P + D training for VLM 2013

1,101 to 1,120 of 5,754 messages
17/01/2013 at 15:54

I have just been to a meeting that included an "accurate" weather forecast because it can be quite critical where I work and the good news is that generally from Friday onwards it will start to warm up a bit so the ice could start melting, the bad news is that as that warm up starts it will start to snow, possibly heavy snow.  The snow will come in from the west so living in East Anglia we may only get  what's left after dumping on all other areas in it's path. So it looks like there could be some virgin snow for long runs on Sunday, trail shoes on and head out to the country. 

17/01/2013 at 15:54

I'm still hopeful of ice dispersion here too.  I hope that I may be able to get out by Sunday and it will definitely be easier if there is fresh snow as it is easier to run on.  I think I have MP this week  but I should still be able to do that.  I will run up and down if needs be.

HeOw - sorry to hear about the cat.  They do like to cross roads without using the green cross code don't they.

17/01/2013 at 16:16

fingers crossed we wont have to resort to 20 on a treadmill..I wouldnt do it..
I would reschedule somehow, or as Literatin says find a clear stretch and run up and down that , at least the air is fresh outside as Dave said a bit of juggling here and there really wont make any difference, in my eyes staying injury free and physically well is more important..as for our mental state, well that's open for debate .I could possibly at a push do 10 miles on the treaddy but the ones in our gym are facing a mirror and not a telly...I don't really want to watch myself for any longer than I have to....I wonder how easy it would be to read a mag on one if I propped it over the display thing...at least that way I wouldn't have to watch the miles slowly tick by either.
Heow sorry to hear about the cat at least it sounds as if she will be ok..if you feel as if the plan is too much just drop back for a while and see how it goes you can always add a couple of miles here and there if you are feeling fresh on a particular day you have a lot on your plate with a young family...they need your attention although you also need your 'time" too...I am fortunate really, apart from my unsociable working hours (which actually for me feel fine I am used to them ) I dont have to worry about anyone else..just got my youngest son at home and at 19 he can sort himself out (most of the time) So I can run/eat /sleep /whatever/whenever
Been for a little swim but cant really count it as training as I took my 1 year old grandson for a splash around..will do 5 recovery after I drop him back before work later.

17/01/2013 at 18:30

Very cautious 5-mile recovery run done in the snow. Probably the only time I've ever managed to stick to a sensible recovery pace!

17/01/2013 at 20:16

HeWo sorry to read about your cat, my two dont go far but it's always a worry.

Some great running going on in poor conditions but at least it's not as bad as two years ago -18 and snow on the ground for 6 weeks....... But the funny thing is I enjoyed running in it, I did all my speed work on a treadmill and all my long runs on the road in the snow.

2x7 mile runs banked here, swim and an easy run tomorrow.

17/01/2013 at 21:13

I suppose I shouldn't complain as there is absolutely no snow or ice where I am............. BUT I hate running in the wind.

I'm just back from my 9m with 5 @ LT.

The 5 at LT were 6:35, 6:40, 6:48, 6:39, 6:39 with an avg HR of 88% of max.

However the wind was so strong that the perceived effort over those 5 varied greatly depending on whether I was running into or with the wind.

17/01/2013 at 21:43

Great going on the LT miles there Ziggy.

Mark/anybody else running the BM on Sunday, have you seen the message on their website saying a decision will be made on Sat lunch. With the forecast given am not holding my breath 

17/01/2013 at 22:04

Ziigy fast miles well done...

I remember that winter 2 years ago NP we even had it bad down here..I trained all through that snow and ice...got the flu and chest infection...was off for 3 weeks at least then dived right back into high miles and crammed as many 20s as I could in during the end of Feb/ March....result. ?.22 degs on the day in London and a thoroughly miserable personal worst marathon..

5 bloody cold recovery miles tonight

Working tomorrow and saturday night, may do the 20 when I get up sunday afternoon with the option of doing it monday morning..if the weather is too bad...

Edited: 17/01/2013 at 22:06
17/01/2013 at 23:20
HeOw sorry to hear about the cat, that sounds awful.

