 at 14:40

Fiona - thanks (many congrats on your recent exploits too btw - hats off to you!)

15 - at the moment no! (I'm sure that after a bit of a rest though I'll probably end up changing my mind!)

Chris - I hit the grass @ about 1:30pm and was there for about an hour, I would have been the one with the stupid grin on my face!

Men - yep that was me! White top ('Dave' written across the front!) & stuck to that pacer like a man possessed! - we're probably in quite a few photos together?

03/05/2013 at 14:57

Great report Dave, and congratulations on a brilliant time.

03/05/2013 at 15:04

Great race Dave, spot on with the pace and great race report.  Congratulations on your FGFA and surely not, the first retirement off the thread.  Hope the foot problem clears up quickly 

03/05/2013 at 15:07

Absolultely brilliant reports HeOw and Dave

Are we keeping this thread going or is it going to be the autumn thread from now on?

03/05/2013 at 15:23

We're waiting for AG to finish...come on AG, hurry up!

03/05/2013 at 15:30

Poor AG - it'll be all eyes on you then. No pressure

Forgot to mention shazmo - completey missed out on her brilliant cliff-hanger race report. I just love reading everyone's stories . I think I will copy and paste them into a word doc to make for motivational reading for next year

03/05/2013 at 16:35

What a good idea to save the race reports, Chick. They really do make great reading. 

03/05/2013 at 17:03

great race report Dave P. I hope I can muster some of that never say die spirit on monday.

I shoudl make it clear that I feel absolutely fine now. i'm not suffering from any kind of illness. My cramps, diarrhoea, dizziness, sweating and hyperventilating went almost as quickly as it came on. I was right as rain within a couple of hours and carb loading on Ben n Jerry's last night

I've no idea what triggered the upset stomach, but it was a blitzkrieg rather than a war of attrition, but anyway, i'm taking it easy this weekend, trying not to get sunburned. Going to visit my fiance's new niece tomorrow, then a mate's pub garden birthday drinks on Sunday where i'll be trying not to look jealous that everyone else is having a nice cold pint in the sun. I'm saving my cold pint to gloat over when i meet my mate on Monday afternoon and *hopefully* give him the bad news that he's now officially slower than me

03/05/2013 at 17:07
15West wrote (see)

We're waiting for AG to finish...come on AG, hurry up!

No pressure AG  but we are all waiting for you to beat your mates time

03/05/2013 at 17:07

+1 AG for passing on the bad news.  Have a great race

03/05/2013 at 18:20

Remember AG you will be the footnote to this wonderful thread, so dont be shit

04/05/2013 at 10:33

Good luck AG, and thanks for the detailed account of your last run; I actually WAS eating when I read it. Hope you are feeing better now. It may well have been food poisoning as that doesn't always linger as you were expecting - I remember something similar happening to me once years ago when I accidentally re-heated some cheese sauce more than once, felt fine for a couple of hours, then got stomach cramps and diarrhoea immediately after doing some exercise. It was a fencing class, so it was a good thing it was after and not during - not a good thing to happen when you're dressed head to toe in white clothes. 

04/05/2013 at 10:37

Last night I did four tentative recovery miles on the treadmill, in case I had to abandon the run in a hurry. Since it passed without incident, this morning I did 7m outdoors GA with strides   My left knee was feeling it a bit on the strides, so I didn't quite go full pelt, but it was great to feel a bit of speed. The knee was fine otherwise, but I've spent a bit of time afterwards rolling the ITB.

Tomorrow is 9m GA. Starting to feel like some normality is being resumed.

Edited: 04/05/2013 at 10:40
04/05/2013 at 13:03

Bit of a hangover this morning. Thanks for the spreadsheet Men...too many numbers on there for my head to cope with at the moment.

04/05/2013 at 20:37

Bit quiet out there...I'm slowly getting drunk again. Got to love bank holidays. AG - how are you?? Going to be HOT on monday.

04/05/2013 at 21:12

Hello again..sorry, not been on this thread for a while..been reading the antics though. Managed VLM in 3;34 following Pand D..off to join AG at Milton Keynes on Monday..if legs co-operate

15West..you have the better idea

04/05/2013 at 22:27

I have been down the pub. Well done brer rabbit for VLM and good luck for Monday.

05/05/2013 at 00:24

I've been on the devil's water this weekend too....infact I made some random posts at 3am yesterday morning....thankfully managed to edit before you were all out of bed

Good luck for Monday Rabbit and Ginger   

05/05/2013 at 10:13

After yesterday's GA with strides, today was my first straightforward GA run since the marathon. Based on training for a 3:45 marathon, my GA pace range would be 10:44 (MP+25%) to 9:52 (MP+15%). However, it's early days so I decided it would be better to train to my heart rate range instead to see how things pan out. Also, HR training makes sense to even out the effort over varying terrain. I've calculated my GA range to be 131-148 bpm, based on 181bpm max (remember that I reduced my previous max based on training and racing data, so this is more conservative and realistic I think).

As happens so often, the heart rate readings didn't settle down until I was more than a mile into the run, so I ran to a comfortable easy pace and ignored the HRM for about 1.25 miles. Then I ran according to heart rate once it had stabilised. The plan was to start out at the low end of the heart rate range, then gradually work up to run the final few miles at the high end. In total I ran 9.25m and here are the stats:

HR: 141*/133/134/140/145/144/147/148/147/(146) bpm avg: 139bpm
Pace: 10:20/9:50/9:23/9:39/9:51/9:11/9:36/10:05/9:24/(10:29) avg: 9:44
*nonsense heart rate readings in first mile

So my entire run was run at an average pace that was faster than my fastest planned pace based on 3:45 marathon training (9:44 vs 9:52). I'm taking this as surprising, but good news! It raises my hopes that I have another big PB in me for next Spring if I can carefully keep the momentum going.

Anyhow, that's the third week of Mesocycle five completed. Total mileage was 25.25, which was only slightly shy of planned due to midweek illness. I'm happy with the recovery process so far.

Good luck for tomorrow AG and BR.

05/05/2013 at 14:59

Ten, that sounds encouraging! And I have to say you're an exemplary P&Der. I am heartily sick of mesocycle 5 already, but am more or less sticking to it so far, except for some of the paces. Next week's Weds 5-mile recovery will be replaced by a 5-mile race, though.

5,621 to 5,640 of 5,754 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.