P + D training for VLM 2013

1,161 to 1,180 of 5,754 messages
19/01/2013 at 18:55

Unlucky on the cancelled races all. 10 miles at 7.45 [ace for me and eyeing up a 16 or 18 miler tomorrow if the weather allows me.

Its an endurance event this marathoning - physically, mentally and emotionally. Will be a challenge hitting the miles over the next few days, but its still early days.

19/01/2013 at 19:08

Sorry to hear about everyone's cancelled races, though I suppose I'd rather that than come on here on Sunday and hear about everyone's broken bones etc. It seems to be 'slow and cautious' weather rather than racing weather.

I'm still going out in the snow though it was quite slushy today and I'm hoping for some fresh snow overnight as I think it'll be better in trail shoes than icy canal towpaths... today I only did 4 miles recovery as I was planning to (and did) jog to the gym for a pilates class and then back again, so 6 miles in total but not all at once. If I manage the 20 miles tomorrow I'll be up to 69 miles for the week!

19/01/2013 at 22:29

5 and a bit recovery for me tonight before work...20 tomorrow..

Forecast bloody freezing..but no snow here,..

Pity about the cancelled races, ..

Mennania..yes its all very character building..

My work makes think I am mad running even 6 miles before a shift I don't even bother to tell them how many miles I run in a week it just sounds stupid or they wouldn't believe it..

20/01/2013 at 08:52

Sorry to see about all the cancelled races.  Last year I ran the cancelled Watford Half-Marathon on my treadmill rather than mess about trying to rearrange my plan.  It was better than nothing.

NN - I probably wouldn't consider running on a treadmill if I lived in your area of the country!  You're the second person I've seen mention those Yaktrax.  Do they last a long time?  Also, do they make you run differently?

Mark1981 - thanks for the help.  The calf drops certainly hit the spot, so hopefully it's no big deal.  

NP - hope you're 20 miler goes / is going well.  I've got my first one in another fortnight.

20/01/2013 at 09:53

Ten, I've got yaktrax too. They don't make you run differently as far as I can tell, but you can feel they're there. I'm going to take them on my 20 miler in the pocket of my bottle bag and put them on if I feel like I'm slipping in my trail shoes. They're fine and make you feel safe, but I'll be more comfortable not wearing them unless I have to. I used them last winter before I had trail shoes, so they've lasted at least that long. Only thing they're not good for is running over wet metal manhole covers.

20/01/2013 at 10:28

Hello - just back from 18mi in 2hr13. For the 10 MP miles it was hard to keep an even pace due to ice/obstacles etc., was aiming for 6.40 min/mi but everytime looked at garmin was somewhere between 6.25 and 7.00 min/mi.

20/01/2013 at 10:51

Well ran 15W, just about to do likewise although 7.15 aim for MP miles and judging by snow/ice may have to do those miles on the treadie.

Good luck for all other long runs today in harsh conditions including NN after working a night shift 

20/01/2013 at 12:25

Only managed 10.85 miles on the treadmill.  Couldn't take the heat and humidity any more.  Really disappointed at not completeing my run. Snowing heavily here so outside not practicle.  Beginning to hate the snow.

20/01/2013 at 13:56

Well I am up and thinking about it.. had brekky..just waiting for it to go down a bit..

15w nice running it must be so nice being able to run that fast and an 18 miler done in the time it would take me to do 15 !!

Ten I did feel a bit cautious at first with the on but soon got my confidence and my pacing wasn't affected, I used them for weeks a couple of years ago, and they are good to go now, but I haven't need them yet

SR 10.85 is a damn sight further than I could manage on a treddy....my eldest son is also moaning about the snow he lives in Surrey too and is training for a half..he  was hoping to get a 15 done today..my grand kids there love it though..

20/01/2013 at 14:26

Litertin well done on your recovery run hope your long run went ok and a nice 69 for the week.

15 West well done on your long run, nice that you where able to get close to some MP Miles in it.

NN good luck on your Long run

Markf enjoy your treadmill run and MP sections in it.

SR Well done on your 10 miles on the treadmill.

Well 20.34m in 02:39:20 over 90% of this was in the snow and at one point in a bit of a blizzard, the last 5 miles in to a head wind that was bitterly cold, glad its out the way hot bath and defrost, will get on the foam roller later.