Mark yeah the race organisers sound like they are trying to get the race on!
They put a picture on twitter of a race a few years ago with everyone running in the snow so maybe we still have a chance.

I'm taking it easy this week so ill just class it as a rest week if the race is off.

I ran 10 miles on the beach today, it was hard going in the cold.
17/01/2013 at 23:28
Well, 12 miles done running home from work tonight. No snow or wind and quite a pleasant temperature really! All set to change from tomorrow in London though which makes Sunday's long run a bit of a worry. I don't think I could do it on a treadmill. Does anyone know why they make you so hot? I know they are indoors but it seems disproportionate.
HeOw, hope your cat feline ok now.
17/01/2013 at 23:32

Good going there Mark in harsh conditions. I also beach ran but just a 5 mile recovery for me and that was bad enough!

Am resting now until Sun and then if it is off will do a log run instead and not cut back next wk.

Did you decide on getting any of the beet shots?

18/01/2013 at 07:23

Morning all - well done to anyone who managed to get out there and run yesterday, and good luck to all who get out there today. A fair amount of Wales, SW and W Midlands getting a good dumping on now - still to play for how much we get in the NW.

I am down for a 12 mile run today, and have Helsby on Sunday (if still can get there and it's on); but am unsure whether to run 8, or 10, or 12 (has to be an even number for some reason!) for tapering reasons. Whatever I do I think I will run it late morning as by this afternoon could be covered with the white stuff.

18/01/2013 at 08:42

Morning all, treadmill run for me today in my garage, 5 miles recovery, another episode of The Wire watched.  16 miler with 11 at MP for Sunday.  Seems likewe are due to have snow all weekend here so might just have to run repeats along the railway walk trail close to me in trail shoes.  Actually quite looking forward to it, as others say not too bad for long runs but hopefully it will clear before we all need to get some speed work done.

18/01/2013 at 09:02

Considering whether to do today's 12 miler outside or on the treadmill.  Heavy snow currently falling.  One thought though, I was caught out by running in a storm at the MK marathon last year.  Running outside today would be good bad weather training.

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 09:02
18/01/2013 at 10:10
SR If its safe I would always run outside, like you say training in all weathers will toughen you up mentally for the big day.

Markf I forgot about buying those beet shots, I might get some today. Thanks for reminding me.
I'm starting to mentally prepare for racing on Sunday, just hoping its on.
18/01/2013 at 10:24

Blizzards here now!

18/01/2013 at 10:38

10mi GA completed last night, 5mi recovery jog done this morning.

the air was cold but i was still sweating after 5 minutes. snow didn't start until i was just getting to the office, so i've missed the blizzard, although i work in central london so the temp is a couple of degrees warmer here and the roads well gritted, snow has to be pretty heavy to stick.

18/01/2013 at 10:43

well another 10 miles on the treadmill logged.  I watched BBC breakfast for 1hr40!  It gets pretty boring after a while.  However, it was quite amusing to watch the reporter in Wales who was becoming progressively more snowman like as the time passed. Currently we have had no more snow and it looks like we will probably get off lightly with only  a small amount tonight.  However, it is getting really slippy underfoot so still no running outside, but I think I may chance parkrun tomorrow with the trail shoes on for my 5 miles recovery.  Still trying to figure out what to do about Sunday - there is no way I can do another 6 miles on that damn treadmill.

18/01/2013 at 11:18
Ziggy great running and nice splits.
NN I did my PB that year I like running in the heat but a mate who should have been sub 3hrs burned up badly and did 3:15 some 20 mins off pace. Nice running, not sure what's happening on Fetch as yesterday's and today's training is not shown?
15west enjoy your run.
JF50 nice running enjoy the trail tomorrow.
AG nice running.
Fiona J nice treadmill session.
18/01/2013 at 12:15

Well, ran just under 9 in the end - my legs felt like they could do with a bit more rest if running a half on sunday, well, that's my excuse anyway. It was snowing quite heavily when I left, but was very light when got back. Underfoot on city streets not too bad, out on the trails is compacted snow and could get quite slippery out there in next few days unless thaws. Really cold wind out there too.

1,101 to 1,120 of 5,754 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.