P + D training for VLM 2013

621 to 640 of 5,754 messages
28/12/2012 at 16:52

I guess it's time to get back on this thread again, despite feeling really behind when I read about all the great running that's going on. As some of you might recall, having done Day One of the schedule on December 18, I came down with an extremely nasty flu--type bug which meant I was unable to even contemplate running (or much else) until a couple of days ago. My first run back, on Boxing Day, was three miles and that pretty much wiped me out!  Now I am still coughing a lot but things are getting slowly better. I ran yesterday and it was bit easier. Does anyone have any suggestions about getting back on schedule? Do you think I should try to jump in at Week Three next week if I feel up to it? It had been going so well but, as they say, the best-laid plans...

28/12/2012 at 19:08

Al runs i know of a couple of runners who run on grass with no shoes trying to get over it, touch wood it's not one I have suffered.

GO Caz rest if the flu like and on your chest if it's a head cold it's ok to run, as this is base trainng and still a long way out, build up the runs first then jump into a week.

28/12/2012 at 20:56

8 mile GA run follwoed by 10 x 100m strides tonight.  Runs have been a bit out of order this week due to Christmas.

28/12/2012 at 21:55

GO Caz, Sorry you have been ill mate.  There lies the reason why I started marathon training a couple of weeks early.  I missed 2 weeks from my first marathon training last year from flu.  Basically, all you can do, is play it by ear.  I certainly wouldn't jump on to a high mileage week.  Which plan are you doing - sub 55 or 55-70?  I would do a week of just recovery paced running, with HRM on and when my HR was back to normal, I would start training again, adding mileage as my legs would see fit.

Night Nurse, sorry, you asked had I ran marathon before.  Yes, I did Manchester last year, horrendous! 4:06.  Then did Chester in October, better weather in 3:54.  

10.25 miles for me (should have been 11 but time constraints!).  Average pace was bang on 9m/m.  Ran first half at very easy pace then added steady miles in the 8:30-40 bracket in last half until last mile was around 8:15.  Now, these would be classed as MRP miles BUT they are just easy/steady miles to me, I am sure that is ok?!  Can't run every single mile basically jogging! Other than my tempo, that is the only run this week I have ran faster than 9m/m.  Tomorrow, I have to do my long run - 15 miles, will do it slow, all in the 9m/m range.

Edited: 28/12/2012 at 21:57
28/12/2012 at 22:01

JF50 I am hoping to get near the mileage of the up to 70 schedule it I was thinking of leaving out the doubles but having read the marathon thread and posts from other on there including NP maybe I may give the doubles ago..

One gear..my ancient 50 was more tongue in cheek...I am sure you are a very youthful 57...one of my female club mates is 57 and runs 1.31 for a half and a 40 min 10k, the leader of my group run on a Wednesday is 60 has she is amazing..looks about 45.

Caz looks like you made the right desciion to rest really..do you have a temp...? have been running with a sniffle all week and dispite that have managed a 16 lsr /12 mlr /9 GA and todays recovery 6...but mine is just a head cold..

28/12/2012 at 22:46

Hi everyone,
If anyone is running the london marathon and would be interested in taking part in an MSc study for University College London on barefoot and minimalist footwear injury rates please contact us at rmhkima@live.ucl.ac.uk or ian.masri.10@ucl.ac.uk

28/12/2012 at 23:08

Night nurse - that is fine my comment was very much "tongue in cheek". My times get relatively better the longer the distance.

Scrape under 40 for the 10k

1:27 for the half

2:57 for the marathon (VLM 2012)

29/12/2012 at 16:37

One gear !! wow impressive times indeed (for an old codger ) so whats your wava age grading % and where do you stand in rankings for age ?...must be quite high 

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 16:37
29/12/2012 at 16:41
I've had an up down week this week.

I missed training the last 2 days training because of travelling, a wedding and a hangover!

I'm going away tomorrow so decided to do the long run today, I felt terrible at the start due to all the Xmas excess and lack of sleep but I stuck with and ending up finishing quite strongly.

The 16 miles took me 1.57, my split times were 8.40, 8.08, 8.09, 7.56, 7.50, 7.42, 7.35, 6.43, 6.44, 6.43, 6.42, 6.43, 6.40, 6.41, 6.40, 7.41.

I thought this was a pretty tough workout, I'm surprised we had this session so early in the schedule. Just hope I recover ok now.

Good luck to everyone doing long runs tomorrow.
Edited: 29/12/2012 at 16:56
29/12/2012 at 17:21
Some great training being reported on this thread, and it's encouraging to hear how those of you who have already started the "proper"' training are doing.

My 18 weeks countdown to Milton Keynes starts on the 1st January, so I've been base-building for the last 6 weeks, and have averaged just over 50 miles a week, with all but the occasional run being at around 70-75% MHR.

I'm now toying with the idea of doing 6 weeks more base-building, and trying to get my weekly mileage closer to 60, and then doing the 12 week 55-70 schedule. However, I'm a little unsure as to whether this would be better for me than starting the 18 week schedule on the 1st....

