P + D training for VLM 2013

801 to 820 of 5,754 messages
08/01/2013 at 22:54
Tenjiso wrote (see)
No Pain wrote (see)

15 West my plan is a mixture of P&D and what works for me as a 51yr old

Ahh yes..... Horlicks or Ovaltine.  

The recovery drinks for geriatrics.

guess what I have just made for myself ? 

HeOw very nice bit of tempo , well done you.

Oh those strides again !! If I lose count I always do an extra one to make sure its 10 or 11 and not 9 sets of strides

15 West welcome back to reality and wondering how and when to fit the runs in between work and life rather than just sunbathing and eating 

Got my plan for my MLR  tomorrow I have decided to park the car 3.5 miles from club run with the 9mm group they usually do 7  or so then run back to the car and get home late !!

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 23:03
09/01/2013 at 07:55
LOL at Ten drinking chocolate LSR of 14 for me today.
09/01/2013 at 07:57

NP - I mean which P&D schedule - but I guess from the two runs yesterday you are on the 85mile + one?

14  miles today - will be an extra long lunch break and I'll make up the hours. Just hope nothing serious comes up at work this morning which means I can't sneak off. When I last followed this schedule last summer I was home alone as family were away for most of summer holiday, for a big chunk of training I just got up early and ran the long miles before work. Now I have to get the kiddy to school etc so no time - plus, it's dark, cold and scary out there.

09/01/2013 at 08:40

Out early this morning for an 8 miler with 10 x 100m sprints.  I think spotted by just the one paper boy who seemed very surprised as this old guy "flew" past him.  NN started at 5.15am, most of the street lights off in the small town I live.

Good tip Surrey Runner about the Garmin, think we all forget how many we have done, I was going through them in my mind this morning, where I had done each one round the town to see if I still owed anything before I turned for home.

09/01/2013 at 09:42

I found it easy to slot in the runs over Christmas because the other half was at home and kids were lolling about.  Harder now though.  If I had to though, would just get up extra early.   

I use that function for intervals and strides on the Garmin, it is extremely hard to guess 0.6 miles (100m) whilst pegging along the street! 

NN, I am doing same tonight for MLR.  12 miles but will do 8-8.5 with club, then, myself and one of the other girls doing extra 4.  Just need to make sure I take it easy on club run, very hard to reign it in when fast runners with you.  

Enjoy your 14 miles 15W and NoPain. 

09/01/2013 at 09:57

HeOw I am dropping down a group as my usual group would be nearer marathon pace and I did that on Saturday, as you say club runs always seem to end in a race especially over the last mile or so

NP 15W enjoy those 14 milers, strange isnt it, I am now saying ONLY 14 miles

JF50 early bird !! at least the paper boy get PAID for getting up at that time ..lol, I guess though if you have no choice you have to get runs done when you can so Heow you could soon be an early bird too...good luck 

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 09:58
09/01/2013 at 10:06

5m recovery run this morning, on the treadmill and wearing new trainers.

I've got to decide what to do tomorrow to get in my 10m GA run.  I think I'm going to be getting up at 5:00am to make sure it gets done (doing a "JF50" as it's known colloqially).  It's very dark along the trail, so I might experiment with two torches this time.  I guess I should set up my garmin vibrating pace alerts too, to save trying to read the display.

09/01/2013 at 10:22

Ten you can set the backlight to stay on

09/01/2013 at 10:23

I  do run in the evenings as well but just find morning running better much of the time, so this week I will run 3 of my sessions early.  For starters I think you are better fuelled in the morning than after a day at work.  I make sure I eat a good evening meal and after that it will be feet up time with the OH.  I have my running stuff all ready downstairs when I go to bed, set the alarm for run time, I have got used to knocking it off quick so it doesn't wake her up, I reset it to wake her if I am on a longer run, if it's only a 5 miler or something I'll be back and have the kettle on before she needs to get up.  Use the loo, quick splash of face, mouthful of water, get dressed, boot the cat out of the patio door as I leave (ok sometimes the cat thinks its too early in the winter).  Shower, shave, breakfast and off to work Easy.