20/01/2013 at 15:13

Wow, NP, no blizzards here so now I can't really complain about conditions for my long run! We didn't get the extra snow we'd been forecast here, so instead pavements were a bit icy but the paths by the river were more just hard-packed snow that I could get an okay grip on in my trail shoes. So I did the 20 miles in 2:48 and wasn't going to worry about pace too much but in the end found I was able to hit more or less the paces I was aiming for as the ground wasn't too slippy. First and last miles a bit slower because of icy pavements, but miles 2-9 around 8:45ish, then speeding up to between 8 and 8:15 for the next five miles, then 7:50 for miles 16-19 until I had to slow down again.

Well done to everyone who got out, but even more so to anyone sensible enough to know not to when conditions are too bad! (I think I would find that even harder)

20/01/2013 at 15:18

Afternoon all

Sorry to hear of all the cancelled races/disrupted plans to training etc due to the weather - seem to have escaped it all here in North Devon (bit of snow overnight on Thursday but was all gone by Friday afternoon)

Well just completed week 5 of the schedule with the 18M MP run this morning. Ran the 1st 6M @ 7:30 pace then 6.46, 6.46, 6.36, 6.42, 6.34, 6.27, 6.28, 6.36, 6.39, 6.37 and then a 2M cool down (7.24, 8.14) to finish - feel tired but satisfied that the 10M MP section seemed comfortable

Hope everyone's runs go well today

20/01/2013 at 16:18

It has been snowing here all day.  Very fine snow, but it has been non-stop.  I'd actually like to go out for an easy run, but am sticking to my planned rest day.

Thanks for further info on Yaktrax NN/Literatin.  I was pleased how steady my trail shoes were yesterday, but unfortunately they do not cope so well on compacted ice.

Great pacing Dave - looks like you had a great confidence booster.

Well done with the 20+ NP, especially in the current conditions.

I'll be doing tomorrow's LT session on the treadmill.  If my calf injury holds up, I hope to get outside again midweek.

20/01/2013 at 16:20

Sorry to hear about all the cancelled races. We still haven't had any snow apart from high on the hills.

Lot's of big mileages posted today. Well done to NP and Literatin with their 20's.

I did 17 miles this morning with 10 at PMP, tbh they were probably closer to HMP as they were all between 6.44 to 6.52. (I must learn some self restraint.)

The last time that I ran this route was just 3 weeks before I ran last years Edinburgh Marathon. Today I did it 13 minutes quicker than last year (despite averaging 9.30 for the first 5 miles today) and my avg HR was 3 bpm lower than last year.

The last 13.1 miles of todays run (which included 1 mile of my 5 warm up & 2.1 miles cool down) took just under 1hr 33min which I'm very happy with considering my PB for a half is 1hr 39min (In September 12).

I can't wait until I actually race a half, unfortunately that's not until the middle of March.

Today's run brings my weekly total to about 43 miles which I appreciate is low in comparison to some of you monsters but it is my highest weekly total ever. I'm feeling good but still looking forward to next weeks recovery week.

20/01/2013 at 16:36

Good running all.

Looks like we're getting a dog.

20/01/2013 at 16:45
15West wrote (see)

Good running all.

Looks like we're getting a dog.

I hope it can run!!

20/01/2013 at 16:53
Well Ive managed to do most of the miles... Yesterday should have been 5 miles recovery and since we'd had snow I figured I would do it outside. However there isn't much footfall where I run and it was rather deep as the snowplough had shoved a lot onto the pavement. It was really tough running and my hr was well above 85% whr after about a minute and I couldn't go any slower so I turned round after a mile so did 2.

Today I decided there was no hope of achieving MP so did it all on the treadmill - 16 miles with 10 at MP. 5 miles at 9:50, 1 mile increasing to MP and then 6 at 9:13, with the last 4 at 9:05. 2:30 on the treadmill and a litre of water drunk. I'm considering it warm weather training! Now just consumed a cheese toast and caramel shortcake

Shame about the races and good running from everyone lots of long stuff going on.
20/01/2013 at 17:15

Fiona, 2:30 on the treadmill is incredible. I've only just started using one and only as a last resort, and I've yet to last longer than about half an hour.

20/01/2013 at 17:31
Fiona J wrote (see)
I'm considering it warm weather training! 

Good run and great attitude Fiona.  This kind of training is good preparation IMHO. The problem with a spring marathon is that it is often run under much warmer conditions than we are used to training in during winter.  

20/01/2013 at 17:47
Hi all,

I have had the last 10 days off due to a calf strain, and am trying to decide whether to follow what it says in P&D about returning after an injury.

I should be just starting week 14 of the P&D 55-70 programme, but given that weeks 15 and 16 were non-existent, I am tempted to have a week of just running to feel before I get back into proper training.

What experience have others had of coming back from an injury?
1,161 to 1,180 of 5,754 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.