P + D training for VLM 2013

5,741 to 5,754 of 5,754 messages
21/05/2013 at 14:11

Ten - where would I get hold of a p&d training schedule? As you know interested in HR training - initially for the triathlons this summer but then for Brighton Marathon in the Spring. Thanks ... sorry I seem to have followed you to another thread!

21/05/2013 at 14:58

Emma - the marathon schedules are in the book "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger and Douglas (hence, P&D). there are some copies of the plans floating around the internet, but I recommend getting the book to fully understand the schedules. Other distances are covered in "Road Racing for Serious Runners". The marathon book is easier to follow, because it lays out solid plans, while the road racing book leaves you to fill in the gaps in the plans.

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 14:58
21/05/2013 at 14:59

Thanks Ten!

You are a real advocate of HR training aren't you - seems to work incredibly well for sleepy and Oscarr!

21/05/2013 at 15:48

Ten - I have solved the problem of which pace by using HR like we did in the marathon training.  I figure that the pace should come down if I train right and if is isn't low enough then I am probably off on my aim.

21/05/2013 at 16:30

Your welcome Emma.

Fiona - I had a re-read and it makes sense to stick to heart rate in order to stimulate the proper adaptations for each type of run. Not only that, but my target race times are a bit finger-in-the-air at this point in time.

I've just entered the 2014 Silverstone Half Marathon . No sense in delaying entry, when I already know it fits my schedule.

21/05/2013 at 17:53
Before everyone disappears - this was mentioned a while ago but I can't find it on the thread.....any suggestions for London hotels (I'm planning ahead for VLM14, as I have GFA)....I remember a couple of you suggesting certain hotels which can be booked now but cancelled nearer the time if something cheapie came up. Cheers

Silverstone sounds good Ten...used to watch the bikes there in my yoof
21/05/2013 at 19:20

Shazmo - premier inn Greenwich . Book on flexible rate so you can cancel later. It is near the start and only 5 mins on the train to maze hill if you don't want to walk all the way. There is also a travelodge and Novotel in the same area although I don't know if they do cancellable rates.

23/05/2013 at 11:26

Shazmo - I've just booked Travelodge Greenwich for £84 on their flexible rate (so I can cancel if I want to up to noon on arrival day).

24/05/2013 at 00:32
Thanks Fiona &Ten
24/05/2013 at 09:25

I've now added the Sunday night at the flexible rate (£48) as a contingency. It will depend on whether the family also come down with me (it's the easter holiday period, so the kids are off school on the Monday).

C'mon VLM - get that deferral email sent out 

24/05/2013 at 12:04

Ten, just checked and I had an email from VLM last year on 29th May to confirm my deferred entry for this year - so it should be within the next week (if they keep the same schedule).

Don't forget to keep an eye on your spam email folder just in case, as a friend lost their "You're in after 5 rejections" email this way a few years back.  

24/05/2013 at 12:13

Thanks Stutyr - I'll keep checking next week.

25/05/2013 at 13:56

As a postscript to Mesocycle 5, I ran 25 seconds parkrun PB (23:07) this morning . Bring on the summer speed training!

25/05/2013 at 15:09

Well done Ten, that's fantastic.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5,741 to 5,754 of 5,754 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.