Definitely I feel less tired running at that time than after work.  Mind you by about 3.00pm I might feel a bit more tired

09/01/2013 at 10:31

Thanks NN - I'll check that out.  Last time I tried, the backlight went off after 5 seconds(ish), so it's good to know I can change the setting.

JF50 - I much prefer morning runs, and I'm usually finished before the family get up.  I find it hard to get motivated for an evening run, especially after a hard day.  Better to get the run in the bag and be full of energy from the get-go.

09/01/2013 at 10:37
Respect to those that get up early morning to run, I work shifts so I think it's sometimes a bit easier to fit my runs in.
Saying that I'm working nights this week so I'm not getting anything close to a proper nights sleep.

Think I might have picked up my first little injury/niggle. One of my shoulders is really sore which I think is from the sprinting yesterday.
09/01/2013 at 10:55

Mark, changing shift patterns is worse I think than permanent nights , at least I can get into a pattern and I sleep better during the day than at night now, on my run of 3 nights I get up late on the first day run in the afternoon then get ready for work....sleep till about 4 the next day then run late afternoon then work , then the same the next day, I also work one afternoon a week to make hours up to full time and on that day I run mid morning and go to work at 2pm. On my 3 days off  with no young children or anything to worry about I can run when I like

JF50 but it easy for you blokes you dont have to worry about drying and straightening hair as well (or do you ?) hope you take the wife a cuppa when you get in, 

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 10:56
09/01/2013 at 10:59

Completed the 5 mile recovery this morning - also in nice new shoes!  A combination of Xmas and Jan sales mean I have two new pairs to break in .  Took it nice and easy as really struggled with the LT run yesterday.

I'll be doing a JF50 tomorrow as well - normally the alarm goes at 5am, but it'll have to be earlier to fit in the 10m MLR before getting the kids up.  I need at least half an hour before getting out the door, as I struggle to put one foot in front of the other before my first mug of coffee!

09/01/2013 at 11:03

NN, why do you think I get up so early.  Spend hours on my hair and then find my head torch ruins it!  At the moment you could go out in what you want at 5am, nobody is going to see it!  I know my place when it comes to pouring the first tea of the day

09/01/2013 at 11:12

ha ha ha 

09/01/2013 at 13:08

Mark, do you often have a problem with stiff shoulders and is it your dominant arm? I used to get shoulder pain on fast intervals because my neck and shoulder muscles are tight anyway and I had a slightly 'hunched' posture -- managed to improve it massively with sports massage (and also just paying more attention to my arm position all the time, following physio's advice) and now make sure I stretch my shoulders just as much as my legs after all runs.

And I've embraced 'wavy' (aka messy) hair to get rid of the need to drying/straightening. I tell myself it's the fashionable 'bed hair' look...

09/01/2013 at 13:43
NN - you are right about changing shifts it is hard to keep a good sleeping routine. Saying that i dont know if id like to work permanent nights.

literatin - Not really, I swim alot so I should have quite flexible shoulders, I do remember thinking to myself to swing my arms a bit more when I was doing the intervals yesterday, it's my own fault for trying to run like Linford Christie!

I took some ibuprofen this morning and its a bit better now, just finished the 14 miles in 1.53, lovely day for running again.
09/01/2013 at 13:48
Is anybody doing the race for a charity?

I don't usually bother because I don't like asking for money but a few people have asked if I'm running for charity.
I think people associate the London marathon with charity.

I was thinking it might be good to raise some money if I can.
09/01/2013 at 13:53

Mark I'm raising money for Arthritis Research, just because it is an event people will sponsor you for so an opportunity to support something

09/01/2013 at 14:00

A couple of people have offered me money, so I'm also thinking I might find a charity to run for since it seems a shame to miss the opportunity if people are queuing up to donate. Was going to wait until nearer the time then pick a smaller charity that wouldn't normally get to raise money at VLM.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.