P + D training for VLM 2013

41 to 60 of 5,754 messages
01/11/2012 at 12:38
Hi all, (keir, Minni) I will be following the P&D 55-70 schedule again for VLM 2013, I used it last year and the two medium long runs plus the Sunday LR really improved my endurance so I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of 20's.

In saying that and perhaps contradicting myself I'm thinking about running the 70-85 Sunday long runs as they are slightly longer (max 24 miles) and perhaps on the rest day I will be cross training (bike) or a 30 min recovery run, just to add a few more miles.

Last year I did pick up a niggle towards the end of the campaigns due to, I think, running the vo2 sessions too hard rather than sticking to the 5k paces as suggested.

Up until Dec 17th (?) I'm going to be just running easy miles (max HR 75%) with one or two sessions to include some strides and one hilly route where I forget about heart rate otherwise I'd be walking half of it and sprinting the other half.
01/11/2012 at 12:44
Hello Keir and Chick.

Fiona - sounds like you're in a great place to start your Spring campaign. I'm trying to bump up my races a bit so might see you around. I've booked the Northumberland half in March as my pre London half. I forgot you were running too otherwise I'd have looked you out on Sunday.
01/11/2012 at 13:10

Afternoon folks

Great idea for a thread

No VLM for me so i'm gonna gate crash with my Brighton Marathon hat on

Not decided which plan to do yet but i'm HADDing at the moment and am up to around 45M a week. Will build to about 50-55 in November then chuck in a weekly sub LT session in December, a week off over XMAS and then ON IT !!!

So with a likely start of 2 Jan '13 looks like i'll be taking an 18 week schedule and chopping a few weeks off of it or doing a 12 week jobby  

Edited: 01/11/2012 at 13:11
01/11/2012 at 13:22

Hi all, I'm about to start P and D again.  Last year I did 55-70 with extra runs and managed a sub 40 10k, sub 90 half and 3.15 marathon, all PBs.  Got bit distracted with ultras after that but going to give it a go again for Lochaber marathon this year, probably 70-85 schedule.

01/11/2012 at 13:25

hi mace

01/11/2012 at 15:18

Hi All -wave to Minni and Chick

Think I may give this a go (55-70mpw) but with a few more 20m LRs .This year on around 50mpw peaking at 65/72miles I did VLM 3.14.18 and Liverpool 3.9.51 (pb)and want see if I have anything left in me to knock off that and if I can get my 10k time from 40.04 under 40 mins I will be ecstatic. I will have to vary it a bit to allow for a bit of skiing and some tri training

If I dont follow the plan to the letter will I be expelled?

01/11/2012 at 15:35

i've been thinking of which plan to follow for the Manchester Marathon, which is a week after the 2013 VLM. I have the P&D book so was looking at the "up to 55mpw" plan, which means starting on xmas eve :-\

This gives me 7 weeks from next Monday to crank up the miles. I'm aiming for 30 this week, then stick at that for 2-3 weeks, then up to about 35ish for the remaining weeks til xmas. I think they recommend a pre-requisite of about 30 mpw and recent long run comparable to the first long run in the plan (of 11 or 12 miles i think). This seems achieveable so long as I don't get injured.

At least by lagging a week behind I can pick up some tips from you chaps and chapesses. Glad that you guys will be sharing the pain

01/11/2012 at 15:38

i'll probably also shift the whole plan forward by 1 day, doing the LSR on a Saturday and having a Sunday rest, rather than Sunday long run with Monday rest, as it fits my schedule a lot better. I can't imagine it will make a huge amount of difference and I think they said in their book that within reason it's fine to shuffle around the plan if necessary.

01/11/2012 at 15:40
Blimey it's like meeting old friends in a new pub here!
01/11/2012 at 16:28

So it is, Minni.  I think (after all my agonising) that I will go back to the devil I know.  P&D for VLM it is; probably

01/11/2012 at 16:35

Count me in, I've just purchased the book from Amazon earlier this morning. I'm aiming for a sub3 hour marathon from my first marathon. I'm a sub 19 5k, sub 40 10k runner at the moment and just got my mileage upto 30 last week. Aiming to get it upto 45 by xmas to start an 18 week plan.

01/11/2012 at 16:40
Al Runs wrote (see)

Is anyone doing the Silverstone HM on March 3rd? I've signed up as it seems well-timed. P&D don't seem keen on races that long so it will require some thought as how to fit it in.

I'm also doing the Silverstone Half, realistically hoping to finish that in around 1:23 to have a fighting chance of breaking 3hours in London. 5 months 19days to go ....

01/11/2012 at 16:41

Afternoon all, some familiar names here now. This morning's sample run from The Good Book was an 11 miler with 6M at lactate threshold. It was a toughy. Thankfully the longest LT run is only 1M more than that.

So far I've found the hardest session I've tried was a 16M long run with the final 8M @ mara pace. And those go up to 18M with 14M @ mara pace... although maybe it was a clue that I'm being a bit ambitious with my current marathon pace. What have others found to be the toughest workouts from P&D experience?

On a separate note - does anyone here use Strava? Good for geeking out even more about heart rates and pace, plus it's got a social aspect where you can comment on friends' runs. Might be good for people on this thread? If you're on it and want to add me my first name is Al, surname is Riley. If you're not on it, I'd recommend it. I upload my run to Garmin Connect then put it on Strava.

Ship-star - very similar times and goals to me! Are you going for the

01/11/2012 at 16:43

Ship-star, cross-post - very similar indeed! I'm thinking 1.24 for Silverstone. But lots of time to think about that...

01/11/2012 at 16:44

And the end of my previous post got cut off. Meant to say:

Ship-star - very similar times and goals to me! Are you going for the

01/11/2012 at 16:45

jeeeeeez...meant to say:

Ship-star - very similar times and goals to me! Are you going for the LESS THAN 55M schedule? 

(I think the less than sign caused the issue...)

01/11/2012 at 16:52
Al Runs wrote (see)

Ship-star - very similar times and goals to me! Are you going for the LESS THAN 55M schedule? 

(I think the less than sign caused the issue...)

I think you're a bit quicker than me Al, I'm a long way off running a sub18 Parkrun as I've only recently gone sub-19, I'm pretty new to running so still playing catch up. Regarding the schedules, I'm not going to know which is best until Mr Amazon drops the holy grail through my letter box. If anybody has any anecdotes of which has worked best for them, that would help the decision a lot.

Edited: 01/11/2012 at 16:58
01/11/2012 at 17:07

Wow busy thread...

Chick, Keir and the other Haddites (hi mace!)...when you switch from Hadd Base to P&D, do you replace the P&D LT runs with sub-LT Hadd runs, or just dump Hadd completely and follow Puff and Diddy?

01/11/2012 at 17:10

I feel like I'm slap-bang between the 'up to 55' and '55 to 70'.

So my dilemma is whether to do an inflated 55 or a cut-down 70. I'm thinking probably inflated 55 as it would have the psychological boost of adding extra miles, rather than not making the grade...

01/11/2012 at 17:35

I think that's probably wise, if you run over 55 you can walk around feeling smug for a few hours

41 to 60 of 5,754 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.