P + D training for VLM 2013

5,661 to 5,680 of 5,754 messages
06/05/2013 at 17:23

Congratulations BR  Great time!

06/05/2013 at 17:25

Cheers, just checked for final result..time was actually 3:31:19 and 12th lady overall. Well chuffed

06/05/2013 at 17:26

You're a WOMAN! But Brer Rabbit is a boy's name! Well done, though!

06/05/2013 at 17:50

BR I thought you were a bloke too.. wow well done 2 weeks after VLM !!! amazing..good effort indeed...

06/05/2013 at 17:51

Yeah, the two weeks after VLM thing makes me feel like a lazy cow.

06/05/2013 at 18:58

Last time I looked I was a woman I'm on a mission to complete 13 marathons in 2013 but wasnt planning to do 2 quickish ones so close together. I may implode soon!! Any news from AG?

06/05/2013 at 20:35

Brer - were you in the MacMillans top?  Fantastic result

06/05/2013 at 21:59

Wow, what a day. I'm in bed now after an afternoon on the common eating, drinking and nursing a sunburnt face. 

Long story short: first half of the race felt like it was executed to perfection, i crossed the start line almost dead last, and so managed to avoid much of the crush in the initial mile or two, and could gently weave through the crowd as the field spread out a bit. I was feeling strong and comfortable until about half way, nailing 9min miles with almost metronomic precision. 

second half of the race: not so smooth. My quads suddenly began to cramp and tighten, and I gradually slowed my pace, despite best efforts not to. My mile 16 I'd lost about 2 mins on my 9min/mile race plan. By mile 20 I was down by 8 mins, and really strugglinwith stay cool, plus my quads were burning and stiff as rock. I realised sub4 was almost certainly out, and decided to just make the best of it, and get the best time I could. Unfortunately after the final 10k of running on really heavy stiff legs, the best I could muster out of myself was 4:19:16

i was disappointed, but relieved for it to be over.

06/05/2013 at 22:05

AG, I thought from my stalking it must have been something like that as your first half was so precisely on target. I think loads of people struggled with cramp in the second half due to the heat. If it's any consolation my other friend I was tracking should have been on for a 2:45 but ended up with 2:59 for the exact same reason. Again: perfect first half for his pace and cramp in the second half. AND his friend at a different pace had the same thing.

Sorry you didn't beat your friend's time but I'm convinced you're the more talented marathoner really and will prove it one day.

06/05/2013 at 22:09

So, sub4 will have to wait, as will my mate's elusive 3:57:06 target.

i think after some more time to think about it I may be happy enough with my time but I did feel I was capable of more, sadly on the day it was not to be.

i still knocked 49 mins off my previous time from 2010, so it's an achievement of sorts, but my recent 10k times and the long runs at marathon pace all suggested a time much closer to my goal, so I'm at a loss to figure out what was so different. I had managed (mistakenly) to run 18miles in training all at marathon pace of 9:00 but my legs would not respond today beyond 14 miles, much as I tried to force them to maintain the pace. I can attribute some of it to the warmer weather, but it can't be to blame for all of it. Perhaps id not done enough long runs, although I stuck to the plan. Perhaps personally I just lack endurance and so need to get even more long miles in training than p&d suggest. Or maybe id be better sticking some half marathon races in my plan, to give me a better feel for where I am. 

06/05/2013 at 22:16

Bloody hell, a 49 minute PB? I'd forgotten what everyone's previous PBs were. That's incredible. Though I do agree you looked like you were on target. Wait and see how well you recover, and then it might be easier to see what went wrong.

I think we've all been waiting for this round of marathons to be over to reflect on what worked and what didn't with the P&D training.

06/05/2013 at 22:23

Teknik..I was indeed in a Macmillan vest. Did we speak buddy? How did it go?

AgentGinger..onwards and upwards..tough day today roasty, toasty

06/05/2013 at 22:57

AG well done.  It was the heat, that's it. 

Brer I was with the pack until about mile 9, then realised a 3:29 wasn't on. Kind of gave up, but lost sight in my right eye and decided the St John's ambulance was a better way home at mile 12.   Heat stroke.  You ran a great race, what with the hot sun and the 20+ bunch of lumbering 6 foot men around you. 

06/05/2013 at 23:29
Oh bad luck Ginger. Maybe yor extended taper didnt help. Still, 4.19 is a very respectable time in that heat and you should be proud of the fact you got a massive PB.
07/05/2013 at 06:56

AG - a 49 minute PB? Yeah, I'd say that's an "achievement of sorts". Most of the runners would have killed to get an achievement of that sort! Congratulations!!! 

Did you look at what the improved Riegel calculator at Fetch predicted for you marathon time, based on your half marathon? You might find you were closer than you think to a realistic goal. Races of 10k and 5k are less than ideal for predicting marathon race times (they haven't worked for me based on any formula I've come across). 

I guess it's time for group autopsy? 

It's a good point to raise, that an ommission from the plan seems to be a race of a decent distance (i.e. half marathon) to test progress in the earlier stages. Most of us went through a process of agonising how to restructure the plan in order to do a mini-taper for a half marathon race, then continue the plan afterwards having done that race. There are hints how to do this in the book, such as the table showing when to do the last VO2 or LT run before a race, but no firm examples. We muddled through with group support, which is where this thread has been brilliant.

Edited: 07/05/2013 at 06:57
07/05/2013 at 07:10

Bloody hell Teknik, are you ok today? That sounds frightening buddy. It seems there were a few casualties resulting from the heat though. Take care

07/05/2013 at 07:18

AG, well done.  It does sound like the heat got to you, so I'm sure you could go faster in cooler conditions (or an Autumn marathon once you've got used to the heat )

BR, that was a fantastic result.

Teknik, I hope you recover quickly that must have been scary when the vision went!?!

07/05/2013 at 08:06

Thanks guys, I think the heat and effort triggered a migraine.  All ok this morning.

07/05/2013 at 08:06

AG: sorry it didn't quite go to plan. Was stalking you too and got a bit concerned, especially because of that strange virus you had the other day. Glad you got around in one piece AND bagged 49 min PB . Always a tough one to run a marathon on the hottest day of the year so far when the body had little to no chance of adapting due to the friggin' long winter. I had a similar experience in one race where I basically hobbled from 15 miles onwards due to cramp. I had really lost the will to live by then and nearly dropped out when a spectator in a wheelchair cheered me on and shouted "c'mon, don't give up, you can do it". Most humbling experience of my life . That guy had me in tears so I pulled myself together and stuck it out despite being 20 mins outside my target.

BR
: another one that thought you was a bloke . That's a brilliant time!! Well done you

Tek: jeepers! That sounds freaky . Hope your eyesight is back to normal now.

07/05/2013 at 08:27

Teknik - glad you're okay today! Might be worth a follow-up with your GP just to be on the safe side? Have you had similar symptoms before? It doesn't sound like something you should be vague about for future races. 

5,661 to 5,680 of 5,754 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.