What do others think?
29/12/2012 at 17:44

YP,  according to the book, you should only do the 12 week schedule if you don't have time for the 18.  Given that you have time for the 18 and are planning to do most of the miles anyway, probably just as well starting the 18 week.

I did MK last year - a unique experience to say the least.  Hope the weather is better in 2013. 

29/12/2012 at 18:08

Hi Night nurse, I did check this once and I think it was 80 something maybe 81%?

Having done sub 3 in 2010 my target this year was top10 ranking for the race. I achieved this and better still it looks like I will hold on to my Top10 ranking for the whole year.

For an overweight non-runner at 49 you can see why I said your best years are yet to come.

Will be watching peoples spring marathon campaigns with interest this year - not sure what I will be doing for VLM this year yet.

29/12/2012 at 20:52

One Gear  Bloody brilliant!  

Cracking run Mark!

Yo Ho, I think 6 weeks of base building is good enough? (although I am NO expert!) I would say start the plan.  The first few weeks of plan is mainly base building anyway.  You do have a couple of tempos and tough MRP runs but they will add to your training more than take away from it.  You will be glad of them after just doing easy miles for 6 weeks! 

15 very undulating miles for me today at average 9:17m/m, I have managed all of the plan this week, I have switched the runs around, I have done back to back 10 miler/15 miler but I felt strong enough and will do recovery run tomorrow, if all well.  If I manage recovery run, that will be my highest volume week EVER!  Bit frightened to be honest, worried my legs might fall off... Would like to do the 58 as in the plan though, I was only planning to do between the sub 55 mile and 55-70 so quite pleased have managed to do full week of the 55-70.  Makes me wonder whether I should bite the bullet and go for it.  See what I can do on it.

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 20:56
29/12/2012 at 21:23

One Gear nice PB's we are not far off each others times or age and it's great rnning with the young ones.

NN nice and the doubles wont do any harm.

Mark 1981 nice running and nice splits

Young pup 50 to 60 miles is only 20% extra aweek and you should be able to build that in within 3 weeks but it depends on how much running you have done in the past and how well you will be able to handle the extra 10 miles aweek.

Heow nice running and your legs wont fall off

Off road race for me today done in pairs very muddy and plenty of hills 850m asent/desent which most of these where done as Fartlek waiting for my mate to catch up just over 9 miles brining the weeks training to an end on 76.95 miles LSR tomorrow to start a new week still base building

30/12/2012 at 13:52

Final run of the week (and the year) in the bag.  So far I've managed to complete all of the scheduled P&D runs.

Today's run was 14m MLR.  I ran five miles at the slow end of the pace range (MP+20%), four miles in about the middle, and the final five miles at MP+10%.  Feeling strong at the end and my heart rate was well within range.

Next run will be 8m with strides on New Years Day.

30/12/2012 at 15:24
Did the 16 mp run this morning. Total time 1.53.29. Only managed five miles at mp though. Ran the first eight too fast plus carrying too much gear and Christmas dinners.
30/12/2012 at 15:28

Since I'm fairly new to running, I'm still trying to work out what a realistic marathon goal is for me.

I did my 13 miles with 8 at PMP yesterday.The first 5 were nice and slow, then I averaged about 6:50m/m for the faster 8.

However my heart rate was at the very top of the range (88% of max) and I think that shows that I was being way too ambitious. I certainly wouldn't want to try and do 26 at that pace (yet!)

I think I'll revise my PMP down to about 7:10m/m.

30/12/2012 at 17:18

I also found the MP run extremely tough today. Managed 8 miles at 6:55m/m but it was more like a lactate run as I was operating between 82 - 88% HRR. Very tough workout...and maybe I should revise my pace down to 7:10 as well. 

But this is why we're training and I believe I'll be able to get marathon pace down to at least 6:50 if I stick to the plan. Can't say I'm looking forward to the other MP sessions...

30/12/2012 at 17:35
Just over 17 miles for me today done in the wind and rain hard work after yesterday's race but managed 4 miles at MP in it as well
Ten well done on your 14 mile run, enjoy your rest day tomorrow.
Surrey Runner well done on the 16 mile run, I think we all suffer from to much eating this time of year
Ziggy what are you times for 10k and half marathon? Well done on your 13 mile run.
Al run as you know it's the sum of all the workouts in the end that will give you your best time in the marathon some days in training are harder than others, but I still think its to early to pinpoint what your time will be.
30/12/2012 at 17:47

No pain - wow that's some serious mileage for the week!!! What comes after base building?

I have always "maxed out" in the 60s and that is not usually until March. I have only got into the 70s once and that was when I pulled my long Sunday run back to Saturday and got two long runs in one week - so doesn't really count.

Once I got to the 60s I then concentrated on keeping the miles the same but upping the overall training pace for each campaign, helped by a weekly track session.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.